JeriL new and desperate about clonazepam taper, being prescribed other drugs

JeriL

I'm a new member, just joined because of Altostrata, having seen her here and a few other places.

I have only recently become a drug casualty, although I used Lexapro for a couple of years (can't remember exactly, though I went off w/o much trouble in summer 2010 after a fire we had; I was too distracted to take the pills regularly and despite the fire was not feeling depressed. I'd started while caretaking my mother a few years earlier, I'd have to get the dates from the p doc) and she also put me on Lamotrigine for "unipolar depression" at 100 mg., which I eventually tapered down to 25 as I just didn't feel the need...but when I wanted to go down further, she got angry and said I'd need to be on "forever". I insisted on the 5 mg. chewables and did go to 20 this summer, but this was around when other things happened so I don't know if that was a problem. BTW, I'm 56.

Due to overtreatment of thyroid, I went hyperthyroid over the summer/fall and developed weird symptoms of temperature changes (kind of like hot flashes but long-lasting), jitteriness and trouble sleeping, mostly from being so hot. I've read Alto's experiences with something like that related to high cortisol, which I tested as having back then, too.

Anyways,I stupidly used up a supply of Lunesta I had left over (from a 3-month period in summer 2011 during our rebuild when I got off that easily after 3 or 4 sleepless nights)and then got more from p doc, but soon needed 2 3mgs.This caused enormous anxiety, although we didn't realize it at the time. I was on that dose only a few weeks, so about 6 wks of intermittent then regular use.

Then hubbie and I figured out the Lunesta was causing the weirdness and

went to p doc then;she had me taper off pretty fast, just over a week, and right away w/d was awful, esp. rebound insomnia but also anxiety.

So a local naturopathic-type practitioner I see tried to help me with various amino acids and sleep stuff like Kavinace PM (GABA, 5htp and melatonin), we even checked with a detox facilty in Arizona about what they used to help people. I was getting some sleep back, kind of, but my anxiety wasn't completely resolving, and then disaster hit mid-December. I was experiencing sinus problems that affected my breathing and had two panic attacks, at the 2nd one on the 15th they gave me lorazepam in the ER which did work great to calm me down and sleep that night. As the p doc had given me a small supply for "occasional" use during the Lunesta w/d, I did use them a couple times more over the week.

I then consulted a doctor here about both the sinus issue and sleep, and because he was concerned about giving me sleep aids plus the anxiety I was experiencing, he prescribed clonazepam. I had SWORN no benzos after reading how similar the Z-drugs are, and then I tried them a few times- again,every few days- and while my anxiety seemed to get WORSE [prob because of that week of intermittent use???)I broke down and started using them every day. First .5 at night, then added .25 during the day.

So here I am after 2 weeks of regular use and 2 weeks of the 3 Ativans in a week and several clonazepams the following week.

Now the p doc and regular doc want me off the clonazepam even though it definitely stabilized me nicely and gave me some precious sleep...they want me on something else. P doc prescribed Bu-Spar and Trazadone and wanted me to cut the clon down immediately to .25 at night and start the other 2 drugs. I've taken 2 Bu-Spars;some major dizziness yesterday and horrible sleep last night despite still taking the clon at bedtime. But I was very "worked up", honestly after reading stuff on here, b/c I'm freaked now.

Alto, I don't know what to do. They otherwise want me on an A/D for anxiety, not depression, but I don't want that!!!!! If I can just settle my system down, get off drugs and survive not sleeping again until hopefully I get back to who and what I was a few months ago [fairly normal, honestly] well, I guess I'm asking if you think that's possible and what the heck to do now-taper the clon slowly, not take anything else if I can, maybe maybe use the Trazadone occasionally for sleep??? She earlier prescribed Doxepin which is still sitting in my med drawer, a drawer I want to empty!!!

The clock is ticking for me now and I'm almost paralyzed with fear, which doesn't help. I need stabilty to do some therapy to undo the weirdness of the past few months- I got so psychologically dependant on my husband it's an effort to let him out of my sight.

I'm also currently on BHRT- estradiol and progesterone- and have NO IDEA how that may effect this mix!!!! Supposedly testing shows high cortisol esp. at night, high norepinephrine, low dopamine. The trazadone really scares me in that regard, BTW. But I sure will hate to stop sleeping AGAIN as I did after the Lunesta disaster w/d.

PLEASE if anyone has any thoughts/experience with Klon/clon and tapers, suggestions for any other med if I had to take one to help w/sx's, thoughts about the hormonal/adrenal pieces of the puzzle, I'll be eternally grateful.God bless you for any help.

Your new friend/member,

Jeri L.

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks

On Lexapro (dosage?) approx. 2008-2010; got off fairly easily missing doses due to distraction of having had a major fire!!

Put on Lamictal/Lamotrigine (for 'inipolar despression') around same time, 100 mg. but went down to 25 and held until Aug. 2013 when I tried to taper to 20 using 5 mg. chewables. Re-instated to 25 recently.

