SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Aeroman: Hello From Aeroman!

Steerpike

• Moderator Emeritus

I so hope you recover 100% after this cipro.  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, likewise from your SSRI wd issue.

I recovered 150% from SSRI w/d.  100% because I was back to my normal and 50% because I gained a new confidence and strength in myself.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

I recovered 150% from SSRI w/d. 100% because I was back to my normal and 50% because I gained a new confidence and strength in myself.

So nice to hear that! ^^^^

13 years of Ssri's - celexa, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft

2 fast tapers and 2 cold turkeys over the years

Psych med free since September 4th 2011 - fast tapered then CT'd 12.5 mg of Zoloft

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

I recovered 150% from SSRI w/d.  100% because I was back to my normal and 50% because I gained a new confidence and strength in myself.

That is exactly what I feel about this process; beautiful way to put it. ;)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

and it WILL happen to you imac and alex!!!  You've got this!

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, just checking in!  Today marks 7 months since I took my last 10 day dose of Cipro.  I got hit pretty bad on Month 5 with severe panic attacks, auditory hallucinations, intense fear/dread, poor sleep, and depression.

I feel better than I did at Month 5 but still have residual issues.  I've join a Cipro Toxicity Support Group on FB and it's good to read I am not the only one with the CNS issues caused by Cipro.  Issues I still have is bad sleep (broken sleep through the night), anxiety/adrenaline rushes, vertigo (comes and goes), some depression/brain fog.

The chronic nausea I had after finishing Cipro has pretty much resolved for the most part.  i am very optimistic this will all resolve soon!  Thanks for reading.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update Aeroman, I'm glad that the nausea has gone and that you are recovering well, it's great news.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

So glad to hear from you!!! Still crossing my fingers for all the rest to clear up for you!

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone, little by little. Like SSRI WD, recovery may not be a linear trend. I do my best not to measure it day by day but month per month or so. I got better sleep last night so hoping a trend continues. I remember after getting better sleep in Lexapro wd, I was on my way to recovery.

Hi Aero,

Glad to hear the news. Whatever Cipro did to me has cleared now. These floroquinalone antibiotics may be worse than ADs.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aero,

Glad to hear the news. Whatever Cipro did to me has cleared now. These floroquinalone antibiotics may be worse than ADs.

Thanks Chicken.  Remind me, what did Cipro do to you?  I profoundly believe that FQs are MUCH worst than ADs.  Not counting the physical adverse effects but the toll it does to the mind is horrid.  Never in my life did I feel FEARFUL & DREAD to the level it reached.  I am talking about that feeling like a kid coming out of watching the Exorcist movie, for example.  It wasn't just anxiety or panic attacks but auditory hallucinations and what a friend calls "mind chatter".  A lot of that has subsided and I hope it is a thing of the past now!  Scared the S___ out of me!  

• Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, I have a friend who does not believe in the "anecdotal" stories of people who've gotten floxed. She only believes in the peripheral neuropathy bc it is the only thing the FDA warns about.

Chicken and Aero, have you reported your experiences to the FDA?

I get so angry when I hear people blow off anecdotal evidence. Quantitative evidence is comprised of individual anecdotes. That is how it becomes quantitative. Also, we have become a society, in America anyway, that believes smaller quantities don't matter. Only large quantities matter. So anytime there are small quantities, or anecdotes, of people who have had some things that matter to them from medication, the rest of society doesn't care. Can you imagine if we continued treating gays an blacks that way? It's awful.

American society didn't used to care about racial, female, or gay minorities. Now it doesn't care about medically harmed minorities. Specifically, floxed are written off as crazy because nobody bothers to try to understand the brain symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

Seriously, we can't use the three letter word for homosexual on this website? Oh, well. Now that I know I will write out the whole thing in the future.

• Moderator Emeritus

Anyway, that is why it is ever so important for you people who have suffered and recovered from those antibiotics to report to the FDA, including the cognitive problems. If you do not report it, it will never go down in the paperwork, and people will continue not to believe it. Please report your brain problems because of antibiotics to the FDA.

Especially since you guys have recovered from the brain problems, your reports will be viewed as a credible. Those in the midst of the cognitive problems are treated as crazy people.

