Maybe

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness etc.

Toulouse

Ok, so something of a coincidence, or not maybe.   My initial hives outbreak (which was SEVERE) occured when I went down from 10mg Paxil to 5- THEN back up to 10mg. That's when the hives started and escalated.  Since then, for the last 6 or so weeks, i've had mild rashes, occasional (mild) hives and have been treating with Claritin or Benadryl.

Sunday - I skipped my dosage.  No hives. However I was feeling other w/d effects - dizzy, very irritable/angry.   Monday, I went back to my dosage of 2.5mg.  BOOM - hives were sprouting out all day.   Tuesday (today),  took my normal dosage like I did Monday. Back to the usual, modest itch, or slight pre-rash on my skin. Took claritin to keep it at bay.  So I'm thinking, going up and down on the mg dosage is what's messed me up and given me these allergic reactions  Tomorrow I will cut my 2.5 to just 1.25mg and see what happens.  I'm almost of Paxil thank god. and trying to be patient.  But since my first hives reaction, I have gone down from 10mg to where I am now (2.5) and one thing that is for certain is that the hives/rashes, though ongoing, seem to be weaker and in less places than 8 weeks ago at 10mg. 

InvisibleUnless

changing doses can have different side effects than going cold turkey.  any dose is an interference, and your body reacts to compensate, whereas complete withholding of a dose leaves your brain in a different chemical situation, and a compensatory overreaction may not be incited (or may be delayed).  i couldnt say if that is specifically the nature of your own case, but its a thought.

Purplestars22

I have experienced dried skin even though I put on cocunut oil. My skin resembles the skin of what a person would have in their late adulthood? I have also experienced premature aging wrinkles in my face and dark spots on the sides of my face. I am in my late twenties and I am not in the sun much. Has my body aged because of wd? Has anybody experienced premature wrinkles? If so how do you deal with it.

InvisibleUnless

during withdrawal, my skin has looked like ****.  it often gets very dried out, papery, and worn.  it can crack and bleed all over my extremities, or feel like the elasticity has totally collapsed.  there are various problems, no doubt.  plus, acne, blemishes, and other skin problems have cropped up in full.  wrinkles, stretch marks, you name it.

i have found that my skin returns more to normal when the cycling is at a low point.  i think that being through withdrawal entirely will mean healthy skin once again.  for now, i look like someone who did coke for 30 years of their life and have terrys nails (like diabetics) and avoid soap and handwashing as much as possible so my fingers dont dry out and bleed every day.

i despise skincare products, but dont figure they would help some people much anyway---this is more fundamental and dysfunctional than simple dryness or sunlight or wear.  so, i just avoid things that make it worse as much as possible, and try to treat it gently when it suffers abnormal levels of damage.  being properly hydrated and gaining enough fats and water from foods in addition to drinks is important for me.

Wildflower0214

Yes! I look old. I have aging skin on my hands and arms and face. I'm dry. I look older than I am. I'm 31. I'm not sure if this is the aging because of the stress of WD or if it's just something to do with my endocrine system that will even out.

Honestly, if I could be healthy again, I wouldn't even care if this did age me. Which, I'm sure it has. I just want to be well....with or without wrinkles is fine with me.

Xavier

I used to have very healthy and wet skin, it became dry, old and lizarish overnight after the beginning of drugs. Did anyone suffered from the same issue and eventually recovered after beeing weaned ?

UnfoldingSky

Hi Xavier,

I developed dry skin thanks to the drugs I took, it happened quite quickly too.  Like you I had an adverse reaction to a drug, and then I was given drugs to "treat" the reaction including some you were on.

I don't know if you are up for doing this, but, what has helped me is to put honey on my skin before showering.  Leave it on for five minutes or more then just wash it off as you shower.  It's mildly moisturizing.   (Of course if you are allergic to bee products, don't do this!)

My skin is also very sensitive so I've had to really search to find something that worked.  However if your skin isn't as sensitive you might try different oils to see if one would work.

I sometimes use tamanu oil which generally is for scars and other skin problems but is fairly heavy, it maybe would be beneficial. I can tolerate it. However it seems the honey is more effective. 

I also read recently about avocado oil which is supposed to help dry skin.  I haven't tried it yet though.

Also a gentle exfoliator to remove the dry skin would be something to look into too.  I just use an exfoliating cloth made of natural materials.

And I'd guess since you had such a severe reaction you probably are sensitive to supplements, but, if you can tolerate consuming fish oil, or if not, oily fish, the omega 3s I believe are supposed to be good for your skin. 

I am sure others here will have other suggestions too.

UnfoldingSky

One more suggestion for dry skin--try putting on some sort of oil that can be used for dry skin right before you have a shower/bath so as to keep it from getting dried out even more.

I can't usually handle most of oils but tried doing this with olive oil in which I had soaked a herb (I won't say which one as this is an experiment I am running), and, so far so good, it's made my skin feel a lot better and, it doesn't seem to be reacting badly to doing this either.

reachingforthestars

This is interesting. About two years after quitting cold turkey my skin became extremely sensitive. I developed horrible type 2 rosacea and had to go on Accutane to cure it. There is no history of rosacea in my family, while I am fair I tan easily and my skin had always been oily, tough as nails and the envy of people. So I didn't fit the profile of someone with rosecea. Finally, now 10 years later my skin it back to its original state. I have ZERO rosacea which is odd because there is no cure for rosacea and it is a chronic disease.

I have developed rosacea too...I have burning sensations in my face and rosacea keeps getting worse. I didn't have much of rosacea before i started to taper but now it is very visible and i have to use make up to cover it.

Toulouse

Since this thread is bumped, I'd like to chime in with my progress. I was diagnosed by allergist as having chronic hives back in November.  I believe that my WD from Paxil is what created whatever imbalance was happening in my body to result in this diagnosis.  In December I went to a holistic doctor who put me on a strict gluten, soy and dairy free diet. My chronic hives diminished greatly within the next month and now I am hive free.  I still get a little, what i consider, flushing in spots, but it goes away within the hour without any need for antihistamines.  I had lab work done that showed I was vitamin D and B folate acid deficient, for what its worth.  All other labs came out normal.

My skin is still sensitive to pressure, or scrapes. But also slowly has gotten better.  I am 6 months off of Paxil.

Junglechicken

This is interesting, I developed acne on my shoulders (which I've never had in my life) for what I thought was because of my marathon training.

Now I think it was because of the Cipralex as I started taking it in Feb 2014 and did my first marathon in June 2014.  I stopped running altogether in July 2015 because of muscle and joint pain.

The acne improved dramatically when we were in Mexico due to the humidity, but it hasn't really gone away and I am left with scarring which is white due to the steroid cream I was prescribed.

reachingforthestars

This is interesting, I developed acne on my shoulders (which I've never had in my life) for what I thought was because of my marathon training.

Now I think it was because of the Cipralex as I started taking it in Feb 2014 and did my first marathon in June 2014.  I stopped running altogether in July 2015 because of muscle and joint pain.

The acne improved dramatically when we were in Mexico due to the humidity, but it hasn't really gone away and I am left with scarring which is white due to the steroid cream I was prescribed.

Do you still take that 2.5mg Cipralex? I think these drugs can mess up hormonal levels and hormonal acne is due to too much testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. I have pimples too on my back, shoulders and chin. 

Junglechicken

Hi Reaching, yes I still take the 2.5mg with a view to reducing by 0.25 starting 25th March.

DisneyFan88

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things!

DisneyFan88

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things!

Toulouse

Been there and done it. Mine have gone away. See my response to you in my introductions thread for details on how and when mine cleared up.

CaptainJackSparrow

Hya all, for me up until now only a minor problem, but still unnerving sometimes: Skin issues. For example a feeling of burning, tingling, needles and pins and even oil mostly on my legs and lower arms. Additionally I have a very rough and dry skin in my face, despite using creme every day. Does anyone have a clue what this is and what might help to lessen or even resolve those symptoms? Edit: The symptoms have been the worst last week since stopping the pills. They are still endurable though. I hope that I do not have to worry and that this is normal in wd?

