Sunny1008

Single and can't work - what do I do?

Sunny1008

Hi everyone,

I desperately need advice. I feel I am too ill to work right now. I am about 11 months off a near-cold-turkey withdrawal. My central nervous system is completely fried. I cannot handle even the smallest bit of stress. I can hardly get to the grocery store, let alone work.

What do you do when you are single and can't support yourself? I am 29 years old and currently living with my parents. But they are insisting that I have a full-time job. They do not believe how sick I am. They just think I have an anxiety disorder.

I am really distraught. What do I do???

Baxter

Sunny, I am so sorry that you are having a tough time. I don't have any advice but I wanted to give you a cyberhug. Could you get your parents some of the information about withdrawal? Maybe if they understood the problem/believe the problem exists, they would be more supportive.

Altostrata

Sunny -- Many of us find ourselves in this unfortunate situation.

You will have to look into unemployment or disability coverage.

Did you have disability insurance at your last job?

You can apply for Social Security Disability but that will take a couple of years to be processed.

If you go any of these routes, you will have to get a doctor to attest to your disability and fill out the paperwork.

Sunny1008

Thanks for the advice guys. I have tried to show my parents the info on withdrawal, but they refuse to believe any of it.

I don't know if I had disability insurance at my last job. I will have to look into it.

Claudius

This is really terrible Sunny! I had the same issue with my sister but my mother does believe me.

It is very nasty your parents do not believe you. MAybe you can show them the "Withdrawal Protocol" article of dr. David Healy. Unfortunately my experience is that the people who do not want to believe are not vulnerable to any logical arguments. I praise myself lucky to phave financial support now for 3 years and most of my friends believe my story.

Is it possible that you write them a letter? And include some scientific publications?

Hang on and I hope you will find a way...

Brandy

My information may be outdated, but generally the first step at least is to get state disability benefits unless your employer had a separate program that covers you. (Even if they do, such programs usually require that you get any other disability benefits first, such as the state program, and it depends on the program whether they cover anything beyond that over now or, more likely, if your disability extends beyond the period covered by the state program.)

If you haven't already, contact your employer's personnel or human resources department. They can advise you what you may be eligible for.

As Alto said, you'll need to be under the care of a physician who will complete the required paperwork for any benefits you qualify for. It's a good idea to discuss with your doctor that you will be filing for disability benefits, and work with him or her on what specifically prevents you from working your (or in some programs, also any) job. Hopefully your doctor is familiar with what is required to establish disability and the diagnosis codes that will meet their requirements. It might help to read the physician's statement disability requires. Only your doctor can decide what he will put on your form (based on examination and questions he will ask you), but the form will help you get familiar with what the disability program is concerned with (i.e., what functional abilities are impaired and to what degree; they don't care how you're feeling lol).

Be honest, because your medical records have to back up everything and disability programs often require you be examined by their doctors at various times. But it's important you think in terms of establishing what functional abilities are affected to the degree that it prevents you from doing a job, when usually when we see a doctor we're talking in terms of how we feel.