Hi Aero,

Thanks Chicken.  Remind me, what did Cipro do to you?  I profoundly believe that FQs are MUCH worst than ADs.  Not counting the physical adverse effects but the toll it does to the mind is horrid.  Never in my life did I feel FEARFUL & DREAD to the level it reached.  I am talking about that feeling like a kid coming out of watching the Exorcist movie, for example.  It wasn't just anxiety or panic attacks but auditory hallucinations and what a friend calls "mind chatter".  A lot of that has subsided and I hope it is a thing of the past now!  Scared the S___ out of me!  

I had all that and more in Effexor wd. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  About 1% report to the FDA.  And many do not make the connection between their issues to FQs until much later.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aero,

I had all that and more in Effexor wd. 

You had the dread/fear stuff?  Sucks doesnt it!?

Hi Aero,

Cipro reacted with the Remeron I was taking. I was never able to stabilize on Remeron after the Cipro. Ended up in the hospital with suicidal anxiety and had to switch to Nortriptyline and Zyprexa to get off the Remeron.

I've completely weaned of the Zyprexa and Tranxene. I'm currently tapering the Nortrip now. I know the Cipro did it because I had no problems with Remeron before.

Of course no one (ie. doctors) believes me about the Cipro causing Remeron to go haywire, except for my mom. Doesn't matter what they believe, because I know what happened in my head from that stuff. I will take death from the infection before I will take Cipro again.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Sadly, I have a friend who does not believe in the "anecdotal" stories of people who've gotten floxed. She only believes in the peripheral neuropathy bc it is the only thing the FDA warns about.

I get so angry when I hear people blow off anecdotal evidence. Quantitative evidence is comprised of individual anecdotes. That is how it becomes quantitative. Also, we have become a society, in America anyway, that believes smaller quantities don't matter. Only large quantities matter. So anytime there are small quantities, or anecdotes, of people who have had some things that matter to them from medication, the rest of society doesn't care. Can you imagine if we continued treating gays an blacks that way? It's awful.

American society didn't used to care about racial, female, or *** minorities. Now it doesn't care about medically harmed minorities. Specifically, floxed are written off as crazy because nobody bothers to try to understand the brain symptoms.

No I haven't reported it. Is there a link to report these things?

I get the feeling they probably wouldn't believe it since there are no known drug reactions between cipro and Remeron.

I know people get floxed. I was visiting my grandmother at the nursing home and the nurse said her daughter had been floxed from Cipro and now had tendon problems.

I fear Cipro more than ADs because there are many stories of Cipro victims' brain problems being permanent. At least most people eventually get over AD withdrawal and brain problems.

Aero, touch base with Luv2nit. Her daughter got floxed and is dealing with that as well as her own withdrawal.

It's really sad because I'm having other health issues not related to the drugs and I'm afraid to go to the doctor because they may give a drug that makes things go haywire again.  I may die of a treatable problem because I fear any drugs that may trigger anxiety or akathesia again.

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aero,

Cipro reacted with the Remeron I was taking. I was never able to stabilize on Remeron after the Cipro. Ended up in the hospital with suicidal anxiety and had to switch to Nortriptyline and Zyprexa to get off the Remeron.

I've completely weaned of the Zyprexa and Tranxene. I'm currently tapering the Nortrip now. I know the Cipro did it because I had no problems with Remeron before.

Of course no one (ie. doctors) believes me about the Cipro causing Remeron to go haywire, except for my mom. Doesn't matter what they believe, because I know what happened in my head from that stuff. I will take death from the infection before I will take Cipro again.

It was 100% Cipro that caused your issues when you took Remeron.  That suicidal anxiety is horrid, very horrid.  My doc didn't believe Cipro caused me to be ansy.  I told him I was fine for a long time and now feeling anxious/depressed again after Cipro.    I know what you mean when you said "I know what happened in my head from that stuff".

• Moderator Emeritus

American society didn't used to care about racial, female, or *** minorities. Now it doesn't care about medically harmed minorities. Specifically, floxed are written off as crazy because nobody bothers to try to understand the brain symptoms.

No I haven't reported it. Is there a link to report these things?

I get the feeling they probably wouldn't believe it since there are no known drug reactions between cipro and Remeron.