This has been my number one issue with withdrawal- the insane itching, crawling feelings on my skin, thanks for posting this up.

The one thing that helps me the most when it gets too intense is taking an oatmeal bath. 

I also take the actual aloe plant, peel it open and put the juices all over my body. 

ang

My skin is horrifically dry, and scabby, especially my face.           I take zinc, every day, which helps, and I can now go out in public again.

moonstoneblue

Glad I've found this thread, I've just had my second monthly since starting withdrawal and I have so many blemishes on my face, especially my forehead. My skin wasn't even this bad during puberty.

moonstoneblue

Okay so along with the spots on my face and chest, I now have hives all over my torso. I've not changed my shower gel (I use parben free, sulphate free, organic shower gel). And I have very dry legs. My skin has never had these problems :/

I know it will all go eventually.

Junglechicken

My face is now covered in eczema - eyes, mouth, chin and neck.

It's sore, flaky and very dry.

Hydrocortisone cream ain't working.

Next try will be DERMOL.

AnaTheCat

I have some skin and hair issues, apparently, I wasn't linking them to my meds until now. I was reading comments in here: http://rxisk.org/complex-withdrawal/and I think now that my skin also seems affected.

First, I'm 27 and still having problems with blackheads. I used to have them in "T zone" (forehead, nose, chin) - now they're all over my face, neck, on the back, arms and cleavage, it became like this about two years ago. My skin is quite oily, yet at the same time it looks kinda artificial up close, kinda like a silicone. I found enzyme peeling, fish colagen and raspberry stone oil helpful.

As for hair - I've learned that hair won't react to dying if an owner takes psychotic meds. I can't tell that myself, I wasn't dying my hair for years now, it is said, however, that hairdressers noticed that some time ago. I can tell my hair still react to herbs - I'm using camomile brew to accent my natural blonde. Coconut oil also makes the color lighter. Another thing - I'm treating my hair with great care and careful conditioning, but they're just so arid... I had to cut them short after a year of trying to get them better.

I am of course aware that this is cosmetic, not quite serious problem, but still it's irritating... My lion's mane was always my looks asset, I could share with three other people and still have plenty on my head. Now I have a hedgehog style hair :]

Junglechicken

I also have hives/acne around my torso. My skin is absolutely wrecked.

Having never had spots in my life, I am now dealing with multiple skin issues. I still have eczema but on my arms.

I have had a bright red chin for years now, and despite using a powerful steroid gel, it isn't disappearing fast enough.

They can only be attributed to changes in hormonal levels because of ADs.

Faithgrl

OMG me too. My doc introduced me to bleach baths which helped ALOT. I tried tumeric and fish oil and they were both SUPER BAD for my skin and sleep, respectively. I am two weeks off now so lets see how this goes.

Barrebelle7

Is acne a side effect of high doses of Prozac? :(

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

ChessieCat

I've just done a quick google search on "antidepressant + acne" and other people have been asking the same question so it would seem that the answer might be yes.

If you are planning on tapering off your Prozac, please create an Intro/Update topic.  We will be able to answer your questions about your own situation as well as support you during your taper.

Barrebelle7

I've been searching but can't seem to find out if it's stress induced acne so coincidence or if Prozac actually causessss the acne

Junglechicken

The acne I had has finally gone, leaving me with just eczema to keep under control.

JanCarol

Just a warning, doctors may be excited about some new psoriasis drugs that have achieved "approval"

Dr. Healy curates (and possibly writes) on Rxisk:

Recently approved for use downunder (avoid if at all possible) new drugs for psoriasis (if you see a doctor, s/he might be very excited about these):

https://rxisk.org/are-you-aware-siliq-can-cause-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/otezla-birth-defects-and-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/youll-come-a-taltzing-matilda-with-me

Dr. Healy says:

Brodalumab, aka Siliq, Apremilast, aka Otezla, and Daliresp. Prepare to hear a lot more about Phosphodiesterase antagonists and drugs acting on Interleukin 17 or 23.