SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Geoff22000

geoff22000

Hi My name is Geoff and I am new to this site. I have recently started a 5% reduction from 60mg of Cymbalta. I have been on AD's for over 20 years and am now convinved they dont help me at all, in fact, I believe they are harming me. I have started to feel withdrawl symptons after just a week of 5% withdrawl. mainly brain zaps and a fuzzy head. I think this site can help me to achieve my present goal of reducing from 60mg down to 30mg. thanks

Been on various SSRI's since early 1990's. Prozac, mirtazapine, citalopram, Effexor to name a few.

Cymbalta 60mg for last 5 years.

Over 20 years of medication without breaks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Geoff

Welcome to the site. Glad to hear you are taking it slow on your reductions. We usually recommend you wait 4 weeks between cuts to allow your body time to respond. It's good to document your symptoms every day to identify patterns. The goal though is to be relatively symptom free, to go slow enough that it doesn't destabilise your nervous system

To help us out, please put your withdrawal history in your signature. See these instructions http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, Geoff.

Here is our topic specifically about tapering Cymbalta http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Geoff!

When you say "a week of 5% withdrawal" do you mean you made a 5% cut one time, or you've been cutting 5% a day for a week? 

There's a ton of great information in our Tapering section, the stuff pinned at the top and the links given in those posts. 

Glad you're here. I'm certain that with patience, you'll be able to reach your goal. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi - I am tapering down by 5% per month and then reviewing any with-drawl symptoms. As Cymbalta 60mg is slow release I am weighing out the beads using digital scales. there is no other way with this medication as far as I can see. 

Its good to read the success stories on this site so that gives me hope!

I am 100% convinced that after 20+ years these drugs are not just useless but are actually keeping me depressed and zombie like.

The level of support you actually get to come off these drugs is shocking really. next to nothing. My GP is aware of my action plan to reduce from 60mg down to 30mg, but in reality probably couldn't care less whether I do or I don't!

Any advice or tips would always be appreciated.

I had some major headaches over the weekend with the usual brain zaps but today they seem better. early days though!

will post again soon

thanks Geoff

Been on various SSRI's since early 1990's. Prozac, mirtazapine, citalopram, Effexor to name a few.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I am having a really rough few days so need to "put pen to paper" to hopefully make sense of it all. I have tried about 6 times to come off AD's altogether and have failed each time.Now I am taking it really slowly after finding this website. but even a mere 5% reduction from 60mg Cymbalta is proving tough. I am guessing everyone is different with withdrawal symptoms so I can only go with what my body is telling me not what anyone says. I have been on the 5% reduction now for 3-4 weeks. last few days I have sunk into a depressive episode feeling really down.

These drugs are hell to get off but so easy to start! After 20 years on AD's and reading many journals about "tardive dysphoria" and how after many years AD's can actually start working against you ie keeping you depressed I can fully appreciate many peoples fears and concerns about staying on them, and the pure hell of weaning oneself off them slowly.

It would be nice to get some support from a few people who are going through the same experience as myself so that I don't feel so hopeless and alone.

thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff

i came off zolfot this year and had all the usual crap that goes with withdrawal,the only advice i can offer is listen to your body and go slow.It does get easier, after a few months at zero my mood very very slowly started to lift,you can and will get better but be patient

good luck

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Andy! - good to hear from you hope you are doing ok??

Hi Altostrata - Yes I am currently on 57mg Cymbalta for the previous 3-4 weeks now. I also started taking a really good quality fish oil a few weeks ago after reading several articles from this site. No intention of any more withdrawals until after my holiday in less than 3 weeks time. I don't wont to be totally depressed visiting New York for the 1st time. How do the magnesium supplements help please?? many thanks

Thanks Andy! - good to hear from you hope you are doing ok??

Hi Altostrata - Yes I am currently on 57mg Cymbalta for the previous 3-4 weeks now. I also started taking a really good quality fish oil a few weeks ago after reading several articles from this site. No intention of any more withdrawals until after my holiday in less than 3 weeks time. I don't wont to be totally depressed visiting New York for the 1st time. How do the magnesium supplements help please?? many thanks

magnesium is really good to hep you relax ,it helps to take it at night for a good nights sleep

enjoy your NYC trip !

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Moderator Emeritus

Geoff, hang in there. It may be a long journey but it will be well worth it, you will get so much of yourself back. There's no point in hurrying; if you find the symptoms with a 5% cut to be intolerable, cut 3% next time instead and see what happens. I would say definitely wait till after your holiday, and wait until you're feeling fairly well before cutting again.

I know it is frustrating to go so slowly, but having done it for four years I have reached the point where I'm on such small doses that I am really, really enjoying the improvement in so many ways and I am so grateful to my four-years-ago self for her patience and determination. Take your time, go as slow as you need to, you are giving your future self an immense gift that will last the rest of your life, if you take it slow and stay patient!

Have a great time on your vacation.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Geoff, please read the link I gave you regarding the magnesium supplements.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Altostrata - thanks for your encouragement! It does help! I can now see this is no race and will take as long as it takes. How long have you been reducing your meds? or are you med free now?? I almost look at taking meds for over 20 years as brain damage and it takes a long time to recover from a brain injury!  years!

I am off to New York next Tuesday! this will give me a chance to recharge the batteries and experience an amazing city!

I may only look at a 3% reduction next time instead of a 5% reduction.

I do feel depressed at the moment but am able to work get up and exercise and function. I just don't seem to care or have any passion for anything. A dull zombie like existence. I am really hoping this are the drugs and not me!

Can you tell me how better you are feeling several years down the road on your recovery please?

best wishes

Geoff

• Administrator

Geoff, I went off Paxil in October 2004 over 3 weeks and experienced prolonged post-acute withdrawal syndrome for 9 years. I am largely recovered now.

Have a wonderful trip to NY!

Thanks Altostrata! :)

*Note- post moved from another member's thread as it seemed to be there by mistake.

Thanks for this explanation Platinum Star!

It makes so much sense and why it is so hard to come of these AD's too quickly!

I am doing a 5% taper and reviewing each month. if it doesn't feel right then I wont reduce for another month - then review.

I have a feeling it will take me many many years to recover. thank god for this website!

hope you are doing ok yourself today????   - thanks geoff

Edited by Petu
note added

• 3 weeks later...

@geoff22000

Hi SA - Its now been 2 months since I started my Cymbalta withdrawal. Only reduced by 5% from 60Mg. so now down to 57mg. been struggling this week big time. seem totally depressed and not interested in anything. I cant see how I am going to reduce any further with no benefits. I know I have been on meds continually for over 20 years which is going to make it hard. I now take a good fish oil supplement. I know I struggle with being single so maybe if I had a partner this would help. any support or advice gladly received. many thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Geoff,

I have merged your new post with your original one since we have one thread per member policy here. In that way it's easier to see what is going on. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. Did you have this feelining of anhedonia before you started tapering or did it set in later? 

Could you update your signature with the date of your changes so that we can see it every time you post? Now I can't tell how long it has been since your last cut...

It is possible that your general situation in life is making you unhappy and not (only) the drugs. Have you ever been to any kind of talk therapy? I have find this extremely helpful. Have no idea how I would've managed otherwise. 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks bubble. had to restart my 60mg dose today as side effects from withdrawal too bad. I need to function, I need to work.

I think I may, in the future, have to switch to another SNRI/ SSRI with a much lower half life and try again.

not for a while though as my head needs a rest from all the change

good luck to everyone on SA though

best wishes

Geoff

• 4 years later...

Hi - I have recently reduced my does of Prozac from 40mg to 37mg in about six weeks so not even 10%. last week has been hell on Earth!  feels like I have fallen down a black hole! head feels like its slowly being crushed and my eye balls forced in to the back of my head!  As I have been on medication solid for 27 years I am guessing I will have to take it slower. I think when I get down to 36mg next week I will need to stabilise for a month before any more reductions.

I have tried many times to get off medication without success.

I am now having trauma therapy for childhood abuse and have been advised to get the best results I would need to be medication free. (I trust this person as she is in 12 step like me for 20 years)

Would be good to hear from anyone going through / been through same experience on Prozac.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, geoff22000 said:

I think when I get down to 36mg next week I will need to stabilise for a month before any more reductions.

I would hold where you are at 37 until you have stabilized before tapering further.  

You may  want to switch to a micro-taper going forward. This is the gentlest way to come off these drugs. 

1 hour ago, geoff22000 said:

have been advised to get the best results I would need to be medication free.

Please do not rush the taper.  It's going to take you a long time to taper off 40mg.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hey Geoff22000, Sorry your struggling.  As someone who has been on the same road as you and has gone thru the tunnel into the light, I know for sure you can do this.  I was on Prozac 60MG for the most part of 11yrs as well as high doses of Benzos, Gabapentin & Hydrocodone for severe chronic pain. And although I quit Prozac in a week, it was a definite improvement due to the fact that I was suffering from Prozac  "Poop-out" and Tolerance Withdrawal from the Benzodiazepines for several years (possibly even my other meds as well).  Obviously I was ignorant to what could happen long-term from quitting so quickly, but at the time I was suffering so badly with really excruciating symptoms.  One of the things I found really important in helping me get thru my roughest periods is distraction & keeping busy!  Whatever that means to you & whatever you can do without worsening your symptoms, do it. And remind yourself often that everyday forward is a step in the right direction. There is a lot of useful information on this forum, so please take advantage, please feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.  Take care!  

2 years Drug History Prior to Tapering:

Between 2011 & 2018 I had approximately 58 dose changes between the 4 main medications I took as well as 14 new medications add & taken away.

Prozac (Fluoxetine):(Aug 2016-Dec 2016: 60MG),(June 2017-Nov 2017: 60MG),(Dec 2017: 80MG),(June 2017-Sept 2 2018: 60MG),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 5 2018: 40MG),(Sept 6 2018-Sept 8 2018: 20MG),(Sept 9 2018: 0MG).

Cymbalta:(Jan 2017-May 2017: 60MG).

Cyclobenzaprine: (Aug 2016: 30MG,(Feb 2017: 30MG).

Diazepam (Valium):(Aug 2016-Sept 15 2016: 30MG),(Sept 16 2016-Oct 2017: 15MG),(Nov 2017-Aug 19 2018: 6MG),(Aug 20 2018: 0MG).

Gabapentin:(Aug 2016-Aug 3 2018: 2400MG),(Aug 4 2018-March 26 2019: 2000MG),(March 27 2019-March 30 2019: 1600MG),(May 1 2019: 2000MG)

Hydrocodone:(Aug 2016-Oct 2016: 10-325/4daily),(Nov 2016-Feb 2017: 10-325/3daily),(March 2017-April 2017: 5-325/4daily),(May 2017-April 2018: 10-325/3daily),(June 2018-Aug 25 2018: 10-325/5daily),(Aug 26 2018-Sept 2 2018: 4.5daily),(Sept 3 2018-Sept 10 2018: 10-325/4daily),(Sept 11 2018-Sept 18 2018: 10-325/3daily),(Sept 19 2018-May 1 2019: 10-325/3.5 daily).

Oxycodone: May 2018: 10-325MG/4daily). 

Please see my Intro for full drug history.

**Forgive Yourself For Not Knowing What You Didn't Know Before You Knew It!  -Maya Angelou/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you both for replying. Grindley - thanks for the advice. Laydefish - Thanks for you reply and support. Well done on your journey to date and yes another day is a step in the right direction towards the light. The sun is shining today in the UK and that helps!  All the best Geoff

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/3/2019 at 3:38 AM, Gridley said:

You may  want to switch to a micro-taper going forward. This is the gentlest way to come off these drugs.

There is also the Brass Monkey Slide

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management