I know people get floxed. I was visiting my grandmother at the nursing home and the nurse said her daughter had been floxed from Cipro and now had tendon problems.

I fear Cipro more than ADs because there are many stories of Cipro victims' brain problems being permanent. At least most people eventually get over AD withdrawal and brain problems.

Aero, touch base with Luv2nit. Her daughter got floxed and is dealing with that as well as her own withdrawal.

It's really sad because I'm having other health issues not related to the drugs and I'm afraid to go to the doctor because they may give a drug that makes things go haywire again.  I may die of a treatable problem because I fear any drugs that may trigger anxiety or akathesia again.

You can report it here:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/

Folks from the Cipro Toxicity page report that they get over the CNS issues between 12-18 months.  And mostly everyone recovers, not permanent...and that's coming from the moderator that runs that page.  I am very optimistic I will be fine but will take time.  I will get in touch with Luv2nit, thanks!

• Administrator

Aeroman, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

You've been mentioned in that forum several times.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

You've been mentioned in that forum several times.

Thank you!  I hope to post a success story soon.  Had a rough morning yesterday with panic/anxiety induced by Cipro but I am sure this hiccup will subside soon.  Thanks again!

I went to my doc due to infection. He gave me Cipro. A few days after, I felt like I was going to pass out/faint. That week, I had nausea and vertigo. The anxiety came about shortly after. Then on the morning of Christmas Eve, I got a heavy dose of racing thoughts with panic. I felt absolutely fine before Cipro so I am convinced it was that drug

Aero,

How are you doing now, after the Cipro?

I agree, folks should stay away from Cipro and the like drugs. Cipro (floxed) my antidepressant and ruined my taper. Have you checked out some of the "flox" stories out there on the net? Cipro has permanently disabled people. It may be more dangerous than AD's.

I'm glad it didn't hurt you anymore.

Hi Chicken, before Cipro, I was 100% recovered. I was doing absolutely fine. In fact, I forgot about Paxil Progress, where I used to live, because I was busy living life. I picked up where I left off before Lexapro. After the 3 year mark or so, I was feeling much much better.

I am 5 months post Cipro and got the real bad issues about a week and a half ago. My mornings are tough with depression, hard to get myself out of bed. And I have been getting some episodes of anxiety. I would say, the racing thoughts were the worst because I felt I was going crazy and scared the hell out of me when it first happened (caught me off guard).

All I am going to do is ride this out just like I did with the initial Lexapro w/d. I mean, not much else I can do.

Yes, I joined a floxed support group on Facebook and share the same issues with many there. A lot of them have issues with tendon stuff. I am ok in that department. The four main issues I had AFTER Cipro was the following:

1. Nausea (esp in the morning)

2. Vertigo

3. Anxiety

4. Depression

Sound familiar?! Yep, just like my initial SSRI withdrawal!

Just going to ride this out...thanks.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Yes, FQ Toxicity is very much like AD withdrawal!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, FQ Toxicity is very much like AD withdrawal!!

I've learned the hard way!

:( So sorry

Hello Aeroman,I m in the same boat,not from Cipro but from Amoxicillin.I m seven months out and also have all the CNS issues,depression/anxiety.We will go through it,but it is hard to accept: I just felt very stable in summer when I had to take it.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Aeroman,I m in the same boat,not from Cipro but from Amoxicillin.I m seven months out and also have all the CNS issues,depression/anxiety.We will go through it,but it is hard to accept: I just felt very stable in summer when I had to take it.

lg solida

Hi Solida, isn't it horrible?!  I looked up Amoxicillin via Wikipedia and it states, "Rarer side effects include mental changes, lightheadedness, insomnia, confusion, anxiety, sensitivity to lights and sounds, and unclear thinking".

Yep, sounds like we were affected by these medications!  Did you get the weird bizarre thinking too?  Racing thoughts?  Psychosis-like issues?

I agree with you - we will go through it but we just have to tough it out for now.  Many people have told me they recovered after a few months of this.  Some people had issues WHILE taking it and some people, like myself, got affected months AFTER taking it.

Aeroman, I'm starting month 4 of no meds. What month did you start to feel a little bit better. Please give me hope.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

When I took it I felt immediately kind of trapped in my bodyand had a stiff neck. But it hit me hard when I stopped after only 5days. I woke up with akathesia,anxiety and total confusion-then I knew that it went wrong .I have rácing thoughts yes but not the psychosis-like issues,but I had them during paxil withdrawal.

My main issues now are  exhaustion,morning anxiety,bouts of depression,muscle pain and this horrible feeling of a squashed head-just like it was in the beginning of withdrawal.And it stays with me pretty chewy.There  are no windows really.

I found many storys from people who reacted like this to all kinds of antibiotics,but they recovered more quickly.(Some also reported hallucinations)

I never ever had Problems with AD before withdrawal and I also had one 3 years ago during an surgery where I felt horrible after it,but nothing like this and I recovered in a few weeks.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman, I'm starting month 4 of no meds. What month did you start to feel a little bit better. Please give me hope.

Month 4 is when it started to get very bad. I felt some relief around month 10-12. I recovered between month 38ish and 42ish. You will too and maybe sooner. Hang in there. I know how hard it is

• Moderator Emeritus

When I took it I felt immediately kind of trapped in my bodyand had a stiff neck. But it hit me hard when I stopped after only 5days. I woke up with akathesia,anxiety and total confusion-then I knew that it went wrong .I have rácing thoughts yes but not the psychosis-like issues,but I had them during paxil withdrawal.

My main issues now are  exhaustion,morning anxiety,bouts of depression,muscle pain and this horrible feeling of a squashed head-just like it was in the beginning of withdrawal.And it stays with me pretty chewy.There  are no windows really.

I found many storys from people who reacted like this to all kinds of antibiotics,but they recovered more quickly.(Some also reported hallucinations)

I never ever had Problems with AD before withdrawal and I also had one 3 years ago during an surgery where I felt horrible after it,but nothing like this and I recovered in a few weeks.

lg solida

So we can relate my friend!  I have been experiencing akathesia, anxiety, etc like you described.  I have heard 12-month, 18 months, etc for recovery.  I mean, I know the drill but it sucks to go through it, AGAIN.  I too did ok on antibiotics before but it seems like we have hypersensitivity to medications (especially ones that affect our brains).  Yes, the hallucinations are weird and to be honest, frightening.

I am sure you will feel better soon my friend.

Be aware, though--the reaction to Cipro, or any other Fluoroquinolone antibiotic (Levaquin, Avelox, Floxin), more-than-likely had nothing to do with WD. This particular class of antibiotics is toxic. There are many warnings. The QVF (Quinolone Vigilance Foundation) has done their own research on the percentage of people who have a reaction, and I believe it was somewhere around 50%. These drugs were originally formulated as chemotherapy. Not only did my daughter suffer quite possibly permanent CNS damage 5 years ago at the age of 16, but two years before that, my husband was given FQ eyedrops during cataract surgery, and while overall he is better, still suffers from some symptoms. We had no idea what happened until our daughter was damaged by Cipro.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wishing you lots more healing, Aeroman!

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thanks everyone, little by little. Like SSRI WD, recovery may not be a linear trend. I do my best not to measure it day by day but month per month or so. I got better sleep last night so hoping a trend continues. I remember after getting better sleep in Lexapro wd, I was on my way to recovery.

I hope this happens with me. My sleep has actually gotten better for a week now. I am sleeping about 7 hrs a night.

I started ssris around 2000 sorry I cant remember exactly everything and when but i will try

Paxil from about 2000-2004 from 10 mg right up to 40 mg felt like it wasnt working

THen I have been on Celexa from 2004-2007, then well butrin and abilify was thrown in somewhere up until 2010

tried to c/t off celexa a few times could do it..

went on Cymbalta from about 2010-2012 then had gastric bypass surgery so i wasnt absorbing it very well

2012-2014 went back to celexa then slowing between july 2013 and april 2014 weaned about 1 mg a month

last dose taken was April 2014 And havent really felt that bad at all.. until recently 9 months out and wanted to start college i think this sent me into a wave...i suffered 2 strokes in the small part of my brain in around 2010 but they arent exactly sure when by the time we found them. I had c/t off my meds at that time and was given a triple dose of birth control pill to take for a few months ( so we think that could have caused them)..