awalkerphoenix

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred or dimmed vision etc

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

Should I go get my eyes checked?

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

Will this symptom go away? It's been 7 weeks now and it's persisting.

ten0275   
ten0275

bluebalu86, hi.

three visual symptoms presented for me during withdrawal:

** difficulty in adjusting to light variations (for example, i would be nearly blind for many minutes after moving indoors from outdoors)

** the sensation that my eyes could not accept the input of the objects presented before them: a strained type of feeling upon visual stimulation. pushing a child on a swing would cause great strain on my eyes as my eyes struggled to maintain proper focus on the moving object.

** floaters - which for me appeared to sometimes be little sparkling zig-zaggy things, or also bright spots that i could not see through.

all of these dissapated for me as my withdrawal symptoms decreased.

despite your doctor's ridiculous assertion that withdrawal cannot last 7 weeks, you are very early in the withdrawal process and visual disturbances are not an odd occurence at all.

i would say that your best gauge to put your mind at ease would be to question: did the visual disturbances stop after i discontinued the drug? if you answer "yes" to this question, then i would feel comfortable assuming it is withdrawal. and if it comes with withdrawl's start, it will likely go with withdrawal's finish.

following through with a doctor's appointment is always an option, but if this is withdrawal-related, your eyes are going to check out just fine. i hope this helps.

hang in there.

dave

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

Thank you Dave. It all started with the onset of withdrawal on February 16. How long did yours last? I know it's individual I just need someone to tell me something. I can't stand being in the dark. 

I'm very desperate with the doctor's incompetence and his dissmissal of my problems and don't know where to turn. This is all so frustrating. 

ten0275   
ten0275

bluebalu86,

you've no idea how many times i've wished i'd journaled my withdrawal day by day so i could remember timelines. but as you aptly pointed out, we're all individual. but i'll give you a general estimate of how it went down for me. i think it was fairly steady from months 1 thru maybe 4 or 5, and then in sort of started to become intermittent presenting only when i was experiencing "waves" of symptoms. i don't think i was really dealing with it at all after the 8 or 9 month mark. that is my best recollection.

but to me, you just nailed it:

It all started with the onset of withdrawal on February 16.

that would be an INTENSE coincidence, my friend. it came with withdrawl.

hang in there. i know it is annoying as an itch you can't reach to scratch, so just try to bear with it until heads for the hills.

dave

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

Thank you very much. Yes indeed, it's extremely annoying. I'm hanging in there and hoping it will subside with time.

Songbird   
Songbird

I suddenly developed a lot of floaters after several years on paroxetine and a few unsuccessful taper attempts.  I don't know if it was the SSRI, the withdrawal or just a coincidence. I suspect it was not a coincidence, but there is no way to prove it one way or another.  They have never gone away.  I don't notice them all the time, but sometimes they are very annoying.  My general vision has also deteriorated, but being in my forties I suppose this might have happened anyway.  It is frustrating as I used to have perfect vision.

Jaywill   
Jaywill

I just went in for an eye exam and they said I have white circles around the coloured part of my eyes inside indicative of high cholesterol  or a faulty liver and I know my cholesterol is fine. I get floaters too

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

It's my most persisting symptom so far. And the most annoying. I also have eye pressure, discomfort and sometimes pain when I move my eyes. It's really putting me down. 

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

I did some reading and I'm thinking what if the floaters are not cause by the WD (since they are persisting and not lessening with time), but by the 5mg of Cipralex? I read a lot of people get floaters on SSRIs as a side effect. Maybe it could be dose-related and I didn't have them before because I was on a higher dose and somehow the higher dose didn't have them as a side effect?

And I was also thinking what if they're cause by the other drug I'm taking and haven't stopped or tapered, which is a low dose of Flupentixol. Maybe they were masked by the Cipralex and now that I have lowered the dose they appear? I don't know at this point. I guess only time will show. When you take multiple drugs and withdraw from some of them you don't know what's causing what. It's so complicated. It's really bugging me because they're there all the time and it's really annoying. I want them gone!

Altostrata   
Altostrata

bluebalu, how old are you? Floaters develop naturally in people who are middle-aged.

Nathalou   
Nathalou

I have developed eye floaters since a week, am in week 4 of withdrawal after failed RI. have never had this problem before, and I am 27. I have difficulty also focusing on text when I read, my vision is sort of like "staccato".

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

I'm 29 years old. I used to have floaters before but not as many as I do now, and not all the time. It didn't bother me.

someday   
someday

About 3.5 months after I took my last Lexapro tablet, I started experiencing a tiny white flash, the size of a pinhole, in my peripheral vision in my left eye. It happens a handful of times per day. The flash comes and goes at lightning speed. Does anyone know if this is a commonly reported symptom of withdrawal syndrome or not? I did a search on this site (using Google) but didn't come across anything similar.

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

I have a ridiculous amount of floaters and my vision is blurry. It sucks, but I found out the hard way that the mental symptoms are waaay worse, so I'm not complaining anymore! I will deal with the floaters until they go away.

shelby   
shelby

Has anyone gone temporary blind during withdrawal? Its a new symptom a my eyes keep diming after i do something strenuous

btdt   
btdt

Stop doing anything strenuous and make an eye appointment please... there are some things we should not fool around with our eyes that is one of them.  I had a time when I was on drugs where my vision seemed to get bad all of a sudden I did not have a doctor at the time I had them checked by a clinic gp who said they look ok put a light and had a look... but I did not have the real testing that should have been done.  My eyesight did not improve and I have since had to wear glasses  which I need to change a lot.  Others have said they need to change their glasses a lot in wd too... so there is some idea that wd can have vision changes as part of the experience.  Since my experience was that my eye sight changed suddenly while drugged and did not recover... my best advice is to not mess around with it and get your eyes checked by a real eye doctor. This is one time where it may be wd but if it is not you need to be sure... in my opinion. 

shelby   
shelby

I do wear glasses... this was more like a dimming of my vision

btdt   
btdt

Best to have it checked is all I am going to say and try not to worry or do anything that makes it worse in the mean time... my opinion. 

peace

btdt   
btdt

Effexor has been known to cause some eye troubles being safe is better than not... I came back to check what drug you took and I know this one Effexor was my last drug too... it likely is nothing big but I have had one post on another site that was about E and eyesight that was big dont fool with it.

Petunia   
Petunia

I've had that happen a few times when I've over exerted myself. I think it might be part of the exercise intolerance which can happen as part of withdrawal. For me, when it happens I also feel dizzy, weak and feverish. I don't think it would cause permanent blindness, but its better if you pace yourself and don't do things which make you feel worse or cause symptoms like this.

If it gets worse or continues, you might want to get it checked out as BTDT suggested.

seekinghealth   
seekinghealth

I am currently tapering sertraline, as well as holding steady at 50 mg Trazodone at night for sleep. I have been experiencing blurred vision for several months now, which I know is a side effect of Traz. It seems to be getting increasingly worse. Has anyone had this problem, then had their vision restored after coming off Traz or any other drug with a similar side effect? I want to hope that I haven't messed up my vision permanently!

DLB   
DLB

My close reading vision went to hell in the past few months quickly at the end of my paxil taper.

LostInTheWoods   
LostInTheWoods

At the start of paroxetine, my vision got slightly blurry but I had been told it was a "temporary side effect". It did pass when I was on 20 mg but in the last year I have been developing some nasty ghost images that get worse at night. Truth to be told, I'm already on my 30s and have spent a big amount of my time watching screens, so it could be also due to age.

btdt   
btdt

Not sure if this is here already or not but came to this accidentally today

Effexor - Angle-closure glaucoma

Thought it should be here in case somebody needs it

http://www.worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=84

It is a list of drugs that cause eye problems prozac is on it.. prednisone... lots of drugs. 

katieb   
katieb

I have been experiencing blurred vision, dry red eyes and also runny eyes.The blurry vision is for me the worst.

NoMeaning25   
NoMeaning25

Normal. Because ive had severe visual distortions for 3 years.

Still hoping it will get better

Horns85   
Horns85

Has anyone experienced super dry eyes? I don't have any other allergy symptoms so I have ruled that out. Could it be that the eye muscles are stressed from anxiety and when they are relaxed, they become sore and cause dry eye? Thanks!

Moon500   
Moon500

I have eye daze and twitching eyes dose any body feel the same? Dose it go?

Petunia   
Petunia

I've just developed sore, itchy eyes, it comes and goes through the day, it started about a week ago. It gets worse if I rub my eyes, so I try not to. I'm assuming this is withdrawal related, although it might not be. I'm expecting this will be another one of those symptoms which hangs around for a while and then goes away.

gemini   
gemini

Aw, I became debilitated from Zoloft wd. I am in my 8th month of cessation from this drug and I am having to move in with my sister, leave everything behind and move cross country. Yes, the drugs left my body in a few weeks, but no, my nervous system, brain are in the stages of a slow healing. I'm seeing a breaking up of my symptoms, ocd mostly gone and rage mostly gone as well as loopy thinking slowly abating (thoughts stuck on a repeat/circular motion).

I am grateful to have lost everything to gain med-freedom!!!! I get my life back!

gemini   
gemini

Aw, also physical symptoms are incrementally at a snail's pace getting better, I.e, blurry vision, certain body aches, global/systemic pain. These psych meds are designed to kill humans, not aid us.

bluebalu86   
bluebalu86

I've been having an insane amount of constant eye floaters for 6 months now. No change and no relief. I think this is permanent. 

Skyler   
Skyler

I've been having an insane amount of constant eye floaters for 6 months now. No change and no relief. I think this is permanent. 

It can take 6 months, sometimes longer for floaters to be absorbed by the eye.  One of mine was particularly annoying, and made reading difficult, but it too eventually was absorbed.... you might want to read here.  "Most people have floaters and learn to ignore them; they are usually not noticed until they become numerous or more prominent. Floaters can become apparent when looking at something bright, such as white paper or a blue sky."

AliceBauer   
AliceBauer

It's been a while since anyone has posted in this but I am having these issues now and since its been a few years since these posts in wondering- has anyone had improvement? I'm looking for some encouragement. Thank you!