The IT GETS BETTER SERIES

GiaK

Redmanone,

when you come off a huge cocktail it all becomes a blur. I came off ADs first...I really don't know how to answer that question at this point...my personal story is documented on the below linked to page...you have to scroll down to 2007-2010 posts for my coming off posts.

http://beyondmeds.com/personal-journey/

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I tried reading your story, i couldnt find anything about APs, i know it probably was right in front of my face.

Anafranil 100mg

-was injected with invega sustenna 234mg then a week later 156mg

came off two of them...risperdal and seroquel...

I was on the highest dose of risperdal than anyone I've ever encountered...and that's many of 1000s of folks now...

I didn't write a whole lot about them specifically...they didn't pose the biggest issues I encountered (and that's not to say it wasn't very rough at times)

still if you do a search on risperdal and seroquel in the search box on the blog you'll find all the posts in which I refer to those drugs...if you want specifically info from when I was coming off then go to the posts from the early years of the blog...(the search comes up mostly chronologically, except that if those words are in the title, those come up first before chronology)

make sure to do separate searches for each drug. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Read some of your stories about risperdal. I was shot up with invega. So i know your pain. How have you improved since quitting the antipsychotics?

Anafranil 100mg

I came off of 6 drugs...Risperdal was the third one ... I got far sicker before I got better, but now I'm getting better all the time. 

praise the lord you quit them and are getting better. i hate what it has done to me, i hope that one day i too can say that im getting better.

Anafranil 100mg

• 2 weeks later...

Giak

Sorry in returning to low dose naltrexone. I tried it at .5mgs gave me worse effects. More pain, drugged feeling, more fatigue, nausea,etc. I stopped it 2 days ago. How long did it take to get out of your system? I called my doctor and he said to keep taking half because it has withdrawals. I distinctively remember asking him in the first place if it had wds before he prescribed it.

Thank you so much for any info.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I don't know. I don't remember. I was in the depths of hell at the time ... everything was awful and I was simply muddling through. I made it through...just keep putting one foot in front on the other and trust yourself...and go easy when you make mistakes and pay attention...I now get solid guidance for everything I do as a result of mindful watching...it really does get better with attention and perseverance. 

Thank you so much for your reply. I will not be taking any more Meds than tapering effexor and brintelix 2.75'gs which dr prescribed to buff out wds I think less is more.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• 2 months later...

Gia k I love reading your posts and hearing about how your doing. Your a true inspiration. Physically when we're you able to start pushing yourself with regularity? Im just over a year off AD and cant tolerate anything more than a walk yet around the block.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I don't push. I practice not pushing. This seems to be a good way to live in general in order to stay healthy. But when you're sick it's critically important not to push. 

Instead I gently lean against what might be called the edge. Pushing you fall over (and down)...leaning in a bit you can come back and rest and then go out again. It's really important to learn this...granted, I say practice because we all push on occasion. But if I push, I still pay for it...so I practice not pushing...like I said. I get better at it all the time. 

Okay thanks for the advice! Im an athlete aswell and Im missing all the sports aswell as the gym.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I was an athlete too. Yoga is great for learning to listen to the body...but yoga, too, can be over done...I've learned to do mini yoga sessions when necessary. 

See: Yoga tips for those with challenged nervous systems http://wp.me/p5nnb-bWA 

Thanks for the response makes lots of sense . Your an encyclopedia of knowledge on WD. Your right yoga can be overdone, I have overdone it by accident. Ive also overdone some walks. It's scary to be so physically weak sometimes. I want to be strong again so bad that I think ive created some real resistance when i feel weak. I get really down. Ill take the advice and approach things very cautiously.

Do most people get rid of the body flu symptoms within a few years? Or is everyone completely different and on their own pace? My gut was destroyed and I was in horrible pain for 9 months or so but now it's about 75-80% healed in one year. But the physical weakness has been so strong for the last while .It lifted in june for awhile I almost felt normal im that regard but every since than its been brutal! Im not bed ridden by any means but Im not able to work or be out for more than an hour

I was still bedridden a year out -- I also couldn't speak  -- I typed and communicated via the internet but I couldn't talk on the phone or interact with human beings in the flesh. So, yes, we're all different...and we all heal...of course we heal in different ways and there are no guaranteed outcomes...but if we do our due diligence to support well-being then we will improve...most of us improve a whole lot and get better. 

Ya I read your story pretty amazing. I don't think Ive read about anyone who was on more meds at such a high dose and you are doing amazing! Thanks for the quick responses I really appreciate it.

One last question and Ill leave you alone. With your website, this website, David Healys risk website and all the other sites like mental health daily with hundreds and hundreds of posts of people in protracted withdrawal that apparently doesn't exist to the medical profession? How have they been able to sweep this under the rug?

@GiaK

I hope you dont mind but i have 4 questions:

1. Have you seen people having acute symptoms for over 3 years without improvements and then suddenly get better?

2. Does trauma during withdrawal inhibit us from getting better?

3. Do you think a healthy diet promotes spiritual healing?

4. Do you think TRE is worth a try for trauma or do you have any suggestions? If i google trauma treatments and outcomes, alot of sites say people usually do not recover from complex trauma

Ive been very unfortunate to have been severely traumatised during withdrawal and as a result suffer from CPTSD from both withdrawal and psychological abuse. Im also 37 months med free and actually worse now than ive ever been dealing with over 60 symptoms 24/7.

Encouragement would be appreciated.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

One last question and Ill leave you alone. With your website, this website, David Healys risk website and all the other sites like mental health daily with hundreds and hundreds of posts of people in protracted withdrawal that apparently doesn't exist to the medical profession? How have they been able to sweep this under the rug?

i think more and more people are acknowledging the dangers...while this happens some of the hard-core supporters of the medical model are getting more entrenched...there are two worlds 

but we've definitely made huge inroads since I started doing this work. far more people understand that there are dangers involved with psych meds now than when I started. 

1. Have you seen people having acute symptoms for over 3 years without improvements and then suddenly get better?

I've seen everything...I had acute symptoms for over 3 years and I'm getting better (I know lots of others like me too)...not suddenly but better all the time...most people do not get better suddenly...it's generally a process for most people and for some of us it take a long time.

Severe withdrawal is a highly traumatic experience. Again...me and 100s of others I know have gotten better and we all share that aspect.

YES, yes, yes.

4. Do you think TRE is worth a try for trauma or do you have any suggestions? If i google trauma treatments and outcomes, alot of sites say people usually do not recover from complex trauma

I suggest you do what you resonate with...follow your heart and trust it. TRE works for some folks...or variations of it...I have sections on the blog with stuff I've used...we all have a different path...find yours by trusting your gut and doing what makes sense to you. 

Hey Gia Thanks again so much for the quick responses. I was curious about something. Did WD ever cause your white blood cell counts to go up? For the last few months mine has been high and was curious if this was a WD issue as our bodies may be fighting to normalize . I have a doctor's appointment Thursday to follow-up but have been nervous since finding this info out yesterday from my online results account . Googling this issue has made me anxious . So many possibilities from nothing to awful.

• Moderator Emeritus

TRE?  I will try to look that one up.

I suppose anything can be overdone........e.g. Yoga, exercise, body work of any kind. 

I had good success with an evening walk/run yesterday.........when I got winded to the point of not wanting to push anymore........I usually just slow to a brisk walk.........this time I tried to walk/run backwards...........woah...........the brain sure shifted into another gear.   And, no, I cannot really run backwards.  Music too.......just music.......or kind of a multitask with music in the background..........sure helps me.  I have people telling me to go ahead and dance when I feel like it........and sometimes I do.......it is so freeing.  When on the trail though.......I am still a little cautious.

signed: the dancing hiker :) and actually glad the lunar eclipse has passed.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks so much Gia. Im quite scared/apathetic/fatigued to try anything at this point. Starting something has always been difficult for me. But i do realise i need to.

Ive been dealing with very deliberating symptoms. I suspect i have an inflammation problem as my ears are all blocked up (have to unpop them 10000 times a minute) for months now. ENT cleaned ears and said all looks good but he cant see inflammation obviously without a CT scan. Im thinking of trying the antihistamine antiinflamatory diet. Do you think its worth a go?

Thanks for your answers. I appreciate it.

My blog iwontgiveuphope.weebly.com

(NOT a pro like you lol but i tried my best to patch something up)

I've seen everything...I had acute symptoms for over 3 years and I'm getting better (I know lots of others like me too)...not suddenly but better all the time...most people do not get better suddenly...it's generally a process for most people and for some of us it take a long time.

Severe withdrawal is a highly traumatic experience. Again...me and 100s of others I know have gotten better and we all share that aspect.

YES, yes, yes.

I suggest you do what you resonate with...follow your heart and trust it. TRE works for some folks...or variations of it...I have sections on the blog with stuff I've used...we all have a different path...find yours by trusting your gut and doing what makes sense to you. 

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy