Punarbhava

St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

Ann13

I have been taking High Potency St. Johns Wort from GNC from 1998-2017 for severe genetic depression/Anxiety with no problems except photo sensitivity in summer, so I wear strong sunscreen. I avoid wine, but not a drinker anyway. People who say st. Johns wort is only for mild depression are plain wrong. I did find that 300mg. Capsules weren't enough for me, but at least 1000 mg did work, but on a regular basis I take 1500/mg. a day. It got rid of ALL my symptoms in a week, and gave me my life back. I am the same as I was before the disease hit. I realize it doesn't work for everyone, every person's brain chemistry and genetics differ. It comes in 500mg. Capsules, a lg. bottle is around 20.00 at GNC at the stores or online. Also I feed my brain other things it needs like OMEGA 3,6,9 udos Oil, Vitamin B complex50-100 mg, zinc, selenium, probiotics, either lots of veggies or greens supplements. Unless you eat fish and seeds a lot, your brain gets no omegas. DON'T COMBINE WITH ANTIDEPRESSANTS, & check with interactions with Prescriptions as there are many. My best to anyone having to deal with any mental illness:)

Moderator note: Please read the first post in this topic. It include excerpts from several articles about St. John's Wort including this one:

"The Potential Dangers of Saint John's Wort: The Antidepressant Herb that May Not Be Right for Everyone"

Edited by scallywag
added moderator note

theloneranger86

what is the general consensus on SJW ,out here . Alto whats your take ? Iv read some rave reviews about SJW on BB . A lot of people claim it cured anhedonia for them .Im a little tempted to take SJW and tyrosine to cure my anhedonia

brassmonkey

Please read through this entire thread, it contains all that information.  Basically we do not recommend taking SJW.  It is technically just another SSRI with all the associated problems, side effects and WD problems. 

dluv

To anyone considering SJW to help with w/d -- I've experimented with taking it for a month after being two years off Effexor and am now suffering symptoms more severe than ever. Insomnia, akathisia, anxiety and panic attacks worse than they've ever been. Too bad I didn't read through this thread before I tried it. It is indeed just another antidepressant. 

brassmonkey

Please read this topic from the beginning it will tell you everything you need to know.

JanCarol

People who have had their serotinin receptors "fiddled" (drugged, altered, sensitized) are more likely to have reactions to this drug.  

People who have been on serotinin drugs can have reactions to St. John's Wort, and there have been some fairly strong reactions.  Some after just one dose.

Others have gotten "hooked" on them - just like Prozac - and had to taper them

Just because it's a plant, doesn't mean it's 

1.  Safe for you

2.  Right for you

Additionally, those doses are very high.

For studies (usually sponsored by vested interests) the doses are high enough to get a reaction.  In herbal medicine, you want support and gentle response.

They are potent, like drugs - but the drugs are too strong, too.  

When I look at plant medicine, I like to look at "would I eat this as food?"  Would I eat this in one day?

IMG_3792-300x199.jpg

Every day?  I don't think so.