Altostrata

Canada members, please check in here

btdt

http://www.life-enhancement.com/magazine/article/651-can-5-htp-lift-your-spirits

Thiamine Helps Maintain Serotonin Levels

Thiamine is a B-vitamin (B1) that plays many important roles in the body. One of these is to help regulate serotonin levels in the brain. Indeed, thiamine deficiency may significantly impair serotonergic (serotonin-mediated) signaling processes. For example, animal studies suggest that replenishing thiamine in deficient animals reinstates normal serotonin function. 

It is not surprising, therefore, that thiamine supplementation has a positive impact on mood in both young and elderly human patients. In one study, healthy elderly women with a marginal thiamine deficiency were monitored for a ten-week period. Following supplementation with thiamine (10 mg/day), the women exhibited improvement in general well-being and decreased fatigue, compared with control subjects.5 

Another study involved 120 younger women who did not exhibit any thiamine deficiency.6 Half of them received thiamine (50 mg/day), and half received a placebo. After two months of supplementation, the women in the thiamine group significantly improved their performance on both cognitive and psychological tests that measured mood. These results suggest that thiamine has a beneficial effect on mood even when women are not thiamine-deficient. 

shim.gif 

As we have seen, several natural agents may help with depression. Two such arethiamine and hyperforin from St. John's wort. Needless to say, 5-HTP and also judicious amounts of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and niacin are believed to nourish neurons properly and support normal serotonergic function.

B6 on a previous try made me very depressed... react badly to Vit D and Magnesium 

Maybe if thiamine gets to be ok I can some of these without reactions.. we will see

I have been looking up histamine since I had a drug reaction and have learned B1 increases histamine.  Given that we know antidepressants came from a base drug of antihistamines the fact we have histamine issue post use is not surprising. I wonder if the histamine fluctuates like all other things up and down when we are doing our wave window thing?

btdt

I'd be up for chatting online. PM me if you are interested thanks!

I will chat in the pm here at SA 

btdt

Hi, I am in Toronto, Canada. I am starting my journey again, coming off. If there is anyone else in the city that would like to meet for mutual support, I am happy to meet anywhere central on the subway line.

Welcome Gently how is the taper?

btdt

Hello :)

Hello :) Welcome I have been away with a broken computer hope things are well.

peace

Sunset304

I'm in Alberta. I would welcome some contact.

btdt

I'm in Alberta. I would welcome some contact.

Wow that is a lot of drugs you were on we do fall into it I know exactly how it happens glad your on your way back hope it is not too bad... slow is the way to go! 

peace B

Idecidedtolive

I'm in Calgary Alberta. I would like to make contact with anyone nearby who might understand some of what I have been through and continue to try to make sense of.

gentlygo

Hi, I am in Toronto, Canada. I am starting my journey again, coming off. If there is anyone else in the city that would like to meet for mutual support, I am happy to meet anywhere central on the subway line.

Welcome Gently how is the taper?

gentlygo

It's going steadily. I'm on Risperdal. Not happy with the weight I've gained but don't want to switch meds, just want to to slowly wean off. How is yours going?

SquirrellyGirl

Hello Canadians!  I am not Canadian and am not familiar with the health care system there, but we have a new member who is having difficulties with his current doctor, who refuses to renew a script that he badly needs if he is going to prevent severe withdrawal. 

It would be nice if you could visit his thread and learn of his situation to see if he can be helped with his health care provider situation.  HIs handle is Nyx:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/user/7036-nyx/

Thank you!

SG

coldturkmama

I'm in the maritime as well :)

coldturkmama

And I've commented before lol Oops! !

geminigirl

Hi,

If anybody would like to chat about withdrawal, let me know, and support each other during waves.

Thanks,

Yana

coldturkmama

I'm always up for private messages :)

scallywag

I'm in the Toronto area. 

Our drug patent expiry dates are after, sometimes years after, the patent expiry in the US, so I thought I'd post this link to Health Canada's Drug Patent Register.  It's a fast way to find out the earliest date that generic versions of drugs could be available here. 

Health Canada Patent Register link: http://pr-rdb.hc-sc.gc.ca/pr-rdb/index-eng.jsp

Clicking on the patent # in the search results will bring up the details, when the patent was awarded and when it expires.

MikeThealien

Vancouver BC here :) 

SSRIs left me anhedonic, depersonalized, apathetic, and I am pretty sure it messed up my immune system/stomach.. I have Crohns and CFS symptoms ever since I came off of meds a few years ago. 

Now and I am on and off every few months, trying meds again, then deciding not too, and feeling stuck in the middle..

Anyways, Hello Everyone!

btdt

Welcome Mike I see you don't have a drug history posted yet... it is important as that is how we see each other here.. initially once you have been around here years and years you get a feel for what a person might be in this process by looking at the signature that contains drug history.  

Going on and off drug is bad for your brain I cannot offer much more than that till I know your history.  I too have CFS was dx years and years ago.. drugs suck.. fallout sucks just as much if not more. 

Welcome and peace 

Help777

Checking in...Outside of Toronto.

btdt

Canadian Author who has MCS - multiple chemical sensitivities 

(More about MCS and its many names start here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6175-limbic-kindling-hardwiring-the-brain-for-hypersensitivity/)

I do not know if she took drugs or how she came about to have MCS a list of here books and this is on her site. 

A brief biography is available on this site, as well as selected works.

In addition to writing, Varda continues to work as an environmental health policy consultant. See http://paradigmconsultants.ca

In case any of you have need of her services this is from her site

As well, Paradigm offers unique depth of expertise in the emerging area of chronic, co-morbid environmentally-linked illnesses, such as environmental or multiple chemical sensitivities (ES/MCS), myalgic encephalomyelitis – chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) – and fibromyalgia syndrome (FM). These serious, disabling conditions affect more than 1.4 million Canadians and their families and communities, and more than 11 million Americans. They’re linked to the proliferation of hazardous everyday chemicals and have been spreading at a rapid pace — we saw an average cross-condition jump in incidence of 25 per cent between 2005 and 2010 in Canada, with ES/MCS climbing at a whopping 34 percent.

If your organization has needs in the developing field of environmental health, please visit our services page and see if we can assist you to meet the challenges ahead.

She has a job... here

In May 2012 Varda was hired by the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Association of Ontario (MEAO)

"In 2005, according to Statistics Canada’s Canadian Community Health survey 1,135,000 Canadians had been diagnosed with one or more of ES/MCS (Environmental Sensitivities/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM). By 2010 this number jumped to 1,415,000. Though Canada’s population grew by only 7%, these conditions increased by an average of 25%."

bbm

Hello everyone... Toronto here

btdt

Welcome BBM hope you find what you need here 

wishing you peace

scallywag

I wanted to see in what formulations a drug was available in Canada. I found this:  Health Canada's Drug Product Data Base

Also Health Canada's MedEffect Canada for reports of adverse effects of prescription drugs: Consumer Reporting options, includes online reporting link as well as phone, fax and mailing options.

btdt

Ya try using it... when I last tried the links went in a feedback loop to previous pages... completely useless. 

It took several calls emails and complaints I checked the site again after and it was exactly the same as it was before my troubles. I was going to add a different drug... it took about 2wks of phone calls emails and then a lady had to plug my info into the system from over the phone it never did work..next time I tried same story... 

I caved and did not use it again. 

scallywag

Hey btdt -- I've posted several links; which site/page are you referring to? 

scallywag

Has anyone else read Jan Wong's book, Out of the Blue, about her depression and anxiety, brought on by vicious email harassment by members of the public/readers in response to an article she wrote and subsequent complete abdication of support by her employer at the time, The Globe and Mail?  She doesn't write about any withdrawal problems, maybe she's in the lucky proportion that have few effects or a smart pDoc who tapers slowly.

I found it interesting that her psychiatrist supported what she calls "geographic cures" (e.g. travel & vacations) during her period of disability. After I reported feeling much better after a vacation, my psychiatrist said, "If I could prescribe vacations, I would. So many of my patients find it helpful."  Of course employers and insurers would and do fight that tooth and nail.

Makes me think I'll be living frugally -- far below take-home pay -- and negotiating more vacation time, so that I can afford to take mental health weeks and fortnights more regularly.

btdt

If you had all the money in the world a vacation would be the last thought on your mind in hard wd when it is too late for that it is too late... I have thought about this lately ...somebody said I should take a vacation it would fix me right up... 

noise sun planes people smells ... nope. 

I did not read the article I am usually up on the news but a bit under the weather lately.  

I wonder who her doc is?  

geminigirl

Is anybody in Vancouver who would like to be friends or phone friends?

geminigirl

Does anybody want to be phone or skype friends?

geminigirl

To talk about our experiences on these drugs and how we are doing coming off.

buggedout

I'm from Canada as well. Just outside of Toronto!

Same here. I'm only here temporarily though, a few months or so.

buggedout

If you had all the money in the world a vacation would be the last thought on your mind in hard wd when it is too late for that it is too late... I have thought about this lately ...somebody said I should take a vacation it would fix me right up... 

noise sun planes people smells ... nope. 

I did not read the article I am usually up on the news but a bit under the weather lately.  

I wonder who her doc is?  

I would rather just live somewhere that felt like a permanent vacation. Traveling is stressful for me, I always just look forward to coming back home! WD or no WD.

btdt

I could do with a permanent vacation from wd crap... I can't recall what a vacation use to feel like I tried to when I read your post.. now that is creepy even for me.