Anxiety increased due to becoming hyperthyroid on Armour fall 2013, started having trouble sleeping, began using up Lunesta prescription from 2011 when I used for 3 months and went off c/t. Sleep resumed after 3 or 4 sleepless nights at the time.

Tapered too fast off Lunesta early Nov. 2013 and dx'ed w/PAWS. Sleep bad but improving a little w/natural sleep aids.

Had two panic attacks after sinus infection/breathing issues and prescribed lorazepam as needed 12/15. Doctor added clonazepam 12/23 .5mg at bedtime and during day if needed for anxiety and sleep. Been on .25 day and .5 nightly for about 2 weeks. Doc and p doc want me off clon and prescribed Bu-Spar 10 mg. and Trazadone 50 mg.

Have taken 2 Bu-Spars and experienced dizziness and sleeplessness, which had been better on clonazepam. Really don't want to be on FOUR psych meds!!! Here for help/advice!!

Current: .75 clonazepam divided doses, 25 mg. Lamictal, 200 mg. oral progesterone, .3625 mg. estradiol cream

OFF the clonazepam one week!!! So far, so good; did a dry-cut taper for 6 months.

• Administrator

Welcome, JeriL.

I have only recently become a drug casualty, although I used Lexapro for a couple of years (can't remember exactly, though I went off w/o much trouble in summer 2010 ....I'd started while caretaking my mother a few years earlier, I'd have to get the dates from the p doc) and she also put me on Lamotrigine for "unipolar depression" at 100 mg., which I eventually tapered down to 25 as I just didn't feel the need...but when I wanted to go down further, she got angry and said I'd need to be on "forever". I insisted on the 5 mg. chewables and did go to 20 this summer, but this was around when other things happened so I don't know if that was a problem. BTW, I'm 56.

It sounds to me like you had situational depression and were overdiagnosed and overmedicated. This, and that your psychiatrist gets angry when you want to go off the drugs indicates to me that she is not a good doctor.

Due to overtreatment of thyroid, I went hyperthyroid over the summer/fall and developed weird symptoms of temperature changes (kind of like hot flashes but long-lasting), jitteriness and trouble sleeping, mostly from being so hot....

Anyways,I stupidly used up a supply of Lunesta I had left over....

Then hubbie and I figured out the Lunesta was causing the weirdness and

went to p doc then;she had me taper off pretty fast, just over a week, and right away w/d was awful, esp. rebound insomnia but also anxiety.

You went off the Lunesta last fall?

So a local naturopathic-type practitioner I see tried to help me with various amino acids and sleep stuff like Kavinace PM (GABA, 5htp and melatonin), we even checked with a detox facilty in Arizona about what they used to help people. I was getting some sleep back, kind of, but my anxiety wasn't completely resolving, and then disaster hit mid-December. I was experiencing sinus problems that affected my breathing and had two panic attacks, at the 2nd one on the 15th they gave me lorazepam in the ER which did work great to calm me down and sleep that night. As the p doc had given me a small supply for "occasional" use during the Lunesta w/d, I did use them a couple times more over the week.

Are you still taking any of these supplements?

I then consulted a doctor here about both the sinus issue and sleep, and because he was concerned about giving me sleep aids plus the anxiety I was experiencing, he prescribed clonazepam. I had SWORN no benzos after reading how similar the Z-drugs are, and then I tried them a few times- again,every few days- and while my anxiety seemed to get WORSE [prob because of that week of intermittent use???)I broke down and started using them every day. First .5 at night, then added .25 during the day.

It sounds like you were getting rebound anxiety from the clonazepam. This is exactly how people become dependent on benzos.

So here I am after 2 weeks of regular use and 2 weeks of the 3 Ativans in a week and several clonazepams the following week.

What exactly are you taking every day? What time of day do you take each drug?

Now the p doc and regular doc want me off the clonazepam even though it definitely stabilized me nicely and gave me some precious sleep...they want me on something else. P doc prescribed Bu-Spar and Trazadone and wanted me to cut the clon down immediately to .25 at night and start the other 2 drugs. I've taken 2 Bu-Spars;some major dizziness yesterday and horrible sleep last night despite still taking the clon at bedtime. But I was very "worked up", honestly after reading stuff on here, b/c I'm freaked now.

You may have to find 2 new doctors. You had an adverse reaction to Buspar. You need to reduce the clonazepam gradually.

Alto, I don't know what to do. They otherwise want me on an A/D for anxiety, not depression, but I don't want that!!!!! If I can just settle my system down, get off drugs and survive not sleeping again until hopefully I get back to who and what I was a few months ago [fairly normal, honestly] well, I guess I'm asking if you think that's possible and what the heck to do now-taper the clon slowly, not take anything else if I can, maybe maybe use the Trazadone occasionally for sleep??? She earlier prescribed Doxepin which is still sitting in my med drawer, a drawer I want to empty!!!

The clock is ticking for me now and I'm almost paralyzed with fear, which doesn't help. I need stabilty to do some therapy to undo the weirdness of the past few months- I got so psychologically dependant on my husband it's an effort to let him out of my sight.

We can't tell you what drugs to take to compensate for your adverse drug effects and nervous system sensitized by Lunesta withdrawal. We can't predict what will work (and neither can your doctors).

Please do your best to stay calm. You are correct, your nervous system needs stability. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

for benzo suggestions.

Your first priority should be to find a doctor who will support you in tapering off the benzo. You may need to be very firm with your current doctor. You should fire the psychiatrist.

I'm also currently on BHRT- estradiol and progesterone- and have NO IDEA how that may effect this mix!!!! Supposedly testing shows high cortisol esp. at night, high norepinephrine, low dopamine. The trazadone really scares me in that regard, BTW. But I sure will hate to stop sleeping AGAIN as I did after the Lunesta disaster w/d.

Yes, hormone therapy does affect how women react to psychiatric drugs, and the hormones themselves have side effects. How long have you been on your current BHRT regimen?

Please disregard anything the naturopath told you. Very few naturopaths, or psychiatrists, or GPs know anything about adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. I do not recommend that clinic in Arizona.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for replying, Alto :) Well, let's see: right now I take the .25 at about 1:30 and then the .5 at 10;00 or so. I haven't taken an Ativan since last week, once on a really bad night. I take the 25 mg Lamictal when I get up, about 7 a.m. (sleep or no sleep.)

As for the supplements: yes, until literally today I've been taking things like glycine and taurine, fish oil, methyl B vits, magnesium glycinate, and an amino acid powder mixture to rebuild neurotransmitters. I was hesitant about the 5HTP and l-tyrosine, thought they might be making me more anxious.

I did see elsewhere here that people have to be careful with supplements when tapering/withdrawing. Do you believe Seriphos/phos serine is OK?

I have literally no idea who else I'd see, as the psych is the only one in the county. MAYBE one of the docs on the benzo list, in a neighboring state??

I did the Lunesta taper in early November; from 6 to 3 mgs, then 4 days of 2 and the same of 1 and then done. W/d hit pretty hard the very next day, and of course sleep went to hell.

I know I need to taper sloooowly, just don't quite know how. 10% cuts if we can figure out the math and method?? Dry or some sort of titration (can't do milk, I'm allergic) or get it compounded or???

Thanks for the encouragement: do I hear you pretty much say forget the Trazadone, too?? Sure don't expect to sleep much again soon, that was tough going over 2 months with only a few hours sleep.

Oh, as for the hormones: I was on 100 mg. progesterone cream from May until Sept. when a salivary test showed sky-high tissue levels. I went off that, but was put on estradiol when we thought the weird heat issue was vasomotor, and then N.P. insisted I go back on P, so she gave me the 200 mg. oral for sedation effect. I also take 30 mg. Armour in the morning, too.

I look forward to others chiming in soon, I sure need a plan.

Thanks again, Alto.

Jeri

Edited by JeriL

On Lexapro (dosage?) approx. 2008-2010; got off fairly easily missing doses due to distraction of having had a major fire!!

Put on Lamictal/Lamotrigine (for 'inipolar despression') around same time, 100 mg. but went down to 25 and held until Aug. 2013 when I tried to taper to 20 using 5 mg. chewables. Re-instated to 25 recently.

Anxiety increased due to becoming hyperthyroid on Armour fall 2013, started having trouble sleeping, began using up Lunesta prescription from 2011 when I used for 3 months and went off c/t. Sleep resumed after 3 or 4 sleepless nights at the time.

Tapered too fast off Lunesta early Nov. 2013 and dx'ed w/PAWS. Sleep bad but improving a little w/natural sleep aids.

Had two panic attacks after sinus infection/breathing issues and prescribed lorazepam as needed 12/15. Doctor added clonazepam 12/23 .5mg at bedtime and during day if needed for anxiety and sleep. Been on .25 day and .5 nightly for about 2 weeks. Doc and p doc want me off clon and prescribed Bu-Spar 10 mg. and Trazadone 50 mg.

Have taken 2 Bu-Spars and experienced dizziness and sleeplessness, which had been better on clonazepam. Really don't want to be on FOUR psych meds!!! Here for help/advice!!

Current: .75 clonazepam divided doses, 25 mg. Lamictal, 200 mg. oral progesterone, .3625 mg. estradiol cream

OFF the clonazepam one week!!! So far, so good; did a dry-cut taper for 6 months.

• Administrator

Any of those supplements could be adding to your sleeplessness, although magnesium and fish oil are less likely.

How did you add the supplements, one at a time or all at once? Could you tell if any one supplement was helping?

It's possible your thyroid supplementation is not correct. That could also be adding to your symptoms.

Trazodone is not a cure-all; take it at your own risk.

What is your daily symptom pattern? Keep notes on paper to track this.

You might have a frank talk with your psychiatrist to see if you can continue working with him or her. If not, any doctor can write prescriptions for psychiatric drugs. Are you seeing any you feel you can trust?

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

for benzo suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.