Altostrata

Canada members, please check in here

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Please post below if you live in Canada.

I am thinking that connecting our members geographically will enable

• Face-to-face meetings or phone contacts for those of you who wish to meet
  • Support groups
  • Sharing information about doctors, clinics, compounding pharmacies, etc.
  • Organizing to educate physicians, hospitals, and university professors
  • Organizing to contact members of local and national government
  • Research by Canadian researchers

Even if you don't wish to do any of the above, if you are in Canada, please check in here.

Please also click the Follow This Topic button at the top right so you will receive notices about others posting here.

AND -- if you've haven't introduced yourself to the rest of the community yet, please go to our Introductions and Updates forum and start a topic for yourself. You can post updates to your Intro topic to track your progress.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

johnson   
johnson

Checking in. I live in Canada but do not wish to do any of the above at the moment.

btdt   
btdt

I am Canadian. 

Yes I have been brain washed by tv commercials :) 

btdt   
btdt

this is from a different post and I am not thinking great today so I will copy it and some other time will be able to show you all I mean but not today...

Just as the title says I am Canadian and would like to connect with other Canadians here.  I have talked to a few people here over the years that live in Canada but think there may be others who would like to connect.  I have noticed there are threads for other countries and thought it time we had one too. 

It is a big world out there at times I would like to talk to others in my own country about general issues to do with our mental health system as it differs from other countries.  I put this in other forum to leave it open for any topic you wish to discuss. 

There are occasionally things of Canadian origin that affect us but not others in the SA community if you would like to come here to discuss those or anything else ... welcome.

There are threads here on SA that are Canadian specific I know because I put them here in time I hope to link to those posts.

peace all 

btdt   
btdt

Our most important potential advocate is 

Terance Young 

I would hope every Canadian on this site would read his book but if your not into that read his wiki page 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Young_(politician)#Entrance_to_politics

"Young's fifteen-year old daughter Vanessa died in 2000 after taking the Johnson & Johnson prescription drug Cisapride (Prepulsid). Young became a consumer advocate after this incident, and has been fighting for a more stringent and protective drug-monitoring system in Canada. He founded Drug Safety Canada to advocate for safe prescription drugs, and also initiated a hundred million dollar class action lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson and Health Canada in 2000, and an individual lawsuit, later settled after a six-year court battle. This story is told in detail in Young's book Death by Prescription, available on line. In June 2013 at a pharmacy in Etobicoke Ontario. Canada's Minister of Health Leona Aglukkaq and Young announced that the government of Canada would introduce plain language labelling for prescription and over-the-counter drugs similar to the risk communications provided to patients and doctors in the US and UK to help reduce adversee drug reactions, the fourth leading cause of death in Canada. This was a culmination of thirteen years advocacy by Young to provide Canadian patients with the same type of warnings that US patients received for years."

"On April 20, 2009, Young placed a Private Member's Motion on the Order Paper of the Parliament of Canada that would create an independent drug agency for Canada similar to the Nuclear Safety Agency or Transportation Safety Board, focussing solely on prescription drug safety. Young also began a cross-Canada tour promoting his motion that took him from Ottawa and Oakville to Winnipeg, Vancouver, St. John's Newfoundland and Iqaluit. Death by Prescription was translated into French for publication by Ecosociete in Quebec in the spring of 2010 by as Mourir sur ordonnance. Death by Prescription is being published in a second edition by Mosaic Press of Oakville Ontario in the spring of 2014 in the US by Bookmasters Inc. of Ashland, Ohio, to be distributed by the largest book distributor in the US, Blake & Taylor. It will also be available in four ebook formats"

Bill C17 passed last month

http://oakvillenews.org/vanessas-law-unanimously-passed-in-house-of-commons/

I have been watching Cpack ya I am up in the night.. and the changes have not yet been implemented it will take some time yet... it is hard to believe we did not already have all these thing... 

Can't believe Drug Safety Canada did not till now have the right to remove a drug from the shelf ... how ridiculous is that!?

I don't want to scare people away by being overly political so I will stop here and wait.... to see what interests you....but really if you don't know about this sort of thing and lets face we did not know about the drugs ... they hurt us... we did not know about the politics around the drugs that hurts us... in order to make changes we first have to become aware... I don't know about you but I want this to stop... 

