Razzle

Pharmacogenetics Testing

Razzle

When I was on .5mg of Klonopin a day I turned jaundiced and knew something was wrong. My doctor even accused me of doctor shopping and getting more drugs since my blood levels were 5 times higher than my dose should test.

That was back in 1990 before the Pharmacogenetics tests were available. I contacted several research centers and found that Gerogetown University Medical School was developing the fist genetic drug tests. I sent them blood specimens and found that I have a genetic variation in my CP450 drug detox system.

Later the most used test, the Amplichip verified that I was an extremely slow metabolizer and that my body might actually convert chemicals to unknown compounds. I was given pages of drug lists to not take or take with great caution and in low doses. Every single psyche drug was on that list.

I also had the test done by two other companies with the same results.

About 15 to 20% of US citizens have this genetic abnormality. If you do, a tiny amount of a drug can build in your system because you are not eliminating it. Other genetic abnormalities can cause us to improperly break some chemical bonds and leave an unknown chemical in our system. I have both.

Couple that with genetic Blood/Brain Barrier variations and you have a recipe for major problems. Anyone who has had adverse drug reactions would do well to get this test done.

R

squirrel

Wish i could but don't think is available here in UK.

Altostrata

There is a lot to say about this, will post more on it later.

First a caution: These tests are quite expensive. While they may satisfy your curiosity about why you had reactions from certain drugs or drug combinations, and perhaps give doctors a guide about what medications to prescribe for you in the future for real illnesses, having this information won't help you recover from withdrawal syndrome.

squirrel

yes i realise that but would be good to know because it is something I don;t understand why some of us have it so bad.

Razzle

If you have ever had a bad reaction to a drug Medicare and most insurance companies will pay the cost. One ER trip is more expensive for them than the test. There are other companies that do it also but I dont know the accuracy.

Any no it wont help us now -I dont plan on ever taking any other drug but in a hospital emergency I want this in the doctors hands.

btdt
Not Found

The requested URL /content/websites/roche_unitedkingdom/en_GB/page-not-found

link it bad I need this should have had it years ago it would have saved a lot of trouble and suffering not to mention money to treating me