SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

karenl - HELP...having withdrawal symptoms while taking Pristiq

karenl

Hey all this is karenl....

Ran across this site because I'm desperate to find some relief from my symptoms, or whatever it is that I'm experiencing.

I've taken Pristiq (50 mg) for the past 6 years. I have been on some sort of ant-depressant for the past 30 plus or so years. Pristiq was brand new when my PCP tried it on me. I was a basket case when he prescribed it and within a couple of days after I quit taking all the Seroquel and other stuff a PA at a counseling place put me on it was night and day difference.

Fast forward to current time and I am still taking my Pristiq but I'm experiencing symptoms like I've missed a dose...agitated, shaky, brains zaps... just to name a few. I went to the PCP last week and he prescribed Wellbutrin (75 mg) thinking that would help... NO WAY...I lasted 3 days, everything was way worse. I quit taking the Wellbutrin, called the office and Dr said to quit taking as well.

Does Pristiq just all of sudden quit working?

I'm currently still taking it...Why the withdrawal stuff when I'm not weening myself off.

I would LOVE to quit taking this!!!

Assorted anti-depressants for 30 years.

Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac...too many to even remember.

Went into counseling and a PA gave me all kinds of sample meds including

Seroquel. Really screwed me up and I ended up at my PCP office.

That's when he took me off of everything and me on Pristiq (50mg) for the last 6 years.

Pristiq (50mg)

amlodipine besylate (5mg)

Lovastatin (20mg)

omeprazole DR (40mg) twice daily

Hello all...I'm going to try this again as my brain isn't working very well at the moment.

I am experiencing symptoms similar with withdrawal, like I've skipped a dose of Pristiq (50mg)

For the past several months I've become more shaky, irritable, and agitated.

My physician last week put me on Wellbutrin (75mg) which lasted 3 days as my "issues" became horribly much worse.

I have stopped taking that but would truly like to get off of the Pristiq, which in the beginning (6 years ago) was a Godsend...

My physician has pharmaceutical degree and has helped me in the past and I at this point trust him. I'm going to see him next week AGAIN, to see if we can't get "control" of this.

I am curious if anyone else had developed sudden onset of symptoms while still taking their medication.

Has my medication just simply stopped working? Yes, I've been under a huge amount of stress lately. Maybe that's the cause.

I also didn't realize that over the years although nothings been said that I suppose I suffer from an anxiety disorder along with my depression. I say this because some of the medications that I've been given in the past that I don't currently take are Librium, Xanax and other assorted benzos.

I haven't felt this screwed up since he started me on the Pristiq 6 years ago...

Please...any information would be helpful!!!

That's when he took me off of everything and me on Pristiq (50mg) for the last 6 years.

Pristiq (50mg)

Lovastatin (20mg)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi karenl,

Welcome to SA.  I merged your two posts into one topic, its one intro thread per member. You can use this as your ongoing journal to track progress and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a sudden return of symptoms, what exact symptoms are you experiencing?   I agree its puzzling, but these types of drugs do often stop working, something called 'poop-out', and you have been on them for a long time.  Its possible that they haven't been doing anything for a while and your recent increase of stress is what's actually causing your symptoms.  Are there any other medications which you have started or stopped recently?

I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Psych meds can be quite harmful, and in my opinion should only be used for short times and very cautiously, if at all.

Have you ever considered non-drug methods for treating your depression and anxiety?  Many people find counseling to be helpful in getting to the underlying causes.

Because you are already symptomatic, I don't recommend starting a taper just yet.  Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful non-drug ideas to help manage symptoms for the time being.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

When you are ready, here are our tips for tapering off Pristiq:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

I'm glad you found us, we are a very friendly, supportive site.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, karenl.

Did you start taking any other drugs in the last few months?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

Why do you think you also suffer from an anxiety disorder?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto...

I have not taken any NEW drug in the last few months... I only suspected that I have an anxiety disorder because of all the medications for anxiety my PCP has dished out over the years.

I've checked my drug interactions and nothing's there.

Since I've been experiencing symptoms similar to withdrawal, I chose NOT to take my Pristiq (50) last night. Typically I would have been feeling strange this morning however I am not feeling any stranger than what I have been for the past month.

I know...I'll be careful... Will check in later and let you know what's happening!

Thank you and Petu for your support!

Pristiq (50mg)

Lovastatin (20mg)

Hi

I'm a little confused. If I am reading correctly you were already experiencing w/d symptoms and went cold turkey. And you were on and off of Wellbutrin this past week?

I haven't taken Pristiq so my opinion is completely out of left-field, that said, I think you are making big changes in a very short amount of time. Wellbutrin (imo) packs a whack even after only a couple of doses. Starting and stopping that can throw your body for a loop. Making any other changes with that sounds like it is going to be too much too soon. I would suggest that you take the Pristiq and wait another week or two before you make any changes. At that point the suggestion is to drop by no more than 10%. I'm not good with links but the home page does have a link to a section about tapering.

There are people here with much more knowledge of the medications you are taking and the safest way to taper. They will have much more to offer than I but I think that general consensus is just say no to cold turkey. 

Best to you - 

Amy

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

I only took 3 total doses...75mg of the Wellbutrin. It made me so much worse as I was already experiencing "something" BEFORE I even started it.

I know it seems weird but I am actually feeling no worse than I was before taking the Wellbutrin.

Thank you so much for your input and since I've only skipped one dose of the Pristiq I will consider not skipping anymore.

My philosophy was that if I already felt like I hadn't taken it, then why shouldn't I try...

Thank you Amy

Pristiq (50mg)

Lovastatin (20mg)

• Administrator

That doesn't sound weird at all. Wellbutrin is highly activating. It's exactly the wrong drug to give to someone whose nervous system is already frazzled by withdrawal.

karenl, you have withdrawal syndrome from Pristiq. To reduce those symptoms, you might take either 1) a fraction of a dose of Pristiq; or 2) a few beads from an Effexor XR capsule. Effexor is a sibling of Pristiq.

Please read our topic about going off Pristiq http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you Altos for thinking that wasn't weird!

Since Pristiq is no longer working as it  has in the past for me I will ask my PCP for a scrip for Effexor and try that.

I actually split a Pristiq the other day simply to look at it thinking maybe it was empty... Or that I'd gotten a bad batch.

What a three ring circus this is. I've been thinking that I had estradiol issues also but there's no doubt in my mind that all of this is related.

Pristiq (50mg)

Lovastatin (20mg)

• Administrator

Please understand -- you wouldn't be taking Pristiq or Effexor XR for depression, you'd be taking it to reduce withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal and depression are entirely different things.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that your absence is suggestive that you are feeling better. Best to you. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Karenl,

If I understand correctly, you felt like you were going through WD while still on the med, even before attempting to taper?

If so, I had a similar experience the last year I was on Lexepro. I started having reactions to supplements I had taken for years, got more depressed, and had more anxiety, my vision decreased, had aches and pains, vertigo, and brain fog. It felt just like when I would miss a dose, EXCEPT I hadn't missed a dose.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.