While I do find chatting on these sites has often been what kept me going support appreciated... I would rather these sites not be needed... 

nuff said 

ps 

this is me on a not a great day... I can be better than this if you don't know me come back I shine then dull down then shine then fall flat... all depends on the day

I am not demanding you get all political when you don't feel well I am not demanding anything at all... as with all things here take what you need a leave the rest your healing comes first...

peace to you

Athena   
Athena

Hello!/Bonjour! :)

I live in Canada and would like to know/take part of Canadian-specific actions!!

Thank you Alto, great idea.

dignan   
dignan
I live near Toronto. I love the city despite despite Camh’s sinister influence. I once went to Camh for an “assessment” and to register for its group CBT. I had been sort of depressed for four months as a result of numerous drug changes. I saw two psychiatrists there. The first one -- some odious junior psychiatrist -- fed me the usual lies and pitched me a bunch of drugs. The second one, more senior and more odious than the first, shrugged his shoulders and told me, “Well, some people just never get remission from their depression.” 

Now, take out the inappropriate use of the medical term remission, and this “mental health" authority is telling me, indirectly, that I may feel indefinitely depressed. To be clear, I had only been feeling sort of depressed for four months and this man knew nothing about my life.

This means, according to a senior psychiatrist at Canada’s premiere "mental health” institution, that if you’ve been depressed for four months, you may be  depressed forever. With that sort of admission, I can only hope that Camh is ready to throw in the towel!

Lately, I just been working through my GP for scripts. I have met a few psychiatrists in Toronto who were allegedly softer on drugging or more compassionate or whatnot, but all of them were lousy. I think I am meeting one more who is apparently more open-minded but I am not getting my hopes up.

Has anyone found a knowledgeable psychiatrist or practitioner in Canada?

btdt   
btdt

I live near Toronto. I love the city despite despite Camh’s sinister influence. I once went to Camh for an “assessment” and to register for its group CBT. I had been sort of depressed for four months as a result of numerous drug changes. I saw two psychiatrists there. The first one -- some odious junior psychiatrist -- fed me the usual lies and pitched me a bunch of drugs. The second one, more senior and more odious than the first, shrugged his shoulders and told me, “Well, some people just never get remission from their depression.” 

Now, take out the inappropriate use of the medical term remission, and this “mental health" authority is telling me, indirectly, that I may feel indefinitely depressed. To be clear, I had only been feeling sort of depressed for four months and this man knew nothing about my life.

This means, according to a senior psychiatrist at Canada’s premiere "mental health” institution, that if you’ve been depressed for four months, you may be  depressed forever. With that sort of admission, I can only hope that Camh is ready to throw in the towel!

Lately, I just been working through my GP for scripts. I have met a few psychiatrists in Toronto who were allegedly softer on drugging or more compassionate or whatnot, but all of them were lousy. I think I am meeting one more who is apparently more open-minded but I am not getting my hopes up.

Has anyone found a knowledgeable psychiatrist or practitioner in Canada?

Sorry no one has answered you with a the name of a great practitioner perhaps some day as more of us come here there will be some answers to such questions.  I don't know much of cam h except what I have seen online and watched on tv... there was a program on last year on TVO about mental health ... I can't say I watched it all as i could not stomach it ... too much drug this drug that talk to suit me.  They have a doctor from Cam H on the show rather often if you look up the site and get a name and a look at what he has to say he may interest you .... I can't recommend him as I did not watch the entire show. 

I know Cam H had addiction programs and I have watched one person go thu that hit and miss have not seen the latests affects but last I seen of the guy who tried their program it was a failure... I ran into him in the neighborhood where I live the day he came home and he showed me his leg ... it looked like worms were moving under the skin apparently a reaction to a drug he took to get off whatever drug he was on.  So at that point it did not look good to me.. I think he was taking opiates for a back injury and got addicted and that is what he was trying to withdraw from using a camh program. 

The only other thing I know of Cam h is the famous Dr Healy story... how he was hired by them and then fired after giving an unfavorable talk about antidepressants ... old story now he has a website plastered all over the place here on SA.... think it is called Risk... if you are interested looking up the name healy and risk on google should find it. 

the firing of healy here.... he also wrote about this in detail in one of his books I read which states his firing was because of the talk he gave... they fired him he sued them and he won... a lot of money from what I recall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Healy_(psychiatrist)

just a bit about him that is Canadian involving Cam h

"Healy has been involved as a legal expert witness in homicide and suicide trials involving psychotropic drugs, and has brought concerns about some drugs to the attention of American and British regulators. He has alleged that pharmaceutical companies sell drugs by marketing diseases and co-opting academic opinion-leaders, sometimes ghostwritingtheir articles. His most recent book, Pharmageddon, claims that pharmaceutical companies have dominated healthcare in America, often with life-threatening results for patients. IN 2000, a lucrative job at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health was withdrawn under unclear circumstances. Healy and his supporters have claimed that this withdrawal was due to Healy giving a speech and publishing a paper claiming that the SSRI antidepressant fluoxetine increases the risk that patients will commit suicide. Lilly was a major contributor to the Centre at the time.[2] A settlement was reached, in which Dr. Healy received a visiting professor appointment, and a joint statement was released stating "Although Dr Healy believes that his clinical appointment was rescinded because of his November, 2000, speech at the CAMH [Centre for Addiction and Mental Health], Dr Healy accepts assurances that pharmaceutical companies played no role in either CAMH's decision to rescind his clinical appointment or the University of Toronto's decision to rescind his academic appointment."[3]"

btdt   
btdt

http://tvo.org/video/177277/can-mental-health-care-be-fixed

related to Ontario both these are Ontario

http://tvo.org/video/209495/treating-ontarios-mental-health

This is a Toronto support service run by users of the system

http://soundtimes.com/sound-times-calendar/

Housing... Ontario...

http://www.mainstayhousing.ca/issue/lana.htm

Just some links to information concerning Ontario some specific to Toronto. 

Scarlett   
Scarlett

I live in Whitehorse, Yukon Canada.  I was hoping to find a few people up here to start a support network but haven't had any luck so far!

btdt   
btdt

I live in Whitehorse, Yukon Canada.  I was hoping to find a few people up here to start a support network but haven't had any luck so far!

I don't know of any services in the North.  I did here of this...

http://psychrights.org/states/alaska/alaska.htm

from a book I read and i am completely ignorant of geography ... 

that like likely proves it.   I did give it a shot tho. :) 

Welcome fellow Canadian. 

btdt   
btdt

When I was looking up the last link I found this other site called mind freedom... I don't know a thing about it..but they have some advocates in Canada listed here

Canada (grouped by Province alphabetically)

Vicki Fox Smith ** ALBERTA ** CANADA **alberta(at)mindfreedom(dot)org**affiliate level 1

Bryhre Cormack ** NELSON ** BRITISH COLUMBIA ** CANADA** https://www.facebook.com/MindFreedomNelson ** nelsonbc(at)mindfreedom(dot)org ** affiliate level 1

Adrianne Fitch, Executive Director/Co-Coordinator, WEST COAST MENTAL HEALTH NETWORK SOCIETY ** VANCOUVER ** BRITISH COLUMBIA ** CANADA ** http://wcmhn.org ** office (at) wcmhn (dot) org  ** sponsor

Preventative Whole Health Network Collective ** VANCOUVER ** BRITISH COLUMBIA ** CANADA ** sponsor

Gölök Zoltán Buday ** VANCOUVER ** BRITISH COLUMBIA ** CANADA ** info(at)mindfreedomvanbc(dot)com ** affiliate level 1

Francesca Allan **VICTORIA ** BRITISH COLUMBIA ** CANADA **victoria(at)mindfreedom(dot)org**affiliate level 1

Kathy TAPLEY-MILTON ** SACKVILLE ** NEW BRUNSWICK ** CANADA ** katapley(at)hotmail(dot)com ** affiliate level 1

INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO BAN ELECTROSHOCK ** OTTAWA ** ONTARIO ** CANADA ** http://intcamp.wordpress.com/**2005.sueclark(at)gmail(dot)com ** sponsor

Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault ** TORONTO ** ONTARIO ** CANADA ** http://capa.oise.utoronto.ca/ ** sponsor

MindFreedom Toronto ** TORONTO ** ONTARIO ** CANADA ** toronto(at)mindfreedom(dot)org ** affiliate level 1 

THE FRIENDLY SPIKE THEATRE BAND ** TORONTO ** ONTARIO ** CANADA ** http://www.friendlyspike.ca/ ** sponsor

LES GROUPES RIGIONAUX DE DEFENSE DES DROITS EN SANTE MENTALE ** ROUYN-NORANDA ** QUEBEC ** CANADA **http://www.lino.com/~raiddat ** raiddat(at)cablevision.qc(dot)ca ** sponsor

http://www.mindfreedom.org/member-folder/as/mfi-sponsor-affiliate-public-list

You can read about it at the link I am all in today and must rest but I will post a thread to see what other know of this...if anything. 

peace all

MapleleafGirl   
MapleleafGirl

I live in Vancouver Canada:)

btdt   
btdt

I live in Vancouver Canada:)

Hi I think I remember you from pp... long ago. 

welcome

Paxilgirl   
Paxilgirl

I am Canadian, although not willing to divulge where....if that's OK!  Not to comfortable yet!

btdt   
btdt

I am Canadian, although not willing to divulge where....if that's OK!  Not to comfortable yet!

Really all those years on pp I did not know you lived here how very odd it feels I had this idea you were very removed from here for some reason.. I can't name. I am surprised I don't recall one reference to Canada from you in all the time I read pp... I read until it closed even tho I was banned. Welcome.

caperjackie   
caperjackie

I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia .......... (originally a Brit though).

Whoopsie   
Whoopsie

I'm in Alberta.  If anyone is in the same province please feel free to PM me to connect.

btdt   
btdt

Hello and welcome to the new Canadians :) 

wishing you all peace

Athena   
Athena

Hi all Canadians!

Anyone in Québec?

btdt   
btdt

I watched a Canadian tv show today and posted about it here along with some other Canadian ideas like Bell's Lets Talk and did you know Canada is the 3rd highest in AD use in the world.. I just learned that. 

This may interest us more than any others you can find it here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8029-show-today-stated-chemical-imbalance-much-like-diabetes-is-this-2015/

btdt   
btdt

Toronto!

Hello NVbar welcome.

Canadiangirl   
Canadiangirl

I am from Canada..actually Essex which is about 30 minutes from the US and Canada border

Chemistry   
Chemistry

I'm from the maritimes. Caperjackie and I have met face to face before actually and it was a really really great experience. 

degen12   
degen12

<

The mention of CAMH makes me want to puke.

btdt   
btdt

<

The mention of CAMH makes me want to puke.

I am sorry things are this way. 

To think they could  have had Healy working there as the boss... I wonder what that would have been like.  We will never know but it does make me wonder. 

I hope things get better for you soon. 

peace

imac   
imac

I'm from Canada as well. Just outside of Toronto!

MikeThealien   
MikeThealien

Hello, My name is Mike and I am a 28 year old Man from Vancouver, Canada.  I am new to this site and I will be working on my profile and history soon.  I was on Escitalopram and Ativan for around 5 years.  I am now 3.5 years off of these drugs.  It has been a long road, and I still have lingering issues, but I have healed quite a bit so far. 

Looking forward to making new friends,

Mike

imac   
imac

Hello, My name is Mike and I am a 28 year old Man from Vancouver, Canada. I am new to this site and I will be working on my profile and history soon. I was on Escitalopram and Ativan for around 5 years. I am now 3.5 years off of these drugs. It has been a long road, and I still have lingering issues, but I have healed quite a bit so far.

Looking forward to making new friends,

Mike

Hi Mike. I am 3.5 years off as well. I finally turned a good corner at 3 years off hit still have residual stuff and recurring waves. Just not as bad anymore.

caperjackie   
caperjackie

Hi Mike and welcome. Ditto to both you and Imac but off a bit longer at almost 4 years ..........