dasandman79Tapering off Seroquel (Anyone done this?)

dasandman79

Hello,

Ive been on effexor xr 150 mg and 50 mg seroquel.  Im trying to taper off all meds with all the research ilve done and what my pdoc tells me of the ill effects of long term use of these meds.  Im tapering off seroquel with aid of doctor right now as the first med.  For about 3 weeks ive been taking 50mg then next day then 25mg then 50mg and so forth.  I literally starting expirerince bad insomnia the day after i went to see him for follow up.  The last two days ive gotten like 2-3 hours sleep each night.  Has anyone taken serqoeuel for a long time and how did you taper off of it with expreiencing sever w/d symtomps like insominia?

effexor xr 112.5mg in the am, seroquel 50mg at bed time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Dasandman and welcome to SA,

I am glad you have found us and especially so early in your taper which is not going well. Not surprising since alternating doses is a very bad idea and no wonder you feel bad.

I would advise you to stop tapering for a while. Just go taking your regular dose of the drug and wait to stabilise. Use that time to educate on how to do this properly before things get even worse.

It is commendable of your doctor to warn you of the dangers of these drugs but unfortunately unlike most of them he has no clue on how to do it. If it was and different, all of us would not be here. We came after we have been badly and repeatedly hurt by doctor s advice who mostly do not recognise the need to taper but in rare cases when they do they advise way too fast tapers or alternating doses. When withdrawal symptoms such as those that you are experiencing return they say the illness is back and advise other meds, higher dose and do on.

Start by checking the information here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

It will help us a lot if you put details of your drug history in your signature as explained here.http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You will find a lot of friendly support here.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Dasandman,

How long have you been on these medications?  I agree with Bubble that your method of tapering is causing your problems. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  When you have stabilized on your full dose again, and feel better, then you could begin a safe taper.  Here is our link for tapering off seroquel:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

Many people find  fish oil and magnesium helpful, see King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, dasandman.

Are you by any chance taking Seroquel to counter Effexor side effects? If so, you may wish to go back to your regular dosage of Seroquel and taper Effexor instead. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

If you are taking Seroquel because Effexor was too activating, when you reduce Seroquel, you'll have to deal with those Effexor side effects. If you reduce Effexor while taking Seroquel, there's a good chance at least your sleep will be preserved while you're going off Effexor.

Sleeplessness is a common withdrawal symptom.

Given Seroquel's undesirable effects on general health, you may wish to reduce Effexor part way, then reduce Seroquel, then reduce Effexor, etc. Side effects are dosage-related.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.