SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

tysons's son: on Zyprexa

tyson

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, tyson said:

My son is having very hard time tapering zyprexa.

In what way is he having difficulties?  Is he experiencing withdrawal symptoms?  Is he is, what withdrawal symptoms is he experiencing?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tyson

• Altostrata

• nz11

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for my mistake. I was trying to join friends or families around north bay area. 

But now my son got admitted in the hospital again. This time, his symptom was uncontrolled hallucination and uncontrolled guging. We are not sure what brought the reaction. 

The last time after he came out from the hospital, we put him back where he left on zyprexa 1.25mg. He stayed with that amount from Jan-8 till this time. On Feb-14-18 he started to work from 230pm to 11pm. He worked for 6 weeks. Then he stopped it. He called his mom to pick him.  Starting that last day of his job, he started to have more panic attacks and hallucination. Especially, early morning at 4am onwards. He wants to run away from the house. He talks non-stop about anything. we didn't know what to give him. 

But on March,31/8. He went to visit his brother in oakland. He came back home sunday. By monday through wed. things got worse and worse. Finally he said, he could not handle his headache and insisted to go to emergency. Now the psych doc. wants to give him Clozopine. Any idea what this medicine. I told the doc. to keep him same meds. but i don't think he will listen to me. Any advice, Idea what to say or do after he comes out from the facility. About his meds. what to do. I have to fellow up with this after i got more info from his doc. thanks

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• Administrator

Do you mean the psych doc wants to substitute clozapine for Zyprexa? As your son is in the hospital, there's not much you can do but insist that whatever they give him, make it the lowest dosage possible. You might be able to talk them into 2mg Zyprexa, which is somewhat more than he was taking last.

Is it possible your son skipped a dose or two of 1.25mg Zyprexa? This could cause big problems.

Often irregular sleep will trigger what are interpreted as psychotic symptoms. When your son was working until 11 p.m., did he stay up until odd hours? I would bring this up with the doctors. You might be able to convince them that if your son can manage his sleep, a minimal amount of the drug will do, since he was doing fairly well on lower dosages.

When he is calm, is your son capable of keeping to regular dosing and a regular sleep schedule?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your fast reply, Alto. 

like you said, im going ask him same as you said. the doc wants to replace him clozapine or seraquel. on either of them, which one easier for us to drop out ones he is out and go back to zyprexa. 

he might stay there for 5 days according to the nurse. 

i have appt. with the doc today at 245pm. can you pls. tell fast what you think. thanks again. 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

• Administrator

I don't know what a switch to clozapine or Seroquel would entail. Both can be difficult to taper.

As I said, I'd urge the doctor to stay with Zyprexa, something that's worked at a slightly higher dose.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for your help. We met the doctor and social service and told them that our son wants to stay on the same medicine but he can updose it 2.5mg. The doctor said he is okay with it but they want to give him trazodone for sleep as needed. We are happy with that. He will stay there three more days. But appreciate for your help Alto. That's was a great relief.

Hi, 

In addition, what is a good dose to have our son once he comes out from the facility. In the facility, he will be taking 2.5mg zyprexa. I'm not sure if we should stay on

the same dose or go down and how mauch. He was hospitalized when  he was 1.25mg.  The only reason he got back to the hosp. is my guess is,  he was skipping or forgeting his 

medicine.be cause he was okey from the last time , in January, 8/18,when he came out of the hosp..At that time, we put him back on 1.25mg and stayed till this time. 

Now we need direction how to proceed when he come home. Any idea,or  advice.

Hi, 

Hi.  Please see the issue with Trazodone that is set out on this site.  I'll see if I can find it for you.  It has a very dark side.  I think it should be banned.  If I were you, I would try to reduce it as quickly as the Mods think is possible.  It does seem to help with sleep (unless there is a paradoxical reaction), but for me it was not real rest or restorative sleep.  It was drugged unconsciousness, but It is what happens during the day that is the real problem.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

I am always touched by your love for your son.  I'm sorry you and he are in this position.

Peace, 

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Administrator

Good to hear your son has not been switched to another drug, Tyson. At least Zyprexa is the devil you know. I hope your son does better on 2.5mg.

