Nikki

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Nikki

Higuys...

I have been taking meditation classes. I do well with Guided Meditations because my mind is like the revolving door in Macy's on 34th Street in Manhattan :P

My Mindful Meditation Class is facilitated by a friend of mine who is a retired Neurologist and he guides the meditation...i't very different from TM.

I copied this link from Youtube where there are meditations. This on is about Breathing for the Fight or Flight response.....surprise :lol:

I just did it...will find more.

Shanti

I really like this meditation, Nikki. Deep breathing helps much more than many people would think.

fefesmom

Just did the meditation. It is wonderful. I, too, have a mind that won't stop and when I "just" sit, my mind goes ballistic and I have stopped doing that kind of meditation. I find that guided meditations are very helpful now. Maybe someday I'll go back to "just" sitting. But not now. So thank you for posting this.

I would like to know: is there some way to download youtube stuff to an ipod??

Also, want to update my opinion of DBT which does use mindfulness as its base, at least that's what I'm getting from it.

I do find when I do the exercises of DBT, particularly Wise Mind, I can calm down and get into the present and stop the wild ride into the future.

So now I don't think it is all gimmicks, distractions; I think it gives me peace and hope.

That's today, anyhow.

Thanks again for being there.

FM

fefesmom

DBT is a form of therapy. It stands for dialectical behavior therapy. It is kinder, I think, than cognitive behavior therapy in that it is based on mindfulness and radical acceptance and using your wise mind as a mediator between your emotion mind and rational mind. It gives you many "skills" you can use when you are in a difficult situation or having troublesome thoughts. At first it seemed kind of gimmicky to me but as I use the skills, I find they do help. This is the barest outline. If you Google, DBT you can get some information. Marcia Linehan is the founder of it. Originally it was used with borderline personality disorder but now it is used with many kinds of people. I took a class in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression (Joh Kabat Zinn et al) and it has a lot of similarities but includes more than mediation/mindfulness. Hope this is of some help; see what you can find on Google though.

Nadia

I did DBT for several years... this morning I was thinking about one of the techniques, which is to think of something like the covers when you are in bed, how they clothe and comfort you. It helped me get through my AM anxiety.

Thanks for the guided meditation. It helps me a bunch, too. Also meditation with movement, like Tai Chi or Chi Kung.

Nikki

Hi...discovered something that is benefiting me....Lots of stress right now.

I finally bought a CD player and I bought a book with a CD from Dr. Brian Weiss on Amazon.

I think it was $4.

I put it on while laying down at bedtime, and I am feeling less anxious in the mornings.

I have alot of anxiety now with stuff going on, but I feel this is helping.

I am also continuing with Mindful Meditation. My friend who teaches it, has classes that go for 4-5 weeks, but they are very pricey for me right now. I do intend to sign up one of the days.

He is a Neurologist and does address the brain's function in all of this which is interesting.

It does work well with the Amygdala in reducing fear and the Hypocamus (if I am saying it right).

I look forward to hearing the CD at night. There are more at Amazon and the prices are good.

Hugs

If you can please read my primary post. I need some input :)

GiaK

Bliss is a benzo survivor and has been through and healed from a heinous withdrawal...so this video is for us...knowing exactly who we are... 

A relaxing, 10 minute meditation narrated by Baylissa (Bliss) Frederick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyCAvdnBcU0

I found this video on Baylissa’s facebook page: Bloom in Wellness

recovery.jpg?w=100&h=150

Baylissa Frederick is the author of Recovery and Renewal: Your Essential Guide to Overcoming Dependency and Withdrawal from Sleeping Pills, Other ‘Benzo’ Tranquillisers and Antidepressants

She is a benzo survivor and is one of the many lovely people who has helped me greatly over the years. I wrote about the lovely cycle of peers helping one another recently. See: Peer support? This is the real thing. Free of institutionalization. (psych drug withdrawal)

She has written these posts on Beyond Meds:

More Benzo info

More Meditation posts

Petunia

A 30 minute Guided Meditation for Calming Emotions by Jim Tolles

"In this 30 minute guided meditation, I offer you an opportunity to go deeply within along with some gentle techniques for calming emotions. Everyone's experience will change over time depending on the emotions they are facing, and some people may feel a little messier and more upset afterwards as they start to process old upset emotions that have never been faced. In this way, I encourage you to use this guided meditation multiple times to continue your exploration, release old painful emotions, and drop more deeply into your natural inner serenity and love."

I tried this about 2 hours ago, I think I got through 10 minutes of it, it put me to sleep, I just woke up.  I'm going to try again now.  I hope others find it helpful.

GiaK

oh, this guy is interesting...I've come across him before...thanks for sharing, i'm going to check it out

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

How is your meditation class going? Are you still doing it?

Jemima

Just what I needed at the right time!  If there were such a thing as a worry-wart competition I'd have a good chance of winning it.  Thanks, Nikki.

LoveandLight

Jim tolles I'm in contact with the guy..he's really great thoroughly recommend skype sessions with him

LoveandLight

This seems to help me relax - it is in Icelandic so there are no recognisable words to remind me of anything. So I thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone else. Although I haven't tried it in the worst of the worst times.

Enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojLgN7wqc5A

btdt

This is always on standby waiting for me... for years now.

I hope it helps you too. 

btdt

In the last few months I have been using this one too... I like it for a change.... sometimes

lundeliz

Thank you for posting this. Her voice is very soothing to me.

Petunia

Several similar topics merged.

Listening to this always makes me smile  dauphin07.gif

btdt

Several similar topics merged.

Listening to this always makes me smile  dauphin07.gif

I liked this one after I the one on the screen a choice of small thumbnails came up I tried the 8 hr one in the center which was one sound... laid back with my head phones still on and slept for an hour a half. I feel better was the sleep the sound or both I am not sure. 

Edited by Petunia
removed duplicate video

Petunia

I found this one last night and it put me to sleep in about 10 minutes. 

Sleep Hypnosis Relaxation Simple Guided Talkdown for Insomnia (Calm Music & Soft Ocean Waves)

Petunia

5 of the Best Sleep Guided Meditations (Combined into one seamless recording)

This will help those who would like to hear more talking whilst going to sleep :) In this 3 hour 18 minute recording, you will hear 5 guided meditations plus at the end an extra hour of 'forest sounds with music.' PLEASE NOTE: There are no breaks in this recording. They run into each other.

You will be taken on a trip through space, into the clouds, under the ocean and finally on land into the mountains and forests.

1. Floating amongst the stars

2. Floating through the clouds meditation

3. Whale Song "The Big Blue" meditation

4. Into the Mountains Guided meditation

5. Into the forest meditation

6. Forest music (with forest sound fx)

Petunia

Bumping this thread for new members and adding 4 more

Sleep Hypnosis for Deep Trance Forest Dreaming (voice only) 24 minutes by Michael Sealey
Hypnosis for Self Healing Energy 43.38 minutes by Michael Sealey
Guided Sleep Talkdown with Gentle Rain 1 hour by The Honest Guys
Talisman Guided Meditation (healing from the inside out) 38 minutes by Jason Stephenson

SkyBlue

This is a wonderful bit about self-compassion, something we could all use more of!!! 

Shep

I'm learning how to sleep without drugs after taking various drug cocktails for misdiagnosed manic-depression for 30 years, starting as a teenager. Learning to sleep without drugs has proven to be very, very difficult. Insomnia and memory problems are my worst symptoms, followed by being in a dissociative state due to dp/dr. I have to work, plus I live in a crowded, inner-city housing complex, so there are multiple reasons why my insomnia is so bad and may not be simply withdrawal.

Since I'm finding success, I wanted to share with all of you in hopes that everyone here will get a well-deserved night's sleep. I'm currently 10 months off all drugs, and my sleep went from 0 - 2 hours a night for months, but now is around 5 - 7 hours almost every night. 

I really believe we get to create our own baseline, so my goal in learning how to sleep involves learning how to control my anxiety, set goals that keep me in a positive mindset and give me something realistic to dream about, and teach me healthy distractions to stay occupied on nights when sleep simply doesn't happen. 

I posted some videos on my Intro and someone mentioned placing the links here.  Plus I've added more for this thread. If you have some favorite videos that help you sleep, please add to this thread. I hope this is helpful and I wish you all a good night's sleep. 

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm finding that taking a bath with Epsom salts helps. However, please note that some people have problems with this due to the magnesium, so do your research first. Going into a nightly routine as relaxed as possible seems to help a great deal. Reading, listening to soft jazz or classical music, gentle yoga, prayer or meditation, etc. will let your CNS know that it's "okay", even if life is telling you otherwise. 

If your mind isn't in a sleep mode, sometimes getting the body relaxed first can help. As the body relaxes, the mind follows. Here are two videos that help me, one for 30 minutes and one for 10 minutes (sometimes the akathisia and anxiety makes longer videos difficult).

Jon Kabat-Zinn: Body Scan (approximately 30 minutes)

10 Minute Guided Body Scan Meditation from The Meditation Coach (approximately 10 minutes)

Sometimes the mind simply won't shut off.  I've found my thoughts to be my loudest neighbors, but I have the power to lower their volume. I've found several Mooji videos to be very useful in helping me learn to let my thoughts come and go without inviting them in.

Nervousness, Anxiety & Fear ~ Spoken by Mooji (approximately 10 minutes)

Unbound Peace ~ Mooji (approximately 14 minutes)

From Fear to Stillness ~ Mooji (approximately 9 minutes)

Once I've given both my body and my mind the time and space to quieten, I settle in with a guided sleep meditation. Here are my favorites so far:

Relaxation Music - Night-time Drive to The Beach - ASMR (approximately 35 minutes)

Guided Sleep Meditation Talkdown (approximately 30 minutes)

Guided Sleep Talkdown - Gentle Rain (approximately 1 hour)

If you have loud neighbors, sirens blaring unpredictably, or whatever composes your current environmental soundscape, remember this is just other people's drama. It's not yours. And most importantly, it's not you. You are composing your own baseline. 

Also remember that this is temporary. Your journey is more than this one phase. I've never met a person worth knowing who lived an ideal and perfect life, and this is just the raw, imperfect, and jagged part of your own journey. 

And if you can learn to cope through this, all the rest will fall into place. Learning to get out of my own way is making this so much easier. 

Freespirit1962

Hi Shep

Thanks for all this info and the links - really helpful. It's 2.5 years now since I came off meds cold turkey and sleep is still my biggest challenge - I have tried some of the stuff you mention, but not all, so will give them a go. There's always something new to try !!

Shep

Hi Shep

Thanks for all this info and the links - really helpful. It's 2.5 years now since I came off meds cold turkey and sleep is still my biggest challenge - I have tried some of the stuff you mention, but not all, so will give them a go. There's always something new to try !!

Hi, Freespirit. Sorry I missed replying to this, but I just came across your post.

There's a free online mindfulness course here - http://palousemindfulness.com/

It's too structured for me to go through right now, but it really looks like a great 8 week course. I plan on trying to get through it again once my concentration is better.

I'm still struggling with sleep, too, but hopefully we'll both see improvements soon. 

Petunia

If you are currently in pain, whether emotional or physical, or just feeling very uncomfortable, this talk by Tara Brach may help. Tara explores the difference between pain and suffering and examines the most common, yet often unconscious, ways we resist pain. She teaches us how to find peace, even when in the midst of pain.

There are several short guided practices included as part of this talk.

Her voice is calm and soothing, so just listening to her speak can be relaxing.

Tara Brach - The Dance with Pain (approximately 1 hour)

FightingForHope

Thanks for all the shares! Shep's suggestions brought me to this, which helped me sleep:

jada

oh my gosh! TY <3 :) just found this and tried! blessings

FightingForHope

How great! :D

I also wanted to mention here this ASMR channel by a young woman I find very calming:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GentleWhispering

Whether ASMR works for you or not, I find the clips very soothing!
(Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response: a pleasant physiological sensation experienced when engaged with certain auditory and visual triggers.)

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MassageASMR
and his relaxation meditation videos with Tibetan bowls ^_^