Depression

serotonin

Beside the nutrientions i take such as omega 3, and eatibg healthy. And anti depressent like 5 htp and saibt john wort i also like to share how i fight with depression mentally!

Has anyone seen the tv series in-treatment?

Gabriel Bryne the star pschologist was doing ok on the fist seasom but by the end of the third season he was suffering from severe depression and all his pschologyist was worried that he might commte suicide!!!!

The analogy i am trying to make is at least for me depression did not happen over night. It was gradual and overtime it just got worse! And because i was on prozac it cleaned out my depressice feeling but at the same time i didnt have any happy once either.

Since now i am off the drug i realized that in order to fight depression and regain my happyness, i must do thing that counter the negative thinking that i have about myself. For example if i were to ask u? Is the apple sad or happy? And te usual answer i have is the apple seems sad, but now i realize the apple cant be sad or happy, it is all in my head, and if its all in my head how do i hange my brain so when i see an apple instead of thinking of it as sad and start thinking of it as happy? I have decided that i will not read anything that is sad, or watch anu sad movies, or horror movies. I will talk to happy people, be around happy people and think of everything in a positive light. And i also have scheduledd to watch funny comedy everyday! For example mr bean! I find him so funny!

However, i aldo know that since my mind is condition to think of sadness and failiure and blaming myself, it will not be easy to change my mind and how it relate to sadness, hence it will be a protrActed long battle and this is a battle that i must fight everyday! And eventually i will be able to recondition my brain!

Hi serotonin.

Do you take 5htp then? I thought that wasnt recommended after coming off ssris?

I think its great that youre working on doing things to fight depression. Comedy is good :)

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Hi, yeh but what else can i do? If i am not gettig enough sleep and sufferig from diabilitating anxiety at night that wakes me up 3 or 5 times!

I feel for you, I suffer the same problem. I can barely sleep at all at the moment.

Are there any side effects from the 5htp? I ask because I tried it once during withdrawal and felt worse the next day.

Ok phil i think ur sleep is more important right now! If i am u i would take 5 htp.

And i would first start at a lower dose, lets say u want to do 100mg, then 50 at around 6 clock and then 1hour before u go to be do another 50. Give it at least a week, and if symptoms does not improve go up to 200! And rememver to take it at night. This really helped me! Oh yeh in te mornig i meditate for 1 hour, i watch funny commedy for 1 hour. And whenever i feel tired or depressed i meditate or call a friend that sympayhetic :)

• Administrator

serotonin, you definitely are on the right track about putting your feelings in perspective and doing what you can to cheer yourself up.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

What a lot of us have found is withdrawal is much, much worse than plain old depression, and we're not afraid of mere depression any more.

If you can find the strength to deal with withdrawal syndrome, you can be confident you have nothing to fear from depression.

A lot of the techniques you use to cope with withdrawal syndrome can help you lead a mentally healthy life once you recover.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

so true, and after what i suffered through this couple of days I don't think any depression can really bother me again, but I also now realized depression is a slow process that eat at me everyday! SO everyday I watch at least one funny film!!! no scary movie, sad movie, or action movie, just plain old funny moive. BUt i will be honest, on some days even the funny films make me sad, and thats when i know i am hitting a depressed point!

• Administrator

Not to be a broken record (what the heck is that obsolete technology???), but truly, mindfulness can help: You recognize you're having a sad moment, and then you move your attention to something more pleasant, a physical activity, or something that requires your attention.

You change the channel. If John Nash can do it -- and he had hallucinations -- you can do it too!

I agree Alto. I've been practising that lately and it really helps. I turn my attention away from the intrusions - the stupid things my mind keeps focusing on.

Instead I focus really hard on the now, whilst feeling what I feel, good or bad.

• Administrator

Yay! Good for you, Phil. Whatever works.

• Moderator Emeritus

For what it's worth, apparently there's a treatment for depression that's more effective in both the long and short term than antidepressants (which are actually, as it turns out, when you look at ALL the studies and not just the ones the drug companies choose to publicize, not really effective at all).

And it's free and it makes you healthier than you were without it.

Good old exercise.

There's a little section about it in Anatomy of an Epidemic pages 344-347. Apparently in the UK doctors can write prescriptions for it! Wow, what a world, medicine that's not run by insurance companies whose highest priority is making a profit! (Those of you living in the SANE world have no idea how much those of us living in the US where health and dental care is a luxury only for people with lots of money, envy you. But I digress.)

I find I also respond well to light therapy--sunlight when it's available, therapy lights when it's not.

For me, exercise is also the most powerful sleep treatment.

For me personally one of the most powerful treatments for depression is to walk every day in the sunshine, if I can, 45 minutes or so. When it's too hot in the summer I exercise in the gym and try to get out in the sun each day for a little while to do some gardening or something. I think it works even if you sit in the shade, as long as you look at stuff that's in the sun so the bright light gets into your eyes.

I'm not having struggles with depression right now and the only really bad depressions I've ever had have been due to withdrawal from meds or due to taking them. So I don't know how it will go once I'm all the way off the Celexa. I'm hoping I'll be able to treat the depression, if it happens, with exercise and light. And maybe now I'll also add in, funny movies, and working with my thinking. If I start having those problems I will definitely be coming to you guys for support and advice.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Right, the worst that could happen with exercise is you get healthier and forget about your troubles!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy