Altostrata

Canada members, please check in here

btdt   
btdt

Bit of old Canadian pharma news.... I know I am surprised there is some too...

http://thetyee.ca/News/2012/09/08/BC-Pharma-Research/

Research Stopped by Ministry Might Have Cut Big Pharma Profits

Fired or suspended employees were tied to projects designed to save public money.

By Andrew MacLeod, 8 Sep 2012, TheTyee.ca

The B.C. Ministry of Health's decision to suspend drug research projects in response to allegations of improprieties has produced a side effect: the research halted may have been contrary to the interests of large drug companies.

On Sept. 5, newly appointed Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid announced the RCMP had been asked to investigate allegations that had already led to the termination of four ministry employees and the suspension of three others. Those allegations haven't been made specific to the public, beyond that they have to do with potential conflicts of interest, contracting and responsible data management.

"I'm profoundly disappointed to be in this position talking to you about this issue," MacDiarmid said. "It's disturbing to me and it will be disturbing to anyone who hears about it. A very concerning set of circumstances."

There is much more at the links and I think some of the comments may be more fun to read then the story which I have not finished reading as I am late and out of time... wanted to get the link here for my Canadian fellow sufferers... 

I came to this link via another link... as usually occurs 

was linked in this article

Drug companies dominate BC health ministry stakeholders list By ANDREW MACLEOD Published October 22, 2012 10:11 am | 7 Comments Share article via email Print this article The invitation from deputy health minister Graham Whitmarsh to a November stakeholder session went to a long list dominated by drug companies. "The session provides an opportunity to learn about ongoing priorities within the Ministry of Health, as well as pose questions to myself and other Health Ministry Executives," says the emailed invitation to the Nov. 21 meeting at the Pan Pacific Hotel in downtown Vancouver. About three quarters of the invitees are representatives of drug companies, with the remainder at patient groups, chain drug stores, universities, health authorities and lobbying companies. "It's got every pharmaceutical company under the sun there," said University of Victoria health researcher Alan Cassels. "Everything else related to pharmacare seems to be on hold," he said, referring to a September announcement of suspensions and terminations in the health ministry related to contracting and data management that led to the cancellation of at least some research contracts. "Why is this not on hold?" Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid said there are ongoing discussions with stakeholders and she believed the meeting would be focussed on changes the B.C. government made to drug legislation in the spring that included reducing what the province will pay for generic drugs. It is the fifth such annual meeting held since the government's drug-industry dominated pharmaceutical task force convened in 2007. It will include a keynote address from Lynne Maher, the innovation and design director for the United Kingdom's National Health Service Institute for Innovation and Improvement. The invitation said priority will be given to invited guests. A list of those invitees was included with Whitmarsh's email. - See more at: http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2012/10/22/DrugMeet/#sthash.JjzjigLO.dpuf

Drug companies dominate BC health ministry stakeholders list
By ANDREW MACLEOD
Published October 22, 2012 10:11 am |  7 Comments
share-via-email.png print-this-story.png 

The invitation from deputy health minister Graham Whitmarsh to a November stakeholder session went to a long list dominated by drug companies.

"The session provides an opportunity to learn about ongoing priorities within the Ministry of Health, as well as pose questions to myself and other Health Ministry Executives," says the emailed invitation to the Nov. 21 meeting at the Pan Pacific Hotel in downtown Vancouver.

About three quarters of the invitees are representatives of drug companies, with the remainder at patient groups, chain drug stores, universities, health authorities and lobbying companies.

"It's got every pharmaceutical company under the sun there," said University of Victoria health researcher Alan Cassels.

"Everything else related to pharmacare seems to be on hold," he said, referring to a September announcement of suspensions and terminations in the health ministry related to contracting and data management that led to the cancellation of at least some research contracts. "Why is this not on hold?"

Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid said there are ongoing discussions with stakeholders and she believed the meeting would be focussed on changes the B.C. government made to drug legislation in the spring that included reducing what the province will pay for generic drugs.

It is the fifth such annual meeting held since the government's drug-industry dominated pharmaceutical task force convened in 2007. It will include a keynote address from Lynne Maher, the innovation and design director for the United Kingdom's National Health Service Institute for Innovation and Improvement.

The invitation said priority will be given to invited guests. A list of those invitees was included with Whitmarsh's email.

