SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

What a pleasure to hear from my favourite Nova Scotian....

Greetings CJ hey must be time for your next update ..right?

Go well.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

So far 2 wonderful mods and 2 wonderful members have commented on 'the works' anyone else amongst the 15 24 down-loaders  want to add their voice.

Im happy to change wording or whatever if you can add or improve on it....just tell me what you would like. Do you want anymore calculators.? Like .....what dose should i be on in interval 'x' ? say...or the question we have always wanted to ask but been to shy to like "ive always wanted to know in which interval i should be swallowing 2.35mg" and other such excellent most awesome questions that have always fillled our minds...

The good thing is i have made all formulas available so people can now if they wish design their own spreadsheet and format or layout.

Now there's a challenge...and a wonderful wdl distraction activity.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Read some interesting stuff today from Kirsch in 'Emperors New Drugs' gee this book is fascinating.

Thought i would post it here:

Placebos Without Deception

p155

When given in the guise of active medications, placebos can produce powerful effects, but how potent would they be if the patients knew they were taking placebos? Is it possible to produce a placebo effect without deception?

In 1965, Lee Park and Lino Covi, two young psychiatrists at the John Hopkins University Hospital, undertook a study that was aimed at answering this question.

Their  surprising conclusion was that placebos can be given openly, without deception, and still be effective.

Park and Covi  gave placebo pills to 15 psychiatric outpatients and told them that the pills were placebos.

More specifically, they told the patients: ‘Many people with your kind of condition have… been helped by what are sometimes called “sugar pills”, and we feel that a so-called sugar pill may help you, too. Do you know what a sugar pill is? A sugar pill is a pill with no medicine in it at all. I think this pill will help you as it has helped so many others. Are you willing to try this pill?

With instructions like these, one might expect patients to become angry or insulted, to refuse to take the pills or at least to feel sceptical, even if reluctant to express their scepticism. We would certainly not expect them to improve. Even the researchers who conducted the study did not expect to find much of an effect.

“It was to just be a very small pilot trial to learn if patients would actually go along with us and to see if any subjects actually benefited,” Lee Park recalls.

The researchers were amazed by the results.

All but one of the 15 patients agreed to take the placebo pills. But did they actually take them?

To find out, Covi counted how many pills were left at the end of the first week.

Pill count indicated that all 14 who had agreed to take the placebo pills had in fact taken them as prescribed.

More impressive, all of them reported feeling better at the end of the study.

How did the placebo produce improvement in these patients? To find out, Park and Covi asked them what they thought about the pills they had been given.

Eight of the patients suspected that the clinicians had lied to them and that the pills contained active medication. Three of these patients reported side effects that may have encouraged their suspicion.

One patient concluded that the pills could not have been placebos because they worked better than medications that she had taken previously.

Other patients were sure that the pills were in fact placebos, just as the doctors had told them they were. These patients also got better. In fact, one patient who was afraid of getting addicted to active medication expressed relief at being given a placebo and asked to be allowed to continue taking her sugar pills after the experiment was over.

The Park and Covi study is certainly tantalising, and it is a shame that no one has ever followed up on it with further research, because it is also a flawed study, and it is difficult to draw conclusions from it.

The biggest problem is that there was no control group. The patients might have improved just as much even if they had not been given the placebo pill.

Still, the fact that most of the patients complied with the non-deceptive placebo treatment instructions, and that some later attributed their improvement to having taken a ‘sugar pill’, suggests that the use of placebos need not be deceptive in order to be effective .

(…).. Classical conditioning is one of the factors behind the placebo effect. Classical conditioning is the phenomenon in which a neutral stimulus ( such as a bell, buzzer or placebo pill) comes to evoke a reaction that had been produced by something else (food or active medication) with which it has been associated.

Most of these conditioned responses are due to the beliefs and expectations that are produced by the conditioning process, but some of them are also automatic. They can occur even without the person’s conscious awareness. So perhaps taking a placebo pill is a smart idea after all even if you know it is a placebo. The pill can function as a conditioned stimulus – as it is called in the scientific literature – triggering a therapeutic reaction because of your previous positive experience with active medications.

It may indeed be possible to give people placebos openly, without deceiving them, and still obtain good results. But there is a good argument for not doing this: we don’t have to.

There are alternatives to the prescription of either antidepressants drugs or placebos.

These alternative treatments mobilise the placebo effect, and some of them may do much more than this, but they carry neither the side-effect risks of active drugs nor the ethical risks of deception.

Kirsch goes on to talk about psychotherapy, physical exercise and St John’s wort he says he is not a great fan of St John’s wort.  And interestingly another one is the bibliotherapy.

(...)...Many of the benefits of CBT can be obtained without going into therapy. There are a number of self-help books, CDs and computer programs that have been used to treat depression and some of these have been tested in clinical trials with positive results.

Kirsch recommends two books ‘Control your depression’ by Peter Lewinsohn and ‘Feeling good’ by David Burns.

Published research exists testing the effectiveness as stand-alone treatments for depression.

You might wonder whether something as so simple as reading a book could possibly cure depression, but clinical studies indicate that it can.

An analysis of these trials shows that people get less depressed after reading these books, and the three year follow-up indicates that the benefits are long-lasting.

The most prolific researcher of bibliotherapy is Forrest Scogin a Professor of psychology at the University of Alabama. One of Scogins studies compared the clinical effectiveness of ‘Feeling Good’ to standard CBT with a live therapist.

Although patients in both groups improved, those who had seen a therapist had improved more than the others by the end of the treatment. But the subjects who had been given the book to read continued to improve, and within three months they had caught up with those who had received standard CBT.

One caveat is needed, however, the patients studied in clinical trials of bibliotherapy were only moderately depressed. We do not yet know what effect books like ‘Feeling Good’ and ‘Control your depression’ would have on people who are more severely depressed, but for those who are mildly or moderately depressed, working through the exercises in these books can be a reasonable alternative to psychotherapy.

Physicians might wonder whether self-help treatments would be acceptable to their depressed patients.

A recent study by Alistair Dobbin a general practitioner in Edinburgh, suggests that they might actually prefer it.

Dobbin let depressed patients referred by the NHS choose between taking antidepressant medication prescribed by the GPs and receiving a self-help self-hypnosis treatment program presented on CDs.

86% of the patients chose the self-help self -hypnosis program,

7% chose antidepressants and the rest expressed no preference.

With so few patients on the drug condition, a comparison of the outcomes of the two treatments was not feasible, but those getting the self- help program did at least as well as patients in studies of antidepressants and CBT.

nz11

"next please"

oh arr yeah hey doc can i have one two packets of placebos  gummy bears and arr a couple of books to read.

"but what good is that gonna do ya?

You might be surprised!

Recovering paxil addict

Also I noticed people have been talking about recovery and renewal by Bayliss Frederick.
Just got it from out of the library.

Its the first book i've  read on recovering from withdraw from psychotropic drugs.

Here's something interesting she says on tapering.

The patient must be allowed to taper off the drug  at a comfortable pace using the most appropriate weaning process.

Short-term use patients (2-4 weeks) are usually able to taper successfully within 2-4 weeks. [This is an area I'm interested in at the moment and is very grey].

For chronic users, smaller reductions in doses may be necessary closer to the end of the taper.[she doesn't seem to go into specifics and talks in general terms].

"A temporarily compromised nervous system due to withdrawal can reduce the most grounded and stable person to literally a 'quivering wreck.'

[Tell me about it.]

"It is the responsibility of every doctor who prescribes an antidepressant or benzodiazepine to give the patient information on which the decision to take or not take the drug can be based. When treating patients for anxiety, depression, insomnia or other related conditions, a doctor might understandably be hesitant and conclude that imparting too much information will only make matters worse. However, keeping patients ignorant of the addictive properties of the drug is not in their best interest. It is a reason so many are unpleasantly surprised and left reeling by an unanticipated and devastating withdrawal experience. " p122 -123

Baylissa is onto it alright.

She has written the book many here could have....how could we let this happen!!!

SA needs to do a book immediately...

(The Alto-psychology of wdl and neuroemotions, absence of wdl studies!, laughable myths!

