Herbal teas: Camomile, ginger, mint, etc. What helps you?

Razzle

I drank some GingerAle last evening and had the worst "cortisol awakening" in a long time. I don't know if it's related or just coincidence. I did look up ginger and it is classified as a stimulant.

I'm over 3 years out from Pristiq and Vyvanse and have to get these awakenings under control.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 year later...

I read that chamomile calms the central nervous system and it's not on the list of herbs that interfere with healing so I've been thinking of trying chamomile tea but now I come across this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

under the 5.13 Sleep aid/sedation part, it says Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquilizer and sleep-inducer. Sedative effects may be due to the flavonoid, apigenin that binds to benzodiazepine receptors in the brain. Compounds other than apigenin, present in extracts of chamomile can also bind BDZ and GABA receptors in the brain and might be responsible for some sedative effect; however many of these compounds are as yet unidentified

What?? what does this mean? benzo receptors in the brain?? I know we're not supposed to take a drug or herb that touches our GABA, but what's benzo receptors in the brain?... and it says it can bind to GABA... I got hopeful about chamomile relaxing my cns and now I feel devastated... what other herbs are there that calms and heals our cns safely?

March 2008 took Tofranil and Klonopin

CT'd Tofranil after few months

simultaneously tapered fast Klonopin, got off it October 2008

I think chamomile is generally safe and can heal the CNS.

Another herb used for thousands of years without any side-effects reported and regarded as "panacea" for many illnesses,its mountain tea.

A study from German doctors showed that it reversed Alzheimer in two months of drinking.Also,as this article says,it combars anxiety without the side effects of other herbs.

https://prezi.com/mpqdef4v3xhj/its-a-fact-that-helps-with-alzheimer-according-to-new-studi/

"In experiments conducted on mice found that strengthened the antioxidant defenses of brain regions for those who consumed six weeks decoction of mountain tea . Furthermore , it appeared that combats and anxiety. He , i.e., anxiolytic action , even without the side effects usually observed in other anxiolytics we get from plant species.   "

• Moderator Emeritus

I drink camomile tea occasionally without any negative consequences. I'm not sure if it helps with recovery, but its pleasant with a little honey and lemon added, I just ordered some more.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I just realized and remember that antidepressants downregulate serotonin and not GABA, so you guys have no problem with chamomile affecting your GABA..

sorry for this topic, I simply forgot antidepressants dont affect GABA, because I'm also dealing with benzos on my GABA. I need to post about this on benzobuddies

March 2008 took Tofranil and Klonopin

CT'd Tofranil after few months

simultaneously tapered fast Klonopin, got off it October 2008

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've been drinking Trader Joe's Wellrested Herbal Tea which has:

INGREDIENTS: Chamomile Flowers, Lemon Grass, Spearmint Leaves, Tilia Flowers, Peppermint Leaves, Passionflower Leaves, Blackberry Leaves, Orange Blossoms, Hawthorn Berries, and Rosebuds.

Just one cup in the evening, and I'm noticing I drift off to sleep easier AND last night I was able to go back to sleep and I slept almost 8 hours for the first time in a really, really long time.

I'm 10 months off all meds, so no drug interactions to worry about. 

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly drink turmeric, ginger tea for inflammation and digestion. For more detox action I grate a frozen organic lemon into the turmeric and ginger tea. If you can't find turmeric root I like Swanson brand organic turmeric tea that I order online from Swanson Vitamins. They often have good sales and the tea is cheap enough where I can use 2 bags at a time to get added benefit. I always add a pinch of black pepper to help the curcumin of the turmeric become more bioavailable and combine with a good fat source like full fat coconut milk. I also sweeten with some stevia but real honey is probably better

Zoloft nearly killed me.

Depakote at 15 for PTSD

Then Lithium for "bipolar disorder". Then Paxil, Welbutrin, Celexa, Serequel, Buspar and Risperidol

And Effexor

At 21 I'm transitioned to Zoloft only

At 26 in late 2010 desperate to no longer just exist I go off my "pediatric dose" of Zoloft which I had previously weaned towards

Shortly after spend the next few years going through WD Hell

2016 Drug free and trying to reclaim my health with the help of my kinesiologist

we're not scare mongering. this is really happening.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone .

Would teas like chamomile and anise be ok to take during withdrawal ?

Edited by KarenB
Merged similar topics

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello a99, 

It just depends on the person, really, as to whether he or she becomes sensitized to such things in withdrawal  The only way to know is to try it, but on a very dialed down basis.  You might make a cup and try one sip and see how that sits with you.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried any herbal tea with calming properties I do drink green tea not because it containes l- theanine but because I like it , a friend of mine who has come of her medication paxil after a quick taper over 3 months said she suffered with horrible symptoms but started drinking gotu kola tea and she found it very calming reduced her anxiety helped her sleep and took away a lot of her daily anguish I just wondered if anyone had any success with herbal teas as I know we can be really sensitive in withdrawals 

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 6 months later...

Is anyone aware of any interactions with ssri and spearmint?  I know this may sound simple, but taking physician prescribed peppermint oil is part of the reason my Lexapro went off the rails this time last year. 

I don’t want to cause any issue with my meds, but I am looking for a caffeine free alternative to coffee.

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Zoloft- 2010-2014 Lexa Aug 2015 Oct2017 Zoloft 50mg. Dec 17-May18

Cital 10mg May-18 to July 16 18

9.0 cital to 6.5mg,  July 30 18

7.0 mg cital liquid - until 11/23/18 /5.0 mg cital liquid - 7-13-19 4.6mg cital liquid - 7-14-19 - 8-13-19/4.2mg cital liquid - 8-14-19 - 9-13-19/4.0 mg cital liquid - 9-14-19- 11-20-19 -3.8mg-11/19-1-20. 3.7mg 6-20 3.2mg currently at 3.0mg cital liquid. 
2/20 added sodium alginate for gerd - caused updose. 

pantoprazole added 6/20. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Windsor77 said:

Is anyone aware of any interactions with ssri and spearmint?  I know this may sound simple, but taking physician prescribed peppermint oil is part of the reason my Lexapro went off the rails this time last year. 

I don’t want to cause any issue with my meds, but I am looking for a caffeine free alternative to coffee.

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

There are many existing topics on SA.  Please use either the site search or google and add survivingantidepressants.org to your search term.  Thank you.

Your post has been moved here:  herb-teas-camomile-ginger-mint-etc

Caffeine free coffee is available in both instant and coffee beans.  I sometimes use a coffee substitute.  See:  wiki/Coffee_substitute

caffeine-in-coffee-or-tea-tolerance-issues

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Oat Straw is more than an herbal tea, it is a nootropic.  It's loaded up with stuff that could cause problems.

You may do well with it, you may not.

it contains a lot of amino acids, which may be helpful, but also a high concentration of B complex, which may not. 

Some people find B complex stimulating and can ramp up symptoms.

It may be better to stick with the basics like peppermint or ginger tea.  Herb Teas: Camomile, Ginger, Mint, etc

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Altostrata changed the title to Herbal teas: Camomile, ginger, mint, etc. What helps you?

Hello friends,

I don’t touch coffee, tea or any other sort of stimulant, but I do love my Roibus tea in the morning,  or anytime of day for that matter.

https://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/health/rooibos-tea-good-for-your-liver-study-1532014

May 2018
- 75 mg Zoloft 
- 75 mg Trazadone 
- 0.75 mg Xanax 

March 2019
- 75 mg Zoloft
- 2 mg / 1 ml liquid Diazepam 

August 2019

- ended diazepam taper

75 mg Zoloft 

My intro thread: Oliver1974: sertraline / Zoloft tapering

My benzo thread: Oliver1974: Benzo withdrawal and backache

• 11 months later...

Hi, 

I want to share my experiences about herbal teas.

Now I am over 28 months off drugs and I can drink most of the herbal teas and black and white tea (do not prefer coffee, I have stomach problems). 

In the acute phase I was sensitized to all caffeinated drinks and almost all herbal teas. In the very early days when I was very agitated, extremely anxious, I used to drink 2-3 cups of chamomile tea during the day. When WD hit hard, I could not drink it during the day because of extreme drowsiness, instead I prefer to drink it at night just before sleep. Nowadays I still have some chamomile tea in my kitchen. I drink it if I have cortisol awakenings and wake up very early in the morning (makes me go to sleep again) or in days if I have some important events about my job or relationships and I have anxiety, in these times I drink it whenever needed.  

Linden has no effect on CNS. I could easily consume it in both acute and later phases of WD, still prefer it during the day if I need something hot. Totally has no effect, no reaction. 

Sage has some downer effect for me. Last year it used to make me feel drowsy. But I am ok now if it is dilute. 

Hibiscus makes me drowsy. I have not tried it for the last 7-8 months. 

Mint. I am ok. But I prefer it dilute and in the evening. 

Black/white tea. I can drink these without reaction for the last 4-6 months. Have not tried green tea. Avoid drining after 5 p.m. Also prefer dilute regarless of time. 

Rosehip. I am ok, but prefer dilute. 

Fruit teas like apple, blackberry have barely no effect. Used to drink both in acute and later phases.

I avoid mixed teas. Also generally do not want to try something new.

Overall I can suggest linden and apples teas in anyone with WD. These have no effect on CNS. If something to calm needed I suggest chamomile and mint. But chamomile is stronger than mint. 

Best wishes, 

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

• 1 year later...

Due to chamomile's action on GABA receptors, is it possible to get withdrawal when you stop taking it? I have done an Internet search, but there are only anecdotal posts from reddit members. 

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to ginger?

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

18 minutes ago, Sofa said:

Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to ginger?

Alot of people actually... 

Ad's since 2016 (I was 16 then...) (Escitalopram) 

Nov 2018 switch to venlafaxin 150mg

Nov 2019 to march 2020 tapered by 37,5mg to cero. (breakdown, minor w/d symptoms for a few days only panic attacks followed by deep depression came a month later duo to stress). 

Reinstated venla 150mg in Juli 2020.

Nov 2020 to April 2021 tapering by 15mg every month or so until I reached approximately 50 mg(no w/d symptoms) 

Since April 2021 tapered once by 5% and once by 10% of the last dose because I'm not stable enough for w/d. 

Current dose 50mg venlafaxin

No other medication. 

No supplements

Stopped smoking 29.12.2021

No alcohol 

13 minutes ago, kostakonkordia said:

Alot of people actually... 

Will this ever get better? My symptoms are so much worse and i cant even think. Like i cannot think at all and am really stressed.

Do i just have to let it take its time? This can get better right? I cant think? 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Scrountz So you dont think i have screwd up completely by taking the benzos and zopiclone and ginger? I did not know that one should avoid it. 
Just Feel so stupid. My symptoms only get worse, and never get better. I dont have any Windows.

Do you think its safe to take ibuprofen for the head pressure? I just get really scared now that anything is gonna worsen it. 

Have never felt this kind of depression my whole life. Might actually be withdrawal.

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

I think those of us who have severe withdrawals need to be more aware of how the most unlikely things can be potentially dangerous. I’ve tried many teas since withdrawal and I have had really bad reactions to all of them.. including ginger which I used to drink every day for years. I found out that most teas work on neurotransmitters in some way, even herbal teas. 

Is Rooibos tea safe?

I really like to drink tea, but try to stay away from caffeine and herbs!

But i wondered if anyone tried Rooibos tea and it was okay? It had no caffeine in it, but i dont know how it will affect my PSSD or other symptoms, and it says its a herb

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

• 1 year later...

Hi i tried organic tulsi tea from organic india(on amazon) and it helped feeling a little less stimulated (med side effect). It also smells amazing. 

https://friendsforpeers.angelfire.com/Index.html - my website and discord server

Zyprexa (not sure what mg) But got off after a month of being put on in hospital. early 2007 Respirodol (experienced ackathesia so got off in 4 - 6 months from a 6mg dose) Later 2007 tried Seroquel but got offbecause didn't like it.  Later 2007 tried Abilify but had ackathesia, got off2008 - 2015 Unmedicated but on Serequel 800mg when hospitalized   Later 2015 - Unmedicated but put on Prolixyn when hospitalized (Had very uncomfortable stiffness so got off immediately when out of hospital)2016 Unmedicated but put on Haldol when hospitalized (caused Seizures and stiffness couldn't lay down for 3 days until taken off) Later 2016Tried Zyprexa irregular dosesEarly 2017 Put on Zyprexa 15mg stayed on 15 mg until 2020 January 2020 Zyprexa 15mg didn't seem to be working so increased to Zyprexa 20mgOctober - December 2020 Reduced Zyprexa from 20 mg to 15mg to 10mg to 7.5mg to 5mg to 2.5mg. Hospitalized January 1st 2021March 2021 15mg Zyprexa April 12.5mg Zyprexa  May, June and July 10mg Zyprexa, August 7.5mg Zyprexa, September 1st toOctober 23th 2021 5mg Zyprexa.  October 23rd - December 13th 3.75mg Zyprexa December 13th - January 12th 3.1mg Zyprexa HOSPITALIZED FOR 4.5 MONTHS put on 10mg then 15mg then 20mg of Zyprexa (Givenlong acting injection of Thorazine as well).  May 23rd 2022 Reduced from 20mg to 17.5mg Zyprexa, June 9th 15mg started nighttime. April 2023 taken off Zyprexa cold turkey and put on two monthly injections of Invega Sustena.

1 hour ago, guile2 said:

Hi i tried organic tulsi tea from organic india(on amazon) and it helped feeling a little less stimulated (med side effect). It also smells amazing. 

Interesting, that is one tea I haven't tried.

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

On 5/9/2023 at 4:39 AM, SouthernFreeze said:

Interesting, that is one tea I haven't tried.

Ive been just now getting into herbal teas. All ive tried is tulsi original from organic india so far. I tried chamomile tonight before i read this thread thuroughly to find out it effects certain antipsychotic metabolism... the tulsi is nice. I drink it with organic green tea from china and it helps the awful feeling side effect i get from invega injections. The only thing is tulsi and green tea also causes me some confusion and drowsiness(i mix them). 

https://friendsforpeers.angelfire.com/Index.html - my website and discord server

Zyprexa (not sure what mg) But got off after a month of being put on in hospital. early 2007 Respirodol (experienced ackathesia so got off in 4 - 6 months from a 6mg dose) Later 2007 tried Seroquel but got offbecause didn't like it.  Later 2007 tried Abilify but had ackathesia, got off2008 - 2015 Unmedicated but on Serequel 800mg when hospitalized   Later 2015 - Unmedicated but put on Prolixyn when hospitalized (Had very uncomfortable stiffness so got off immediately when out of hospital)2016 Unmedicated but put on Haldol when hospitalized (caused Seizures and stiffness couldn't lay down for 3 days until taken off) Later 2016Tried Zyprexa irregular dosesEarly 2017 Put on Zyprexa 15mg stayed on 15 mg until 2020 January 2020 Zyprexa 15mg didn't seem to be working so increased to Zyprexa 20mgOctober - December 2020 Reduced Zyprexa from 20 mg to 15mg to 10mg to 7.5mg to 5mg to 2.5mg. Hospitalized January 1st 2021March 2021 15mg Zyprexa April 12.5mg Zyprexa  May, June and July 10mg Zyprexa, August 7.5mg Zyprexa, September 1st toOctober 23th 2021 5mg Zyprexa.  October 23rd - December 13th 3.75mg Zyprexa December 13th - January 12th 3.1mg Zyprexa HOSPITALIZED FOR 4.5 MONTHS put on 10mg then 15mg then 20mg of Zyprexa (Givenlong acting injection of Thorazine as well).  May 23rd 2022 Reduced from 20mg to 17.5mg Zyprexa, June 9th 15mg started nighttime. April 2023 taken off Zyprexa cold turkey and put on two monthly injections of Invega Sustena.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy