Songbird

Excel spreadsheet to calculate dose weights using a scale

Songbird

Admin note: Also see Using a digital scale to measure doses, which explains more about the scale itself and how to measure small amounts on it.

Links:

how-to-calculate-dosages

Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations

nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Also see bottom of this post

If you are tapering using a scale, you will need to convert each dose to a weight so that you know what your scale should be displaying for the dose you want. The instructions are actually inside the spreadsheet but here is a little more detail:

1. Enter the dose of one whole pill in the orange cell (e.g. if your pills are 20mg pills then type in 20, or if your pills are 10mg pills then type in 10). Press tab.

2. Enter the weight of one whole pill - after calibrating your scale, making sure it is in 'gram' mode, weigh one pill and type the weight in the turqoise cell (e.g. 0.336). Press tab. (Note: some people like to weigh several pills and take an average in case the weights of the pills vary).

3. Enter the percentage drops you want to do for your taper in the green cell (e.g for 10% type in 10, for 5% type in 5). Press tab.

4. Enter the starting dose for your taper in the yellow cell. (For some people this will be the same as the dose of one whole pill above, if you are currently taking one whole pill as your dose.) Press tab.

The spreadsheet will now calculate your doses and the corresponding weights for your taper. For whichever dose you are dropping to (in the yellow), your scale should say the number in turquoise next to it. i.e. that's what you are aiming for when you cut and weigh your pills.

The spreadsheet has been protected so that you can only type in the cells you need to enter data into. This is to prevent you messing it up by accidently typing other places! I hope this makes some sense. Any questions, just ask.

Dose_weights_SA.xlsx

Dose_weights_SA.xls

Edited by ChessieCat
added note-Alto/CC added links

Altostrata

Thanks so much, Songbird.

Please note you will need Microsoft Excel or some other program that can read Excel spreadsheets to use this tool.

Songbird

If you don't have Microsoft Office, you can download Open Office which is similar to MS Office and can open MS Office files, but it is FREE.

Songbird

I have included a second worksheet for those who are doing drops of so many mg rather than a percentage.  If you are doing, say, 0.5mg drops, you enter this is the green cell.  The only problem with this method is that with the same drop each time your percentage drop gets bigger and bigger, so you really need to reduce your drops as your dose gets lower.  The spreadsheet shows you what percentage each drop is so you can see when it will start to get too high.  When you want to change your drop you can create a copy of the worksheet, change the drop amount and enter your current dose as the starting dose.

ladybug

Hi LB,

Thanks for the quick response, so what does it actually show or do when you said it wasn't working. Just in case it doesn't measure the weights accurately. But you are right, the price is quite affordable but I need to pay more coz I live in Australia. But it's ok as long as it does iit's job. Thanks you once again LB, good luck on the taper.

When it's stops working as well, the weight readings bounce around frequently. I weigh the pill pieces with the calibration weight on the pan as this puts it in the middle of the weighing range which is supposed to help with accuracy. The calibration weights are usually 10g so I try to get it to read as close to 10g as possible. I will usually accept +/- .002g and then adjust my pill weights accordingly. But, when it starts reading much more than that, say 10.010g and frequent calibrations, new batteries, etc. don't help then I give up and order a new one. My very stability depends upon this scale so I need it to be accurate as possible. I hope this helps. And if you have any questions when you receive the scale, I'll be happy to help you!

Jlynn

Is there a spreadsheet for tapering 10% using the liquid Paxil? I know there used to be one on PP and I can't find one online anywhere! If I was smarter with Excel I would create one but I am not :( 

Songbird

I don't think you would need a special spreadsheet for that.  How many mg per ml is your liquid?  You could probably use the weight column as a ml column.

Songbird

It is 10 mg / 5 ml for the paxil liquid. So if I were to taper to say 16.2 mg how many ml would that be? I am so bad at math and my brain is swiss cheese at the moment!

You can use the weight column as a ml column.  So enter 10 in the gold cell, then enter 5 in the turquoise cell.  Are you currently taking 20mg?  So you would enter 20mg in the yellow column. 

Using the percentage drop from the green cell (e.g. 10%), your dose drops will be shown in the pale yellow cells.  You can then use your syringe to measure out the doses shown in the pale turquoise cells.

Try this and you'll see that to get a dose of 16.2mg you'll need 8.1ml liquid.

Faye

Thank you for posting this advice I've found it extremely helpful. X