SAM-e (S-adenosyl-L-methionine)

Punarbhava

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE While available as a dietary supplement, SAM-e is a powerful neuroactive amino acid. We have had several members who had adverse effects from SAM-e and withdrawal difficulties going off after regular use.

Romido - Sam-e gave me withdrawals...

Night Sky: How do I taper SAM-e?...

Burf going off SAM-E ...

ratherbedigging: Sam-E started it all...I think. Yrs later, to ...

chuby: Sam-E tapering to re-start a SNRI ...

Also see our topic on 5-HTP and tryptophan

If you have been taking any of these related supplements daily, to go off, you may need to taper them by a quarter of your daily dose per week.

SAM-E and other supplements that act on serotonin, including St. John's Wort, are not recommended for people with withdrawal syndrome. They tend to be stimulating in a way that most of us really do not need.

No matter what you read about "natural" supplements, or even if an alternative practitioner, naturopath, or integrative doctor recommends them, you cannot treat withdrawal syndrome as though it is "natural" depression.

In "natural" depression, your nervous system is normal and it is operating your body properly. In withdrawal syndrome, your nervous system is struggling to get back to normal operation. Don't try to speed this along with anything that may be stimulating, or you may further unbalance it.

As for SAM-E, please note some of the side effects:

On 6/15/2011 at 8:40 PM, 'Punarbhava' said:

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/sam-e/sam-e-side-effects.html

Anxiety, agitation, or panic attacks

Hostility or aggressiveness

Restlessness or inability to sit still

Parkinson's disease symptoms, such as a tremor (SAM-e could theoretically cause or worsen these symptoms)

Despite what you may have heard about SAM-E being a good treatment for "natural" depression, don't expose your fragile nervous system to this.

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Despite what you may have heard about SAM-E being a good treatment for "natural" depression, don't expose your fragile nervous system to this.

Alto.....

I'm completely on the same page regarding psychoactive herbs. Just to be clear, I was posting info on herbs as a warning, not as promoting them since, I believe, many people complicate their WD journey by consuming such.

I figured there's a certain percentage of people who are going to take these herbs but they better be warned of the risk they're taking. Hence, I posted these articles.

Notice the post on Valerian root...........I highlighted areas in "red" that I wish for members to take seriously.

Do you think there should be a section on herbs.........placing YOUR POST at the VERY TOP and then all other posts beneath?

Perhaps under a thread title: What to Avoid during WD and WHY. I guess I should have checked with you first before posting this stuff to find out how you wanted to approach this subject. Sorry about that.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• Administrator

Those are excellent suggestions, Pun.

I moved the topic into Symptoms and What Helps because we know people will be asking about SAM-E.

I'll think of a way to organize a guide to herbs and supplements, to avoid topic proliferation etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

No matter what you read about "natural" supplements, or even if an alternative practitioner, naturopath, or integrative doctor recommend them, you cannot treat withdrawal syndrome as though it is "natural" depression.

In "natural" depression, your nervous system is normal and it is operating your body properly. In withdrawal syndrome, your nervous system is struggling to get back to normal operation. Don't try to speed this along with anything that may be stimulating, or you may further unbalance it.

BOTH HANDS CLAPPING FOR THAT POSITION

• Administrator

Hard to say, bronxboy. I've never seen a report of withdrawal from SAM-e.

But in your situation, with your sensitivities -- please don't try it.

Thanks, the sad thing is that already did but I stopped it.hopefully it didn't set me back to far, I was warned by alot of nice people not to try anything but my fears and my stress lead me to that bad decision.

• Administrator

Don't blame yourself, bronx, we've all done that.

What you've got to do now is listen to your body and help it heal.

Thanks, I just notice my fear is so out of control I have lost friends over this its just terrible. Thanks for the kind words : )

Beware of the Stimulating Effects of SAM-e

People discussing their negative experiences with SAMe.

SAMe Feedback and Side Effects

http://www.depressionblog.com/archives/000027.shtml

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 5 months later...

Well what about after you are off all psychotropics and your believe you have no further withdrawal syndrome?

Personally, it is something I might try in the future when I'm completely recovered. That's IF I am still having depression and other therapies like CBT hasn't worked. Either SAMe or St. John's Wort. I did take Saint John's Wort many years ago and didn't have trouble with withdrawals. But who knows now, with my nervous system having been changed now. Yeah, it'll definitely be a last resort.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

I'd be careful about it. SAM-e is stimulating. Once you've had withdrawal symptoms, your nervous system may be permanently sensitized to all neuroactive substances. This can decrease somewhat from the extreme hypersensitivity some of us have while recovering, but it may still be there.

Sorry, that's the way it is. No easy answers.

• 1 month later...

Don't touch it!!!

I took it for about 12 weeks and it was giving me too many side effects so I quit cold turkey. I am having a horrible withdrawal, exactly like prescription ssri users. That's why I am here with this site, it's terrible - anxiety, insomnia, visual problems, cognitive problems, the whole thing except the brain zaps. It is getting better slowly, but it's horrible just like the ssri stories on here. I have been off 4 months and withdrawals still around. I took 400 mg/day, not an unusually high dose either. I reported my experience to the FDA, for what it's worth. I have never taken an ssri before this, and drs know nothing about what I am going through. Please stay away from Sam-e!!

• Administrator

That's interesting, Romido. You must be unusually sensitive to serotonin. We have other people here who had immediate bad reactions to SSRIs, took them only a short time, and have suffered prolonged withdrawal symptoms. Like you, their nervous systems have that sensitivity.

Generally, people with withdrawal syndrome find SAM-e too activating (stimulating).

Thanks for posting about your experience.

The last time I took Sam-e was about 3 mo in 2011 (at 400mg day), but I had taken it years before with good results but I think now that it was at perhaps 200/mg day. I did like it while I was on it, definitely lifted depressed feelings brought on by life circumstances. Helped me think more clearly and learn things more quickly. I do feel like it brought on a little bit of anxiety, but nothing like the withdrawal anxiety after stopping. I had horrible morning anxiety for about 6 weeks, though it seems to be gone now. My sleep was initially less when I started taking it, but slept solid once getting to sleep and that trouble getting to sleep went away in a couple weeks on. It gave me lots of palpitations and some gastro trouble, but I thought about quitting cold turkey when I had electrical zaps one morning while taking. Not brain zaps, but like in my back or gut. Then one day I felt a tiny wave of blackout, like someone had hit pause and I came back in one second.

After quitting cold turkey, the anxiety hit like a lead brick.

Now in withdrawal four months out, I still wake up at the end of every sleep cycle (1.5 to 2 hrs apart). Thankfully I am able to get enough sleep that I don't feel deprived, but I still feel the effects of missing a good night sleep.

Really the withdrawal was so bad that my Dr gave me an mri to be sure I did not have a brain tumor! Other drs gave me prozac (which I tried 8 days and stopped) and Ativan (which helped but gave me rebound anxiety so I am just trying to get through this with nothing).

My ears are still ringing and I have dizzy spells and very low tolerance to stress. I can't even take fish oil to help, that makes the insomnia worse. I have had to give up all caffeine and alcohol.

Sam-e really should be regulated like the ssri drugs, its the same thing or worse! I pray for neuroplasticity!

I second having a thread about "natural" solutions and their cautions for people in withdrawal. Years ago I tried St. John's Wort and it was helpful. Then the two times I tried it when I was going through withdrawal I think it just made things worse. Awful reaction to valerian as well. I'm sure there is personal variation with these substances, but it's good to know what to be cautious with.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Just goes to show, nothing good comes of screwing around with neurotransmitters.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Moonboe, read my intro if you are curious about Sam-e. I do not recommend. I took 400 mg a day for about three months... Have been dealing with withdrawal for more than a YEAR. Not worth it. Do not recommend!!

• 11 months later...

I have been taking Sam-E for years. I was wondering if anyone thinks it may be making my w/d worse? If so do I taper it also? I am not trying to taper now- just trying to stabilize.  Thanks in advance for your help. Blessings to all!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Administrator

See the above discussion on SAM-e. We have had several people here who've gotten withdrawal symptoms from going off it.

SAM-e requires tapering to discontinue it.

• 4 months later...

Sam-e has saved me. After 9 months of trying to eat the right foods and keep a careful diet I was still depressed and my doctor really wanted to put me back on an anti depressant. I read about Sam-e and have it a try. I've been off Effexorrx for 1 1/2 years now. Still recovering and feeling various side effects but Sam-e gets me thru the day. Don't know what I'd do without it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Check this thread out and learn how to use Google to  search this site for Sam-E.  You will be glad you did.  Sam-E is no cake walk for many.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi- I have been on SAM-E for years - have currently tapered down to 200 mg. I did fine on it, but came down from 600 mg a day to 200 due to extreme anxiety the past few months. I was sent to this link when I asked about it.http://survivinganti...l-l-methionine/ I agree with Skyler- some people can really have problems with it.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Hi Clamshell- How many mgs. a day do you take? When I first started taking it I read where if you take it with B vitamins it is more effective. Glad that it is helping you.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

SAM-e seems to have so many different reactions with people. Sometimes I read amazon.com reviews specifically those who have been on AD's and switched - It seems to be pretty potent but I think we're all looking for some form of hope in a 'natural' form that we'll try anything. I guess there's really no way to know how it's going to work for you until you try it. I wonder what percentage of people it's worked FOR as opposed to NOT worked. 

I will read the thread-apologies if this thread is redundant.

Thanks!

• Administrator

We have had several people come on here who have had difficulties discontinuing SAM-e.

Others have reported that it is too activating.

Try at your own risk.

stacedesign,

I agree with Alta about trying at your own risk.   Personally, as one who seems to get adverse reactions from so-called harmless supplements, I wouldn't touch it.   But obviously, you have to make your own decision.

Best of luck.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I have been studying (just with Dr. Google) the methylation cycle. Sam-E is an integral part. I'd recommend you really understand where it fits into all that before you make a decision. I'm ending up taking quite a bit of niacin, which takes methyl group(s?) away from Sam-E, to feel better, but that shows something is amiss as well. You can just google Sam-E and methylation.

It is possible you will come off citalopram and be fine. I was expecting many more problems coming off Wellbutrin than I've actually had so far (but I'm still on many meds).

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I have taken 5htp for over 3 years as I thought it was also a "Natural Supplement". It turned out to be a complete disaster for me.

I still hope to recover from this as I have been off 5htp for over a year now and am still experiencing some serious problems.

See my signature below for details.

• 9 months later...

I began taking Sam-e yesterday to aleviate depression caused by withdrawing from Lexapro 4 months ago. Has anyone had experience using Sam-e to aleviate depression? Please, share your experience.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I took this during early WD, and I felt like I had snorted an illegal street drug. It was terrifying.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey friends,

I have read some stuff here and there that supplements help, but I also briefly saw something saying that supplements are only a temporary placebo and as soon as you stop taking them, WD symptoms come back.  I think I saw that on "Mad in America" site.  It scared me.  Frankly, everything I've seen on that ******* site scares me.

I am not doing any supplements, but I have realized that I feel better IMMEDIATELY after I eat certain foods, like avocado, that promote my body's natural production of certain things, like glutathione.

So why am I scared?  I'm scared because I worry that I will never feel better unless I am eating very specific foods.  Like if an avocado is not in my body, I'll get more twitchy, more TD, and more akathisia.

Will my body ever learn to chew and swallow and think on its own again, or will I only be to perform in five-minute windows after I eat an avocado?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Hey friends,

I have read some stuff here and there that supplements help, but I also briefly saw something saying that supplements are only a temporary placebo and as soon as you stop taking them, WD symptoms come back. I think I saw that on "Mad in America" site. It scared me. Frankly, everything I've seen on that ******* site scares me.

I am not doing any supplements, but I have realized that I feel better IMMEDIATELY after I eat certain foods, like avocado, that promote my body's natural production of certain things, like glutathione.

So why am I scared? I'm scared because I worry that I will never feel better unless I am eating very specific foods. Like if an avocado is not in my body, I'll get more twitchy, more TD, and more akathisia.

Will my body ever learn to chew and swallow and think on its own again, or will I only be to perform in five-minute windows after I eat an avocado?

If you can tolerate supps, take them! And I have had this, where certain foods for a period of time calm symptoms, but then later, it seems they do nothing. :( you will get better.

Peace

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy