Blog: My akathisia experience by akathisiainfo

Altostrata

True, Mort. I didn't do well with Epsom salts before withdrawal. Funny (not so much) story, though. I can only tolerate supplements I took before withdrawal. I take oral mag., and am trying to SLOWLY increase the mag. using mag. oil. One DROP (literally) more than I am used to will put me in complete insomnia and severe akathisia for days. I have to increase by one drop about once a month. I can tell the difference (improvement) as I'm increasing, though, so I'm being stubborn.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Just wondering,

Do you know if akathesia is caused by withdrawal or a side effect of meds?

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• Moderator Emeritus

geminigirl, there are reports of both in this thread, starting with the first post by Alto.

[The linked blog] Documents akathisia as a result of drugs, with many reports of recovery in the comments http://akathisiainfo.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/my-akathisia-experience/

Since I've tapered off most of the drugs I was on I've realised just how bad my akathisia was,it's dropped to almost zero now I'm nearly off zyprexa

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

I wonder how everyone with akathisia is doing?

The intensity of my AK varies throughout the day.

I recently had 1 week without it (barely noticeable). It was my best week since the horrible decision of taking several pills of Prozac.

But:

I have to walk almost all day. At peaks, I cannot eat, cannot concentrate on other things, cry because of pain/agitation/restlessness/terror and end up horribly exhausted.

Magically, I can sleep normally almost always.

Sending all of you healing thoughts

Adrian

December 2015 One month Prozac at 10mg/day and every other day for MILD Anxiety ( What the hell??? No prior illness of any sort.)

Horrible side effects. Finally Cold Turkey.
May 2016 - Lamotrigine 0.5mg. Going up slowly. Sleep back to 8-9 hours normal (complete insomnia after Prozac).
June 2016 - 2 weeks 2.5mg Diazepam for Akathisia. Then lowered to 0.6mg/day.

Also Propranolol, Clonidine, occasional antihistamine, magnesium, B6 - for akathisia.

Experiencing severe protracted withdrawal. Symptoms got worse and changed each month. 

Last symptom remaining - Severe Akathisia since May with (mostly) waves and (some) windows. (When worse: pacing, can't concentrate or even speak, difficulty eating, driving, getting out of the house, horrible pain, restlessness, headache, exhaustion)

I experienced the full force of this throughout March and April of this year - horrendous.

My weight dropped by 7Ibs in one month. I couldn't eat, couldn't stop moving, crying, and thought I was going to die on a daily basis as well as feeling suicidal. It was mental torture. Literally didn't know where to put myself from one minute to the next. It was this period in particular where I was too scared to take a shower.

Not to mention the endless negative rumination/mind chatter.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

What did you do to make it stop? Reinstated?

December 2015 One month Prozac at 10mg/day and every other day for MILD Anxiety ( What the hell??? No prior illness of any sort.)

May 2016 - Lamotrigine 0.5mg. Going up slowly. Sleep back to 8-9 hours normal (complete insomnia after Prozac).

Also Propranolol, Clonidine, occasional antihistamine, magnesium, B6 - for akathisia.

Experiencing severe protracted withdrawal. Symptoms got worse and changed each month. 

Last symptom remaining - Severe Akathisia since May with (mostly) waves and (some) windows. (When worse: pacing, can't concentrate or even speak, difficulty eating, driving, getting out of the house, horrible pain, restlessness, headache, exhaustion)

adrianctn - it just stopped once my CNS settled.

NB: The more experienced Mods may have other theories as to why this happened.

Without doubt, the re-location back to the UK from Canada in Feb and the 7 HR time difference I had to deal with, (which involved a gradual daily 1hr adjustment of the time I took my medication) set off that wave and the akathesia.

I was extremely messed up and couldn't function, so much so, that my husband found me a psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist helped me to see my symptoms in a non-threatening light and I gradually felt better. I have over the last few weeks been in a me tal trough due to the stress of another impending move and starting working again after a year of unemployment.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Thank you for your reply, JC.

I understand, it resolved by itself. Your re-instatement was last year, not this year.

Thats correct, I re-instated in Nov 2015.

Major Life Events: 

• 3 months later...

I'm seeing a connection here with marijuana. My Akathisia has gradually been getting better although the past two days have been a bit difficult. I was trying to trace my timeline back and about a week before I had my severe reaction, I smoked some pot (which I never do) and had a HUGE panic attack. After that incident, I had a couple more mild panic attacks few days later. This was not uncommon for me, I used to smoke more frequently in my 20s and would have panic attacks from it from time to time. 

About a week or 2 later is when I reinstated the Celexa and had the severe Akathisia reaction. The weird thing was that upon the onset, it felt exactly like my pot panic attack (started with a surge of adrenaline from my shoulders down to my wrists). Then after a few hours I realized it something more severe as the burning skin and shooting pains set in. 

It makes me think had I not smoked the pot, the reinstatement would have been successful. I'm sure my protracted withdrawal didn't help, but here's another bit of info... me and my sister were on the same medication (Celexa) for the same amount of time, then stopped at around the same time. After 6 months or so off, we developed the same exact withdrawal symptom, tingling in ring finger and pinky. She reinstated with no problem. 

I'm curious to see if there are any other marijuana connections in other cases. 

*Marijuana effects dopamine and norepinephrine and so does akathisia. 

Tapered off Paxil 12.5 MG in 2010 after 8 years at age 35.

Was awful as expected but manageable since I stayed on a low dose of 1.5MG. 

In 2013 -  I decided to go on 2.5 MG of Celexa. 

In Feb 2016 -  I went off the Celexa with little to no withdrawal except for some small mood changes. 

October 2016 -  At month 8 of no Celexa, feeling depressed and anxious went back on 5MG, day 3 had major adverse reaction, akathisa stopped medication

Nov 2016 - Took diazapam 5mg in varied doses of 5mg or 2.5mg per day, stopped after 2 weeks, horrible tinnitus

Dec 2016 - Subjective akathisia has not stopped, became dangerously unhealthy, had to medicate:

5mg Propranolol 3x per day stopped early January 2017, no withdrawal from stopping

Dec 3, 2016 - started .25 Klonopin 3x per day (did not want to do this but had no choice)

Dec 8, 2016 - started 12.5mg Lamictal (can't really tell if this is working or not)

Dec 11, 2016 - started 100mg Gabapentin in effort to lower tinnitus, hard to say if it helped but probably not

April 2017 - down to 45mg of Gabapentin, still on Lamictal and Klonopin

• 4 weeks later...

At 29 months out, I still have akathisia 24/7. The intensity had improved about 30-40% until about 12 days ago, when I got slammed back practically to square one.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Luv . Was there anything that provoked that ?  Any explanation or just random?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

It's so much deeper than anxiety and depression. It's a feeling of terror beyond anything anyone can imagine. A feeling of darkness and terror residing inside your body that makes you need to move your limbs over and over and over. Keeping still is incredibly hard. It's a feeling of screaming from within. It makes you want to scream and scream and scream. You'd do just about anything to make it stop but you can't. You just have to live with it. You feel like there's something in your body that you want to remove. It's accompanied unimaginable feelings of doom and darkness. Like a feeling of demons being drilled into your head. It's like the feeling you get waking up from a nightmare multiplied by 10. Adrenaline lives in your hands and in your legs. It washes over your whole body all day everyday. It's unthinkable.

Exactly what I am going throgh now, I couldn't sleep for whole night, it just a torcher in my whole body especially tummy, legs... 

I don't know if this is caused by my 1/10 cut of lexapro or worsening old WD since 1 year ago. 

I need some condidence, I am really afraid that this could be around all my rest of my life, I am only 27. 

2006 October Zoloft 50mg for anxiety.

2013 March Lexapro 10mg for 18 months to 2015 September.

2015 September increased to 20mg for 7 weeks but getting worse. 3rd November dropped back to 10mg

2016 11th November taper to 9mg

2017 3rd March Taper to 8.8mg, then Fast taper start: 10th-8.6mg, 12th-8.2mg, 17th-8.0mg, 22rd-7.7mg, 27th-7.4mg.

April 2nd- 6.9mg (WD start), 19th-6.5mg. Failed one day Cymbalta trial, took back Lexapro, much worse Akathisia torture. Keep holding. 

May 22nd- 6.3mg, June 10th- 5.7mg, Nov- 4.4mg, Dec- 4.3mg,

2018 Jan- 4.1mg 

Best I can tell just random, Ali!

XOXO

Luv. I'm very sorry too. I hope it's a wave and that you revert back to your baseline improvement of 30 - 40 %.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks, Ali. Me too! Sleep somewhat better again last night, so hopeful.

XOXO

Luv I'm really really sorry to hear you still have this too. I'm 30 months out now and mines still 24/7. We are about the same timescale. Let's hope 2017 brings some changes! Thinking of you all.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Best wishes Luv and Winning for a better 2017

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 32 years, given AD for this condition alone in 2000

Zoloft 100mg for 15 years, last five of these complained about adverse effects,

unable to tolerate other meds even supplements

Slowly felt sicker, advised by different Dr maybe on ads for too long

Cut back 100 - 50 over 6 months, still getting worse, so stopped over about 6 weeks starting Dec 2014

First month, slow, emotional, useless then POW! Horrendous withdrawal symptoms, completely non-functional

for about five months, slowly started to come back to life and continue with waves and windows, still more bad than good, but bads are less bad, and goods slightly better each time

WT, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Keeping you in my prayers!

Thanks, Cherry! Praying 2017 is a better year for all of us!!

XOXO

• 2 weeks later...

At 29 months out, I still have akathisia 24/7. The intensity had improved about 30-40% until about 12 days ago, when I got slammed back practically to square one.

Hi luv. Thinking of you.

I'm so sorry you got slammed backwards.

You said yours had improved about 30-40%. I just wondered, was there anything you did to improve it or did it just improve on its own?

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Hey WT! Just time. It is/was still 24/7, mind you--but the intensity had improved. Hopefully I am moving in the right direction again. Still not back where I was, though, and sleep is going backwards!

Hoping you are seeing some degree of improvement!!

XOXO

Hey WT! Just time. It is/was still 24/7, mind you--but the intensity had improved. Hopefully I am moving in the right direction again. Still not back where I was, though, and sleep is going backwards!

Hoping you are seeing some degree of improvement!!

XOXO

Thanks luv. I'm so sorry it's still 24/7 for you too but good that it lessened for a while. I'm sure it will lessen again soon. Sorry about the sleep..mine is rubbish as well! I wish I could say I was seeing improvement but unfortunately I'm not yet and I have new symptoms I didn't have before. We will get there in the end! Xox

29 June 2014 - med free

Yes, we will, WT. I'm sorry you're still suffering. From what I have seen in the various groups I'm in, this does eventually end once one is off the drugs. (I believe we've both been off about the same time--give or take a month?!) While some are sooner, of course, some have been around 3 years. One guy just randomly got rid of the akathisia over about a 3-week time period, after having NO windows for about 4 years. Hang in there!!

XOXO

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone -

I also got akathisia from a reinstatement of Paxil - normally a 10mg user- during wd my doc bumped me to 20mg - the next day I had it and isn't even know it - I stayed like that,for 4 months

The acute 24/7 horror and terror have disappeared - I never had the pacing - just felt like I was plugged in- like a light bulb

For the last year I get waves and windows -

For the last 2 months during my windows I feel 100% normal for a few days -

So I am very grateful

But I still get waves of this horrid depression and a fear (which is not coneneted to anything cognitively)

I hope these waves eventually stop -

I don't know that they ever will-

I feel like I will be stuck with them for the rest of my life -

It makes me really sad and it really interrupts my life

I no longer have any confidence

And I don't make plans any more since I never know when a wave will come

It is horrible depression

But it's better than akathisia

I'm so sick of feeling fear for no reason -

But outside of these waves I feel normal-

I have not used any supplements or meds at all-

I just slowly tapered my Paxil through it -

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

I'm sorry if this has been spelled out clearly here but the question I have is:  During my withdrawal I have suffered from anxiety and despair after i make my cuts.  

These days, I am also more agitated and restless.   Is this what pushes the awful depression and anxiety of wd into akathisia? 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

I personally don't think so Hibari- akathisia is not like anxiety - it's not even close -

It's something all together different - you will know something is just wrong if it happens to you -

You almost can't describe it either - and no one really knows why or how

Some get it and others don't

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

Thank you for your reply.   I am more exhausted these days that I think you are right-exhaustion does not seem to be part of the symptoms described. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• 1 year later...

Hi All, got a question. My story is posted in this site under adverse reactions. Is it possible to develop akathesia again years into a protacted withdrawal? Adverse reaction eight years ago, got "better" then hit my nerves again a few times over the years which weakened them more each time. Made it through the recovery each time. In Aug 2016 had to take two days of d-mannose powder to kick a uti. Made it two days and last dose broke my nerves down again. UTI gone but back in a breakdown again. Coming back from that started grinding then into clenching my jaw in Nov 2016. It caused terrible anxiety and akathesia type issues until got jaw splints going. Then nerves were happier and I started to recover from that. Unfortunately all that year and a half of clenching kept weakening my nerves in there. I found that out last month Feb 9 when I was socializing with some family friends for a couple hours and got home and felt like nerves were fried and by next day could tell. I was getting worse the more I tried to talk. Talking is stimulating my cns which is causing akathesia symptoms. The less I talk which is basically nothing the better I get. The clenching gets worse the more I keep stimulating my nerves which further aggravates the akathesia from correcting itself. It's crazy I know couldn't make this up if I tried. I'm scared of the future and what this means for me. It's hard living like this. Not talking to my hubby or kids. Writing, texting, anything to communicate. I know this is akathesia but why would it start so late in the game? To much cns stimulation over the years? Thanks for any thoughts. Hanging by a thread. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Blog: My akathisia experience by akathisiainfo
  • 9 months later...

This thread has been down for months just wondering how people are doin?Im goin thru AK for the second time both med induced.First time from zyprexa,seroquil both ANtipsycotics added to my AD cocktail due to bad symtoms.CT both drugs and lowered my ADs and after 6-8months of waves and windows was able to function with only DP symtom left.This time I was titrating my meds again went lil to fast and forgot a portion of the Effexor ,,tried to updose lamictal for 2/3weeks and AK hell returned.After 2months had 3week window,started eating lot of sugar at night and goin in public to soon may have brought symtoms back just as bad as initial.

1992-1995 Tofranil : was hospitalized 

1996 Zoloft, Larazepam- CT 1996

1996-  Effexor till now

2002- Remron till now

2008- Trazodone 

2010- Zyprexa, Seroquil

2010 hospitalized then CT Zyprexa, Seroquil

2010-  Lamictal till now

2011- tapered off Trazodone

2011- tapered Effexor from 150mg to 75mg / Tapered Remeron 30ng to 7.5mg / Tapered Lamictal 50mg to 37.5mg

1/27/2017 Tapered Effexor 75mg to 31.25mg

• 2 years later...
On 9/20/2014 at 12:16 AM, andy said:

you will improve ,im not saying it will be easy but it happens overtime in very small doses.Look how many drugs I CT and I survived

Take care

How long did your akathisia last when u ct?

-17th August started abilify 10mg 2020 to 24th of August 2020.

-Stopped abilify 10mg 7 days after taking it, as I developed induced akathisia on day 4.

-21st of August 2020 started self medicating 30mg morning and night mirtazapine to help subside the akathisa. 

- 28th of August 2020 stopped mirtazapine 30 mg morning and night cold Turkey.

-28th of August took       -Clonidine 50 mc morning and night.

-Reinstated Mirtazapine 4th of October 15mg.

-

On 9/14/2014 at 2:31 AM, WinningThrough said:

The akathisia site is brilliant and the lady who runs it gives me such hope. From everything I've learnt about this condition, everyone recovers in the end.

How low have young had it? And does it get milder?

-17th August started abilify 10mg 2020 to 24th of August 2020.

-Stopped abilify 10mg 7 days after taking it, as I developed induced akathisia on day 4.

-21st of August 2020 started self medicating 30mg morning and night mirtazapine to help subside the akathisa. 

- 28th of August 2020 stopped mirtazapine 30 mg morning and night cold Turkey.

-28th of August took       -Clonidine 50 mc morning and night.

-Reinstated Mirtazapine 4th of October 15mg.

-

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old. But wanted to see if akathesia went away for any of the people on this thread?

@WinningThrough

@UnfoldingSky

@btdt

• 5-28-20 given cymbalta. Had bad reaction. Stopped immediately. 
  • 6-20-20 stopped vicodin after 5 years. Suffered akathesia. 
  • 7-20-20 to 11-13-20 mirtazapine. On 7.5 tapered for 8 weeks  jumped off at 1.5
  • 11/20 to Feb 3. .25 klonopin, tapered 4 weeks. Jumped off at .0935
  • present - med free. Still suffering from akathesia, insomnia,depression and anxiety
  • melatonin 1mg. Magnesium 400mg daily
  • Vicodin one week. Stopped 12-5-21
  • temezapam prn 
  • sonata sleeping pill. Prn 
  • tried kratom for one week
  • 1-15-22 - symptoms - visual issues, dizziness, severe brain fog, suicidal ideations

@Altostrata so reading through the Akathesia link, they also say to avoid Fish Oil is a possible supplement to cause Akathesia, is this true , I know a lot of folks on her recommend fish oil and magnesium, but it seems that can be make the problem even longer more , any thoughts on this 

here is the page for it claiming this.

https://akathisiainfo.wordpress.com/

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

Currently no drugs, only fish oil in the evenings. !!! 

• Administrator

People with akathisia have extremely sensitized nervous systems. We do not recommend fish oil and magnesium for everyone.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

22 hours ago, Shellbell said:

I know this thread is old. But wanted to see if akathesia went away for any of the people on this thread?

@WinningThrough

@UnfoldingSky

@btdt

Hi Shellbell yes my akathisia went away I haven't had it in many years.  :)

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy