angie007

Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations

Junglechicken
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, IrishMonkey92 said:

How does everyone’s pins and needles present? Do you lean on something, and then your arm or hand starts getting pins and needles? I cross my legs sometimes and it happens so easily. Even doing stretching in yoga - like maybe touching bending over to toe my toes will invoke pins and needles. Sometimes laying in bed my hand will go numb. 

Is this this the same for everyone? 

Yes, I've been experiencing this.

If I lie on my arms (they are under my pillow) for too long in bed, they go really numb, and that slows my heartrate......its alarming when it happens and gave me a panic attack once.

Yes, I easily develop pins and needles if my legs are crossed for too long, as well as numbness.

Toulouse

Earlier in WD, I would have a numb toe when I work up in the morning but it would go away after getting up and walking around a bit. But now, 2 years later, after not really having this issue (except sporadically) it has returned, only now it stays with me all day. (it becomes less noticeable at times, but it's there if I think about it).  Also, I think my other foot is starting to tingle a little bit too.  So this has been happening for about a week straight.  It seems after I had a dental visit 2 weeks ago (2 cavities filled, was there for 3 hours),  my anxiety really spiked in the days following that, then that's when this started up again.

I'm a bit paranoid about it being something else, and hoping it's just another WD that will pass in a few weeks time.  What makes me think it is WD is that my anxiety has lifted a bit, and it seems now that symptom is replaced by this sensation.   Any one have the pins and needles that stick around like mine have?

grandmaD
On 1/26/2018 at 4:21 AM, IrishMonkey92 said:

How does everyone’s pins and needles present? Do you lean on something, and then your arm or hand starts getting pins and needles? I cross my legs sometimes and it happens so easily. Even doing stretching in yoga - like maybe touching bending over to toe my toes will invoke pins and needles. Sometimes laying in bed my hand will go numb. 

Is this this the same for everyone? 

Lying in bed in one spot too long causes the kind of "pins and needles" we are all used to where your arm or hand or leg "goes to sleep" as we would call it.  Sitting on the toilet too long causes my legs to get pins and needles or "go to sleep".

The "tingling' sensation I have had right thru w/d is still the same, mostly in my legs.  Sometimes it can be mild, moderate or high and other times excruciating high and painful.  It is worse at night when I am still and trying to sleep and apart from anxiety and palpitations which cause insomnia, this leg tingling (which also causes aching and pain) prevents sleep.

I always blamed this on lower back injuries, affecting my legs, but I have seen it in w/d, so I'm not sure.  I just hope it will go away when I finally get off this poison. 

grandmaD
10 hours ago, Toulouse said:

Earlier in WD, I would have a numb toe when I work up in the morning but it would go away after getting up and walking around a bit. But now, 2 years later, after not really having this issue (except sporadically) it has returned, only now it stays with me all day. (it becomes less noticeable at times, but it's there if I think about it).  Also, I think my other foot is starting to tingle a little bit too.  So this has been happening for about a week straight.  It seems after I had a dental visit 2 weeks ago (2 cavities filled, was there for 3 hours),  my anxiety really spiked in the days following that, then that's when this started up again.

I'm a bit paranoid about it being something else, and hoping it's just another WD that will pass in a few weeks time.  What makes me think it is WD is that my anxiety has lifted a bit, and it seems now that symptom is replaced by this sensation.   Any one have the pins and needles that stick around like mine have?

So, do you think this issue is connected to anxiety?

IrishMonkey92
6 hours ago, grandmaD said:

Lying in bed in one spot too long causes the kind of "pins and needles" we are all used to where your arm or hand or leg "goes to sleep" as we would call it.  Sitting on the toilet too long causes my legs to get pins and needles or "go to sleep".

The "tingling' sensation I have had right thru w/d is still the same, mostly in my legs.  Sometimes it can be mild, moderate or high and other times excruciating high and painful.  It is worse at night when I am still and trying to sleep and apart from anxiety and palpitations which cause insomnia, this leg tingling (which also causes aching and pain) prevents sleep.

I always blamed this on lower back injuries, affecting my legs, but I have seen it in w/d, so I'm not sure.  I just hope it will go away when I finally get off this poison. 

Is your assessment that this is normal or due to withdrawal? 

Toulouse

I think it’s wd. I’m not sure though. Trying to compare to other people here which is why I posted.

IrishMonkey92
2 hours ago, Toulouse said:

I think it’s wd. I’m not sure though. Trying to compare to other people here which is why I posted.

Do you experience what I experience? It’s just someone said no, this whole thread is about feeling the pins and needles and numbness regardless without doing anything. 

To my recollection, I never got pins and needles this easily during my life. 

If someone could chime in on whether their experience is similar to mine, that would be great. 

Mimi11

Hey guys, I have the all over numbness and pins and needles type feeling that comes and goes and has been with me awhile and then I also get the "regular" pins and needles feeling more easily too (from crossing legs, or leaning on something etc). I definitely attribute both to WD and some kind of nervous system dysregulation. I never ever had any issues like this before. I'm in my 28th month of WD. There is healing happening still though. I seem to have days where everything is clicking so to speak and my skin feels normal. 

Spice81

I’ve changed meds from fluoxetine to citalapram and now on venlafaxine all within the last 3 months and I get it in my hands at night pins and needles and knumb hands... it’s pretty scary not knowing why... I never had it while on my fluoxetine for years ... not sure if withdrawal or not ???? 

I did not wean off any of these just straight swap so has been a rough ride..

Callie
15 hours ago, Mimi11 said:

I have the pins and needles type feeling that comes and goes and has been with me awhile and then I also get the "regular" pins and needles feeling

This is how mine is, too. I can feel a difference between the regular pins and needles of a foot falling asleep, for example, and the neurological skin surface type pins and needles. Thanks to grandmaD, I have started calling the latter "stinging nettles"--best description. It's not only pin prickly; it stings like heck. This paresthesia has been my constant predominant symptom. Besides the stinging nettles, I experience burning pain. The skin on my arms, hands, and fingers is so hypersensitive that touch is very weird and painful.  When I touch anything or when clothes rub against my skin, the sensation is one hundredfold and just keeps on and on and on. It also makes my whole body feel like electricity is running through it at times. Also, at times throughout the day, my arms feel just like blocks of ice, like they are frozen to the bone. Last of all, sometimes it feels as if my skin is peeling off.

I can't find any relief for any of it now. Earlier on when I only had stinging nettles, stabbing pains, skin sparking, and itching; medicated lotions and icing my arms helped symptoms temporarily. The stabbing, sparking, and itching went away eventually. I also tried arm sleeves. Those didn't help at all and were actually extremely painful. I also told of my experience (see page 5 this topic) with the cotton ball. Desensitization, therefore, doesn't work.

I was polypoisoned for 14 years and then rapidly tapered. I took my last venlafaxine xr capsule 10 months ago today after an extremely swift taper (<2 months for this med, abrupt cessation for the other meds) with the help (or lack thereof really) of my doctor. I've been in torturous hell ever since with no windows. I contend daily with many other symptoms, too.

Praying for all of you that you heal quickly,

Callie

Junglechicken
5 hours ago, Callie said:

This is how mine is, too. I can feel a difference between the regular pins and needles of a foot falling asleep, for example, and the neurological skin surface type pins and needles. Thanks to grandmaD, I have started calling the latter "stinging nettles"--best description. It's not only pin prickly; it stings like heck. This paresthesia has been my constant predominant symptom. Besides the stinging nettles, I experience burning pain. The skin on my arms, hands, and fingers is so hypersensitive that touch is very weird and painful.  When I touch anything or when clothes rub against my skin, the sensation is one hundredfold and just keeps on and on and on. It also makes my whole body feel like electricity is running through it at times. Also, at times throughout the day, my arms feel just like blocks of ice, like they are frozen to the bone. Last of all, sometimes it feels as if my skin is peeling off.

I can't find any relief for any of it now. Earlier on when I only had stinging nettles, stabbing pains, skin sparking, and itching; medicated lotions and icing my arms helped symptoms temporarily. The stabbing, sparking, and itching went away eventually. I also tried arm sleeves. Those didn't help at all and were actually extremely painful. I also told of my experience (see page 5 this topic) with the cotton ball. Desensitization, therefore, doesn't work.

I was polypoisoned for 14 years and then rapidly tapered. I took my last venlafaxine xr capsule 10 months ago today after an extremely swift taper (<2 months for this med, abrupt cessation for the other meds) with the help (or lack thereof really) of my doctor. I've been in torturous hell ever since with no windows. I contend daily with many other symptoms, too.

Praying for all of you that you heal quickly,

Callie

Have experienced the "stinging nettle" sensation on my legs recently.

Scared the hell out of me.

Mimi11

Callie, I feel the same with clothing. It's like my skin is hypersensitive to the material touching my skin. Yet, the irony is I also have reduced sensation pretty much all over my body. You would think that the two couldn't co-exist, but they do. I used to dread putting on pants every day. It's gotten a bit better, but still very much a predominant symptom for me too. Do you also have digestive issues? I'm starting to wonder if there's a pattern that when my stomach and digestion are off, the skin sensations are worse. I've had a few days where my skin has felt quite normal. And on those days, I'm in the best mood!! It feels wonderful to feel normal in my own skin...literally. But there's only been a few of that days in the past year. 

Callie

Mimi11:

Yes, my digestive issue is chronic constipation. I've started taking probiotics so hoping they will help. I think my digestive issue is unrelated to my skin issue, but maybe there is a pattern with your digestive issues and skin hypersensitivity. Good to know you've had some relief though. I hope for you that the next period of relief you experience will be permanent.

I had messaged someone on SA who had skin hypersensitivity to see his outcome. He told me that eventually it faded away. That's a hope to hold on to.

Thank you, Mimi11, and take care,

Callie