Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

ZK2015

Hi,

I'm trying to make my own liquid Prozac to start tapering, I emptied five 20mg capsules in 100ml of distilled water and shoke it well but the powder doesn't seem to dissolve in the water, is that normal?

SquirrellyGirl

Apparently it is the filler in the Prozac that doesn't dissolve.  See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/?hl=prozac

I would advise using a container with a screw top that you can shake really hard to wet the powder so that it will at least be IN the solution and not floating around in clumps.  Then, be sure to shake really well right before drawing up your dose. 

I like these tubes for this purpose because they have hash marks for measuring, and have the screw cap so you can shake really well:

http://www.amazon.com/Karter-Scientific-Centrifuge-30x115mm-Conical/dp/B005Z4S3ZU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459558983&sr=8-2&keywords=50+ml+conical+tubes

SG

januaryeve

Altostrata:

Question about a statement on one of your posts about tapering off Prozac:

If you are very sensitive to variations in dosage, this method will not be precise enough for you to control your taper.

I am planning on tapering off Prozac by the 10% reduction method. I have already finished tapering--as of several years ago--down to one 20 mg capsule PER WEEK. My husband is looking into using a scale to help me do this. My physician wants me to go from one capsule every seven days to one every 8 days, 9 days, etc., which I have no intention of doing as from what I understand, and my experience, it is not recommended.

For our planning purposes, what does your statement, above in red, mean? Are you saying the scale method won't work? It seems like it would be rather precise, although my husband is looking into that.

I already asked my doctor about using a compounding pharmacy. He didn't respond, but said "we will use. . . " (the method I mentioned above).

I am afraid to ask him again, because I don't want to try to explain to him all the information he is lacking, because I am not a technical person, he might be annoyed, and he might not agree even if he read about it. I just want to do it without him, if that is possible. He is a super nice person, but he doesn't understand psychoactive drug withdrawal.

Thanks for your help.

januaryeve

altostrata:

In relation to my previous post (3/8/2017), my husband says we need a scale that goes out one more place. I'm going to look for one.

ChessieCat

Post #1 in this thread, about 1/2 way down, mentions liquid Prozac and also making your own liquid.

januaryeve

Thanks, Chessie Cat. I'm going to go with a scale and capsules rather than Iiquid.

figured out that altostrata's statement about lack of precision referred to the method of dividing the dosage by hand, for instance on a piece of paper with a razor, rather than to weighing it on an electronic scale. So now I think the digital scale method has a good chance of working for me.

I should have read more carefully first!

Alpha23

Does anyone know if liquid Prozac made from a dissolved capsule could potentially irritate the esophagus? I'm making my own liquid at the moment but have to drink a lot of water to erase the bitter aftertaste. Does anyone think gelatin caps would be a safer method?

Newbeginning

Does anyone know if liquid Prozac made from a dissolved capsule could potentially irritate the esophagus? I'm making my own liquid at the moment but have to drink a lot of water to erase the bitter aftertaste. Does anyone think gelatin caps would be a safer method?

It tastes bitter and awful so could possibly cause acidity and indigestion of different types. What do you mean by gelatin caps? Just taking the capsules without opening them?

Have you looked into compounding pharmacies in your area that can just make any dose you need? Is the liquid Prozac not available in your country? Where are you located? 

Alpha23

By Gelatin caps I mean filling empty gelatin capsules with Prozac powder to avoid the bitter taste of the homemade liquid. Of course I would need a very sensitive digital scale to weigh out the correct doses. Unfortunately compounding pharmacies and liquid Prozac are not an option where I am :(

BilboBaggins

About the part where it says that one should use a container with a special lid that you can get down an oral syringe through. Why? Can't I just keep my solution in a container with a normal lid, shake it and then open the lid when I want to take out some of the solution? :) Or will that ruin it?

scallywag

BilboBaggins - Alto's comment about a special cap that has a hole for an oral syringe was in response to a member's question about her commercially prepared Prozac liquid.  The cap is an option not a requirement.  You can use your own container and lid.

BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins - Alto's comment about a special cap that has a hole for an oral syringe was in response to a member's question about her commercially prepared Prozac liquid.  The cap is an option not a requirement.  You can use your own container and lid.

Ok, great, thx a lot for such a quick answer! :)

Edit: Just one more thing; I think I'm gonna go with the commercially prepared Prozac liquid as well, and see if I can tolerate it. Is it still just an option to use the special cap, or a must for the liquid not to be ruined?

Alpha23

"According to http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Fluoxetine , fluoxetine and norfluoxetine inhibit each other's metabolism, extending the half-life of the drug. Because the half-lives are so long, the full effect of Prozac on the brain may not be felt for several weeks."

One thing I've always wondered about Prozac is the way in which its long half-life delays the effects of dosage changes. Would anyone agree that side-effects are felt first and therapeutic effects felt later, which is why increasing your dosage can make you feel worse before you feel better? I think this distinction between the timing of side effects and therapeutic effects is significant because it makes judging the true effect of any dosage change almost counter-intuitive. I know this could be said of almost all the SSRIs but I think it is particularly pronounced with Prozac.

scallywag

...I think I'm gonna go with the commercially prepared Prozac liquid as well, and see if I can tolerate it. Is it still just an option to use the special cap, or a must for the liquid not to be ruined?

The idea with the cap may be either convenience or contamination prevention. You'll have to get the liquid from a pharmacy, ask the pharmacist. Make him/her work for the dispensing fee. ;)

rapunzel2

has anybody experienced weight gain while withdrawing from Prozac? I've reached 4mg and I've started to gain weight :( trying to understand is it because of prozac or seroquel withdrawal..