• Announcements

coldturkmama

Coldturkmama: paxil 14 years, cold turkey, protracted withdrawal.

321 posts in this topic

I'm another refugee from PP....I was so shocked when I logged in and found it gone! Very upsetting.  I found a few people whose names I recognized from PP so that was nice. 
I'm currently in month 14 of my cold turkey WD.....I was too far out when I found out I should have tapered....PP was a wealth of information and support for me and reading the uplifting posts that "This too shall pass" was so encouraging in the thick of things.  I am here if anyone needs an ear, wants to ask what my experience has been like, etc. My name is Gina and I am from Canada :)

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Hi Coldturkmama and welcome. Thanks for starting a topic here in the Introductions and Updates forum, I added your member name to the title. You may wish to bookmark it for easy reference (some members also put a link to their first post in their sig like I have), that way you can find your topic from any recent post you have made that you can see in the forum list. And thank you for providing a sig, too!

You can keep us updated about your progress in your topic and post here any questions you may have that are particular to your situation, they will be more visible here. Have you seen our Symptoms and Self Care topic? Lots of helpful info there especially in the pinned topics at the top.

I hope you find everything you need here and I am sure the other members will benefit from your experiences. I went cold turkey too and I would never recommend it to anyone, it is rough going. Hope you are doing better than I at 14 months. My real destabilization did not come until 12 months and it is just now starting to let up at 2 years off.

(If you need help and want to do it, I may be able to help you find some of your content from the other site. Just PM me.)

Hi, coldturkmama. I would be very interested in hearing more of your story. I didn't (quite) quit cold turkey, but I tapered much too fast off Zoloft (from 100 mg. to 0 in about 6 weeks. I have been off for 5 months now, but my withdrawal symptoms did not start until about a month later. By the time I found this site, it was pretty iffy whether I would be able to reinstate, and I decided not to risk making the akathisia worse. At this point for me, some things seem to be somewhat better, but I fear some may be getting worse.

Hi there. I also tapered much to fast off paxil. From 20mg to 0 in 2 months. It has been 5 and a half months and I am still suffering pretty badly. I am also afraid that it will get worse. I tried reinstating 1.2 mg a few weeks ago but it is causing issues so I recently dropped to .9 mg and will taper off that starting in mid Feb. Welcome to the group.

Hey there. Like the others I am almost six months into this situation. I tapered waaaay to fast.

We would all like to hear about how it went for you. :)

Hi Gina-- I'm so glad you found us and this wonderful site.  There are a whole bunch of us PP refuges here and they are making us feel quite welcome.  The site is set up a little differently but there is a ton of information and even more support.  Hope you're doing well and are all set for the Holidays.

Hey again guys :) I too didn't realize the dangers of cold turkey....but I knew that the paxil was no longer working and I didn't want to continue taking it.

I quit and had no withdrawal for about six weeks I would say, but when it kicked in, woah!! I sat I bed for a week feeling like I had the flu...cold, shaking, anxious, stomach issues, etc. I also had horrible pains in my legs that left me in tears.

Finally that settled and I was began having some obvious patterns of windows and waves which I didnt know was possible until digging around online and finding PP.

I remember March being very very bad for me....six months out...probanly the worst time so far.

Eventually that passed and slowly things keep getting better but this whole thibg feels like four steps forward and five back...almost like someone building a jenga puzzle and so.eone keeps taking a piece from the middle lol

I had a bad wave in August that seemed to last almost two months. I also ha e had lots of head pressure at times where it feels lime so.eone has a vice on my head.

Right now (and I dont know how common this is) it feels like things can change from day to day or hour to hour. I feel pretty good here lately...God is good.

Yes, He is. :)

Glad you are feeling good lately. I am at the six month mark at the end of Dec and I think I have more bad days then good. Right now the pain in my legs is so bad I have spent the entire day on the couch. The muscles actually pop. I hope I will start to better soon.

Glad you are feeling good lately. I am at the six month mark at the end of Dec and I think I have more bad days then good. Right now the pain in my legs is so bad I have spent the entire day on the couch. The muscles actually pop. I hope I will start to better soon.

I have a lot of back pain and regular aches and pains now that I had thought was arthritis but am pretty sure it js withdrawal related. In the new year I am going to quit coffee ( I quit for six months during the worst of WD) and get healthier...walk more etc. I gained a lot of weight on paxil...lost 20 lbs so far just from quitting. ..but still have 50-75 I could stand to lose.

Glad you're doing better!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Welcome, ctm.

Very good to hear your withdrawal symptoms are abating.

I have a lot of back pain and regular aches and pains now that I had thought was arthritis but am pretty sure it js withdrawal related.

Good to see you over here Coldturkmama, I remember you from pp. I did not CT, but I've also had back pain issues, and other aches and pains, it's hard to know if it is w/d-related, as I suppose I might have had them anyway, but I do believe w/d exacerbates these things. Anything involving inflammation seems to flare up in w/d.

Christmas Eve I could feel myself feeling like a wave was coming. Does anyone else feel that way, like there is a shift in the way you are feeling and you just know a wave is around the corner??

Compared to last year and what I was going through, these newer waves are different and not as bad as in the beginning thats for sure, but they are uncomfortable and hard to go through.

How is everyone else doing?

Sorry to hear you had a wave on Christmas Eve. I feel like I live in one, but I'm not nearly as far along as you are..

Hope your wave ends soon. What kind of symptoms are u having?

Sorry to hear you had a wave on Christmas Eve. I feel like I live in one, but I'm not nearly as far along as you are..

Hope your wave ends soon. What kind of symptoms are u having?

Right now an inner restlessness, pain in lower back, bad pain in my right hands fingertips, anxious (but not horribly so)...cold/tired...

14.5 months out..big improvement from other waves so I am glad of that.

Well, I'm so happy you have improved!!! That is really really good. I am cold constantly, I took my temp, it runs about a degree lower than normal now. The inner restlessness is difficult to deal with, I hate it.

I have body sensations that really stink. They are the worst besides intrusive thoughts.

Well, I'm so happy you have improved!!! That is really really good. I am cold constantly, I took my temp, it runs about a degree lower than normal now. The inner restlessness is difficult to deal with, I hate it.

I have body sensations that really stink. They are the worst besides intrusive thoughts.

Yes intrusive thought's are terrible. ..keep fighting this, it will pass.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Hope u feel better SOON!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Hope u feel better SOON!!

Thanks you too!

I'm another refugee from PP....I was so shocked when I logged in and found it gone! Very upsetting.  I found a few people whose names I recognized from PP so that was nice. 

I'm currently in month 14 of my cold turkey WD.....I was too far out when I found out I should have tapered....PP was a wealth of information and support for me and reading the uplifting posts that "This too shall pass" was so encouraging in the thick of things.  I am here if anyone needs an ear, wants to ask what my experience has been like, etc. My name is Gina and I am from Canada :)

Hello Gina-  I quit lithium, adderall and citalopram cold turkey 10 months ago after 10+ years of medication. I realize now I should have tapered but I think it's too late for me to go back-plus I think I am starting to have a few okay days in a row every now and again. Currently experiencing LOT's of pain right along my spine, intrusive thoughts and anxious obsessing.

Having a rough day- just knowing someone else is going through the 'cold turkey trot' makes me feel MUCH better. Thanks for your post and welcome!

Hello Gina-  I quit lithium, adderall and citalopram cold turkey 10 months ago after 10+ years of medication. I realize now I should have tapered but I think it's too late for me to go back-plus I think I am starting to have a few okay days in a row every now and again. Currently experiencing LOT's of pain right along my spine, intrusive thoughts and anxious obsessing.

Having a rough day- just knowing someone else is going through the 'cold turkey trot' makes me feel MUCH better. Thanks for your post and welcome!

I'm glad that it helps a bit :)  When I was in the first of it I didn't even know that's what it was!  I had a good month of YAY I feel GREAT off those pills and then crashed which was scary because I had no idea WD could hit that far out and that it is not uncommon, etc after 15 yrs of an SSRI.  

Thankfully I am having good days too and by the grace of God I know it will get better as my brain heals.  I am doing everything I can to help it heal now that I know things I can do (quit coffee just the other day, am eating healthier, starting to exercise, and have been taking a high quality fish oil)...I hope you feel better soon, that was so much to quit all at once.  

I'm glad that it helps a bit :)  When I was in the first of it I didn't even know that's what it was!  I had a good month of YAY I feel GREAT off those pills and then crashed which was scary because I had no idea WD could hit that far out and that it is not uncommon, etc after 15 yrs of an SSRI.  

Thankfully I am having good days too and by the grace of God I know it will get better as my brain heals.  I am doing everything I can to help it heal now that I know things I can do (quit coffee just the other day, am eating healthier, starting to exercise, and have been taking a high quality fish oil)...I hope you feel better soon, that was so much to quit all at once.  

How is everyone doing? 

I started a wave Christmas Eve and while it eases up by times, it's still been a rather rough one.  Head pressure GA-LORE, anxiety, stomach issues, feeling of unesay/restlessness....ugh ugh ugh!

I've got three kids to look after during it all, so this is NOT fun.  

I think the worst about the waves is how while you'r IN it you think, "This must be me, this can't be WD, I'm the problem, etc" and then you try to talk yourself around to "No, years of paxil did this to me, going cold turkey made it worse."  Then these GREAT windows open up  and you feel SOOOOOO NORMAL and you praise the Lord, you're FREE (for the moment) and WD seems so far away and then.............it isn't.

Anyone relate?

Yep... Absolutely! My "windows" are just "partial" windows, I guess you could say. Not normal, but much better than the bad waves. Had a couple of bad days (waves), then yesterday was one of the best days I have had yet. Today, not so much... So frustating the way things change from day to day!

ColdTurkey Mama... Your 14.5 months out right? I'm almost 11.... Question for you- are you still experiencing the same wave as Christmas? Do you know how long they last for?

ColdTurkey Mama... Your 14.5 months out right? I'm almost 11.... Question for you- are you still experiencing the same wave as Christmas? Do you know how long they last for?

Christmas eve started the wave...its more intense at times and then I'll get windows of time (maybe a few hours) where things arent as bad, but I believe this is the same wave since Christmas.

Yes, CTM, I relate.  10 months out CT Efffexor. 

Sucks so bad. What are your waves and windows like? Hourly...daily. ...weekly...or do you get good windows at all?

Hi there and welcome. Can you describe the leg pains? Mine were in the muscles--it felt like a burning anxiety attack in my legs. Hard to describe. I went to emergency because I couldn't stand it, but they treated me like a drug addict, wanting to enroll me in an addiction recovery program. That's because I said I drank for relief from intense agitation aka akathisia. Big mistake. No doctor was available. I believe Xanax or Ativan would have helped. I went home and suffered rather than play into that crazy scheme. I think I got it by using Straterra for a few days. It stopped after a few weeks of no meds.

Hi there and welcome. Can you describe the leg pains? Mine were in the muscles--it felt like a burning anxiety attack in my legs. Hard to describe. I went to emergency because I couldn't stand it, but they treated me like a drug addict, wanting to enroll me in an addiction recovery program. That's because I said I drank for relief from intense agitation aka akathisia. Big mistake. No doctor was available. I believe Xanax or Ativan would have helped. I went home and suffered rather than play into that crazy scheme. I think I got it by using Straterra for a few days. It stopped after a few weeks of no meds.

My legs hurt so much at the start...felt like major bone pain in my lower legs...just horrible ache...like a burn too..cried a lot but at that time I had no idea it was withdrawal.

I think the worst about the waves is how while you'r IN it you think, "This must be me, this can't be WD, I'm the problem, etc" ...  Then these GREAT windows open up  and you feel SOOOOOO NORMAL and you praise the Lord, you're FREE (for the moment) and WD seems so far away and then.............it isn't.

Anyone relate?

Oh, yes, even though I'm tapering not CT, I still ride this rollercoaster. "This must be the real me, this is what I'll be like off meds" (depressed, irritable, etc.). Then when I feel great it feels like the "real me", or the me I would like to be anyway, but then I worry that it is just hypomania from w/d. And after the high of the hypomania comes the big dip again...

I think the worst about the waves is how while you'r IN it you think, "This must be me, this can't be WD, I'm the problem, etc" ...  Then these GREAT windows open up  and you feel SOOOOOO NORMAL and you praise the Lord, you're FREE (for the moment) and WD seems so far away and then.............it isn't.Anyone relate?

Oh, yes, even though I'm tapering not CT, I still ride this rollercoaster. "This must be the real me, this is what I'll be like off meds" (depressed, irritable, etc.). Then when I feel great it feels like the "real me", or the me I would like to be anyway, but then I worry that it is just hypomania from w/d. And after the high of the hypomania comes the big dip again...

Try not to worry that it is hypomania....after all sooo many people have come out the other side of tjis and are living life the way it was meant to be lived and have beaten withdrawal. We will too!

Yes, we will!  I would take the hypomania permanently if I could, LOL!

Yes, we will!  I would take the hypomania permanently if I could, LOL!

I read up on hypomania and unless you ceel UP accompanied with restlessness and not needing much sleep, etc than its just a ni e normal window. We will beat this thing. Time heals! :)

LOL I'm sure we'd all take the windows from here on out if we could!

Sucks so bad. What are your waves and windows like? Hourly...daily. ...weekly...or do you get good windows at all?

Kinda 4 hour blocks.  Whenever I feel at my worst, I can be pretty sure that within 4 hours I will feel at the very least not as bad.  This morning, I had bit when I felt like dying; 4-6 hours later, I felt darn near normal.  So weird.

Kinda 4 hour blocks.  Whenever I feel at my worst, I can be pretty sure that within 4 hours I will feel at the very least not as bad.  This morning, I had bit when I felt like dying; 4-6 hours later, I felt darn near normal.  So weird.

So weird. I have odd patterns like that by times. Cant wait for this to be behind me.