luv2knit

luv2knit

I am at my wits' end.  Hoping someone can help.  I am a female, 60 years old, and was put on Zoloft 20 years ago for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I know, stupid--no depression or anxiety--just fatigue.  I never knew there were issues getting off these drugs.  Got my new prescription in June, and the pharmacy said they needed a pre-authorization.  I knew this was not going to be quick and easy (I was right), and had wanted to go off anyway, so I made a pretty much spur-of-the-moment decision that it was time. Looking back on it, I was having issues I didn't know were related to the Zoloft--probably for years.  I did taper (6 weeks--obviously not long enough), because I knew if I missed a few days, I would get kind of crazy.  I had no idea about the withdrawal, though.  I have now been completely off about 11 weeks now, and things are just going from bad to worse! 

At the end of my taper, I just had vertigo for about three weeks, and then basically nothing for another three or four weeks.  Then it hit!!  In researching symptoms, my main issue(s) seem to be consistent with akathisia. Not sure if this is what it is, but just to give an idea of what symptoms are--restlessness, jitters (tremors), agitation, irritability, just totally "losing it" from time to time--especially under stress.  I have also had nausea and today, actually vomiting.  No appetite, and went from insomnia to no insomnia, and back to insomnia.  I have not been in contact with my doctor, because I do not want to be put on more meds, and I am sure that's what will happen. I did attempt to contact about the only naturopath in our area to see if they could help, but they advised me to contact the doc that prescribed it.  (The doc who originally prescribed it has been gone from this area for years and years.)  

From what I have read so far, reinstating is not really an option this far out, and also seems like it would be risky with the issues I was already having. I know one usual symptom seems to be "brain zaps", and I really have not has these.  From what I understand, fish oil is one treatment for them, and I have been taking krill oil now for a couple of years, along with some other supplements for my blood pressure, so I'm thinking this may be the reason why I haven't had these--or maybe just haven't had them yet?!  (YIKES!)  I've pretty much stayed with the supplements I had been using previously.  I have tried it with them and without, and can't really tell much difference.  I have added Vitamin C, and have upped (gradually) my magnesium usage (glycinate and topical mag. chloride).  I really feel like the REAL side effects are just beginning, and don't know where to go from here!!  

My husband helped me do research, and based on his research, I have been taking seriphos for the last few days, to hopefully help with the akathisia symptoms.  The first day or two it seemed to help, but today--not so much!!  I really have no idea what I am doing, other than what I have read, so i am probably completely on the wrong track!!   :(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hi  ,

I know exactly what you are going through. I quit invega cold turkey nine weeks ago now. I had a week of wd symptoms following three days off. I thought ok I'm free now a week later. Then about four weeks later, it really set in. The restlessness, irritability, agitation, loss of appetite, insomnia,severe panic. I also had constant headaches. You are not alone here.
I found a new shrink who I told flat out that I wanted off the rest of the meds I currently take. He told me that my quitting ct was very bad. I also quit wellbutrin about two weeks ago but reinstated 150 mg today as I've been so tired. As you, my old shrink would just prescribe more n more meds. Well I went to my new shrink on Friday n he told me to go back on the invega. Not an option to me. He prescribed me seroquel. Yet another antipsychotic. These docs are so eager to write these scripts. It's like they just don't get it. Or they just ignore the reality that this is caused from those terrible meds they prescribe.
I succumbed and took a 50 mg seroquel on Friday night. My boyfriend was about at his witts end with me bc I hadn't slept for four days. Well I felt like hungover all weekend. I will not be taking it again.
I can tell you I'm feeling much better too. I felt hungover, but I got my appetite back. Was able to get out of the house. The insomnia is gone. And the anxiety is gone. I have read that the wd will come in waves n patterns. Take the good days as you get them. The bad days just remember your brain is starting to readjust without the medication and it will recover. Eventually the good days will hopefully outweigh the bad. Try to keep positive n reassure yourself that you are doing yourself a favor in the long run.
Hang in there babe. It will pass. Keep your head up.

Edited by Altostrata
removed name for privacy

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

Thanks, katie!  I had read about the windows and waves.  I even started keeping a journal on September 9, when I saw where this was headed.  For a few weeks, it actually seemed like I did have some good days--or at least good (or decent) parts of some days.  Now, for about the last week, all day every day has been bad.  I'm retired, and my husband still works.  He's been having to work from home, and stay with me because I'm such a basket case.  Tomorrow is our 35th anniversary!  I can tell how we'll be celebrating.  My husband is very good at researching things (my brain is too fried right now).  He thinks high cortisol is causing the akathisia (if that's what it is), and he is trying to get me to increase the seriphos.  (His logic being that it is safer than the drug(s) a doctor is likely to put me on.  It really seemed to help the first day I took it--within about 30 minutes--but I'm reluctant to just jump in there and see how much of it I can take.  I usually like to add/increase things gradually.  Anyone else have experience with these symptoms, and/or the seriphos?  I don't have a psychiatrist to consult with, since the Zoloft was prescribed by my GP for fatigue.  That doctor left the state, and another one took over, etc., about 5 times since then.  Not one of them ever warned me.  Current GP is pretty good, but I seriously doubt she's going to "get" this.  I don't even know how much psychiatrists know about these drugs, and I really doubt a GP has a clue!!  (If they do, would they really have prescribed this for CFS?!)

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi , welcome to SA.  I'm sorry that you are in this situation. Lots of people are prescribed anti 

depressants for other things that are not anything to do with depression and often they do not tell 

their patients that they are psychiatric drugs.  It is 11 weeks since your last dose, so reinstatement might help

but it is not guaranteed. A very very tiny dose may be all that is needed to lessen the withdrawal symptoms.

You don't say what your dose was but I am thinking as low as 1mg to start. Reinstatement is best as soon as 

possible after quitting to be successful but the chance of helping lessens as time goes by. Sadly the only thing 

that can halt the withdrawal is the drug that you are withdrawing from.

The only supplements that seem to help most people are fish oil and magnesium supplements. There are discussions

on may others that have helped some but not everyone, it's trial and error but the problem is that some have adverse

effects to many supplements so you are right to be cautious and start low. I'm not sure about seriphos but if you use

the search box in the self care section you should find some info in there as to whether it has helped with withdrawal. 

I will post some links for you to look at and help with your decision whether to try reinstating. If you do, you should stay

at a low dose until you have felt better for a few weeks an then start a slow taper from there. 

About reinstating http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

About tapering zoloft http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

It would help us if you could include your drug history in your signature, include all prescription and over the counter drugs and 

supplements. Sometimes there are interactions between drugs that can make things worse.

Here is how to do a signature.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Edited by Altostrata
removed name for privacy

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

It does come in waves. It is so hard to keep that in mind in the amidst it though. My mom takes cymbalta for osteoarthritis. I worry about these docs just prescribing these meds. There are no long term studies on these meds. It just recently started to be addressed.

My old shrink convinced me that I could never go off my meds n I feared ever having to go without. He made me so scared that I was sure I'd end up locked up in a state mental ward. It's horrible how these docs instill fear n tell us that there is no hope of recovery.

I take some kava kava at night to help calm me down n induce sleep. I have had some help with it. Just a thought. Do look at the thread about supplements though. It can cause liver damage if used for long periods of time.

Hang in there sweets.

Oh by the way, I know it's your 35th anniversary. Just think how much better and how long drug free on your 36th. Many of us on here cannot manage to do anything. It's not you, it's the wd.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Thanks again, katie!!

Platinum Star, I was on 100 mg. Zoloft originally.  Don't remember what my initial dosage was 20 years ago, but was up to the 100 mg. shortly thereafter.  Thanks for the tip on the signature.  I will see if I can figure it out.  Like I said, my brain is pretty foggy right now.  If I were to try reinstating, would 25 mg. be reasonable?  I'm not really sure for the procedure of accurately cutting it any less than that, but I expect I could pretty accurately cut a pill in quarters.  I might mention I am also hypothyroid, which might cause issues with some supplements one might take.  I have been taking 1,000 mg. neptune krill oil, 10 mg. astaxanthin, and 100 mg. ubiquinol all twice a day for about two years.  These have allowed me to come off blood pressure meds that I was previously on, so I am trying to stay on these for sure.  Also take Vitamin D3 5,000 iu a day and K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily for osteopenia, as I am post menopausal, with a family history of severe osteoporosis.  After reading very recently that the calcium carbonate (1,200 mg. daily) I was taking "excites the nervous system", I have purchased calcium citrate, and am taking about half the amount of that as I was taking of the calcium carbonate.  As I stated, I recently added Vitamin C, and have increased my magnesium as well.  I had been taking a stress B complex, and became a little leary about it in withdrawal, but I seem to do as well (or better) on it than off.  I will try to do my signature, though, and check out the links you provided for supplements.  Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi .

I'm a member tapering from Prozac after 25 years on it.  I wasn't aware that withdrawal was a possibility the first time I attempted to stop, nor subsequent times.  It took the attempt to quit prior to this one to alert me that my sypmptoms (Akathisia, anxiety, fatigue... just to name a few) were related to my having discontinued Prozac.  It took 4 months for the withdrawal symptoms to hit me hard.  It was hell.  

This time has been easier because I've followed a much slower taper.  

I was put on Prozac for an eating disorder at age 18.  No anxiety or depression or related mood disorder.  Looking back it probably would have resolved with therapy alone.

I hope you don't mind me asking... what were the things that were going on that you now attribute to Zoloft?  What made you decide to discontinue?  If you mentioned it already I may have missed it due to some brain fog of my own.  :wacko:

Your husband is on to something with the cortisol.  Increased cortisol seems to be very common in withdrawal and your symptoms may follow a pattern of being worse in the morning then slowly improving into the evening.  That's cortiol's cycle.  In withdrawal it seems to be magnified x a lot. 

Akathisia is what I hate and dread most.  It's a scary symptom and not something that occurs in nature.  I mean, it's iatrogenic/purely the result of medications.  It will get better as your nervous system stabilizes.  

Following the advice from mammaP and the other moderators and administrators is key.  I got a bit too confident when I was feeling better and jumped the gun in reducing Wellbutrin (which I'd been prescribed to counter the fatigue caused by prozac) and ended up pretty floored for several weeks.  Be conservative is what I guess I'm saying.  Same goes with reinstating if you decide to do that.  Definitely read the threads mammaP supplied the links for.

Edited by Altostrata
removed name for privacy

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

...and I feel so stupid!  Sorry, mammaP.  I see now the Platinum Star was your ranking (I suppose within the group) and not your name!!

Yes, Addax, the akathisia is the worst!  Pretty much unbearable at this point.  From my understanding, the anxiety and fatigue are all a part of this, so most of my side effects could probably be included in this. The restlessnesses, etc. is bad enough, but when it gets bad, the psychological symptoms kick in--agitation, anxiety, etc.  My symptoms on the whole had been worse in the morning, and SOMETIMES tapering off in the evening.  Have you had any experience with the seriphos for this?  I'm afraid of taking too much.  I also have nausea (this morning I actually threw up), insomnia, loss of appetite, and some gastric disturbances.

I have added my signature.  I know I am on a lot of supplements, and most of them I have been on for some time.  If anyone has any recommendations of something I should drop temporarily to see if it affects my withdrawal symptoms--please feel free.  I am open to suggestions.

Oh, sorry, Addax.  The things that were going on before I discontinued that I attributed to Zoloft were OCCASIONAL akathisia, occasional loss of appetite, and occasional insomnia.  None of these had been a problem for me until the last couple of years.  I had wanted to discontinue anyway.  As you can see from my signature, I have found supplements that have improved some of my medical conditions, and I felt I could do the same with the CFS.  In the end, when I took my new RX to the pharmacy, they said they had to have a pre-approval authorization, and this sort of forced my hand.  I knew that would take time, and didn't want to find myself totally out of my meds.  I didn't know about the potential for withdrawal, but I did know after a few days off, I would be very unpleasant, so I decided to start tapering.  Too bad I didn't look into it further so I could taper more slowly once my approval came through.  (Took about three weeks to get this--good thing I wasn't out of my medication.)

• Moderator Emeritus

All those things you listed, Akathisia, fatigue, agitation, insomnia, GI issues... those all sound like withdrawal symptoms, and I've had them all.  The jitteryness, resltlessness, jumping out of your skin feeling sounds like Akathisia.  You'll see if you go through other people's threads that these are very common symptoms. Depressing or "Dark" thoughts are also somewhat common.  I'm guess I'm telling you that so if you experience them you know it's withdrawal and you're not crazy. Sometimes that's one of the most difficult part of withdrawal, is remembering that you're not crazy or going crazy.  Of course, everyone is different, so it may never be an issue for you.

I had never heard of Seriphos until I looked it up after you mentioned it.  Maybe someone else will have heard of it.  You can do a search for it and see if it pops up anywhere on this site, or  I know a number of people on here use Magnesium and find it helpful for the muscle tension and anxious feelings.  I started using it at night along with Melatonin to help me sleep and with the hopes of warding off some panic feelings I was having in the middle of the night.  It seemed to help, but my stomach was a bit upset, which I guess is relatively common.  

Fish oil is another supplement that people report as being helpful.  I'm struggling with whether to try it.  My diet is such that I don't eat fish.  But in case your interested here's a link to the discussion on Fish oil: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

I'm sorry you're having to deal with withdrawal, but I'm glad you found this site.  I think you'll be glad you did as well. 

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thanks so much, Addax!  My user name is about to change, as my husband initially set up this account for me.  I want to use something that has no association with either of our names, so watch for my new user name:  luv2knit.  A request has been sent in for the change.  Hope this does not confuse things too much!!

• Administrator

Welcome, l2k.

Please see our topics on Seriphos in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

Some people have problems with it. More is not better. At one time, I benefited by 1/4 of a capsule. Now it doesn't do anything for me.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for that tip, Alto!

OK, I read the topics on Seriphos.  For now, I am trying one three times a day, as it does seem to help me get some sleep--better than I was anyway.  Unless I missed something, I'm not seeing any real ill effects--just that it doesn't seem to work for some people...?  Still having terrible akathisia.  Anyone have any tips for me on how to manage this?  I'm fairly new to this, and it's really getting to me.  I really feel like it would be a risk to reinstate at this stage.  Would rather get past this point, if there is any way possible.  Am I at an advantage by only having a history of one SSRI, or is there any way to tell that?

Been reading about paradoxical reactions.  Never really knew what this was, but I think I might be experiencing this.  Is it common for one to have paradoxical reactions to several different substances?  Is this just common in withdrawal?  How to deal with this?  I have tried several things (not all at once of course) that logically should help my symptoms, but just keeps making it worse.  Benadryl is one example.  Read that this could help akathisia.  Took once, and it made me drowsy, and helped me ride out the severe episode.  Tried again a few days later, and ended up with worse symptoms the next day.  Tried yet again another time, when I woke up in the night, and the next morning, all I could do was sit and rock back and forth.  Yes, I'm stubborn--plus really not making the connection.  The day after I last took Benadryl was the day I started the Seriphos, at the urging of my husband.  I feel like the same thing is happening with this.  Initially, it seemed to calm me down almost instantly, so I took 100 mg. about four times that day.  The next day, I dropped down to three times a day, and had little to no reaction one way or the other, and on subsequent days, it didn't seem to help throughout the day, but seemed to help with insomnia.  I have taken it about 6 days now, and was awake ALL night last night, feeling like I was about to go into a seizure every time I would almost drift off to sleep.  (I have never had seizures, but this is what it seemed like.)  I'm guessing i need to come off the Seriphos.  As mentioned before, I am on several supplements--have been for some time--and I have experimented with and without them.  Yesterday, and once before as well, i felt like my symptoms increased after taking a ginger root capsule for nausea. I have only taken this twice, and both times, it seemed to make things worse.  I am still struggling with myself on whether to consider reinstating.  Would this reaction to everything make it more risky to do this?  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if anyone can predict how reinstatement will go. But I think it would help your peace of mind to make a decision and implement it. If you decide to reinstate, I think you already know it is best to start, at least, very low when you have been off so long. I think reinstatement is generally safer than trying another drug, and it generally goes better the more quickly it is implemented. We wish you the best in whatever you decide! I tried to reinstate an antipsychotic after about three months...one dose was way, way too sedating, but it really didn't do me any harm. But not everyone gets away with "playing around" with their drugs.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks, Meimeiquest.  I really have no idea what would constitute a very low dose.  With an original dosage of 100 mg. would, say 5 mg. be considered low enough--or too low? What can I expect out of this if it is going to work?  Stupid question, I know, but I really have no idea what to expect.  Obviously, I'm assuming if I have a bad reaction, I will know it relatively quickly...

I think one of the moderators will be able to give you a ballpark idea on "low". But I think they will want to know the lowest dose you took before coming off, and how long.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

I did what I now realize was NOT the thing to do.  I skipped days.  I don't even remember exactly--but I split the tablets in half (50 mg.) for I think the first two weeks.  After that, I took the 50 mg. every other day for two weeks, then every third day for two weeks.  I think it was at that point I discontinued completely :(  I basically had no symptoms while I was tapering--possibly a little vertigo at the tail end of the taper.  Altogether, I had vertigo for about three weeks.  I was having trouble with a tooth at the time, and found out it was split in to, and had to be removed.  I had just completed my "taper" at the time the tooth was removed on July 29, so I wasn't sure if the vertigo was due to the tooth or going off the Zoloft.  As I stated before, I had no idea there would be withdrawal involved.  I simply wanted to minimize the irritability I knew I felt on the rare occasions when I missed a few days (like I had at times of illness before.)  Withdrawal symptoms did not start until about 4 weeks after the vertigo ended.  (Approximately the first of September.)

I might mention again here that the most troubling symptom for me is akathisia.  Now that I know what this is, I'm pretty sure I experienced this before while still on the drug.  I had a couple of episodes of what I thought were low potassium, which lasted for about a week or so, and my potassium had tested low in the past (no symptoms noticed when it tested low).  Insomnia and loss of appetite are also becoming extremely troubling, and I occasionally had these while still on the Zoloft as well.  I didn't make the connection.  

Meimeiquest, when you reinstated the drug and it was too sedating, did you attempt to adjust the dosage again, or did you discontinue?  This is all so new to me!  Hopefully I will survive it, and I hope to never have to go through this again.

I didn't take it again. But I probably would have acclimated if I had stuck with it. It just wasn't worth it to me. The more serious problem is when a new, serious symptom arises on reinstatement and doesn't stop with stopping the drug. I don't think there is a way to predict that.

56 years old

Yes, and that is what terrifies me.  Right now, I would like to be able to get some honest opinions from those who are more informed before I make my decision.  If I thought this would subside in a short time, I might would try to ride it out.  I would rather do this, in fact, than to deal with trying to cut pills and taper, but it is getting difficult with the akathisia, insomnia, and loss of appetite.  I am just forcing myself to eat small bites of food throughout the day, and I cannot even taste it.  The Seriphos was the thing that seemed to be allowing a few hours of sleep, but the akathisia seems to have gotten worse since I have been taking it, so I am thinking this can't be a good thing. After the last dose I took yesterday afternoon, the akathisia set in badly, and I was awake all night last night, and when I did "doze off", I started jerking like I was about to have a seizure (which I have never had).  Like a dummy, I took another Seriphos about 2:00 this morning when I was unable to go back to sleep, and the jerking became even worse.  Yesterday when I took my bp before and after the Seriphos, it was somewhat high before, and better a couple of hours after, but that was before the akathisia "ramped up".  Today, my bp is much higher than it's been in a long, long time, but I'm afraid to keep playing with the Seriphos.  Any thoughts from anyone?

• Administrator

Been reading about paradoxical reactions.  Never really knew what this was, but I think I might be experiencing this.  Is it common for one to have paradoxical reactions to several different substances?  Is this just common in withdrawal?  How to deal with this?  I have tried several things (not all at once of course) that logically should help my symptoms, but just keeps making it worse.  Benadryl is one example.  Read that this could help akathisia.  Took once, and it made me drowsy, and helped me ride out the severe episode.  Tried again a few days later, and ended up with worse symptoms the next day.  Tried yet again another time, when I woke up in the night, and the next morning, all I could do was sit and rock back and forth.  Yes, I'm stubborn--plus really not making the connection.  The day after I last took Benadryl was the day I started the Seriphos, at the urging of my husband.  I feel like the same thing is happening with this.  Initially, it seemed to calm me down almost instantly, so I took 100 mg. about four times that day.  The next day, I dropped down to three times a day, and had little to no reaction one way or the other, and on subsequent days, it didn't seem to help throughout the day, but seemed to help with insomnia.  I have taken it about 6 days now, and was awake ALL night last night, feeling like I was about to go into a seizure every time I would almost drift off to sleep.  (I have never had seizures, but this is what it seemed like.)  I'm guessing i need to come off the Seriphos.  As mentioned before, I am on several supplements--have been for some time--and I have experimented with and without them.  Yesterday, and once before as well, i felt like my symptoms increased after taking a ginger root capsule for nausea. I have only taken this twice, and both times, it seemed to make things worse.  I am still struggling with myself on whether to consider reinstating.  Would this reaction to everything make it more risky to do this?  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it sounds like you have had paradoxical reactions. If you've read our discussions about Seriphos, you've seen that many people have had similar experiences, when it quit or went paradoxical after a short run.

You might try 1mg Zoloft to see how you react. Zoloft comes in a liquid for easy titration, read http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

OK, thanks.  If I decide to do this, I probably will be making my own liquid.  Would the fact that I am having/have had paradoxical reactions make this any more risky, in your experience?

Hey Luv,

I'm sorry you're struggling. I've been there. I have found a lot of relief from magnesium. If your stomach can't take it, you can try the topical oil or salts in a bath. I had a wd similar to what I've been told like opiate withdrawal three days after my ct stop. It lasted a week. Then four weeks later, it REALLY hit hard. The insomnia, panic, muscle tension, tremors, headaches. Omg terrible. I went to see my new pdoc during this time. I first went to him telling him I quit invega ct n wanted his assistance with only getting me off theses meds. So my second visit I go in with full blown wd. So what did he do? Get back on the invega. I told him not an option. So then he prescribed me seroquel which I didn't know was another antipsychotic. I was so exhausted n getting paranoid after days without sleep. That I took one that Friday night. It made me a zombie. I slept from Fri until Sat at 7pm n went back to bed at 9pm only to sleep until 1pm. Then I had to nap. I am so against going back on medication. But I did reinstate one bc of my depression.

The wd has been much better this week. Week 9. I am not disabled. Can shower. Even could shave my legs after going three weeks min without. Tmi but some are worse or better.

They say you can take up to 10,000 mg of d3. I have osteoporosis n I'm 36. I take a lot of vitamin d n I also take in a lot of calcium.

One thing that has helped me is milk. I love milk so no problem for me. I pour a glass about an hour before I drink it so it's room temperature n it calms me.

I also burn lavender n chamomile fragrance oils in my room. I also use bath n body works sleep line in lavender n chamomile. Bath bubbles, body wash, lotion n pillow mist. Some laundry detergents make this fragrance. You could just get a small bottle n try that.

I've used kava kava, which is not intended for long term use. I used passion flower three times too. The kava really did help. But it can cause liver damage if used chronically.

Wish you much sleep!

Thanks for the tips, Katie.  I already take/use magnesium.  I split my daily dose between oral and mag. oil.  I also have osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis).  I am 60, so no big surprise there.  My mother had the worst case of osteoporosis her doc had ever seen, so I try to watch my Vitamin D levels.  I brought mine up from 14 to 70 a few years ago using oral D3 and a Sperti sun lamp.  I am reading on here that D can excite the nervous system, so I am thinking about lowering my oral dose to 2,400 iu, and using my sun lamp again.  Right now, I am taking 5,000 iu D3.  My daughter was poisoned by an antibiotic 4 years ago and still has nervous system problems.  I have been very involved in trying to get her better, and have learned a lot--including the fact that I want to try to eliminate as many medications as I can.  Already eliminated my bp meds with the supplements I have been taking the past 2 years.  Doc approved my discontinuing them at my last visit.  Patting myself on the back, but that is what brought me here.  Obviously I didn't do the research on the Zoloft and withdrawal.  Had no idea.  My daughter uses the kava for her anxiety (caused by the Cipro toxicity).  According to her research, kava ROOT is safe, but I still worry.

Thanks again!!  Hope you have a good day!!

Looking back, I actually had two very good (almost symptom-free) days this past week.  It's hard to process that when I'm having a really bad day like Friday and last Monday.  I'm trying to focus on the good days, and hope they get more and more frequent.  I'm afraid if I try to reinstate at this point, that I will make things much worse.  The akathisia is still there to one degree or another most of the time.  Usually I rate it about a "5", but sometimes as low as "3", and sometimes as high as "7" or "8".  Strangely enough, though, on these two "good" days, it was almost totally gone as well.  Also strange is the fact that the good days followed two of the very worst days I have had.  Hopefully this all means it will eventually just be a (BAD) memory.  Still having insomnia--got absolutely NO sleep last night.  I'm about to do a search on this page to see what people have done for that.  Since I am having paradoxical reactions to everything, I'm sure a supplement will not be the answer.  I can get to sleep, but then wake up an hour or two later, and cannot go back to sleep.  If anyone has any tips for me there, that would be great!  Also, still having extreme loss of appetite.  Have to force myself to eat a few bites of something every few hours.  That seems to be somewhat better on my "good" days as well.  Not sure anything is going to help that but time :(

Luv,

I'm glad you had two good days. That's always a relief. Try to just enjoy those days n live up to the day. I have been feeling pretty good myself. I went back on a small dose of adderal n I was completely overwhelmed with panic attacks. I took only 10 mg one day. I can't take that crap anymore. It doesn't help me concentrate. It makes my brain run a marathon n my heart pound, etc.

I have loss of appetite. I have lost 23 lbs in ten weeks. If I do eat, I have to be very careful to not eat too much. I only eat less than a quarter of what I used to. I've always had a huge appetite. I find if I can just manage to eat some fruit sporadically it helps. I actually have eaten a cheeseburger

Katie, I'm the same way with food.  On a good day, my appetite may improve, but I have to be careful not to eat too much.  For some reason, though, fruit doesn't normally set well--maybe cereal, milk, yogurt... that type of thing.  I don't know what my weight was in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure I have lost at least 10 lbs. in the last 5 or 6 weeks.  I need to lose some, but not in this way!  Glad you have been feeling better.  Today has not been my best day, but I seldom have a good day after a night of no sleep.  It could be worse!  I am sitting outside on the patio right now, trying to get some fresh air before the storms move in that we are supposed to be getting tonight.. ugh!  As always, thanks for your support!

Luv,

I drink at least four gallons of milk a week since stopping. That's how I get my protein. It sucks. When I take my night meds, they do give me an appetite. So that's good.

We have had rain since last Monday night. Every single day!! Doesn't help the mood.

Understand.  We are in for the rain all week this week--severe storms tonight.  We live out in the boonies, and we already lost power (briefly) once.  Got gas for the generator, so hopefully we are ready.  First round moved through--downed power lines and trees all over.  Next round moving through closer to midnight.  Looks like no sleep tonight either!!  I need to start drinking milk before bed.  Maybe that will help!

Having a really bad today, and it always scares the daylights out of me.  I'm just getting started compared to most of you, but it really freaks me out.  I have a moderate degree of akathisia most days, but about every 3rd day, it really ramps up and causes severe psychological symptoms, besides just the physical ones--sometimes this goes on for a couple of days.  I have no choice but to just ride it out, since I'm having paradoxical reactions to all supplements besides the ones I have been taking before all this started.  Praying I will get some sleep tonight, and things won't be so bad in the morning.  Hope everyone else is having a good day, and has a good weekend!! 

• Administrator

Please keep notes on paper regarding your symptom pattern and diet. Perhaps something is a trigger.

Thanks, Alto... Yes--I have been doing that.  Not picking up on a pattern yet.  It had definitely occurred to me early on to watch for anything, though.  When I was trying different supplements to try and control, I definitely picked up on a paradoxical reaction there.  Stress also affects it.  Usually when the worst attacks hit, though, there really doesn't appear to be any obvious trigger.  It appeared I set it off this morning just by moving too quickly getting out of bed.  Today has been somewhat better, though.  Fortunately I seem to have no problem with the supplements I was already taking, and in fact early on, when I thought perhaps I could cut down temporarily on some of them, I seemed to get worse, and then got better again when I settled back into my usual pattern.  I will continue to watch, per your advice.  

Luv,

Just wanted to say hi!! Hope you are doing good! Hope you had a good weekend!

Hugs