HennyPenny68: Intro

hennypenny68

Moderator note: link to HennyPenny68's benzo thread - hennypenny68: Benzo withdrawal or Paroxetine causing Panic Attacks?

2009 Effexor a couple months switched to 40 mg paxil
Reduced to 20 mg Paxil 2009
2013 March basically c/t'd suffered w/d reinstated 20 mg
April - October tapered by 1/4th of Paxil
Off paxil completely October
Body crashed November 12th
Ambien 5 mg since 2009 - December 3rd 2013
Reinstated 10 mg paxil November 25th
Diazepam 5 mg December 3rd - December 13th 2013
Used Ambien 5mg a few nights
Diazepam 2.5 mg since December 20th 2013 for sleep
Diazepam stopped January 4th 2013

Not doing well at all even after reinstating the paxil in November.  I don't understand what is wrong with my body. I've been experiencing some extreme panic, nervous, fear type episodes when I try to exert my body. I can get up and move around but when I sit back down it comes on strong. As soon as it happens I feel short of breath, and my body is shaking. It's so strong that I cannot control it. Also, I experience immediate weakness in my muscles and when I try to use them, that's when I really feel the shakiness. I know it's a no no but it was so bad that I ended up taking a xanax. I'm stuck in a bad spot. I experienced this attack in November and I have not been right since. I can't live like this.

Edited by Shep
added mod note and link to benzo thread

Prozac in the 90's for a few months Effexor a few months in 2009 Switched to Paxil 40 mg in 2009 then tapered to 20 mg March 2010 -2013
Tapered Paxil in 2013 from April - October by 1/4th of a pill until completely off October 2013
Reinstated 10 mg Paxil November 25th 2013
Diazepam 5 mg for 10 days November 27th 2013 

Started Diazepam 5 mg December 20th 2013
Jumped around on diazepam dosages
Reduced Paxil to 7.5 mg  April 15th 2014
Updosed Paxil 10 mg July 2016 - current
Started having more symptoms June 3rd, 2014 and would take rescue doses of Diazepam
Started taking 2.5 mg Diazepam 3 x daily June 14th, 2014 = 7.5 mg started micro taper, would take rescue dose and took a 2 mg rescue dose 3 days prior to last dose stopped at 0.004 mg January 13th, 2018

Also take Levothyroxine, Asacol HD, Montelukast, Low dose Aspirin, Guafenesin, Metoprolol, Melatonin

Not doing well at all even after reinstating the paxil in November.  I don't understand what is wrong with my body. I've been experiencing some extreme panic, nervous, fear type episodes when I try to exert my body. I can get up and move around but when I sit back down it comes on strong. As soon as it happens I feel short of breath, and my body is shaking. It's so strong that I cannot control it. Also, I experience immediate weakness in my muscles and when I try to use them, that's when I really feel the shakiness. I know it's a no no but it was so bad that I ended up taking a xanax. I'm stuck in a bad spot. I experienced this attack in November and I have not been right since. I can't live like this.

Prozac in the 90's for a few months Effexor a few months in 2009 Switched to Paxil 40 mg in 2009 then tapered to 20 mg March 2010 -2013
Tapered Paxil in 2013 from April - October by 1/4th of a pill until completely off October 2013

Started having more symptoms June 3rd, 2014 and would take rescue doses of Diazepam
Started taking 2.5 mg Diazepam 3 x daily June 14th, 2014 = 7.5 mg started micro taper, would take rescue dose and took a 2 mg rescue dose 3 days prior to last dose stopped at 0.004 mg January 13th, 2018

Also take Levothyroxine, Asacol HD, Montelukast, Low dose Aspirin, Guafenesin, Metoprolol, Melatonin

Hi hennypenny, sorry you are in a bad state.  Maybe you are having a reinstatement reaction? I reinstated Celexa after being off a year and it caused a reaction.  Sometimes, for whatever reason, on reinstating the drug won't mask the withdrawal (though I didn't have any--I took it thinking it would help a situational problem.  Big mistake.) Look up kindling, it could be that.  However, I believe it's also possible if you reinstated and didn't stick to one dose that you could experience instability.  Have you been changing the dose a lot?  How long were you off the drug before you reinstated? 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hennypenny, I'm glad you found us.It isn't surprising you are suffering,

you have had a lot of changes there, and stopping the diazepam will not be helping, people can become

addicted after a very short time. No blame for trying it, withdrawal is a nightmare and most of us have ended up

here in desperation after trying everything.  Do not despair though, things can get better.

If I were you I would reinstate the diazepam at a low dose regularly to keep a stable amount in your system, you

can taper that later.. You are probably suffering some withdrawal from that too. ( Of course that is if your doctor will write the script ) . 

It is also possible that the paxil dose is too high, we often become sensitised after being off them for a time, but I think I

would try the diazepam first. Diazepam is better than xanax because it stays in the body for longer. Xanax is eliminated quite quickly 

meaning you have to take every 4 hours to maintain a steady level, otherwise you are experiencin withdrawal in between doses.. 

We don't recommend anyone to start using benzodiazepines in withdrawal, but if you are already taking them it is best to taper the

anti depressant first. As you were already taking diazepam and probably suffering withdrawal it could help. 

Someone else will be along shortly with more experience than I, to confirm or amend what I am suggesting.  

This is what I would do based on everything I have experienced and learned here.

It would help if you could copy and paste your drugs list into your signature,  Here is how to do that. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I was off the drug 6 weeks when I had an attack.  I originally had been on 20 mg and tapered by chopping 1/4th of a pill and would stay on that for a month until I was completely off.  When I reinstated November 25th, I reinstated to 10 mg.  There has been no change in my condition.

• Administrator

Welcome, Hennypenny.

Did reinstatement of the Paxil reduce your withdrawal symptoms at all?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Merged your topics. Please add your questions and updates to your Intro topic so your story is all in one place.

In answer to your question "What is wrong with me?" please read the pinned topics at the top of the Symptoms forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

I see from your post in the merged topic that reinstatement didn't help. Did any of your symptoms get worse from taking Paxil again?

Was there a period when you took Ambien or a benzo every day for a while?

• 4 years later...

I don't think my symptoms got worse after reinstating the Paxil but I was still having severe panic, and terror non stop and unable to function.  There was a period where I took Ambien every day for probably a year when I got disabled from the crash.  I didn't stop the ambien at that time but it was not helping my severe insomnia until I got put on the 5 mg diazepam.   In June 2014 I updosed diazepam to 7.5 mg divided daily into 3 doses and stabilized.

I have done a very long slow liquid micro taper off of diazepam since June 2014 and took my last dose 8 days ago.  I have been having severe unrelenting panic attacks and terror and am not able to function.  In fact I have not had a smooth taper at all and would get the attacks and would take rescue doses of diazepam occasionally throughout the taper.  I have noticed the last couple days that I take my 10 mg Paroxetine dose around 2 pm and by 3 pm I start having the severe panic attacks.  Is this a coincidence or could the paroxetine be causing the attacks or is it benzo withdrawal?  

I have been very ill ever since I attempted the first withdrawal of paroxetine in 2013.  The diazepam seemed to help me be able to function a little but now without it I feel like I am in the same shape that I was then.  Feeling scared this isn't caused by the meds and this is just how my body is :(  Got any ideas?

• ChessieCat changed the title to HennyPenny68: Intro

Hi HennyPenny--  Congratulations on getting off the Benzo, well done on a successful taper.  From now on I would avoid taking "rescue doses" for any reason, even if the Paxil is causing trouble.

Reading through your signature a couple of things stand out for me. For background information, Paxil can be very tricky to taper, it is quite unpredictable and can cause adverse reactions when ever it feels like it.  It also can leave the body in a very sensitized state if it have been removed too quickly.  This is what I think happened to you back in the summer of 2013.  The WD symptoms and sensitivity set off a long round of tapering and increasing different drugs that left your body more and more sensitive.  So now, when you take your paxil dose in the afternoon you get an adverse reaction which causes the spike in anxiety and panic. Knowing that you are going to feel bad when you take the dose adds to the situation and increases the symptoms.

You've only been off the Diazepam for just over a week.  We usually recommend that a person wait several months after stopping a drug, before they start a new taper.  Their body needs the additional time to stabilize and adjust before starting to make more changes.  Are your symptoms tolerable?  I suspect that you will see an improvement in them over the next several weeks as your body adjusts and it really would be best if you could wait before starting to taper the paxil.

As far as the Paxil goes, with the adverse reaction the only way out is down.  Once your body has had a chance to adjust to the lack of the benzo it would be a good idea to start tapering the Paxil.  This should not be rushed, even though it will be uncomfortable.  It is very important to keep it slow and controlled as your body is quite sensitive to any changes.  I think starting with a 10% Brassmonkey Slide would let us see how well you react to tapering and keep the WD symptoms to a minimum.  If it causes too many symptoms then we could drop down to a 5% slide.  Because of the adverse reaction I think the 10% would be better as we would want to reduce the drug load quickly while maintaining control.  Anything faster would cause a backlog of symptoms to build up, which could cause trouble down the road.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having this bad reaction, but I think we can get things under control.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator
On 1/23/2018 at 12:21 PM, hennypenny68 said:

I have noticed the last couple days that I take my 10 mg Paroxetine dose around 2 pm and by 3 pm I start having the severe panic attacks.  Is this a coincidence or could the paroxetine be causing the attacks or is it benzo withdrawal?  

Yes, 10mg paroxetine could be causing those symptoms. Suggest you move it earlier in the day to see if the symptoms follow. If they do, that's an indicate 10mg is too high a dose for you.

What was your benzo taper schedule? You had withdrawal symptoms from decreasing the benzo throughout your taper? Were you taking the benzo to counter side effects from Paxil?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, 10mg paroxetine could be causing those symptoms. Suggest you move it earlier in the day to see if the symptoms follow. If they do, that's an indicate 10mg is too high a dose for you.

What was your benzo taper schedule? You had withdrawal symptoms from decreasing the benzo throughout your taper? Were you taking the benzo to counter side effects from Paxil?

I started on the benzo to counteract the withdrawal symptoms that I was experiencing after I had done a taper off of 20 mg paroxetine.  At the time I did not know they were withdrawal symptoms because I was off of the paroxetine for 6 weeks when I basically crashed and became housebound.  I was suffering severe insomnia that I went to the doctor for and she gave me the diazepam.  I took it nightly for a few weeks and then I would take varying doses for a month and finally stuck with one dose and then embarked on a very long slow liquid micro taper where I would remove a micro cut daily.  A few times, I updosed, and a few times I held but throughout the taper I would experience some of the same withdrawal symptoms of panic attacks, and would take rescue doses.   I reinstated 10 mg of paroxetine back in November 2013 after I had the crash and have been taking it ever since with a couple times that I tried to do a taper of it along with the benzo taper and would fail and go back up to 10 mg.  I have been steady on 10 mg paroxetine since August 2016.

Henny

• Administrator

So you had a resurgence of symptoms after you stopped diazepam?

I have an increase in intensity of symptoms since stopping the diazepam, however, I am continuing to have some symptoms that began after I stopped the paroxetine in 2013 even though I reinstated 10 mg and they have continued throughout the benzo taper.

• Administrator

Looks like reinstatement of a low dose of diazepam is called for.

What symptoms do you attribute to paroxetine withdrawal rather than benzo tapering?

When was the last time you had your thyroid medication rebalanced?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Looks like reinstatement of a low dose of diazepam is called for.

What symptoms do you attribute to paroxetine withdrawal rather than benzo tapering?

When was the last time you had your thyroid medication rebalanced?

I started with body pain after I tapered the paroxetine and that has remained throughout.  Also, I continue to have severe anxiety that has kept me from doing things that I normally could do prior to the paroxetine withdrawal. For example, I am unable to sit comfortably at a table to eat a meal.  I have to sit in a recliner.  When I try to sit up to eat a meal at a table I start to feel so uncomfortable physically that it becomes intolerable to sit there.  And also when I have to go anywhere, I have to sit hunched over with my legs up in the seat so I can rest my upper body against them.  I become very restless and agitated because of how uncomfortable I begin to feel.  I had these symptoms even throughout my benzo taper, however, I was able to manage and could still go a few places.  I really don't know if this is caused by my normal anxiety or not and since I no longer have the full dose of paroxetine, then maybe this is me underneath it.  It's very hard to discern what is causing what because I do also have some chronic health problems but the doctor says none of them should be causing these particular symptoms that I have.

I recently had my thyroid checked when these symptoms became intense again and they said it all checked out fine.  I have never been told by a doctor that what I have been experiencing are panic attacks but I continue to have these attacks that cause such severe symptoms that I can't tolerate them.  I assume they are panic attacks but I am unable to control them.  I'm always left very weak and unable to function once I have them.  It's like my whole body crashes and it literally takes me months to get better and I feel like a bundle of nerves and shake all the time and insomnia ensues.  I feel like a scared, wild eyed, caged animal in my inner being and no matter how much I try to be reasonalble with myself and try to think rationally, it doesn't help the symptoms.  

• Administrator

What do you mean by "uncomfortable"?

What was your withdrawal symptom pattern while you were reducing diazepam? In other words, what symptoms did you attribute to the diazepam cuts?

On 1/27/2018 at 10:04 PM, Altostrata said:

What do you mean by "uncomfortable"?

When I'm uncomfortable it means I feel physically distressed in my body and can't tolerate the sensations that I'm feeling.  It feels like it exhausts me to sit straight up in a hard chair because I'm working so hard at it that my body has to be all stiff or I begin to feel so weak that I start to hunch over and feel like I'm short of breath and at that point I'm not able to carry on a conversation and it's very hard for me to eat my food.  I also have a hard time being relaxed around people now and like having to carry on a conversation with them is exhausting and makes me restless and want to squirm around in my body a lot.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:04 PM, Altostrata said:

What was your withdrawal symptom pattern while you were reducing diazepam? In other words, what symptoms did you attribute to the diazepam cuts?

During my diazepam taper I have been experiencing hypnic jerks, adrenaline rushes, body pain, flu like symptoms, panic attacks, unable to focus, brain fog, exhaustion, derealization, an intense feeling of fear and dread.

I think I got bad advice on benzo tapering because I was doing a daily liquid micro taper with no scheduled holds and would make a tiny micro cut daily and was only supposed to hold when I got symptoms.

So should I just stay off of the diazepam now and just wait everything out again?  I am still continuing to have panic attacks and an intense feeling of terror that feels far worse than any normal fear should be and my sleep is not very good either.  I have been taking 3 mg melatonin at night and I can get to sleep but I wake up several times and my body is always hurting so badly that it is hard to get comfortable.  I dread waking up because that's when I feel the most immobile and stuck in my bed due to the intense feeling of panic coming over me and exertion on getting up and doing things seems to make it worse.  And if I'm not having panic then my muscles hurt and burn so bad when I get up to walk and I'm exhausted and feel like a  heavy fog is on top of me.  Late evenings seem to be better however.

• Administrator

I believe you're working with Shep on the benzo reinstatement?

If you're feeling a little better in the evening, try to get out and walk around a bit. Gentle exercise will help your body fix itself.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, hennypenny68 said:

So should I just stay off of the diazepam now and just wait everything out again?

Please see our discussion over in the benzo section starting here

4 hours ago, hennypenny68 said:

I have been taking 3 mg melatonin at night and I can get to sleep but I wake up several times and my body is always hurting so badly that it is hard to get comfortable. 

3 mg melatonin is likely too high a dose. It may be causing a paradoxical reaction and making your sleep worse.  Please see this thread for more information about how to take melatonin:

Melatonin for sleep

I would decrease the melatonin to no more than .25 mg - .5 mg and see how you do. 

You may also be experiencing side effects from your other drugs. How often to you take Montelukast (Singulair) and Guaifenesin (cold & cough med / expectorant)? How do you feel after you take them - do they make you sleepy or agitated? 

18 hours ago, Shep said:

How often to you take Montelukast (Singulair) and Guaifenesin (cold & cough med / expectorant)? How do you feel after you take them - do they make you sleepy or agitated? 

I take the montelukast and guafenesin every evening and have not noticed any negative effects after taking them.  I am usually better in the evening as opposed to waking up and most of the day.  

I will try taking reduced doses of melatonin at night and see how it goes.

How can I figure out if I'm getting too much Paroxetine?  And if I am what do I do?  Is there a blood test that determines how much paroxetine is in the blood?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Henny. A blood test can tell you how much of a drug is in your bloodstream, but that doesn't necessarily translate into it being "too much" for you personally, especially now that your nervous system is destabilized. 

Since you're on 10 mg of Paxil and Paxil's maximum dose is 60 mg, your doctor would likely tell you you're on a low dose. But with a hyper-sensitive nervous system, even a low dose can cause all sorts of symptoms. 

Your symptoms are more about withdrawal and how your brain and body are adjusting to changes than about a specific dose. It's about the rate of removing the drug and your brain and body's ability to acclimate to the reductions. 

This is a great post that explains more:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

So are you saying in your opinion that my symptoms are more likely from benzo withdrawal or from when I tried to withdraw from paroxetine back in 2013?

Do people experience delayed withdrawal symptoms?  

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, hennypenny68 said:

So are you saying in your opinion that my symptoms are more likely from benzo withdrawal or from when I tried to withdraw from paroxetine back in 2013?

Benzo and AD withdrawal are remarkably similar. For more:

Which is more difficult to withdraw - ssri vs. benzo?

3 hours ago, hennypenny68 said:

Do people experience delayed withdrawal symptoms?  

Yes, delayed withdrawal is very common:

On 2/11/2013 at 12:29 PM, Altostrata said:

Reasons why withdrawal symptoms may not be immediately apparent:

• "Washout," related to drug half-life, takes some time; minute amounts of drug in the body holding off withdrawal symptoms (particularly with long half-life drugs such as Prozac, where washout takes weeks).

• Outright misdiagnosis and mistreatment of withdrawal symptoms, causing worsening of condition.

• Symptoms are attributed to something else, such as the flu or situational stress.

• Symptoms may be mild initially and the person doesn't pay any attention to them.

• Symptoms of nervous system instability might initially be very mild with the homeostasis gradually deteriorating over time, producing more severe, noticeable symptoms.

• Other ???

The full thread is here:

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms

HP would you consider telling the Scottish govt your wdl and dependency difficulties.

see my drug sig below.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Is there anything that is sedating at all that doesn't affect serotonin? I'm in such an awful mess. Ever since I finished my diazepam taper I have been having panic attacks daily. I have been using promethazine to help and I am still taking 10 mg paroxetine. Today I was having such a hard time with my whole body feeling overly stimulated that I took a promethazine and then took my paroxetine an hour later. About a half hour later I started to feel really sick like I was going to throw up but also an all over burning feeling. I'm scared that maybe my paroxetine is causing this and scared that now I could be at risk for serotonin syndrome or neuroleptic malignant syndrome.

You are having a SERIOUS INTERACTION between the  promethazine and the paxil. 

Do not take them in any combination. 

Any medication that affects serotonin will cause a serious interaction with  promethazine increasing its effects and side effects to dangerous levels. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

You are having a SERIOUS INTERACTION between the  promethazine and the paxil. 

Do not take them in any combination. 

Any medication that affects serotonin will cause a serious interaction with  promethazine increasing its effects and side effects to dangerous levels. 

I haven't taken any more of the promethazine but what do I do now, do I go to the hospital?  Should I take my paroxetine at my regular time today?

Take the paxil as normal. It may take a day or two for the promethazine to flush out of your system, but then things should be back to baseline. Pay attention to your symptoms and make notes of anything that is different and how you react the next time you take the paxil.  Things should be fine but we should keep an eye on it for a while.

Does ranitidine raise serotonin levels and is it safe to take with paroxetine?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Henny.

There's a drug interaction checker that you may find useful:

Drug interaction checker

You can use it to check the interactions between your current drugs and any you may need in the future.

I checked Paxil and ranitidine and no interactions came up.

However, ranitidine is a PPI and can cause a lot of problems, including vitamin B12 deficiency and neurological problems. Please see Alto's first post in this thread:

Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs

You may find some helpful information in these threads about non-drug methods of addressing your symptoms, such as a change in diet. 

Acid reflux

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

I wanted to update what has been going on with me.  I went to the cardiologist for a check up because I have been having heart palpitations.  I had an echocardiogram done and they told me that my cardiac output is low at 35-40% and they want to investigate the cause so they are going to do a heart catheterization on me on Monday, February 19th to check for blockages.  I also had a heart monitor that I wore at home and they found that I have atrial flutter and he wants me to start on metoprolol 25 mg 2 x daily but I'm only supposed to take the 2nd tablet if my systolic is above 105.  They also said that the doctor will be discussing other medications he will want to put me on after my heart cath is done.  I know they said the atrial flutter puts me at risk for blood clots and most likely he will put me on a blood thinner as well.    And the last thing that I found out is that I also had a calcium score done which turned out good at 0 but the scan showed my lungs and there were a couple nodules found on my lungs and they want me to follow up with my primary care doctor for that.

This is very surprising to me because I was expecting everything to turn out normal and now I'm worried about how I'm going to handle it if I end up having a stent put in because I have never been able to exercise because of my CFS/ME and they will want to send me to cardiac rehab.  I've been so sick in the last 4 years since I've messed with the psych meds and trying to withdraw and have been mostly housebound.  I'm also experiencing mental problems along with the physical symptoms now since I've finished the valium taper.  I always have the feeling of a panic attack trying to hit me just under the surface of my skin and it feels like I could literally go crazy all the time.  Then other times I feel so fatigued I feel I can hardly move and I can't think at all or concentrate.  It's hard to stay hopeful of getting better when this has dragged on so long for me and I can't even remember what it was like when I felt semi normal and was  not housebound.  

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what's happening.  Thanks for listening.

Henny

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi hennypenny68,

And oh man, when it rains it pours, eh?  Much compassion for your current concerns.  Try to maintain hopeful, I mean I understand a bit how you feel........you had expectations of all normal tests.......and now........sheesh.......    The cardiac cathaterization MAY alleviate and interrupt the atrial flutter.  I mean let's think along those lines of hope.

Have you accessed the drug interaction checker that Shep linked you to above?  Or just access drugs.com(which is where you will find the interactions checker).  It's easy to use, and make them(prescribers) wait while you check things, if you have an android or iphone.  Or insist on talking with one of the nurses who may give you more time.

Have you been off the Promethazine completely?  Are you able to update your signature a bit as well?  That is always helpful.

The propranolol and metoprolol and paroxetine(Paxil) seem to interact moderately, which is interesting because the interaction causes cardiac output symptoms and palpitations.  Anyway....... I am hoping that the metoprolol replaces the propranolol.  What instructions were you given regarding this, if any?   And any chance yet to check on your thyroid functioning and medication? 

I mean it is still possible that things may turn out better than you anticipate.  I suspect you must have some pretty intense neuroemotions going on at this point......post tapering off the diazepam completely.  Heres a link as far as that goes.  I don't know how much you have been able to read around the site yet but it may help to realize that you are not alone with the somewhat super enhanced emotions at this point.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

1 hour ago, hennypenny68 said:

I'm also experiencing mental problems along with the physical symptoms now since I've finished the valium taper.  I always have the feeling of a panic attack trying to hit me just under the surface of my skin and it feels like I could literally go crazy all the time.

Oftentimes the mental confusion you mention is a prominent symptom of withdrawal waves and windows.  The fatigue that you also mentioned can be as well.

Are you holding steady with your dose of paroxetine now?

Thank you so much for the update hennypenny68.  I'm rooting for you from afar and through the internet.  Sometimes it helps.  Believe me.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

21 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Have you accessed the drug interaction checker that Shep linked you to above? 

Yes I did access it.

Have you been off the Promethazine completely?  Are you able to update your signature a bit as well? 

I have stopped using promethazine completely.  I will update my signature as well as I can but I do have a technical question about the signature.  It tells me I am only allowed 12 lines total and cuts off some of my information.  I have noticed other people having a lot more than that with lots of characters.  Is there a way that I can expand it?

The propranolol and metoprolol and paroxetine(Paxil) seem to interact moderately, which is interesting because the interaction causes cardiac output symptoms and palpitations.  Anyway....... I am hoping that the metoprolol replaces the propranolol.  What instructions were you given regarding this, if any?   And any chance yet to check on your thyroid functioning and medication? 

I was told by my doctor to replace the propranolol with the metoprolol so I am no longer taking propranolol.  My thyroid function has been checked very recently and it is considered in the normal range.

Are you holding steady with your dose of paroxetine now?

I have been steady with the 10 mg paroxetine since September 2016.  I have not made any changes in dosage whatsoever since then.

Thank you very much for the care and concern and encouragement.  It helps to know I'm not alone and I will update what I find out after my heart catheterization on Monday.

Henny