Meimeiquest

When Strangers Become Your People

Altostrata

Thank you, meimei. What a beautiful story.

btdt
“They said this would be easy. But it’s not. Unexpected things happen that change everything. This is too hard for me.”

Sometimes our people look different than we imagine.

Sometimes they are only in our life for a train ride.

But we need them to get us through the unexpected.

Today I am grateful for my people, both the ones that support me in my daily walk and the ones God provides simply for those unexpected moments when it’s just too difficult to stand on my own.

EXACTLY!!!

peace

hacilar

That was beautiful; I've had these experiences-they make life worth living.

MissSerene

What a wonderful thing. Thank you, Meimei.

westcoast

Tears running down my face. How wonderful to have helped that lady that and to have written about it. This is what people are at our best.

KarenB

It's the heart of everything, really.  Life ain't worth much if we can't be there for those around us, wherever, whoever, whenever.  This was brought home to me when I was 19, living in a city after growing up on a farm, and driving a motor-scooter which broke down one day far from my flat.  I knocked on the door at the nearest house and an elderly lady invited me in and offered her phone.  She gave me cake and a drink and sat me in her lounge while I waited for the garage man to arrive.  I felt like I'd really put her our and was apologising and thanking her, till she said 'But - that's what we're here for.' 

To her it was obvious - people are here on earth to help other people. 

I've never forgotten her words, and it's how I try to respond to people.  Wherever, whenever, whoever. 

btdt

It's the heart of everything, really.  Life ain't worth much if we can't be there for those around us, wherever, whoever, whenever.  This was brought home to me when I was 19, living in a city after growing up on a farm, and driving a motor-scooter which broke down one day far from my flat.  I knocked on the door at the nearest house and an elderly lady invited me in and offered her phone.  She gave me cake and a drink and sat me in her lounge while I waited for the garage man to arrive.  I felt like I'd really put her our and was apologising and thanking her, till she said 'But - that's what we're here for.' 

To her it was obvious - people are here on earth to help other people. 

I've never forgotten her words, and it's how I try to respond to people.  Wherever, whenever, whoever. 

" Life ain't worth much if we can't be there for those around us,"

For me this is a problem not being there for the real people... in my real life and maybe even more importantly not being there for me... for myself for my own life as wd has damaged it so terribly I no longer recognize it or myself. It is a terrible situation to be in. 

KarenB

They are hard things.  The care needs to at least equal the hurt, and I guess all of us on this site need more care coming in before we can give care to others.  We possibly need a certain amount of care from others before we can even give some care to ourselves.  I used to wonder if I could ever get enough love to cover all the hurts.  Now days I sometimes believe I will, but that it happens slowly.  I hope you will get some more care and love coming your way.

PS I love your tag 'There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in.'

btdt

They are hard things.  The care needs to at least equal the hurt, and I guess all of us on this site need more care coming in before we can give care to others.  We possibly need a certain amount of care from others before we can even give some care to ourselves.  I used to wonder if I could ever get enough love to cover all the hurts.  Now days I sometimes believe I will, but that it happens slowly.  I hope you will get some more care and love coming your way.

PS I love your tag 'There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in.'

Hard things indeed Karen I hope we all get what we need.  I can't take credit for the tag as I borrowed it directly from a song 

Mr Cohen a Canadian 

btdt

1491684_944992365530005_3410495626579200

I found this today on another site thought it would fit perfectly here :) 

peace

AliG

"When strangers become your people".  I feel a little like that about some of the people I've met on this site. I've only been here a relatively short time, but in that time I feel an understanding about the issues we face that I don't get from friends or family . They haven't walked in my shoes, but the members here have and that makes such a difference. It's great to have the support.

It was a beautiful story, Meimei. Thank you.

Adagiooo

Thank you to the people on this site for being my people...for helping to help me keep myself alive even though I don't want to be alive.

btdt

When I was still limping or crawling I made a decision that I would help those I love in my life in any way I could it did not always amount to much...  as I could not do much.  It took the focus off myself and when I was feeling dismal putting a few cups in the washer or putting in a load of laundry ...or sending a supportive note to one strained on fb...yes I know it was not actually in me but I did it anyway they were too far away to ever know...it was not in my day...but it was in me some place it came from somewhere to show compassion to be supportive. Maybe when we are too broken to sort out and still in the thick of things a small attempt to put good out into the world when we can when it is easy for us... maybe taking tiny movement in that direction is a place to start. 

I came to this from darkness.. I was in all ways ill,  I was not thinking I would survive it., I thought how do I want to be remembered... what do I want to leave those I care about.. since I could not do much.. this was the best I could leave tiny mementos  of love for them.  It was all I could do it was a choice I could make I chose to do something very tiny rather than nothing.  I think it helped but can't say how exactly.

We have to start some place.  

SoMuchGrace

I'm thankful that God has given me you people who understand.   In just a few days, you've provided support and comfort, 2 things for which I longed.

gemini

I'm going to go heal relationships with my family that I've estranged for so long while on numbing SSRIs. I'm going to do what I can to make up for lost years. I hope to help others with my experiences in wd and to never give up hope.

gemini

Well now that I'm here living with family I realize sometimes cutting off your family of original. Is the healing experience. My family is toxic. I've forgotten how bad they are and the reason I took meds in the first place. I'm in horrible environment right now but will use this time for healing, then get back to work and gtf out, cut off all ties with these psychos, ND be grateful I refused to become like them, that I took the humane/pro humanity and peace path.

manymoretodays

I don't know......my biological family is alright.  But only........as I discovered long ago........one at a time please.  Difficult to always do and then for some there is always a spouse involved.  The spouses are actually much easier to deal with.

Just had Mom and sister visiting/helping and I feel a lot of regrets now.  I couldn't be who I wanted to be.  I did try to delegate but then it always involved me too much.....to actually get the job done that I had foreseen.  So.......a lot of part acts got started.........better than nothing.  Household, yard, etc. really type stuff.  I ate better, got out more and all that was good.  Thing is.....my Mum is 87......and can't always travel alone.  I would have preferred just her to come.  And then that particular sister......I knew......that she wouldn't really know......what to do......how to help, etc.  I guess it was what it was.  I learned something anyway as far as having subsequent bio family come again.  They are all out of state and it does involve some expense and all too.

I know I can say it here.  I am glad they are gone now but also very glad they came, made the effort, wanted to help,.........and they did.

I do hope, however, that it never comes down to me having to live with any one of my family members.  That WOULD be torture.

It was very difficult, to say the least.  Brought up a lot of emo......neuroemotions and hypercritical and.......Oooof tah.......to the swearing place.now..........

Yes, I Love my strangers.  Hugs.

gemini

My family of origin is not okay. They have severe personality and schizoid behaviors they do not address because maybe they cant. I am going to use them to aid my healing. At least they can give back to humanity this way before they die, i.e., have some use as carbon-based beings with a conscience, such as they have it.

gemini

I can't stand these beasts, especially the monstrous daughter of the sister beast!

manymoretodays

"carbon based beings with a conscience"........lol.  Hang on......hang in.  I "should" probably post this in your intro. thread??  IDK.  One of those days.........ayup.....that sister of mine needs an antidiarheal of the mouth medication.......I finally told her it was just "overstim" but before that I am pretty sure I insulted her......not meaning to.....but.........whoooosh.  Might have been a lesson for me however.......I sometimes do ramble on in real life..........have to really stay aware so that I do not.

gemini

The biggest gift I was given through wd is how meaningful relationships are so important, and taking away the importance of the term "family of origin" as is many times is the case, not meaningful at all and harmful.

manymoretodays

That does sound rough......  I don't suppose they are able to understand much, even if you tell them what you need now either.  Even mine......brief stay here......I couldn't even figure out how to tell them what exactly I needed.  At least no bellowing.  But I did feel really criticized.  Neither of mine were scary though.  Good luck.....try and hide some snacks to eat in private when you can maybe?  Sheesh....