Have you been able to have a good talk with him about taking the drug regularly, self-monitoring his symptoms, and managing his sleep? He needs to understand if it all goes sideways, he'll be back in the hospital.

He has a good shot of staying out of the hospital if he is careful. So much depends on his willingness and ability to take responsibility for his dosing and lifestyle.

He will have to stabilize on 2.5mg for some months, make sure his symptoms are gone before another round of very, very gradual reductions. It could be that 1.6mg is what he needs to take to stay out of the hospital, but you'll have to sneak up on it and make sure to keep him stable along the way. Any sign that he's getting wobbly means the dosage has been reduced too much.

It could also be that once he finds a sweet spot, if he stays there for a time, he might be able to reduce further -- again, he'll have to be careful about this. The goal is to minimize the drug AND keep him out of the hospital.

I'd hold off on taking trazodone until you see what 2.5mg Zyprexa does. Avoid adding drugs if possible, Rosetta rightly points out the potential for drug-drug interactions.

Good morning.

Thanks,  Alto for your important advice. My son will be out on Tuesday, 10/18. with Zyprexa  2.5mg and that is the dose he will be out with. I would have been happy if I had 2.0mg but I guess we have to stick with the higher dose unless we do a quick compounding to a lesser amount of 2.0 or 1.6mg.  Also, trazodone is a new one for him. I would like to use it as needed instead of Ativan. but I am not sure about it. need more input from you guys or anyone with better knowledge. I have seen trazodone being ordered for Depression or for a sleep aid.

Thanks Alto. My son understands and he always tries to avoid going to hospital. even for general checkup. but last time, we could not handle his anxiety and we called Ambulance. From the day he came back home on jan-8th  till the jan/24th, he was stable. These two last days, he couldn't sleep all night and his fear and paranoa was very high. Sometimes he goes out and eats fastfood and likes sodas. we tried many times that his food choises should change. but he will do it sometimes. But I wonder if there is any supplement like magnezium, fish oil and B3 . Are these suplements ok to try at this time. since I hate to give him Atavan for sleep. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

He might be okay with magnesium and fish oil, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see the effect.

Does junk food trigger his anxiety? If so, he's got to take better care of himself. Same goes double for sleep and not skipping pills. Skipping pills = hospital

The family needs to work out a way to deal with his episodes. Perhaps you could have a good talk about this now, while he's relatively calm. For example, what is he anxious about? Is he having physical symptoms that frighten him? What exactly is going on?

It would be good if you had a therapist who could work with all of you to defuse this.

I would not start tapering for a good while, several months at least. As long as you're getting this compounded, when I say "gradual" and "careful," I mean decreases of perhaps 0.10mg at a time. Don't push it or the same thing will happen.

Hello again. My son came today at 1:00 p.m. He is happy to be home. There is still anxiety and anger, loud talk to himself. I went back to our record of his last three years.

I found that we were tapering every six to eight weeks by 10%. we went all the way down to 0.5mg last year around June. But around August of last year;  he dropped taking his meds. He stayed for two and half month. Then on Thanksgiving day, he came home and he started back to his medication. Then we continued 1.25mg. but he didn't last long, On Jan,2,18.,  he was admitted to the hosp. for five days. When he came home, we went back to 1.25mg Zyprexa. Feb, 14,18 he started work at Walmart. he worked for five weeks. then after few days, he crashed and ended emergency on April 3rd. He was taken to psych. facility from the 5th to the 

10th. So, now I was thinking maybe we were going to fast on tapering. Is that common to have self-talking, anxiety, and anger while tapering? I mean Not always, but sometimes. especially in the evening. Are we ok to go back to 2.0mg and stay there for a long time till he completely stops talking to himself?

My wife is asking if we can change his medication to Abilify? I don't agree with changing meds. even if Abilify is gentler than Zyprexa. What do you guys think.? She also refused to give him Magnesium citrate half dose of hundred. She is afraid of any reaction he might get and harm himself or others by taking magnesium. So, I have to take a vacation to do that.  Anyhow, It is a struggle between parents and son. But with our online, friends, I have learned a lot. But this Zyprexa is very strong. I don't how to get out of it? 

thanks for your help. 

Hi, 

Hi, everyone.

My sons' Psychiatrist okayed him to take 2mg instead of the one he came out with of 2.5mg. Since he came out of the facility, he his psychotic behavior not stopped yet. he gets more psychotic in the evening than daytime. My question to anyone here is, should we keep him on 2.5mg or go down to 2mg. when he was admitted, he was at 1.25mg. I don't understand why he is getting so psychotic now. My wife is refusing to give him magnesium 50mg. she thinks that had increased his problems which I don't see it. we stopped trazodone the day he came out of the facility.

Thanks again. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there, 

im so sorry your child is going through such a hard time. I’m coming off an antipsychotic as well and I have to taper soooo slow. I still get withdrawals but I’ve managed to get down from 300mg of seroquel to 7.5mg over many, many years. I’ve been doing water titration for quite some time now too. It’s still going to take many, many years to get off these meds. I have found that tapering by around 4% to 5% and then making long holds is the only way to go. I’m going to start doing microtapering on a daily basis soon of just the minutest drops and have hold in between. I’ll see how I go. I’ll be recording it on my thread. I won’t be tapering for a while now though as I’m still getting over my last taper and I want a bit of a break as I have a few things coming up that I want to be able to get to. 

One of the worst withdrawal symptoms if I go too quick, is akathisia. It’s an internal akathisia, like I’m crawling out of my skin, like I’m going to explode, it’s pure torture, you can’t settle.  I’ve had lots of chronic pain in the past but it is nothing in comparison with akathisia. Please always go really slow with tapering, even by 2.5% if you have to. I think a lot of people get akathisia from meds but find it hard to explain, especially if it’s not the external kind where you are pacing up and down. 

Take care

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thank you, Carmie.

We were reducing his medication by 10% every six to eight weeks. I think we were fast and large dose reduction. Like you said, Now we will stick on 2mg for a long long time. Then we want to go 5% taper and stop at 1.6mg for a long time. From there, will see how we do. Hope God help us and give our son patients and stamina to stay out of the hospital. I'm learning every time new things and more advice and comments. I love when people tell me my mistakes and lead me the right road. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like an excellent plan Tyson. Keep up the good work!!

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

My son woke this morning and wanted to go back to school. But we knew he is way behind the schedule the instructor would not accept him. So, we told him to tell the teacher that he was sick and couldn't continue. Now he is in search of anyone who he would talk to. He doesn't like to stay at home. But his problem is, he talks to himself nonstop now. is this a sign of less medication or medication fluctuation from last week to today. Does anyone have an idea for him how to get a friend or group where he can join? Is that ok to wait for a week and see how it goes?  Since January, he's been hosp. twice and fed him a high dose of Zyprexa and melatonin and trazodone. but each time he came home, we put him where we left. I'm giving him some mag. citrate if that can help. His psychosis is a big problem. any suggestions? 

Hi, 

Hi, everyone. my son took trazodone for five days in a facility with Zyprexa. Now, since he is at home, is that advisable to drop it. if not what is the right way to get rid of it? also, he was not himself yesterday. all nightmares, hallucinations came back. so we raise it up to 2.5mg. is that ok in your opinion?

Hi, 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. May,3. Last week, my son did get admitted to hospital for severe insomnia and akasia. They're now changing his med. From zyprexa to Geodon 40mg twice a day. I've no knowledge about this medication. Is this better than zyprexa. Is the amount high? What should we do next when he is home? Six years of zyprexa didn't do anything. Is Geodon easier than others? Pls. Help. Thanks. 

Hi, 

Please try to stop them from changing his medicine if you can.  I hope a mod will be by to help later.  -Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

They won't listen. So, Does he has to continue to be on the new med. ? 

Hi, 

I'm sorry that they won't listen.  Please post how long he has been on the new drug when he is released, and maybe Alto will have advice for you.  How much Zyprexa do you have left?  Do you think you can get more?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

He is in the hospital now. It's been three days today but he will stay two more days. We have zyprexa at home. He was taking Teva brand for long time, but now he's been changed to Makloid brand. Check spelling for Makloid. Would that have any effect on withdrawal. He took the new brand for three weeks and then got sick.

Hi, 

Some people notice a change of the brand of their drug causes problems.  As you probably know the FDA has no teeth.  Whether both brands had the same ingredients is anyone's guess.  Is it possible for you to get the original brand?

Is the doctor going to prescribe Zyprexa again?  Does he have a different doctor in the hospital than when he is at home?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

At the facility, he have different doctor. But even his regular psychiatrist was recommending to take Geodon. So, should we ask to go back to zyprexa when he is discharged or continue with the new medicine? 

Hi, 

Also, the original drug brand is been discontinued by the company.

Hi, 

Would any administrator have any advice to us. My son will be out tomorrow but should he stay with the new medicine or go back to the old. The rehab place updose him to 40mg twice a day. We don't know what to do. Pls. Advice 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello,

I am not a mod with a ton of experience with these meds here on SA, but we use the same tapering info for all drugs, and I do have some experience with patients on many classes of prescription drugs.  So, lets get you some info on Geodon.  My favorite site is drugs.com.  It covers legal prescription and nonprescription drugs, and you can do "Interactions checker", where you check for interactions between the drugs he is on.  It is just below the search bar, then you can highlight, copy and paste the results here on SA.  I am a third shift person, so I sleep during the day, so I will alert others to your situation as well.  You can try the interaction checker yourself, and copy and paste the results below in your post.  Here is the Geodon result: https://www.drugs.com/geodon.html

Now, he has not been totally stable for a long time, from reading your thread.  If there are no major interactions, you may want to let him stabilize on what he is on for a little while, and see what the side effects are.   If he has been on Trazodone  in the hospital, maybe instead of taking it away, perhaps try to lower the dose, rather than take it away right away- it will ruin his sleep, and that may not be the first thing you wish to do, as you might end up right where you were, possibly. One option is to get him on the lowest dose you can get him on and by doing that, you can reducing the harm these drugs do as much as possible, to get him on the lowest dose possible where he can still function.   One very critical thing for you to know in tapering is that the closer to zero you get, the slower you have to go.so by 5mg, you may have to slow to a crawl, as long as his hallucinations are not overwhelming him, and you do not see anything that leads you believe he is going to crash again is how to tell. 

The 2 most common diagnoses for Geodon is Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder.  If one is his main dx, then perhaps this is okay to consider.  I will let the other mods deal with talking about doses and when.  Please do not take the sleep med away right away (I notice the first thing that happens when he gets home after they stabilize him is that you take all of it away, and he starts to hallucinate, and it gets worse from there.  Maybe think of his life as a 3 legged table; meds for right now (to keep him out of the hospital), eating well (as fast food does not do good things to him, his choice, if he is going to eat what he wants, higher meds may have to be his reality for now- note I did not say current dose, but a higher dose than he might be able to handle otherwise), and the 3rd leg is that he MUST get sleep.  Any one of these legs gets wobbly, and he could (and does seem to) end up back where he started, and every med change (even changing back to an old drug can be destabilizing)  it was different last time, when they did not actually take him off of it.  I think he probably should have stayed on 2.5 mg instead of stepping back to 2mg so fast.  Maybe he should have decreased more slowly, as he ran into trouble again soon after, see what I mean?  Add no sleep to the equation, it is bad.  There are times that one must hold for months sometimes,  if issues pop up,  instead of for just weeks, and his behavior can be a great indicator of that, or when to updose.  Now, as he has not been on Geodon long, another mod may suggest something with that if the dose seems too high for him, as the shorter you have been on a new drug, the easier it is to make a larger initial taper (then HOLD, HOLD, HOLD), but I do not want to touch that myself.

Something to remember- this is a marathon, not a sprint.  So 10% (OR LESS) reduction of the previous dose every 4 (OR MORE) weeks. You do not need to drop every 4 weeks, because the calendar says so.  How is he feeling?  How did he do right after the drop?  Maybe 10% is too much? 4 weeks, still complaining of new issues?  How about 6 or 8 weeks.  The road to low doses is fraught with issues, and you want to avoid withdrawal side effects as much as possible by going slow, no matter how long it takes. His stability is number one.

