SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

GeekNproud:Need Help Staying Off Meds and Getting Into College/University

GeekNProud

I am a 34-year-old man legally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (a mild form of high-functioning autism) in the year 2007. I have also been legally diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive type) and Dysthmic Disorder. I was previously misdiagnosed with Tourette's Disorder at the age of 10, but that was removed from my legal diagnoses at the same time I received my Asperger diagnoses in 2007, since the Tourette's did not make much sense after all (though it is possible to have both Tourette's and Asperger's, this is not true for me). I started taking prescription medications for mental health not long after receiving my diagnoses of Tourette's Disorder at age 10. I continued taking them for the next 21 years, actively and continuosly seeing a psychiatrist, and trying probably about 15-20 different types of these prescription drugs, including antidepressants, but other types of medications for mental health as well. I was never taking more than 3 medications at once, though this was rare, and most of the time I was only taking 1-2 medications at a time and was on relatively low dosages (milligrams) for each individual medication. A couple-few of the medications, maybe about 2-4 of them, I had some success with as far as having a positive effect on my mental health and bringing some normalcy into my everyday life, but these positive effects were only temporary and short-lived, lasting only about 6 months up to 1 year for each individual medication that I had any success with, as I eventually built-up a tolerance for these medications.

I decided all on my own to withdraw from these prescription drugs in August 2011 and haven't been taking them ever since (almost 2 and 1/2 years). I have replaced them with natural herbs (St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng and Melatonin). This wasn't actually the first time I had tried this. I had tried to withdraw from my prescriptions probably up to 10 times previously during the 21 years I was taking these medications, each time lasting from as little as a couple of weeks to as long as a couple of months, even a couple-few times while I was still underage against the wishes and will of my parents, but of course once they found out, I was forced to begin taking them again. In the last 2 years alone that I was still taking my prescriptions there were 3 separate attempts that I had made to withdraw from my prescriptions, the last attempt not really an attempt, but a success, as I am, of course, 2 and 1/2 years into it and after the overall bad experience I had over the 21 years that I took those prescription medications, I have no intention of ever going back down that road again.

A MAJOR blessing for my future has come my way recently. I have been offered the opportunity to go to MAJOR 4-year University completely free of charge, no loans, no need to pay back any expenses on tuition or other costs of going to college. This is something I desperately need because even though I do have some higher education (certificates), I do not hold a degree in anything and I desperately need one to be successful in a career. There is just one catch: The people who wish to fund my college education know that I have Asperger Syndrome and that I am no longer taking prescription medications to treat it. These same people do not trust me to be able to make it through 4 years of college and are demanding that I restart my medications and keep taking them before they will fund my college education. My take on this, though, is that restarting those prescription meds is sooooo not worth it and will just cause waaaay more problems than it will ever solve, but these stubborn knuckleheads just won't listen to me! Likely the reason why they won't listen is because I am just having the hardest time explaining it to them in a way that makes sense to them. I just cannot seem to come up with the right words to say, no matter how hard I try. I need some help. I need to be pointed in the right direction. I don't want to explain or go into detail about my individual specific circumstances here just for privacy reasons, so I just need some good resources for general information, especially and specifically for people on the high-functioning end of the autistic spectrum. I know there are lot of people with high-functioning autism and Aspergers that don't take prescription medications and don't need them, and for many autistics they are better of without these medications than they are with them. Any links or direction to helpful and reliable resources, whether they are on the Internet or offline will be much appreciated. Perhaps some things, somewhere in that general information and resources will sound very familiar to me (like dejavoo) and I can use it to help explain my situation to the people who want to fund my college education, so I can get this show on the road without having to restart these medications, which quite frankly I NEVER will, because I know based on my bad personal experiences that it's still not worth it, even if these same people still say no to sending me to a University for free.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi GeekNproud, excellent choice of sudonym, you have every reason to be proud! 

I am deeply saddened by the fact that you are being 'blackmailed' into starting meds again. 

If you would like to search our topics we have some excellent articles from various sources 

in the current events section.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/27-current-events/

Dr Peter Breggin is very good for campaigning against the use of psychiatric drugs. He is on facebook 

and does reply to people if you would like to give him a try, He is a psychiatrist and may be able to advise you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-R-Breggin-MD/290410539778?fref=ts

I'm sure that others will be along who will know others you could contact too. 

I am sure that you will be able to get someone to give you the information you need for these people,

who obviously haven't a clue about the effects of drugs. 

Well done for getting off them and staying off, you are an inspiration. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Okay, thank you mammaP! To be honest with you, I really don't trust psychiatrists anymore, as 9/10 of them really care more about keeping their jobs/careers and making money than doing what's best for their patient's health, but it sounds like this one, Dr. Breggin, according to his Facebook page may just be one of those 1/10 that actually do care more about their patient's health than keeping their jobs and making money. Pyschiatrists can't prescribe medicine over the Internet anyway, can they? I guess it safe to talk to him then? I will do so when I get some time; it's getting close to my bedtime and I have to work tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow night, and I will also look into those resources on this that you linked to. In the meantime, if anyone could help save me some time by posting some direct links in this thread to helpful and reliable resources online or offline this would very much appreciated. Thank you very much everyone in advance!  :D

• Moderator Emeritus

My take on this, though, is that restarting those prescription meds is sooooo not worth it and will just cause waaaay more problems than it will ever solve, but these stubborn knuckleheads just won't listen to me! Likely the reason why they won't listen is because I am just having the hardest time explaining it to them in a way that makes sense to them. I just cannot seem to come up with the right words to say, no matter how hard I try.

A BIG congratulations on getting off your meds and staying off, that's a major achievement after having been on them from such a young age.  I can understand not wanting to go back on them.

What were you last taking and what particular drugs do these people want you to take?

I know you posted here looking for information to help you plead your case, but I'm wondering if perhaps there is another way to look at it.  If you have been functioning well for over 2 years, medication free, that should be enough evidence to elicit some trust.  I don't think anyone, especially not a 34 year old man, should have to accept that kind of controlling manipulation.

But you're in a difficult position.  Have you thought about agreeing to go back on meds, but just not take them?

As MammaP mentioned, Dr Breggin is a psychiatrist who doesn't believe in drugs, he has a lot of youtube videos.  There is a series of 3 called "Simple Truths About Psychiatry"  Here is a link to his youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeterBreggin

There is a highly recommended book by Robert Whitaker called "Anatomy of an Epidemic" which can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452425

This is just my opinion, and probably the opinion of everyone else here who is struggling to come off these nasty drugs, if you are doing fine without medication, nothing is worth going back on it.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought here, we have a list of doctors who know about and help with withdrawal. If there is one in your area

it might be worth emailing them to ask their opinion and if they would see you, then provide some form of letter to

say you are off meds and competent.  These are not your usual psychiatrists who simply prescribe them for everything

including toothache!  You should find someone to back you up.  You could always tell you that you learn and function

better WITHOUT the poisons they want to feed you with, they might see it different then if they think that actually taking

them will waste their money!  

Lists of doctors http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

You are an amazing survivor!

What is happening to you now is so discriminatory ;(

I also had a tough time going through a job interview recently. I had to say I am being treated for depression and then after a long deliberation they decided to declare me medically fit for work with a provision I mustn't seek any disability benefits within 5 years following the emplyoment.

I know I was lucky that they didn't declare me medically unfit but the whole process made me feel awful and sad.

Maybe lying that you are taking the medication as Petu suggests would be the best and most pragmatic approach seeing that awareness of equal treatment of people like is so very low or non-existant ;( I'm not sure approaching human rights activists would help much but if you want I can put you in touch with some people. 

I think psychiatric diagnoses are totally arbitrary but they serve as strong and stigmatazing labels, nothing else.

I can't tell you how much I admire you. I believe everything will turn out well but you just do whatever it takes to protect your interests.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Welcome, GeekNProud.

I agree with the others, what you need is a written professional opinion that states your functioning is satisfactory without drugs. You will need to get this letter from a psychiatrist. Please our list mentions Dr. David Allen. He might be able to help you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Okay, thank you for all the responses everyone! I do appreciate it very much! I just watched a few of the videos on Dr. Peter Breggin's Youtube channel that Petu provided the link to and they were very interesting. I also browsed his website a little and read some short articles about some of his books. Unfortunately, I do not have anymore time tonight to do anything else. It is almost my bedtime and I have to work again tomorrow, but I do have a day off of work on Thursday, so I will have much more time to look into this and all the other resources provided tomorrow night and all-day on Thursday.

P.S. Just for the record, being dishonest about taking medications is not good idea. For one thing, in case you didn't know, people with Asperger's and high-functioning autism are as a whole group some of the most honest people you will ever meet, and lying about anything is unusual for us and I am no exception to that. I don't like being dishonest. It's just immoral and unethical to not tell the truth. Second of all, it's not a good idea to not tell the truth in my individual circumstances. Don't ask me why that is because I can't tell you specifically for privacy reasons, but basically what it boils down to is that it would be way be too easy in my situation for people to find out if I wasn't telling the truth about taking these medications. If that were to happen, it would only be a short matter of time before someone would find out about it, and then gulp, I'm in BIG SERIOUS trouble! Please do not suggest this to me again, please. It's really not worth it, seriously.

• Moderator Emeritus

I apologise for suggesting something of the kind ;(

Alto's proposal is much more reasonable.

best of luck,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

P.S. Just for the record, being dishonest about taking medications is not good idea.

:)  Of course you are right, dishonesty is rarely the best course of action and I didn't mean any offense by mentioning it as an option.  I'm happy you have found some of the alternatives helpful.

Do keep in touch and let us know how things go.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you can't find a psychiatrist or psychologist who will write you a letter as Alto describes (although I think you will be able to) you might see if you can find an OT who will...

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

There is a highly recommended book by Robert Whitaker called "Anatomy of an Epidemic" which can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing/dp/0307452425

I happen to have a Kindle Fire HD and prefer to read books on my Kindle and I'm wondering whether I should choose between the book you selected above (also available for Kindle), or this one:

Medication Madness: A Psychiatrist Exposes the Dangers of Mood-Altering Medications by Peter Breggin

What do ya'll think?

Also, I'll say it again just to reinforce it: If anyone knows of or can find any resources on this topic (books, videos, articles, etc.) that are specific to people with Asperger's or high-functioning autism, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you for understanding.  :)

Well, I downloaded the free samples of both Kindle books and read the sample of the one by Robert Whitaker. The other sample from Dr. Breggin is quite generous as far as its length is concerned; it will take me awhile to finish reading that sample. Nevertheless, the book by Whitaker sounds more along the lines of what I am looking for as far as reading anything is concerned. The book by Breggin appears to be just stories of some of the most extreme cases of Medication Madness, of which when I was on medication I don't recall it ever making me prone to violence or aggression, which is what this book is about. The problems I had with the medications were not that serious, but it was other problems I had with them that I did not like about them. The worst thing that ever happened to me while I was on meds was one antidepressant I took some years ago that actually made me feel suicidal while I was taking it, but then when I stopped taking that medication years ago I stopped feeling that way, and those feelings haven't come back since then.

Dr. David Allen, I see, is a pyschiatrist that I may want to see. He is in the same state as I am, though he is still a long-distance from from me. I am pretty sure if I was to get a letter from him I'd have to see him in-person for legal reasons as well as moral and ethical reasons. He is close to Memphis and that is a 4-hour drive one-way for me, so 8 hours for a round trip. I'd have to contact him long-distance and talk to him about some stuff just to see if he is really worth making the trip, even if I only see him in-person just once, that may be all that's necessary hopefully. Hmmmmm.

• Administrator

You might ask Dr. Allen if he knows of any doctors closer to you. He knows me and SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I did just purchase today the Kindle edition of the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker and started reading it; I am already up to Chapter 4. I will continue reading it day-by-day until I finish it. In the meantime, I guess I should look more into Dr. Allen and contacting him? Hmmmmm.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope you can see him or someone he can recommend someone closer who can see you. 

You are a very strong person who deserves that education and we are all behind you 

cheering you on. 

2002  effexor. 

Dr. Allen has responded to my message and sounds like he'd like to help me with this. I haven't told him the details of the background story behind this yet (there is more information to this than meets the eye that I haven't shared here because it's just too personal), but that's what I'm about to do next. It's gonna take a bit of typing to do this, as I'd rather submit it to him in writing than talk about it over the phone or anything like that. It will take me a couple-few days to get through it as I am working most of these days. The next days I have off of work are Sunday and Friday. I should have this done long before next Friday (a week from today). Unfortunately, Dr. Allen said he doesn't know of any psychiatrists that would respect my wishes to stay away from the medications that live any closer to me. If I have to go and see Dr. Allen, I can only have time to get there and back on a day off of work since I'd have to drive for 8 hours in one day. I don't know if he'd be able to see me next Friday, but if not hopefully he will some other day when I have a day off of work in February. I don't work the same schedule every week and I work 5 out of 7 days every week, but at my workplace, the schedules are made a month in advance, but the work schedule has not been made yet for the month of February. It should be available, though, by Thursday next week.

I do think that the book you have will give you the strongest footing. If I am remembering correctly Whitaker presents very valid research and reference information in the back of the book too.

It is disheartening to hear that you have to "prove" your ability to go to school. I know of many a student that attends a college/university and absolutely wastes the opportunity. A quick peek at the stats on college drop-outs certainly shows that.

I am sorry for the situation and impressed with your determination.

Best to you. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• Moderator Emeritus

If I have to go and see Dr. Allen, I can only have time to get there and back on a day off of work since I'd have to drive for 8 hours in one day. I don't know if he'd be able to see me next Friday, but if not hopefully he will some other day when I have a day off of work in February. I don't work the same schedule every week and I work 5 out of 7 days every week, but at my workplace, the schedules are made a month in advance, but the work schedule has not been made yet for the month of February. It should be available, though, by Thursday next week.

This sounds good, hopefully you will be able to make an appointment that fits in with your work schedule, but if not, maybe you can organize to not go into work one day or have someone else cover for you because of a medical appointment, most employers are happy to change schedules for good reasons if they have some notice.

How are you finding the book so far?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Well, it's good he's interested in helping you.

Yes, get as much as possible clarified in e-mail to prepare in advance. You don't want to arrive at the appointment and find he's changed his mind.

If I have to go and see Dr. Allen, I can only have time to get there and back on a day off of work since I'd have to drive for 8 hours in one day. I don't know if he'd be able to see me next Friday, but if not hopefully he will some other day when I have a day off of work in February. I don't work the same schedule every week and I work 5 out of 7 days every week, but at my workplace, the schedules are made a month in advance, but the work schedule has not been made yet for the month of February. It should be available, though, by Thursday next week.

How are you finding the book so far?

It's quite interesting! I started it by reading the first 3 chapters in the first day. Since then, I have been managing to read just one chapter a day. I just finished chapter 6 about the long-term recovery studies in both medicated and unmedicated schizophrenia patients. Although, that chapter is not about patients with high-functioning autism and Asperger's, it is still very very interesting and helpful! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book. Assuming I continue reading only one chapter a day, I still have 10 days left to finish the book as I've already read the first 6 chapters and there are 16 chapters total in the book (416 pages in print).

Yeah, and by the way, one of the things Dr. Allen told me in a reply is that he doesn't believe in Adult ADHD and he also stated that many people with Asperger Syndrome don't even need medications. Those are very very encouraging words, if you know what I mean!  :D  :D  :D

Yeah, and by the way, one of the things Dr. Allen told me in a reply is that he doesn't believe in Adult ADHD and he also stated that many people with Asperger Syndrome don't even need medications. Those are very very encouraging words, if you know what I mean!  :D  :D  :D

It is wonderful to hear that you've been in contact with Dr. Allen. I hope that he is able to help you with your situation about school. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

It is wonderful to hear that you've been in contact with Dr. Allen. I hope that he is able to help you with your situation about school. 

Yeah, me too.  ;)

• Administrator

I have to say I'm surprised and saddened that Dr. Allen doesn't know any other psychiatrists who would certify that, as an Asperger's person, you don't need drugs. This is fairly widely known.

But...sigh...psychiatry clings to its fantasies that the drugs can treat anything. I'm glad at least you connected with Dr. Allen and he can probably help you achieve your college dream.