The CW- talking to doctor G for your own self informing benefit, 'ignorance is a choice'!, surviving unemployment.

The Rhi - healing and making liquids,

the Brass- tapering methods, AFF, and how to successfully waltz through minefields!

The Petu- healing pastimes and distractions..designing gardens! and growing oranges!

The Lmac- wdl experience articulations,

The Caperjackie- success stories,

The aberdeen- faith and hopefulness in wdl

The Songbird- being patient,

The Fresh- non drug options esp aromatherapies...and winning legal actions,

The Andy-insomnia and the hazards of reading labels incorrectly,

The big MammaP- reinstatement and the hazards of not knowing what you are swallowing !,

The Jancarol-wdl metaphors and resting relaxing healing holidays and the power of vitamin D

KarenB- councelling and psychotherapy staying caaaalm and selfhelp and

SG and AliG - wise councel ..and living like an owl!

cc - editor and chief typist and a chapter on the 'best of' links and vids......and

anyone wanna do side effects! and worst case scenarios...iggy maybe!? just a thought.

Did i miss any chapters??

hey you guys should have done a chapter each and then put all proceeds to sa!).

This sa book is sooooo overdue.

Did i miss any chapters?

nz11

No im not doing a chapter on you know what... no forget it..just drop it will you!

Look i dont care if you were only referring to Myers -Briggs...i aint doin it!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Just thought box 2 could be used at any time not just for those drug free ...do you think i should point that out.

Do you appreciate having formulas visible or do you want them hidden? Are they distracting?

That's a good idea about box 2. It can be used to check that you haven't been tapering too fast. I entered today's date where it says date drug free and current dose into jump off dose. I got a result of 7.6% based on 4 weeek intervals, which seems about right considering I have been holding recently.

I think the formulas should stay as they allow the work to be peer reviewed, and who knows, some mathematical genius might come along and spot a small error that no-one else had noticed.

P.S. I'd buy a copy of that SA book

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

NZ.  You're on fire !  Those KB smoothies must be working .  Personally , I'm not sure about all that fat .   :unsure:     Did you manage to catch the "  ghee" ? LOL.  The book sounds good , but I think you and I would have to be included in the " insomnia " chapter , as well !  Andy , is a relative newcomer to this, whereas we are " old hands " , at this caper . I do like to be a wise owl , though !  A  " novel " idea .

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Surely you know this book is already available in electronic form, it's just being produced in installments, readable for free, available to anyone with a web browser and an internet connection. It's even interactive!

"Surviving Antidepressants" dot org.

Here, we (for the most part) preach to the choir. And if anyone is listening to the video that is in the link Fresh posted today, you'll see it will never fly. The PIC (Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex) won't have it. We, as a group, are too small and weak. At the moment......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy , is a relative newcomer to this, whereas we are " old hands " , at this caper

Thanks, AliG.  Last thing I want to do is OWN that chapter!   :angry:

My chapter can be called "Kelly Brogan -- Voice for a New Paradigm."

Whaddya think?

Or was that the chapter YOU wanted to write.  LOL.

:P

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Keep taking those Gummy Bears NZ11, they seem to be working.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Just thought box 2 could be used at any time not just for those drug free ...do you think i should point that out.

Do you appreciate having formulas visible or do you want them hidden? Are they distracting?

That's a good idea about box 2. It can be used to check that you haven't been tapering too fast. I entered today's date where it says date drug free and current dose into jump off dose. I got a result of 7.6% based on 4 weeek intervals, which seems about right considering I have been holding recently.

I think the formulas should stay as they allow the work to be peer reviewed, and who knows, some mathematical genius might come along and spot a small error that no-one else had noticed.

P.S. I'd buy a copy of that SA book

Phew that worked out ok then....for a second there i thought.....

yeah i will change wording for box 2 one shouldnt have to wait until drug free in order to enjoy its benefits  .

Yeah my thoughts too about formulas...its my disclaimer all care and no responsibility..!  Besides gives the CC and Brass something to read in their spare time.

Recovering paxil addict

Andy , is a relative newcomer to this, whereas we are " old hands " , at this caper

Thanks, AliG.  Last thing I want to do is OWN that chapter!   :angry:

My chapter can be called "Kelly Brogan -- Voice for a New Paradigm."

Whaddya think?

Or was that the chapter YOU wanted to write.  LOL.

:P

Andy

What there's mutiny in the ranks already!!

Sorry Andy i was in a rush and didnt think my delegations through properly....

ok heres your new 3 chapter titles!!

'Goals' ,

'A Head(er) of your Own' or ...Positivity in wdl - Keeping your head when everyone else is losing theirs!   [you decide]

and

'KB a real smoothie'

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Andy i was in a rush and didnt think my delegations through properly....

ok heres your new 3 chapter titles!!

'Goals' ,

'A Head(er) of your Own' or ...Positivity in wdl - Keeping your head when everyone else is losing theirs!   [you decide]

and

'KB a real smoothie'

Well played, sir!

Well played.

:lol:

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

NZ.  You're on fire !  Those KB smoothies must be working .  Personally , I'm not sure about all that fat .   :unsure:     Did you manage to catch the "  ghee" ? LOL.  The book sounds good , but I think you and I would have to be included in the " insomnia " chapter , as well !  Andy , is a relative newcomer to this, whereas we are " old hands " , at this caper . I do like to be a wise owl , though !  A  " novel " idea .

Yes my oversight there....its been sorted and i think hes happy now....

I did manage to catch that ghee though ...boy the squawking it made as i tried to put it in the blender ....it woke the neighbours up!!

You are always a wise Al....

Ive been asked to do a chapter from  Myers Briggs ..

its now 6am been up since 4 am only one more hour and i rejoin normal ...cant wait.

Recovering paxil addict

Surely you know this book is already available in electronic form, it's just being produced in installments, readable for free, available to anyone with a web browser and an internet connection. It's even interactive!

"Surviving Antidepressants" dot org.

Here, we (for the most part) preach to the choir. And if anyone is listening to the video that is in the link Fresh posted today, you'll see it will never fly. The PIC (Pharmaceutical Industrial Complex) won't have it. We, as a group, are too small and weak. At the moment......

I knew there would be someone.....  to point out the obvious ....

Well we all know a service is never worth as much once its been paid for ...which leaves us in a predicament when it comes to valuing sa doesnt it!!

iggy says shes doing two chapters of her own choice....being

'The suffering continuum and where you sit relative to myself'.,and

Playing with other peoples neurotransmitters and triggering serious limbic activity.

However i told her thats not acceptable she can do 

'Mind your own business' and

'taking a look in the mirror.'

take it or leave it.

She said she would get back to me...

Recovering paxil addict

Keep taking those Gummy Bears NZ11, they seem to be working.

Thanks Brass so i take it your are ok with your Chapter titles ...phew !! all i need  is ....another unhappy camper....

Now we can all get some sleep!! (fingers crossed....).

Actually its not the gummies its the kiwis check this out

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11621934

nz11

im doing -STOP THE (drug) TRAFFiC(king)!

Recovering paxil addict

Changing topic and on a more serious note i just checked my emails this morning ..

....im not one to share emails but here is one just sent to me that highlights the disappointing and unhelpful uninformed situation people are up against,....recently checking up on a person in another part of the nation who is trying to taper off paxil....[names changed]... they reply ...

".......Trevor is doing ok still on 20% less, his Councillor is pro getting off and is knowledgeable but his doctor just dropped him when he said that he had started cutting down and basically said 'oh well good luck and goodbye' so that was a shock. interesting though that  there is a pharmacist [locally] who used to push drugs but is anti now and would love to talk to Trevor about how bad these drug companys are so that is promising and i hope we get to meet him......."

This person who is helping Trevor is a silent reader of sa....apparently someone put them onto this site....

Recovering paxil addict

I knew there would be someone.....  to point out the obvious ....

heh heh.

I was talking about the cancer video, not iggy's 'whatever it is' videos. But it was funny that when I went looking for the 2nd installment of the cancer thing, my youtube history happily suggested I might want to watch iggy part 2. Big mistake. Even duller and dumber than the first. What I find most laughable is that she is trying to impart knowledge of complex concepts she does not she herself understand. I remember reading another board last year where she was making somewhat of a pest of herself wanting the people there to explain those concepts to HER. As far as I know, they are just plain folk posting under pseudonyms just like here, not 'brain scientists' who study this stuff for years and not in vivo but in dry thick textbooks....

She can write all the chapters she wants but it's not going to be in a book I'll want to read. People assume I don't like her but that is not the issue. Her ideas are directly damaging to the work that is being done here. She's not helping, she's self aggrandizing.

So how come you aren't writing this book, nz11?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

AFF-- Anticipate, Fear, Fight. A very common "coping" strategy. Not without it's problems though. lol  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

AFF-- Anticipate, Fear, Fight. A very common "coping" strategy. Not without it's problems though. lol  

lol

Just wanted to respond to this by saying at this very moment in time ...Brass has 1,599 posts and now i have 1,600!! lol

Recovering paxil addict

So how come you aren't writing this book, nz11?

I like figures not words.

There is someone here though who has a book in them and they write well and are very skilled at expressing explaining articulating stuff (including those neuro-what-the-heck-is that-transmitter words), someone by the name of ...CW.

Recovering paxil addict

Dan

Regarding the 'notes'

i 'll do a compromise i'll move the mathematical pontifications from the notes to the bottom of the page but leave the comment about cns which Fresh wisely pointed out were it is.

How does that sound?

or what about this delete note 3,4,5,8,9,and 10 these are probably totally unnecessary and irrelevant anyway

Leaving note 1,2,6 and 7.

Recovering paxil addict

Gold star

• photo-thumb-2559.jpg?_r=1453334048
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationFoul Bay South Australia

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

nz11, you moved AGAIN????????

(just trying to keep my post count ahead of yours.....)

You are so far ahead of me ...dont worry, I'll never catch you cw.

(unless you go into hibernaton ....AGAIN!!!!!..for about 1.5 yrs... that'll even it up).

Recovering paxil addict

Quote: unless you go into hibernation again....... Yeah I think that is kinda the plan.

oh don't do that cw we all love reading your great posts.....

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

That octopus made me smile. Good on him! Shows how clever it was - sounds like he'd been planning it!

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Thats a great story....lol.

Im curious did he actually take the lid off the drain or was it left off?

Well animals are pretty clever eh....

Do you know the most intelligent animal on the planet is a 'kea'...lives in NZ.

The Kea is a parrot that lives on the alpine snow line ...the only parrot in the world that does.

This animal should be our national animal not the silly kiwi......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=189751

nz11

Wish i lived in NZ !...

...rumor has it NZ is now China's fastest growing province!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought you lived in the South Island - when did you move to Oz?  Is Trevor in Auckland? My GP is very supportive of my slow tapering.  Keas are pretty amazing - do you remember that ad where the keas stripped everything off a car?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Hi Songbird great to have you pop in on my thread

Trevor is not in Auckland.

Trevor's doctor didnt originally want him to go off the drug. Raised his voice to him when he suggested it was addictive. And when pushed for a tapering schedule told him to alternate doses 2 days on two days off ..when it was mentioned that is not very good the doctor basically said whatever then maybe 3 days on 3 days off then. But seemed angered that he was going to taper. (I guess that could be how some people might react when they see a pay cut might be coming.)

You're doctor is rare. I would guess though that your doctor has been very fortunate and no doubt been receiving professional development from yourself.

Yes i do recall kea ads they may even be on youtube....

later

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6vY0s83NLg

Recovering paxil addict

Someone on here recently caused me to think.

No they didn't cause me anxiety or trigger any withdrawal symptoms. But they did make me stop and think.

And even consider taking some particular action.

However rather than post this in that person's intro which would make it a bit pointed I've decided to make a note here.

Baylissa Frederick said this:

"Brain fog is one of the reasons many people in withdrawal are misdiagnosed. This could be due to the fact that it is also common in other conditions including chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. It is also a symptom of heavy-metal poisoning, and one of the first things I did when I was feeling unwell but had not yet identified the drug as the culprit was to have my dentist remove all my amalgam (mercury -containing) fillings. They were replaced with composite ones, but this did not make a difference.

I don't regret having had the dental work done, but to treat brain frog, the underlying condition has to be corrected.

In our case it is withdrawal syndrome due to the down-regulation of our receptors, and time is the only cure of which we are aware." p46

nz11

Gee I can't believe that Dragon just spelt fibromyalgia !

later...wow Baylissa said ...

"I hesitate to use the term 'depression' to describe… protracted withdrawal"  pg48 (I hate that word too).

oh but then she says .." But if you do think you are depressed, that's okay too. Whatever the terminology used, it is a normal reaction to having to endure such intense symptoms, emotional numbness and feelings of disconnectedness."

okaaaay!

Personally for me I don't like that word. So maybe we just agree to disagree here.

Anyway.. I think I will have trouble putting this book down she's doing a great job.

Gonna keep going the edit window hasn't closed on me yet...

Under paranoid ideation in withdrawal she says

"The person may read negative meanings into innocent remarks, perceive some form of threat or persecution, or have delusions that others are plotting against him or her. There is an expectation of being harmed or exploited and the person is hypersensitive to any form of criticism." p49

This is spot on and how it was for me too. At the time I didn't know that this was withdrawal. I just knew I was thinking rubbish and couldn't understand it. 

"Accepting that the symptom is present and that it is a result of temporary changes in the brain can help with coping. Also, being able to detach and observe any thoughts of perceived threats while acknowledging that they are irrational should prevent inappropriate retaliatory behaviour."

Under obsessive and unwanted thoughts she says "I am aware of individuals who are told they had OCD only to later confirm that it was just a withdrawal symptom. The thoughts were induced by the reversible receptor damage – triggered by temporary neurological imbalances – and faded as recovery progressed without medication or other treatment.

Despite knowing that an obsessive, unwanted thought has surfaced because of withdrawal, it can be difficult to accept it and not resist. Because it invades the mind and crowds out other thoughts, it can be very upsetting. Fighting the thoughts will not cause them to go away; attaching additional fear to the idea of having them or to the content will intensify them. Accepting them as a symptom and acknowledging they are false is the first step.

Then comes the mantra: "This is due to withdrawal; it's not me" ."

"Some people use what is known as the 'thought stopping' process where they say a firm 'stop' in their heads and distract themselves with an activity such as a puzzle or word game. They do this to interrupt the obsessive process, not to stop thinking, and so there is no resistance. Others simply refocus and, if the thoughts are out of character, switch to another thought: 'I would never choose to have these thoughts; this is all withdrawal related.' They then gently introduce an affirmation or self talk such as: 'my mind is sound and I am well.'

I don't want to breach any copyright so I will stop now.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
You're doctor is rare. I would guess though that your doctor has been very fortunate and no doubt been receiving professional development from yourself.

Actually, no, I just told him about my withdrawal problems and plans to slow taper.  He did mention that some of his other patients had also had some trouble with getting off ADs.  He's a great doctor, very open-minded and compassionate, I am lucky to have him.  I think if I had a doctor that wasn't supportive of slow tapering, I'd just say I was staying on the AD to keep getting the prescriptions, and slow taper without letting him know.  It's not ideal to be dishonest with your doctor, but in some cases could be necessary.  Of course, this wouldn't work with liquid, you'd need to do the scale method, or try to make a DIY liquid.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey NZ, if you've moved to Aussie then that would explain why you may not have got an email from me yesterday?  It was info about NZ happenings, so may not be relevant now... email me if you want the info.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

My favourite/best subject at school was 'eating my lunch'

but lets just pause for a moment, take a deep breath and consider a taper of one thousandth of a mg per month.

0.001mg per 1 month,

is the same as:

1mg per 1,000 months (83.3 yrs)

therefore

20mg per 20,000 months (1,666.6 yrs!!)

Maybe she meant one thousandth of a mg per week

then

0.001mg per 1 week

is the same as

1mg per 1000 weeks (19.2yrs)

therefore

20 mg will take 20,000 weeks (384 yrs).

Oh, jeeze...:)

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Amyk somehow i think Kelly might be a lot older than she looks!! ...a lot  lot older.

Recovering paxil addict