- See more at: http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2012/10/22/DrugMeet/#sthash.JjzjigLO.dpuf

Drug companies dominate BC health ministry stakeholders list By ANDREW MACLEOD Published October 22, 2012 10:11 am | 7 Comments Share article via email Print this article The invitation from deputy health minister Graham Whitmarsh to a November stakeholder session went to a long list dominated by drug companies. "The session provides an opportunity to learn about ongoing priorities within the Ministry of Health, as well as pose questions to myself and other Health Ministry Executives," says the emailed invitation to the Nov. 21 meeting at the Pan Pacific Hotel in downtown Vancouver. About three quarters of the invitees are representatives of drug companies, with the remainder at patient groups, chain drug stores, universities, health authorities and lobbying companies. "It's got every pharmaceutical company under the sun there," said University of Victoria health researcher Alan Cassels. "Everything else related to pharmacare seems to be on hold," he said, referring to a September announcement of suspensions and terminations in the health ministry related to contracting and data management that led to the cancellation of at least some research contracts. "Why is this not on hold?" Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid said there are ongoing discussions with stakeholders and she believed the meeting would be focussed on changes the B.C. government made to drug legislation in the spring that included reducing what the province will pay for generic drugs. It is the fifth such annual meeting held since the government's drug-industry dominated pharmaceutical task force convened in 2007. It will include a keynote address from Lynne Maher, the innovation and design director for the United Kingdom's National Health Service Institute for Innovation and Improvement. The invitation said priority will be given to invited guests. A list of those invitees was included with Whitmarsh's email. 

Drug companies dominate BC health ministry stakeholders list By ANDREW MACLEOD Published October 22, 2012 10:11 am | 7 Comments Share article via email Print this article The invitation from deputy health minister Graham Whitmarsh to a November stakeholder session went to a long list dominated by drug companies. "The session provides an opportunity to learn about ongoing priorities within the Ministry of Health, as well as pose questions to myself and other Health Ministry Executives," says the emailed invitation to the Nov. 21 meeting at the Pan Pacific Hotel in downtown Vancouver. About three quarters of the invitees are representatives of drug companies, with the remainder at patient groups, chain drug stores, universities, health authorities and lobbying companies. "It's got every pharmaceutical company under the sun there," said University of Victoria health researcher Alan Cassels. "Everything else related to pharmacare seems to be on hold," he said, referring to a September announcement of suspensions and terminations in the health ministry related to contracting and data management that led to the cancellation of at least some research contracts. "Why is this not on hold?" Health Minister Margaret MacDiarmid said there are ongoing discussions with stakeholders and she believed the meeting would be focussed on changes the B.C. government made to drug legislation in the spring that included reducing what the province will pay for generic drugs. It is the fifth such annual meeting held since the government's drug-industry dominated pharmaceutical task force convened in 2007. It will include a keynote address from Lynne Maher, the innovation and design director for the United Kingdom's National Health Service Institute for Innovation and Improvement. The invitation said priority will be given to invited guests. A list of those invitees was included with Whitmarsh's email. -

See more at:

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/BC-Politics/2012/10/22/DrugMeet/#sthash.JjzjigLO.dpuf

btdt   
btdt

The government has also suspended without pay Bob Hart, the director of data access, research and stewardship, Malcolm Maclure, a researcher with ties to UBC and UVic, and Rebecca Warburton, a co-director of research and evidence development in the pharmaceutical services division.

None of the people contacted agreed to be interviewed for this story, in some cases citing legal advice not to speak about it with anyone while they prepare wrongful dismissal suits against the government. One said the firing appeared to be political in nature, but declined to provide details.

The people affected had been involved in various research projects over the years that were aimed at saving the public money on drugs, work that had the flip side of cutting into drug company profits.

Mattson and Maclure, for example, were involved in the Alzheimer's Drug Therapy Initiative, project whose tasks included gathering the evidence on drugs used to treat the disease and making recommendations to the ministry on whether or not it should pay for them. A recommendation against using the drugs could be very expensive for the companies that make them.

Another project that takes physicians' prescribing patterns and compares them to what the evidence says are the best practices expired on Aug. 31. The project, aimed at both reducing unsafe prescribing and saving the government money, had assessed several drugs already and researchers planned to look at several more.

There were questions too about how the investigation may affect the Therapeutics Initiative, a UBC body that holds contracts to assess drugs for the government, and whose future was in question starting in 2008 when a government report recommended replacing it. Already the group's access to data has been cut off, along with that of other researchers.

