SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LoveandLight: sertraline withdrawal

LoveandLight

Just wondering what the f*** I've done think had very unstable nervous system for 7 years now due to a lot of CTing dose and drug changes but most of it my fault for just CTing omg what have I done

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

You did what you felt was right, I have been just the same, many drugs over the years and c/t 

all of them including effexor which I had to reinstate and started to taper 2 1/2 years ago. 

20+ years of being housebound and bedridden at times with all the drugs and withdrawal from them.

Your brain can heal and it will, this will pass, you have to hang on to that fact. 

Many of us here have been or are where you are, it changes all the time. Symptoms change daily 

and all the while your brain and nervous system are healing themselves. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you Mammap, I know I'm not suffering as much of others on here but just sick of the struggle called in sick today just cannot drag myself to go most people think it's laziness but honestly they try as many years like this and then see if they coulld keep going..

Wishing you peace xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Brain fog really bad the last couple of days wondering if need to updose a bit or leave it for a wee bit yet..

• Moderator Emeritus

It hasn't been a month yet, stabilization usually happens in a windows/waves kind of pattern, so this may just be a small wave.  If I were you I would give it more time. 

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Ok thank you Petu and thank you soo much for the support on here omg if I knew 6 years ago what was happening..

Was sitting curled up unable to move with brain fog and fear for ages this am.eventually managed to move ..did yoga even..really helped with the out of body feeling..and managed to make a nice lunch after not being able to eat properly for days..

Continued healing and wishes to all on here.

Hey JoannaD, 

Just wanted to chime in to say I hope the reinstatement levels things out soon!  

I also am very fascinated in spiritual awakenings.  I had one in 2013 and it is what prompted my gradual taper.  The way I see it, is that the drugs make it MUCH hard for one's spirit to "wake up".  Anecdotally, I think that when one does have a spiritual awakening even medicated it is a good sign of how strong your spirit truly is to break through the numbing down of one's psyche.  

My interest in spiritual awakenings is 2-fold.  I am a yoga teacher myself, and have been practicing yoga for 12 years now.  It wasn't until about 11 years in on my practice that something "woke up" within me.  And I think there is this very common misconception that once you have a spiritual awakening that's it. and you've made it.  In my experience it is a gradual process of re-awakening.  There are layers of the mind/ego that have to fall away and that process can take several years after the original "wake up".  It's very similar to the window and wave pattern of the nervous system as it readjusts to being mediation free.  

I wish you all the best and courage and love for your taper!

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

Thank you very much ssri warrior! exciting and scary both of the processes we are on, well for me anyway..and the outcome of both processes are totally unknown..only do a bit of yoga and meditation just now and quite lost with a spiritual path direction but do feel that will also open up as I become clearer tapering the ad..

Best wishes to you also! :)

Horrible fear just now..cannot seem to move a lot of the time with it..I dunno if this is withdrawal/tablets as I've had this a lot over the years ..my life circumstances are probably not helping but cannot think straight to try and change them like being kicked in the gut..

And depressed just hope I can keep up work having giving up lost many jobs over the years...withdrawal or relapse..although the last 3 days have had moments of being deliriously happy like I can feel everything again..also can feel my body again

This is really really bad today feel awful also as it could just be my normal depressed state..

But also feel it is no life on the higher doses as well

• Administrator

It sound like withdrawal, see The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah I've seen it thank you.

So much doubt and fighting...strong thoughts of 'this is hell' 'I'd be better off dead' really awful mental torture I've had this over the years but cannot remember how long I left it before I'd go back on ad's..doubt is this my original symptom or not..

Anyone else feel that they have no self..like you getting totally enmeshed in the awfulness and cannot see anything else?

Sorry to go on I just cannot figure out is this my original depression or withdrawal...

• Administrator

There are several topics about this in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum http://tinyurl.com/3hq949z

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you.

So scared that I cannot think clearly my life situ is a right mess not a stable home, no stable job part time and think it might be ending, not much companionship can't settle here ( near where I grew up) but I think the drugs have rendered me unable to function properly all these years and make clear changes..but no that is impossible can hardly think what to do in the mornings..get dressed, breakfast is huge task..

Might still need to updose so can at least function a little better than this.

• Administrator

Please take deep breaths and do what you can to stay calm. Take care of yourself. Focus on organizing a stable living situation.

Thank you I appreciate your reply

So in finding the depression, rage, strange feeling like I cannot feel where I am I space? What on earth is that? Very difficult. Considering that I reinstated on the 8th of October and it is now nearing the end, I'm feeling I might need to updose soon feel that I'm becoming less able to function take care of myself. What would the updose be? I'm on 12.5 mg just now and previously came down from 25mg (before I found this site). Does up dosing work on the same principle as re-instating that I might miss the chance to further up the dose to halt withdrawal symptoms?

Thank you for any assistance.

I tapered off zoloft/sertraline like you. 50% steps and way too fast. I went back to 12,5mg when I found this site almost a year ago. There are a lot of doubt and uncertainty in the situation that you are in right now and it may stay like that for a long time but if you are a fighter and can accept the situation and the fact that the road back will be long and hard you can do it.

If you have some time take a look at my thread. You'll find me going through the same things as you. At the moment I'm at 0,9mg and doing a LOT better.

Don't blame yourself or anybody else or even the drugs of your problems. Just accept things as they are and take a gentle care of yourself and listen to the advices the wiser than me people here give to you. Do not expect a miracle. The progress most likely will be so suddle that it is hard to see it at first.

Welcome.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

Thank you Moody blues that sounds wise advice.

Best of luck to you

Managed to stop the staring into space and actually prepare a beautiful dinner..quinoa carrots, spinach, black beans and coconut sauce.

Wanting to rant! Having been experiencing side effects and various withdrawals over the years seen various counsellors, doctors psychiatrists..they would sometimes say only you can help yourself or if you cannot do slow breathing mindfulness then you are not ready for therapy...ggrrr..they should try and do that whilst feeling like your going to die with racing heart, extreme fear, de realisation..talk about rubbing salt in the wound....argh!

Please can someone advise on the updosing..my few posts before thank you so much.

I'm no expert so I can't advise you. This is just what I did in that dosage area. I opened the 25 mg sertaline tablet on to a smooth book and sorted the dose I wanted with an old public transit card (washed, of course). You can eye it roughly by quarters or thirds. Then I would use the card to put the sertraline in water and drink it. Required several refillings of the glass before all the drug was down (it doesn't mix with water). It tasted terrible but it was just for a second.

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

Thanks but I meant if I am going to updose what percent should go up

• Moderator Emeritus

Considering that I reinstated on the 8th of October and it is now nearing the end, I'm feeling I might need to updose soon feel that I'm becoming less able to function take care of myself. What would the updose be? I'm on 12.5 mg just now and previously came down from 25mg (before I found this site). Does up dosing work on the same principle as re-instating that I might miss the chance to further up the dose to halt withdrawal symptoms?

Updosing is different from reinstating.  In fact the opposite principle seems to apply, if you are able to tolerate any amount of the drug, the lower the better, then holding longer at that low dose generally, over time, brings a decrease in symptoms, especially if there has been some slight improvement.

What has the pattern of your symptoms been since reinstating?

In general have they been worse, better or stayed the same?  How have your symptoms changed?  Have some got better and some got worse? 

You need to monitor your symptoms carefully by keeping notes on paper so that you have a very clear picture of what's going on.

I just read back through your thread and it seems that you have had some improvement in a windows and waves kind of pattern, this is good, its how stabilization can often happen.  If you are having good days, better days and bad days, things are still changing, so its better to wait before making a decision.

How did you react to starting the fish oil?  Did you notice any difference?

If I were you I would keep holding where you are and keep tracking symptoms, it sounds like you are doing better.  After reinstatement, as long as there is not an obvious bad reaction, the longer you can hold, the better.  Updosing is not necessarily going to make you feel better and it could possibly upset any stabilization which you have already achieved.

If you do decide to updose, increasing by 1mg - 2mg, (10%) would be what we would suggest, followed by another long hold.

Read through this for more information to help you decide:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

Having searched a few posts, I see that quite a few people have had spiritual awakenings - I had one before all this withdrawal and side effects started 7 years ago but attributed the symptoms to kundalini..I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to figure out what was actually happening but it was a really strong knowing that it all has something to do with meds..since tapering down to lose dose, have started to feel some connectedness again and feel energy which only started after the awakening but then was numbed out by drugs..this is what gives me faith, this really strong knowing after years of floundering about getting mentally worse and worse..it feels like the spiritual awakening is starting where it left off all those years ago.

Would be interested in others experiences..

I've had several spiritual experiences, awakenings and major shifts in awareness over the years, starting in my early childhood, its been like an ongoing process for me.  But it was definitely blocked or suppressed when I went on zoloft in the late 90's.  When I first got off all meds in the middle of 2010, like you, it felt like my spiritual growth was continuing from where it left off.

Unfortunately I was also having withdrawal symptoms, but didn't understand what was going on and went back to my doctor.  Got myself a brand new diagnosis, some new drugs, followed by new and increasing symptoms, which I tried to control with even more drugs.  I eventually 'crashed' at the end of 2011, still didn't know what was going on, but thought a 'kundalini awakening' was a very real possibility, I was experiencing may of the symptoms of it.

When I first joined this site, I was very confused, not knowing what was happening to me, but I found some information which helped, and also gave me new strength to keep going and endure what I was going through.

You may find this topic interesting and helpful too:

Kundalini & shamanic initiatory illness

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you so much for your reply Petu, that answers my question perfectly.

When I stopped zoloft for 3 days I was a non functioning zombie so there is definitely an improvement. However a week after that I experienced a lot of nerve pain, fear. The last week I've had a lot of depression, suicidal thoughts so things seems to be getting worse. Although as I mentioned my life circumstances I don't think seem to help that, although I've been too confused to be able to do anything about that. I will hold here just now as I'm not seriously suicidal and depressed, at least not today. But I will start to keep notes on paper. Also racing heart last night and very tense.

The fish oil, I think was too activating, I definitely noticed an increase in anxiety symptoms.

Yes, I saw that article about withdrawal and shamanic initiation, in fact I sent it to my friend who seems to be having a lot of symptoms that I'm having, although definitely not related to ssri withdrawal. Do you go to groups Petu to connect with other people having these experiences/insights?

Think I'm going to have to updose the depression is absolutely hell...I hav a feeling that 13.5 mg is not going to touch it

• Administrator

You may be surprised. When the nervous system is sensitized, more is not better.

Ok will just go up to 13.5mg no more just now. Thank you

Haven't changed my dose..think I'm experiencing a window today! Normal perception, no depression, no anhendonia, no dp/dr..wow although last week or so very much felt ok this is my life will never get better..

• Administrator

Good. Keep this in mind next time you have a nasty wave: This too shall pass.

Feeling normal today seems like the window is still open! My life doesn't have much in it and haven't been able to construct anything as have felt so ill for years so it's very strange to come round to normal perception to find that life and the years have moved on without me. But I value this normal-ness so much.

I started work later yesterday and was light whilst getting up and walking to work, I'm wondering if that has any significance in symptoms. I normally get up at 5.30 for my little part time job and the last few shifts getting up at 5.30 the whole day was just incredibly bad. Wondering if I may need to look for other work starting later