rispmed Risperidone Taper & Withdrawal

rispmed

Hello,

I was put on Risperidone 2mg along with Procyclidine 5mg almost 4 months ago.

This was for my panic attacks, anxiety, stress, and racing negative thoughts.

Probably all triggered by my new higher astigmatism glasses, breakup, and extreme work stress.

When I started Risperidone 2mg, I felt dizzy and really hated the drug. I believe it did work in the first 2 weeks coz my anxiety and negative racing thoughts were gone.

My Psych-Doc prescribed me with 2mg in the morning and 2mg before bedtime, which was reduced to a single dose only before bedtime after two weeks.

4 months in, last week, I thought of tapering it off with 2 days gap between dosages and oh my god I felt good, went to the gym and weight training, like my testosterone is back, libido is back in action. Just the insomnia and restlessness was a killer after 2 days felt like staying home. Felt really sick.

Now I'm back with the same dose for a week (Everyday 2mg before bedtime), and have to come up with a proper taper-off plan.

My 2nd doctor says I have to take it for another 2 months with the dosage as prescribed.

I was never violent, never hallucinated, was just anxious, stressful and had bad negative racing thoughts before starting the meds,

I came up with a plan along with my pharmacist:

5th Month:

For two weeks: 1 day gap between each dose (2mg)

For two weeks: 2 days gap between each dose (2mg)

6th Month:

For two weeks: 1 day gap between each dose (1mg)

For two weeks: 2 days gap between each dose (1mg)

I think this plan above will be very harsh.

Anyone reading this, your input will be highly appreciated with a proper taper off plan and how to tackle the withdrawal effects.

Thanks,

Bill

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bill, welcome to SA.  You are right that the recommended taper is far too fast! 

Your second  doctors is wise advising you to hold for a while, this will give your nervous system a chance to stabilise after 

your attempt to taper.  It is never a good idea to take every other day, the nervous system needs stability. 

We recommend a taper of no more than 10% of the current dose, with a minimum of 4 weeks between drops. 

Here is the topic for tapering risperdal  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1716-tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone/

It would help us if you can put your drug history in your signature strip. You will find a link at the top of my signature that will 

explain how to do that.   I also recommend putting your drugs into the interactions checker here, (including any over the counter

drugs,) http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html   and posting the results in your thread. 

Doctors often prescribe drugs that fight each other and make us sick! 

Edited by mammaP
added links

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bill,

Welcome from me too.  I'm glad you found us before beginning your taper, I'm in agreement with MammaP about your taper being too fast. Its especially not a good idea to taper using the skipping days method.

... the nervous system does best in a stable environment. Help your nervous system adapt to life without drugs by maintaining as much stability as you can. This is the way you can take care of yourself and help your nervous system to recover. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to stressing our nervous systems! Examples:

3.a. Do not suddenly quit taking your drugs. Do not skip doses to taper. These big, fast changes are the opposite of providing stability for your nervous system. Skipping doses causes the amount of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down. Do not do this for any psychiatric drug.

Please see:  Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable

You haven't been on these drugs long, so I'm sure that with a careful taper you will be able to come off them without too much trouble.  But in the mean time, have you thought about healthier ways to manage your panic attacks, anxiety, stress, and racing negative thoughts which were caused by the changes and increased stress.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful non-drug ideas to help manage stress.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top. Many people find exercise, yoga, meditation and breathing exercises to be helpful.  Talk therapy can also be very useful for some people.

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu,

From 2mg, I reduced my dose to 1.5mg for two days now and last night I woke up in the middle of the night and then slept again.

today in the morning upon waking up, I have a little confusion and a little feeling of restlessness. I'm trying hard to control it.

I'm thinking of holding at 1.5mg till the end of September - this month.

And yes I have started going to the gym, relaxing more and started taking vitamins and omega 3 supplements

Doctor prescribed me procyclidine 5mg to counteract the side effects of Risperidone. I don't know how to taper that.

Should I continue 5mg procyclidine while I am weaning off Risperidone slowly?

Thanks,

Bill

• Moderator Emeritus

A  long hold is a good thing, it will give your body a chance to adjust to the lower dose. You have skipped 

some doses and that has destabilised your nervous system but it will settle down in time. Listen to your body,

when you have been feeling stable for a few weeks then consider your next cut.  It seems like a long time

but it will pass and patience will pay in the long run.  

I wouldn't start tapering the procyclidine yet, tapering 2 drugs at the same time can cause problems and you

won't know which taper is causing them. Procyclidine will need to be tapered too, any drug that has been taken for

a length of time needs tapering because your body has become used to it. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Bill, going from 2mg to 1.5mg is a 25% decrease. A 10% decrease would be easier on your nervous system.

How long have you been taking procyclidine? What were the side effects of risperidone it was prescribed for?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Altostrata,

I started Risperidone 2MG along with procyclidine 5mg on the 29th of April this year.

That makes it almost 4 months. Today is the 8th day on a reduced dose of 1.5 mg Risperidone.

I am thinking of continuing for another week on 1.5mg until I go to 1mg.

I didn't feel the side effects of Risperidone, just lower libido, reduced ability for creative thinking. Apart from that almost none so far.

I just want to be off this medicine and would like to taper off very slowly and safely.

If I do a 10% decrease how long should I hold it?

Thanks,

Bill

• Moderator Emeritus

The 10% taper method recommends a 10% dosage reduction every 3-4 weeks, with the 10% calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the dosage and keeps getting smaller.

Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Status update:              10th day with the reduced dose of 1.5mg Risperidone.

Changes in the body:   Diarrhea with burning sensation, very mild current flowing type feeling in the head, very little anxiety manageable during the day.

Cant wait till I get to 1mg.

Down to 1mg - 5 days now.

Bouts of anxiety and restlessness appears during the day but I control it.

Feels like when the effects of Risperidone goes off I feel more relaxed and calm.

This drug is baddddddd.

Continuing procyclidine 5mg along with 1mg Risperidone.

I will visit my psych-doctor who got me started initially on Risperidone in 2 weeks time coz i'm travelling to the city.

Thanks,

Bill

• Administrator

Bill, I'm worried that you're going too fast with the risperidone reduction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Altostrata thanks for your reply.

I took 1.5mg for 9 days.

Im on 1mg for 10 days now - i'll hold 1mg for two weeks more.

My sleep is fine, im engaging in more activities during the day than before.

Digestion is back to normal.

Dont feel like wearing my new 6 months old glasses with higher stigmatism during the day or else i start feeling anxious.

Im doing good on 1mg now after 9 days and i think improving more.

Prayers and meditation and relaxation helps a lot.

And for anyone reading this who is tapering off, my advice to you is ALWAYS REMIND YOURSELF THAT YOU WILL BE FINE and stay relaxed all the time and stop thinking of symptoms all the time.

Thanks a lot Altostrata. I'll keep updating my status.

• Administrator

You are getting short-lived withdrawal reactions every time you reduce. If you continue at a fast rate, these may get worse.

A reduction of 0.5mg from 1.5mg is a reduction of 33%.

Please consider reducing by lesser amounts as your dosage gets lower. We recommend 10% reductions based on the last dosage. At 1.5mg, that would be 0.15mg, to a dosage of 1.35mg.

Many, many people here were confident they could go faster and make bigger reductions -- now they are dealing with withdrawal symptoms despite a very positive attitude. Please read some of the other Introductions topics.

Dear Altostrata,

You are right. I will do 10% dose reduction in my next cut as per your instructions. Im at 1mg now and i'll hold it for 3-4 weeks.

I cant wear my glasses anymore now. I feel more relaxed without them. I believe My 6 months old new higher prescription glasses is the reason im on this drug in the first place.

In one week's time im seeing my pdoc.

Thanks,

Bill

• Administrator

Good to hear. Please let us know how you're doing.

Dear Altostrata,

I have been on 1.5mg for 9days and then now 11 days on 1mg.

Today is the 11th day. Im not feeling right today. Bad headaches and overall feeling of not doing anything but to stay in bed. I took asprin yesterday and today.

Feeling dizzy and nauseous too when I go out or try to do something I desire.

What do I do?

im not seeing my psychiatrist for another 5 days

Need an urgent reply.

• Administrator

You just made a decrease from 1.5mg to 1mg -- a 33% decrease -- and developed withdrawal symptoms.

If I were you, I'd go back to 1.5mg immediately and stay there for at least a month before making any more changes.