SalsaShark: Hello?

SalsaShark

I've been taking Cymbalta for 6 years and had to switch to Effexor due to the Cymbalta going generic. I've gotten down to 75mg once a day, but I'm scared because I know these meds have messed with my mind (due to the seriousness of my withdrawal symptoms). I'm scared to be here, but also hopeful that I can break this cycle of being addicted to this horrible med.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SS, welcome to SA. Can you give us a bit more info?

When did you switch to effexor and what dose were you on? You say

You are down to 75 mg, have you tapered from a higher dose?

Did you taper the celexa or just quit and start effexor?

We need those details to be able to help as it is difficult to know

if the withdrawal is from celexa or effexor.

It would help if you can put those details in your signature strip,

there is a link at the top of my signature that tells you how to do that.

You can feel better and can get off these drugs safely if it is done

correctly.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Oops, I put the information in my profile but it looks like it didn't go through. I went directly from 90mg of Cymbalta to 150mg of Effexor. They are both SNRI's so I didn't have any problems. I tried to take my boyfriends Wellbutrin, but it's a SSRI and didn't help my withdrawal symptoms any. I hate being on Effexor, but the withdrawals are horrible. The longest I've been able to stay off it is 4 days. Then I give in and get a refill.

• Moderator Emeritus

OK, so you tapered down to 75mg from 150 of effexor. And it was probably far too fast.

You don't say when you started the taper or when you last quit. You are obviously

suffering from withdrawal and I agree with you that effexor withdrawal is a nightmare!

When did you last start 75 again? I would stay at that dose for a good few weeks, or

Even a couple of months until you stabilize and then start a slow taper.

We recommend a slow taper of 10% of the current dose with no less than 4 weeks between cuts.

It takes time and patience but gets you off the drug safely. All the changes you have made

have made your poor brain and nervous system unstable and they need time and a steady dose

To settle again.

Here is the topic for tapering effexor.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, SalsaShark.

How long have you been off Cymbalta and on Effexor?

Are you taking Effexor XR? How did you go from 150mg to 75mg?

What are your withdrawal symptoms?

Please don't make any changes until we sort this out, and please do NOT take anyone's Wellbutrin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.