As for changing drugs right after they put him on a new one, I do not suggest changing him to Zyprexa again.  He seemed never truly stable on it, unless the notes do not tell the whole story.  Let us see what other mods have to say.  They may know Geodon more than I do.  I understand what I read about it this far, but did not get far yet, not enough time), and I read the professional version vs the consumer version,  but have not had time to read the whole thing yet. What, if I may ask, are his issues and his "official" (or first) diagnosis, if you care to share.  I ask for a good reason, Geodon, is for Schizophrenia or BD, if he does not have either of those, I would be asking the doctor(s) why they are prescribing it!  So perhaps answer that, are one of those his main diagnosis?

Now, what about therapy for him with a therapist, maybe a PhD, not a psychiatrist.  I would hope you hook him up with someone who cannot pull out a prescription pad and start writing, I want him to be HEARD, and with someone he can trust.  You may want to go in with him if he is nervous for the first couple of times, and so you can pinpoint where his problems area lay, like if fast food is an issue, maybe they need to talk about fast food, but better choices, so he does not end up in the hospital, for example.  Please consider it.  He  maybe needs someone , IMHO who has training in dealing with someone who has the same symptoms that he does, so they can give him ways of coping with scary things like hallucinations. How to handle the thoughts that keep racing that keep him talking all of the time. In my experience, the psychiatrists seem so faster to pick up a prescription pad instead of talking to the patient and helping them deal with the issues they deal with  Now some people do stay on a very low dose of AD's, because they just cannot get along without being on a certain dose, the lowest that still works, and keeps severe symptoms away. Same with AP drugs. This is just my opinion, though.

Okay, since this turned into a book, lets go back to the basic questions, what drugs is he currently on, and what are the doses, and his diagnosis, if you care to share what his main one is.  I explained why above.  It is okay if you do not agree with me, I am just trying to help, so if you do not agree, please say what, that is just fine! Only trying to assist. I worked in the ER, and saw the revolving door that some of these patients had to go through, and it is heart breaking.  I am only thinking of what might be best for Tyson, and how to keep him as stable as possible so that his life is good and yours is too.  You have done an amazing job, really you have!!   Again I am notifying other mods in case I am not here to get the 3 drugs (I think I heard 3, I am very tired currently, am usually asleep by now). I am happy to do the interaction checker and post the results.  I also want to research Geodon a bit more, which will take time as I need to sleep, and then share the results, if I find anything more than drugs.com has. 

I hope this post has helped in some way.  I am not very good at saying what I need in just a few words.

Skeeter.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

I'm very appreciative for all this information and for your time. 

first i will answer your questions before i forget. As diagnosis goes, he's diagnosed as unspecified schezoeffect. 2nd. he's in the facility and they're giving him 40mg twice daily. That will be his second day with that dose. that's Geodon. For the last six years, he has been on zyprexa. 3rd. some times he gets trazedon 50mg for sleep. 

So, my problem now is when he is out, what dose is good to keep him on? I would like to the lowest dose, as you said , since he's just new to it and few days on it. also, he doesn't like trazodon, is there any other good sleeping aid you could recommend? 

thanks a lot for caring. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

Tyson, I'm confused about what's going on. Was your son in a psychiatric ward or in a rehab facility? If rehab, why?

If your son is not a minor, he has the right to refuse drugs. If he is a minor or legally incapable and you and your wife are his legal guardians, you can refuse drugs on his behalf.

It seems when he is not adequately subdued by drugs, he acts violently or in other ways that get the attention of law enforcement. Does he have any insight into his behavior? Can he talk about it lucidly? As Skeeter suggested, psychotherapeutic counseling might help him learn how to manage his behavior and stay out of the system. Counseling may take some time, but it can help him minimize drugs.

Can he be relied upon to keep regular hours and get enough sleep? Does he drink? He needs to manage these behaviors to stay out of behavior that might be interpreted as psychotic. Other people with schizoaffective disorder have done this, it's not impossible, but it takes a lot of willpower.

In the meantime, if he's not responsible for his behavior and behaves in a way that frightens your family or gets the attention of law enforcement, he may have to be on some minimal amount of a drug. All of the antipsychotics -- Seroquel, Geodon, Risperdal, Zyprexa -- have roughly the same risks. They are all awful drugs.

I am concerned that your son was relatively stable on a minimal amount (of Zyprexa?) but then quit it on his own, which started his recent spiral. Does he understand the risks of tapering and the necessity to take the drug regularly?

Correct me if this is not your situation: Your son engages in behavior that frightens you but you don't want to give him up to "the system" and he cannot be relied upon to take a tablet. I very much hate to suggest this, but your best bet is to find a psychiatrist who will respect you and your son's legal rights and work with you on finding a minimum effective dose of a long-acting INJECTABLE drug. (Injectable Geodon is not long-acting.)

See this about injectables:

Psychiatrists widely agree that once the acute phase is over, dosage can be reduced. Of course, we recommend this be a very, very gradual reduction, possibly more gradual than a psychiatrist thinks necessary. At some point, your son may be able to take tablets again.

It's possible your son's own minimum effective dose is lower than the dosages suggested in these papers. A smart psychiatrist will figure out how to customize the dosage in the injection (probably draw up less of the solution in the syringe).

Regarding tablets

Your psychiatrist will have to read and understand both papers.

• Administrator

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/geodon-injection.html

Geodon Injection Dosage

Intramuscular Dosing

The recommended dose is 10 mg to 20 mg administered as required up to a maximum dose of 40 mg per day. Doses of 10 mg may be administered every two hours; doses of 20 mg may be administered every four hours up to a maximum of 40 mg/day. Intramuscular administration of ziprasidone for more than three consecutive days has not been studied.

If long-term therapy is indicated, oral ziprasidone hydrochloride capsules should replace the intramuscular administration as soon as possible.

Since there is no experience regarding the safety of administering ziprasidone intramuscular to schizophrenic patients already taking oral ziprasidone, the practice of co-administration is not recommended.

Intramuscular Preparation for Administration

GEODON for Injection (ziprasidone mesylate) should only be administered by intramuscular injection and should not be administered intravenously. Single-dose vials require reconstitution prior to administration.

Add 1.2 mL of Sterile Water for Injection to the vial and shake vigorously until all the drug is dissolved. Each mL of reconstituted solution contains 20 mg ziprasidone. To administer a 10 mg dose, draw up 0.5 mL of the reconstituted solution. To administer a 20 mg dose, draw up 1.0 mL of the reconstituted solution. Any unused portion should be discarded. ....

According to these instructions, the clinician could administer a 5mg Geodon injection by taking up 0.25mg of the solution, and so forth for other customized dosages.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello,

First, I wanted to say that some psych drugs in many classes tend to "poop out" after several years, for many 5-7 years. He was hospitalized so many times while on Zyprexa, I lost count.  I know it sounds better to say or hear 2.5mg of Zyprexa vs 80mg of Geodon, seems maybe that he seems sicker to you in a way, maybe, if you think about it, perhaps?  The thing is, he was not functioning on Zyprexa.  He would not have been able to come off of it, probably, no matter how hard you tried. it was just not good for him, it was not keeping him working, not keeping him out of the hospital.  His wellbeing is the most important thing.  You will have to ask his doctor for something for sleep, perhaps.  We do talk about melatonin on the site here, has he tried that at home?  I am going to agree with the 2 doctor's in this case, not something that happens often.

Now you stated earlier in the thread that he wants nothing to do with getting better himself, just not interested in handling a taper, or talking to us about diet, etc, did I undersand that correctly?  Is he able to take hiss medications as prescribed every day at the right times (if taking the dose on the bottle, I mean?  This means that you are 100% in charge of doing his taper for him, then.  Does he even ask, or just take what you had him, or does he have a part in helping?  Will he consider a smaller dose of Trazodone, so that he does not stop sleeping the day he leaes the hospital, in reading this thread, it does seem to be the first problem that only gets worse.

If he is hope, how is he doing thus far?

Tyson is over 21.  He is legally an adult, yes?. Have you gone through the process (or had to go through it) wherein a judge has involuntarily taken his rights away from him for medical decisions relating to his mental and/or physical health, and given them to you or a third party? This means you would be consulted BEFORE he would on any medical decision regarding his mental health.  Have either of these happened?  It would pretty much give him the say that a minor has regarding their own health, not much.

I hope he handles the transition home well..

Skeeter

Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Tyson - 

I'm in kind of a difficult position here.

You've been tapering your son - and he keeps landing in hospital.

We don't really have your tapering schedule (can you please update signature to include all drug changes in the past year and the dates of those changes?  This includes tapers), and we don't have information on symptoms.  It really would be best if we could hear from him regarding symptoms, and what it is like being him, experiencing what he's experiencing.  Really, he will get better when he can take responsibility for his own health and state of being.  

We don't even really know why he keeps landing in hospital.  What symptoms is he having?  All of the questions that Alto asked are incredibly relevant here.  I would feel very uncomfortable suggesting anything until we have more information regarding symptoms, behaviours, and a more precise drug history.

Why are you wanting to change the drugs around after the doctor prescribes them?  

It might be a good idea for him to stay on the same drugs, same doses, as prescribed in hospital for at least 3 months before adjusting them.  Coming out of hospital into the community is a critical time for people experiencing extreme states.

I do know that Will Hall counsels via Skype, and I think he might be a good resource for your son.  I also recommend that your son get counselling separate from you, so that he can talk freely about what is bothering him.

Edited by JanCarol

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Here's how to contact Will Hall http://willhall.net/counseling/

• Moderator Emeritus

I do need to clarify some information I provided above. As I stated in my super long post, I had not read the entire Geodon page, so I have additional info.  Geodon 40mg BID (twice a day) = 80 mg per day. The HIGHEST dosage per the info give is 80mg BID = 160mg/day (not to exceed 100mg BID), so, as you can se, as I have gotten more information, it has ben helpful.  I do not think at this time that any dose adjustment would be wise. The usual dosage is 40mg-80mg/day, (so 20mg-40mg BID) and your sons doc and the doc in the hospital believe that they are dosing him in a responsible manner,  and after reading the information provided on Geoden, I would have to agree that they put thought into their decision. I hope you will wait to see how he reacts to the Geodon over the next few months (les if he has an adverse reaction/severe side effects, that you will help him stay on his new on his current dose and see how he feels after being on it for a while. I am hoping he will get a chance to thrive, as he does not seem to do well on low doses of Zyprexa, He has had a rocky year thus far, and I am sure you, as parents, want stability, too. I understand Mom is stressed from spending all of her time with him, so maybe see how he does. Maybe he will be able to go back to school next term, or go back to work, something he cannot do if he is actively hallucinating or filled with anxiety. I do wish you luck in this. Stability is the first step. So same dose every day as prescribed, and hopefully this will improve things for your son and your family.

Edited by Skeeter
Completed last sentance

Hi, every one. 

thanks for your input and advice. As Alto said, my son is very difficult to manage. As the withdrawal histroy shows, he got to the lowest dose of 0.625mg of zyprexa, but he discontinued it last year from mid september 

to thanks giving day. He took his meds for few weeks, and then jan/ 3/18 he was admitted to emergency and then to psych. facility.  there they gave him 5mg at night and 5mg day. and stayed there for five days and discharged. 

when he came back home, we put him back to 1.25mg where he left. he was okey  from jan, 8 till march 3. He complatined big insomnia and stomach pain and went to emergency again. Again he was put psych. facility for five days. 

There he did not have much change. They gave him 2.5mg zyprexa and 50mg trazodon as needed. So, when he came out of that, we kept him on the same dose from march 6/18. on. But this time, 

His medication brand was changed to a new brand . he took his meds regularly at night and same time and same syptoms came back again. After two months, he got admitted again in may, 3/18. 

Every time he ends in the hospital emergency, they give him Atevan , halodol, and bendryl. combo to sedate him. So, now they decided to change him to Geodon and we don't know how much he will end up. 

At the same time, he gets trezedon or atavan as needed at night. 

Also, Alto my son is not responsible. His mom takes care too much. he also, refused to go to therapy or counseling. we offered him yoga or acupuncture, he refused. so, we thought maybe the medication

is affecting his brain. The only thing he wants is to throw the medicine and start work and school. As you suggested, injectable would be good but which ones are better we don't know. His psychiatrist don't nothing 

about it. 

So, I'm not sure if he is missing his medicine or not taking it. but he swears he's taking it. Another thing would it be the reduction that we did after his hosp?. or would it be the change of the zyprexa brand? 

But the first two admision, he stop taking his meds. but the third one maybe the same or other thing. 

Hi,