The B.C. Government Employees' Union has reportedly said it is working on grievances on behalf of its three members who were fired.

If you would rather not have this sort of thing here ... I will stop and put it in news... let me know.

peace

akakoom   
akakoom

London Ontario Canada here!

Paxilgirl   
Paxilgirl

I am Canadian, although not willing to divulge where....if that's OK!  Not to comfortable yet!

Really all those years on pp I did not know you lived here how very odd it feels I had this idea you were very removed from here for some reason.. I can't name. I am surprised I don't recall one reference to Canada from you in all the time I read pp... I read until it closed even tho I was banned. Welcome.

Thank you.  If I remember on PP, below my Avatar, it did say my location was Canada....regardless, I guess my being Canadian wasn't the priority, but that of seeking support and in later years, giving it.  I'm still hoping and praying that the site will be put up as read only, but alas...

btdt   
btdt

I am Canadian, although not willing to divulge where....if that's OK!  Not to comfortable yet!

Really all those years on pp I did not know you lived here how very odd it feels I had this idea you were very removed from here for some reason.. I can't name. I am surprised I don't recall one reference to Canada from you in all the time I read pp... I read until it closed even tho I was banned. Welcome.

Thank you.  If I remember on PP, below my Avatar, it did say my location was Canada....regardless, I guess my being Canadian wasn't the priority, but that of seeking support and in later years, giving it.  I'm still hoping and praying that the site will be put up as read only, but alas...

It could be I don't remember as your right I was not there seeking Canadians either it was not the priority.  Have you found anything Canadian specific in your travels in relation to this... anything that differs from the global experience?  I am just curious I am not sure I have unless it is that we can see doctors as much as we need to without it costing us money at the time... we do pay for sure but in a different way. 

Do you have any thoughts on the purposed gov't paid for meds?  I am thinking even more people will take Ads and other drugs that are advertised on tv... 

One thought about advertising I wonder if it applies to drugs: 

If it is advertised on tv ..... you don't need it... 

this is in respect to food to start with as we never see things like fruits advertised come get your bananas new and improved ect... we see things like cheeze wiz advertised... ketchup ect. 

I wonder if it holds true for drugs. 

I have never seen an advertisement for insulin. 

New and improved insulin come get your insulin people need it and they don't need any urging to go buy it.  There are all those other drugs for lifestyle issues... don't change your diet take a cholesterol lowering drug and eat fries. Take this drug for erectile dysfunction... that one is close to home... gets a bit muddy given my situation but I don't believe a drug will fix it even if it was a drug that broke it... and I may be wrong but I can't chance what another drug would do to me... so I suck it up. 

Ah life it is so very strange. 

btdt   
btdt

Pharma Watch Canada

https://pharmawatchcanada.wordpress.com/page/2/

Who knew?  

I found out about it here:

https://openparliament.ca/debates/2014/5/27/libby-davies-1/

"Some of the key groups included the Canadian Treatment Action Council, PharmaWatch, which I believe the member is aware of, the Best Medicines Coalition, the Canadian Nurses Association, the Canadian Medical Association, and the provinces and territories."

"Terence Young Oakville, ON

Mr. Speaker, I thank the member opposite for her speech.

One of the reasons that Vanessa's law did not come to the House sooner is the wide consultations"  

He brought it up... Terence is the father of Vanessa who the law is named after ...same from the book Death by Prescription also known as Bill C-17....you can read about it at the link containing Libby's name sadly Libby is retiring. 

btdt   
btdt

update Bill C-17

this is from bad science ... not sure how good they are

“Vanessa’s Law” Bill C-17
HOME / PROJECTS / “VANESSA’S LAW” BILL C-17

Update 2

The Standing Committee on Health has sent Vanessa’s Law to third reading with the exemption for natural health products left untouched. Happily, though, amendments were added to require disclosure of clinical trials and open opportunities for greater transparency!

Despite bringing a lot of attention to NHPs in the hearings, of which there were only two for the public, ultimately the ministers failed to find the courage to do what is best for Canadians and opted to avoid opposition to the bill by giving in to the NHP lobby.

Bill C-17 can’t be amended further at this stage, but there is still work to be done once the bill passes and public consultations begin on the details of its implementation.

Update 1

As of June 9, 2014, it is obvious that our efforts are starting to have an impact.  The bill went to committee on June 5th, and after strong statements from the Liberal and NDP members on the committee, it was clear that our message of concern over the exclusion of Natural Health Products from the bill as well as the need to disclose clinical trials has been met with strong support from some.

Details of that first committee day that saw the faltering of Minister of Health Rona Ambrose and her witnesses can be found in our email update from June 6th 2014.

Brief to the Standing Committee on Health on Bill C-17

Our brief is available to download in both English and French versions:

Brief to HOC HESA on Bill C-17

Présentation d’un Document au CDC HESA sur Projet de Loi C-17

Background

At the end of 2013, the Harper Government introduced Bill C-17, “An Act To Amend the Food and Drug Act” dubbing it the “Protecting Canadians from Unsafe Drugs Act”. The bill was also called “Vanessa’s Law” after the daughter of Oakville, Ontario M.P., Terence Young. Mr. Young lost his daughter due to a fatal drug reaction in 2000, and this bill is meant to bring the Canadian Food and Drug act up to international standards in order to improve patient safety. Among others, the bill introduces the following amendments to the Food and Drug Act:

• Mandatory recall powers
  • Increasing maximum fines from to $5,000,000 from the current $5,000
  • Powers to compel companies to do post-market research
  • Make adverse events reporting mandatory for health care facilities like hospitals

All of these powers are a welcome update to the Act, however there is one very worrisome caveat: natural health products are specifically excluded from this update. According to the bill, in section (3) paragraph 1, a therapeutic product is defined as:

“a drug or device or any combination of drugs and devices, but does not include a natural health product within the meaning of the Natural Health Products Regulations;”

If C-17 is passed with this definition, the Minister has the power to recall a tainted drug, but not, for example, a heavy-metal laden herbal preparation. It will be mandatory to report adverse reactions from “medical devices” like band-aids, but not for pseudoephedrine decongestants like 12-hour Sudafed, which is an NHP. We think this is a serious oversight. As the same time, this is an excellent opportunity to have language introduced into the Food and Drug Act that would establish a comprehensive “all trials” database that would force pharmaceutical companies to disclose all clinical trial data for an approved drug. Bad Science Watch is a signatory to the All Trials campaign petition in support of the establishment of registries like this across the globe.

Project Goals
  1. To have Bill C-17’s patient safety measures apply equally to all health care products.
  2. To have language included that would establish an “all trials” registry in Canada for clinical trial data.
Project Committee Jamie Williams (Project Leader)

Jamie is a Software Developer in Vancouver, BC. Since he moved to Canada in 2007 he has been heavily involved in a number of science advocacy organizations and is an experienced organizer and volunteer manager. Jamie’s work for Bad Science Watch is motivated by a desire to improve the lives of his family, friends, and community through better policy and regulation in the areas of health and the environment. He aims to see Bad Science Watch set new standards of professionalism and effectiveness for activism countering bad science.

Anne Paling B.Sc. (Assistant Project Leader)

Anne is an environmental technologist based out of Vancouver. She holds a Bachelor of Science with a specialization in Environmental Science from University of Ottawa. She came to Bad Science Watch because of her dedication to evidence based decision making and love of helping the general public better understand science.

Kristen Simkus, B.Sc. MPH

Kristen is an epidemiologist and independent public health researcher based out of Ottawa, Ontario with a passion for evidence-based policy and sound science advocacy. She holds a Bachelor’s of Science with Specialization in Immunology and Infection from the University of Alberta, a Master’s of Public Health from the University of Manchester, and brings to Bad Science Watch 6 years of work experience in government, public health, health promotion, epidemiology, and surveillance. Although she specializes in literature reviews, immunization research and infectious disease, Kristen finds nothing more fulfilling than collaborating with experts to explore creative and effective ways to improve and protect health.

Michael Vesker M.Sc.

Michael studied biochemistry and biology for his bachelor’s and master’s degrees, both at York University in Toronto, Canada. His graduate specialization in vision research led him to his current pursuit of a doctorate in developmental child psychology at the Justus-Liebig University in Giessen, Germany.

More here if your into it... 

https://openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-17/

btdt   
btdt

https://pharmawatchcanada.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/its-not-a-conspiracy-theory-its-a-business-plan-industry-wants-our-medical-information-and-government-wants-to-hand-it-over/

It’s Not a Conspiracy Theory; It’s a Business Plan – Industry Wants Our Medical Information and Government Wants to Hand it Over

Critics of “e-health” are constantly harangued by two charges — that we are, one: “anti-technology”; and two, conspiracy theorists. Just briefly regarding the first charge, critics of e-health do not require that medical records be confined to either stone tablets or papyrus. If e-health was merely about records being electronic rather than paper-based, there would be no critics. The problem is not computers, but data warehousing and access control.

E-health, as it is rolling out in Canada, has patients’ information aggregated into vast electronic repositories controlled not by health care providers subject to patient consent, but by government. As the Canadian Medical Association recently admitted, because health care providers do not control access, they cannot guarantee medical confidentiality for any patient data that flows in an electronic health record.

While few people are sanguine about the wholesale undermining of medical confidentiality, there remain many people who are convinced that the pros will nevertheless outweigh the cons. Granted, some of this confidence is eroding as the media begins to report on research that is countering the fantastic projections of e-health’s promised benefits and cost-savings. A typical stance at this juncture is that the benefits may have been oversold, but the government must at least believe that patient outcomes will be improved or why are we investing billions of dollars to amass everyone’s health information?
For many years GeneWatch in the UK has been giving people a simple, compelling and well-researched answer to that question: to sell the data to industry.

The straightforward business plan for the UK’s e-health program involves linking all patient records with a national DNA database to allow Britain to take the lead in commercializing the human genome and using the vast repository of patients’ medical information for genetic and medical research which would be achieved by the government giving patient data to industry. As Ana Nicholls of the Economist Intelligence Unit stated, the race is on to make patients’ DNA available to researchers and, because the measures in the UK to link patients’ DNA data to their medical records for research are controversial, government will “have to sell the medical and economic benefits hard to some patients.”

Is the commercialization of patients’ medical information a driver in Canada’s e-health development?

Here is Colin Hansen, British Columbia MLA, in a special editorial in the Vancouver Sun on March 14, 2012 entitled “Unlocking our data to save lives”:

In British Columbia we are over-looking a vault of public treasure… It’s one of the best collections of health data anywhere in the world.

British Columbia is already known globally for leading-edge health research. The research community adds hundreds of millions of dollar to our economy. But we limit researchers’ access to this data, because of concerns about protecting privacy that provincial regulation now makes moot.
It’s time we proactively opened this BC advantage to health researchers and research funders locally, nationally and internationally.

It looks like the sell is on.

As Ross Andersen, security research expert at the University of Cambridge says: “There’s a huge row brewing over the new [u.K’s] government’s plans to centralize medical records; the cover story is giving us access to our records online while the real agenda is to give access to drug company researchers.”

If Canadians don’t like this vision, we’d better get our own huge row brewing.

About the Contributor

Micheal Vonn is the Policy Director of the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, a Board Member of the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network and an Advisory Board Member of Privacy International.

Faithbarelysurviving   
Faithbarelysurviving

Hello, I am from On, Canada, near Toronto.

God bless you all

Faith

LeslieBarns   
LeslieBarns

Hi, I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada -

I think the idea of closer links with Canadians here is a good idea - this city has a ton of "Brain" scientists and institutes with national and international reputations, but after 3 years of being in their clutches, I'm not impressed with the level of knowledge or treatment  that practitioners offer  their patients regarding benzodiazepines and antidepressants. (among other drugs), and chronic diseases.  

without websites like this one, I'd be a goner.   I'd like to follow the topic but don't know which thingee on the top right to click on, so I'll click on everything up there.

Thanks so much for your work, Alto.

btdt   
btdt

Hello, I am from On, Canada, near Toronto.

God bless you all

Faith

Welcome Faith I did try to read some of your posts but seems I am not so hot just now I will catch up with you later. Adding a signature helps other know where you at.. so to speak bit dicey to talk with out it since we are all here for the same reason but some drugs are so different I would not have a clue what to say about some psych drugs... while others I own just as they owned me... meaning I think I know a lot about them now... hope that is not too messed up to understand.  

Peace

btdt   
btdt

Hi, I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada -

I think the idea of closer links with Canadians here is a good idea - this city has a ton of "Brain" scientists and institutes with national and international reputations, but after 3 years of being in their clutches, I'm not impressed with the level of knowledge or treatment  that practitioners offer  their patients regarding benzodiazepines and antidepressants. (among other drugs), and chronic diseases.  

without websites like this one, I'd be a goner.   I'd like to follow the topic but don't know which thingee on the top right to click on, so I'll click on everything up there.

Thanks so much for your work, Alto.

Welcome Leslie I hope to catch up with you too very soon... I am just have a difficult day but hope to be back here when I feel more clear headed 

Threads... this I am writing in now is called a thread... all threads that you participate  in will show at the top right if you click you name a drop down list will show... clicking my content will show the threads are part of..

peace

Faithbarelysurviving   
Faithbarelysurviving

My signature for now is the link bellow my posting. Just click the link please

God bless us all

Faith

LeslieBarns   
LeslieBarns

Does anybody in the area near Toronto know of a family doctor and/or neurologist or that is supportive and helpful in  a PD patient tapering off SSRI's and benzodiazepines?  Mine are definitely part of the problem, not part of the 'cure' - since they put me on the drugs for different reasons (the citalopram was to help me withdraw from clonazepam, they didn't tell me it is nearly impossible to get off), and now they say I need them for my mental health. I am in a Catch 22.

thanks, LB

btdt   
btdt

Does anybody in the area near Toronto know of a family doctor and/or neurologist or that is supportive and helpful in  a PD patient tapering off SSRI's and benzodiazepines?  Mine are definitely part of the problem, not part of the 'cure' - since they put me on the drugs for different reasons (the citalopram was to help me withdraw from clonazepam, they didn't tell me it is nearly impossible to get off), and now they say I need them for my mental health. I am in a Catch 22.

thanks, LB

I am sorry no there is not one doctor I know of in all of Canada that knows how to taper a person off of drugs properly ... that does not mean they are not out there I just don' t know of any.  If we ever find one he will be worked to death with long long lineups... but that is about how it is for all doctors here due to the short supply or what other political issues keep it this way.  I wish I could tell you a name but I don't know any and there are none listed in the doctor section here.  

If you happen to find one please post his name.

peace

gentlygo   
gentlygo

Hi, I am in Toronto, Canada. I am starting my journey again, coming off. If there is anyone else in the city that would like to meet for mutual support, I am happy to meet anywhere central on the subway line.

btdt   
btdt

The government has also suspended without pay Bob Hart, the director of data access, research and stewardship, Malcolm Maclure, a researcher with ties to UBC and UVic, and Rebecca Warburton, a co-director of research and evidence development in the pharmaceutical services division.

None of the people contacted agreed to be interviewed for this story, in some cases citing legal advice not to speak about it with anyone while they prepare wrongful dismissal suits against the government. One said the firing appeared to be political in nature, but declined to provide details.

The people affected had been involved in various research projects over the years that were aimed at saving the public money on drugs, work that had the flip side of cutting into drug company profits.

Mattson and Maclure, for example, were involved in the Alzheimer's Drug Therapy Initiative, project whose tasks included gathering the evidence on drugs used to treat the disease and making recommendations to the ministry on whether or not it should pay for them. A recommendation against using the drugs could be very expensive for the companies that make them.

Another project that takes physicians' prescribing patterns and compares them to what the evidence says are the best practices expired on Aug. 31. The project, aimed at both reducing unsafe prescribing and saving the government money, had assessed several drugs already and researchers planned to look at several more.

There were questions too about how the investigation may affect the Therapeutics Initiative, a UBC body that holds contracts to assess drugs for the government, and whose future was in question starting in 2008 when a government report recommended replacing it. Already the group's access to data has been cut off, along with that of other researchers.

The B.C. Government Employees' Union has reportedly said it is working on grievances on behalf of its three members who were fired.

If you would rather not have this sort of thing here ... I will stop and put it in news... let me know.

peace

Warburton is suing the province and MacDiarmid for defamation, breach of contract and interference with contract, and alleges that the B.C. Liberal Party, as a recipient of “significant contributions from drug companies,” was trying to curtail research by revoking his access to Health Ministry data.

The government has denied the allegations.

The three remaining employees who were fired — senior researcher David Scott, senior economist Ramsay Hamdi, and UVic co-op student Roderick MacIsaac — launched grievances through the B.C. Government Employees Union.

The union won’t say how their grievances were resolved but Hamdi has a contract with UVic to analyze the Health Ministry data for the Alzheimer study once it’s received.

MacIsaac, 46, committed suicide in January 2013. He was distraught over the investigation, according to his brother-in-law.

After the last provincial election, MacDiarmid’s deputy minister Graham Whitmarsh was terminated with $250,000 severance. He is replaced by deputy minister Stephen Brown.

B.C. Opposition health critic Judy Darcy has said the settlements raise many question, including whether the government’s faulty investigation was conducted in bad faith.

The Health Ministry says the cost of the investigation to date is almost $3.4 million, including legal costs.

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Government+admits+mistake+settles+with+third+fired+Health+Ministry+employee+updated/10148667/story.html

Pandora   
Pandora

Checking in from Ontario, near Toronto.  

Good healing vibes to all of you. 

btdt   
btdt

Good healing vibes to you too Pandora fellow Canadian :)

btdt   
btdt

http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/651-can-5-htp-lift-your-spirits

Thiamine Helps Maintain Serotonin Levels
Thiamine is a B-vitamin (B1) that plays many important roles in the body. One of these is to help regulate serotonin levels in the brain. Indeed, thiamine deficiency may significantly impair serotonergic (serotonin-mediated) signaling processes. For example, animal studies suggest that replenishing thiamine in deficient animals reinstates normal serotonin function. 

It is not surprising, therefore, that thiamine supplementation has a positive impact on mood in both young and elderly human patients. In one study, healthy elderly women with a marginal thiamine deficiency were monitored for a ten-week period. Following supplementation with thiamine (10 mg/day), the women exhibited improvement in general well-being and decreased fatigue, compared with control subjects.5 

Another study involved 120 younger women who did not exhibit any thiamine deficiency.6 Half of them received thiamine (50 mg/day), and half received a placebo. After two months of supplementation, the women in the thiamine group significantly improved their performance on both cognitive and psychological tests that measured mood. These results suggest that thiamine has a beneficial effect on mood even when women are not thiamine-deficient. 

shim.gif 
As we have seen, several natural agents may help with depression. Two such arethiamine and hyperforin from St. John's wort. Needless to say, 5-HTP and also judicious amounts of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and niacin are believed to nourish neurons properly and support normal serotonergic function.

B6 on a previous try made me very depressed... react badly to Vit D and Magnesium 

Maybe if thiamine gets to be ok I can some of these without reactions.. we will see

LeslieBarns   
LeslieBarns

I've been busy and feeling awful the last few days, so haven't kept up here.  I've been busy reading about Drug-induced Parkinsonism (DIP), and guess what are leading candidates - antidepressants!   Since I already have a strange Parkinsonism, and since even Celexa's manufacturer's product monograph lists several Parkinsonian adverse effects on 'post marketing' information for Cetalopram, why, OH Why, did my Movement Disorder Specialist Neurologist prescribe this for me - not for depression, but to help me wean off Clonazepam?   Don't these people ever read? Oh, yeah, then she switched me off Clonazepam and replaced it with Lorazepam, which is much better tolerated, but left me on the Citalopram.  So, my tapering off Citalopram includes making my Parkinsonism much, much worse.  Sigh.....

There is a very good site in the US, Public Citizen, which I think grew out of Ralph Nader's group.  They have  a health research group that puts out 'Worst Pills' 'Best pills' information. They list 49 drugs that can cause drug-induced parkinsonism. In the UK there is also an information sheet on DIP published by their Parkinson's Society, and  I found several research journal articles on the subject.  Nothing from dear old Canada though.

Pandora   
Pandora

Good healing vibes to you too Pandora fellow Canadian :)

Thanks for the welcome, btdt.  I like your signature quote about the light getting in.

Hope you've found some of that, after your long and arduous journey. 

btdt   
btdt

Yes Pandora there has been light thank the heavens... the phase is from a song by Leonard Cohen called Anthem  if you have never heard it give it a listen and I hope you like it 

peace

jemmunro   
jemmunro

I live near Strathroy, Ontario (halfway between London & Sarnia).  I wish there were a support group for this area. 

Pandora   
Pandora

Welcome jemmunro.  Me too, somewhere near Guelph.  

Pandora   
Pandora

Yes Pandora there has been light thank the heavens... the phase is from a song by Leonard Cohen called Anthem  if you have never heard it give it a listen and I hope you like it 

peace

I did listen and thanks, it was great - I mean, the lyrics are beautiful.  I think Leonard Cohen is an incredibly talented writer...., his voice, well....I think Jennifer Warnes should sing all his songs :)

btdt   
btdt

I've been busy and feeling awful the last few days, so haven't kept up here.  I've been busy reading about Drug-induced Parkinsonism (DIP), and guess what are leading candidates - antidepressants!   Since I already have a strange Parkinsonism, and since even Celexa's manufacturer's product monograph lists several Parkinsonian adverse effects on 'post marketing' information for Cetalopram, why, OH Why, did my Movement Disorder Specialist Neurologist prescribe this for me - not for depression, but to help me wean off Clonazepam?   Don't these people ever read? Oh, yeah, then she switched me off Clonazepam and replaced it with Lorazepam, which is much better tolerated, but left me on the Citalopram.  So, my tapering off Citalopram includes making my Parkinsonism much, much worse.  Sigh.....

There is a very good site in the US, Public Citizen, which I think grew out of Ralph Nader's group.  They have  a health research group that puts out 'Worst Pills' 'Best pills' information. They list 49 drugs that can cause drug-induced parkinsonism. In the UK there is also an information sheet on DIP published by their Parkinson's Society, and  I found several research journal articles on the subject.  Nothing from dear old Canada though.

It is hard to know when to call out a doctor on things and when to just move on when it comes to specialists in Canada due to the long waiting lists... harder call.  You could print what you have learned take it in and discuss his choices of drug if you like.. I am not advising it...I am not advising anything.  I have been in positions like this with doctors it sometimes it seems no matter what you do you can't win.  

I like the public citizen site too it is also best drugs worst drugs I think. 

Good luck with your doctor. 

peace

btdt   
btdt

peace

I did listen and thanks, it was great - I mean, the lyrics are beautiful.  I think Leonard Cohen is an incredibly talented writer...., his voice, well....I think Jennifer Warnes should sing all his songs :)

He has grown on me in part because the songs came from his heart I now always want to hear his songs done by him.  That does not mean I don't listen to his song by other artists KD Lang and Hellaluya I can't spell right now brain vacation again... sorry. I do listen to other artists sing his songs then right after I have go and hear him sing the same song ... it is a quirk of mine.  I know it is odd yet I do it over and over again. 

I come from a family of musical people the gift skipped me writers and singers... there is a certain purity when the author sings his own songs.... for some reason post drug use... I am always seeking some base line of authenticity or truth.  

btdt   
btdt

I think you two are kind of close if you can travel maybe this is the start of something.  I am not good at travel at all... absolutely stresses me out I tend to get lost lately. I am not exactly sure how far apart you are but it seems close in my mind... tho I could be wrong .. I underestimate distance even tho I live here.   

People who don't live in Canada under estimate the distances we travel in this country if you not in a major city things are very far apart.  We had a co op from England staying with us once who looked at a map and thought he would walk home... :) big mistake. 

btdt   
btdt

I live near Strathroy, Ontario (halfway between London & Sarnia).  I wish there were a support group for this area. 

Welcome jemmunro.  Me too, somewhere near Guelph.  

Guess I did that wrong sorry... join this with the last one in your minds

Pandora   
Pandora

Thanks, btdt. Joined.

The driving distance between us is about 2 hours. Maybe a bit less. 

I know what you mean about distance perception. When I used to live in rural areas, people often described a 10-km drive somewhere as "just around the corner".

Goodname   
Goodname

Hi, I am new as of yesterday and already finding this soooo helpful to know what's going on with me and that I'm not alone.  I already feel a lot better.  I even smiled a couple of times yesterday!  I am in the Vancouver area and I would be very receptive to talking with anyone else who lives in this area.  I am open to in-person support, going both ways.  Please contact me here if you would like to message here, text, phone or even meet in person.  I would like to know that I'm really not alone and reassure someone else that they are not alone either.  It would be great to share support services in the area that could be helpful.  By the way, I have a fantastic fiance who is trying his best to understand and help me heal.  

Junglechicken   
Junglechicken

I am dual UK/Canadian Citizen living in Calgary, AB.  However, I will be moving back to the UK in a couple of months time.

I'm wondering if any Class Action lawsuits have been started in Canada against these drugs companies.

JC

sillylady   
sillylady

Hi!  I live in Victoria, B. C. Canada and would like to chat with others as I am feeling totally alone in this horrendous journey.  I have free long distance in Canada and United States so would feel comfortable talking with other on the phone also. 

johnson   
johnson

I'd be up for chatting online. PM me if you are interested thanks!