nz11

New Zealand members, please check in here

nz11

Doesn't appear we have a 'NZ members check in here' post...so here it is!

Please post below if you live in New Zealand.

Connecting our members geographically will enable

Face-to-face meetings or phone contacts for those of you who wish to meet
    Support groups
    Sharing information about doctors, clinics, compounding pharmacies, etc.
    Organizing to educate physicians, hospitals, and university professors
    Organizing to contact members of local and national government
    Research by New Zealand researchers

Even if you don't wish to do any of the above, if you are in New Zealand, please check in here.

Please also click the Follow This Topic button at the top right so you will receive notices about others posting here.

AND -- if you've haven't introduced yourself to the rest of the community yet, please go to our Introductions and Updates forum and start a topic for yourself. You can post updates to your Intro topic to track your progress.

Edited by Altostrata
edited to read 'New Zealand' researchers

Altostrata

Thanks, nz.

nz11

Five things you could consider doing are

1. Write a letter of complaint to your local MP,

2. Write a letter of complaint and story to CARM (Centre for adverse reactions manangement.)

Here is the adddress:

Dr Michael Tatley
Director NZPhvc
CARM
P O Box 913
Dunedin 9054

3. You can also complain to your areas overseeing  Health Board Trust.

4. Make a complaint to the HDC (Health and Disability Commissioner).

5. You could also make a complaint via Medical misadventure against your prescribing doctor. (To do this you will need to go to your new doctor and get form ACC45 and ACC 2152 form completed and sent off)

Doing such things can be stressful and i am aware that not everyone wants to do this...i have met such people. However we have a right to complain 'silence is not acceptance' . Also if one sees it as a moral obligation then it takes the focus off self.

Writing to your MP will result in a standard letter being sent back to you.

Writing to CARM will result in a polite acknowledgement letter being sent back to you.

The HDC will dismiss it as their legal department will write to you and say 'these drugs do not cause the issues you describe' .

And we all know what ACC are like.

However if enough people do it then it at least it gets eyes seeing the stories and surely eventually the penny will drop! If you dont feel emotionally able to do all these then would you at the very least write to your MP. Dont worry no one is going to come chasing (dont forget we are the victims here) you with a stick. You will simply receive a standard letter in the mail.

nz11

Here is a little piece of info i dug up .....the HDC will dismiss your complaint and say 'these drugs do not cause the issues you describe'

Yet check this out,:

In 2013, in Minnesota America, a petition was launched to investigate the psychiatric drug induced death of Dan Markingson (being the tip of the ice-burg in terms of pharma deaths and injuries) within one month they had 2,500 votes…. So what?  you might well say,… well guess what … one of those who signed the petition was of all people the ‘former Health and Disability Commissioner of New Zealand. How strange, their words and actions seem to be rather  contradictory. (Perhaps my complaint letter was not the only one they received in 2012?). It seems pretty clear to me that the right hand already knows what problems these poisons cause, even though the left hand never concedes anything. This is true not just for the HDC but also for [put your doctors name here].

This could be sent to them or variations there of!

MollyN

Hi nz11, thanks so much for posting this info. I'm feeling increasingly angry about this entire topic, I'm not quite at the stage of actively contacting someone, but the idea is certainly growing in my mind! I guess I'd like to be off this blimmin drug so I can say 'it was terrible and took so long and now look how normal I am' ;)

KarenB

Hello fellow Kiwis,

I am living in Raglan, and am fairly new to this site.  Is very cool to find a NZ group here:-)  All the people I bump into on my blog (about healing) are from overseas.   

nz11

http://medianet.com.au/releases/release-details?id=839212

Oops i haven't checked this thread for so long....thanks for checking in KarenB and MollyN

The above link is regarding a class action litigation being taken against pharma. in Australia triggered no doubt by the study 329 restored findings.

For some reason i cant copy and paste in here so shall type some out.

Antidepressants and suicide risk 18 Sept 2015. D S Lawyers; Sydney

Aropax/paroxetine; zoloft/sertraline; prozac/fluoxetine/lovan/erocap/zactin; fluvoxamine/luvox/faverin ; cipramil/talohesal/citalopram; venlafaxine/ effexor

Class Action and your rights

1. Australian and international researchers have discovered that antidepressant drug have been marketed to doctors on the basis of flawed research that downplays the risks of suicide and other serious side effects and the manufacturers have used selective research to show the drugs are effective in treatig depression when in fact they are not.

2.Drayton Sher Lawyers is putting together a team of lawyers to prepare a compensation claim against the manufacturers of these antidepressant drugs.

3. There are expert witnesses who are prepared to assist with such an action and will be retained to give evidence about matters including but not limited to : (a) the interaction between your genetic makeup and the drug and ;b.  the epidemiology of the drug.

4. If you have been prescribed any of the above named ads and have suffered suicidal feelings prolonged side effects or other dangerous side effects then you should contact us because we may be able to help you with a damages and compensation claim against the manufacturers of these products.

5. By registering with us, everything that you tell us will be treated as strictly confidential and will be covered by solicitor client privilege.

6. We urge you to take this opportunity to see wrongs against you put right and to claim what is justly yours.

Contact T 02 8259 4513 or alison@draytonsherlawyers.com.au

Lets hope this manages to make its way across the Tasman.

This would be great info to give to your local MP at the very least.

KarenB

Kinda makes me want to move to Australia - just reading those words felt amazing.  People taking it seriously!!  A very classy class action. 

nz11

Fellow Kiwis i have emailed the aussi law firm regarding the possibilty of kiwis joining the aussi class action suit.

Today 12 Oct 2015 I have  received an email with a form attached to fill out and return.

They said nothing about NZ-ers participation so i  am going to fill it out and send it off . I suggest that others contact the firm and participate assuming we can until told otherwise.

My guess is this aussi firm is inundated with complaints.

KarenB

I'm going to do that too.

Also, for New Zealand women:  In Raglan there is a beautiful home called the Bryant Retreat.  It is an 11-day stay, six women at a time, and totally FREE.  It's for exhausted women, depressed, those who need a break.  You just need to get your doctor to put in a referral for you.  The staff cook all meals, do all washing etc.  There is no programme, just a beautful house by the water, and your own room, and time for rest and recooperation.  I've been there twice over the years, and completely recommend it.  They bring you breakfast in bed :D.

If your doctor doesn't know about it, get them to look it up.  It's been running for decades and doctors are supposed to know about it, but many don't.   

Love,

Karen

MollyN

Oh my goodness. What a special place, thank you

KarenB

I emailed that law firm a couple of weeks ago, but have received nothing back.  I'll send another one - wouldn't be surprised if they are swamped by responses.  Though I did say I was a NZer so maybe that means something?

nz11

I have become aware of another body to which a complaint can be made.

It is the NZ medical council.

It appears you complain to the HDC first and then go to the medical council when dismissed.

https://www.mcnz.org.nz/fitness-to-practise/making-a-complaint/

Also when the HDC dismiss your complaint you can take the issue to the Ombudsman.

So thats another two people the NZ council and the Ombudsman.

MollyN

Just emailed Drayton Sher lawyers in Australia to offer my services to assist with their class action (i'm admitted as a barrister & solicitor - not practicing currently) felt good to do something however modest :)

KarenB

Wow Molly, that's a cool thing to do.  I emailed them back their 'initial contact and history' form, but haven't heard back yet.  I imagine they are busy.  I replied to your thread this morning, but just as I posted it the site crashed.  Will try to write it again tomorrow.

nz11

KarenB has kindly provided me with the link for sending a complaint to CARM (centre for adverse reactions management) Dunedin .

You can do it online.

https://nzphvc.otago.ac.nz/report/

Wow good on you MollyN.

MollyN

Hey nz11, I do hope this legal action isn't dodgy, this is the response from the lawyers along with a spelling mistake in the title and ignoring the content of my email :)

"Pottential class action"

Dear Sir/Madam
We are still at the preliminary information gathering stages.

Whatever you have read please note that we are not advising clients to either cease or change any medication they may be taking – that is a matter between you and your doctors.

Can you complete the attached form and return to us either by email or post?  Where a question has no application to you just write N/A next to that question.

To assist us in meeting costs associated with obtaining the advice of a barrister and other initial costs relating to the potential class action, we will be asking for a small initial contribution from clients.  Once we receive the completed form we shall be in contact with you about this and will provide you with a relevant cost agreement.

Yours Sincerely

Tony Nikolic

...so they are asking for money, to be honest, I'm not sure if this is standard, but it did certainly make me wonder?

nz11

I think it may well be standard. 

I havent had this email ...be interesting to pop over to the aussi members thread to see if they have.

I guess they are running a business right.

That stuff in red is simply there so people dont panic when they realise they are swallowing dangerous chemicals and have been hoodwinked by people calling black white....We all know what happens when one goes CT.

I talked to a NZ lawyer about this and it would cost many tens of thousands to get a doctor  to court.And a class action suit would enable costs to be shared,  I guess its no different in aussi. And we are talking about GS-deep pockets- K.

Songbird

I seemed to have missed this NZ thread until now.

nz11

Hey Songbird thanks for landing on this thread.

Its a real honor to have you join us.

Songbird

While I'm here, I'll add something useful - if you are a New Zealander wanting to get liquid made for tapering, contact PCNZ (www.pharmaceutical.co.nz).  They figured out the formula to make paroxetine liquid for me, so if you need paroxetine liquid they already have the formula.  For other medicines, it might be a good idea to contact them first, so that if necessary they can figure out the formula they'll need to make it.  You'll also need to choose the concentration you want - I chose 1mg/ml so no conversion was required to figure out doses, and very small drops can be done with a 1ml syringe.  You'll need a prescription from your doc sent through to them to get it made up, and they can courier it to you.  I get three bottles sent at a time, but there's some new law about the maximum that can be sent at a time (500ml maybe?) so I'm currently getting three bottles each containing 150ml.  The bottles should be kept refrigerated, and the contents last six months unopened, and one month once opened.  It is not cheap, about $55 per bottle, but worth it if you need to do very small dose drops.

KarenB

Thanks Songbird for that info - and it's great to see you here too.  Not sure if there are any other NZ members we might be missing?  Oh, I've just noticed you have a blog too - will check that out today.  The title looks like it's right up my alley :P.

fancypants

Just dropped in to say Hi :)

KarenB

Hi Fancypants - glad you are here.

Songbird

Please check out this - the government is introducing new legislation to cover supplements and natural health remedies.  It would be great if we could all make a submission.  It is crucial that New Zealanders have the right to take responsibility for their own health and be empowered to choose the options that they think are right for them, and not be forced into pharmaceutical treatments. 

I haven't read all of this stuff yet - looks time-consuming - but I am happy if there are going to be controls on manufacturing quality and so on, as that will ensure safety.  What concerns me is OTC access to the range of supplements.  There is going to be a "permitted substances" list, and if it's not on the list, you won't be able to get it.  Valerian doesn't seem to be on the list, which worries me!

http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/regulation-natural-health-products-consultation

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/regulatory/PILSearch.asp

Consultation closes 5 Feb, which is not giving people very long to make submissions.  Looks like it came out in November, but I only found out about it today.  Bet you the government did that deliberately - put it over Christmas and New Year so it would get lost in the Christmas rush.

KarenB

Thanks Songbird,

There are other issues being pushed through over Christmas too - such as sea-bed mining.

I'll have a look at those links soon.  And the National govt says it doesn't want to be a nanny state!! 

KarenB

Hey - NZ and Molly - where are you guys? 

It's been a bit quiet round s/a lately without you NZ ;)

Hope everything is going okay for you both, and you are enjoying some summer-y-ness.  I guess you might still be camping Molly?

Hugs,

Karen

Alia02

Hi everyone, Im new. Im in Takaka, South Island, 2 hours from Nelson. Beautiful, but isolating when trying to withdraw. Will contact the various people Nz11 but brain too fried at present. Taking all my time reading this site. thats great Songbird to find out about www.pharmaceutical.co.nz).

Anyway, its great we can all help eachother.  :) 

KarenB

Takaka!  That is gorgeous.  I had a holiday there once and our house-bus had trouble getting over the huge hill... it was a really old one :)

Glad you are here,

Karen

Alia02

Yes, the hill...its more like a series of Mountains, it's so hard to get over. But once you get here, its Paradise. By the way, Raglan is pretty awesome also. Thanks for being there guys :)

KiwiBexonthenoffRemeron

Hello,

Just wanted to say hi from Bex up here in Auckland. I'm pretty new to sharing my story on this site. Nice to see some kiwis! I love some of the places you guys are from.... Raglan, Takaka. I've had some good holiday memories there.

Bex ????????

KarenB

Nice to hear from you Bex, how are things going with you at the moment?  Coping with this heat?

nz11

Hi Ali and Kiwibex,

If you feel you have been harmed by these drugs or not informed of the side effects, withdrawal difficulties or dependency then would you consider writing a complaint to those mentioned in post #3.

I've exhausted all avenues bar one at the moment so i need more people to keep the complaint baton tabled and alive.

Thanks

nz11.

KarenB

Contacts for New Zealanders:

Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youth services: (06) 3555 906 (Palmerston North and Levin)
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
• Samaritans: 0800 726 666 (available 24/7)

Alia02

Feel so bad today. Had a lovely gin and tonic yesterday as it was so hot. Dont normally have these. Today my depression is so bad all I can do is lie in bed. I wonder whether it affected my withdrawl? On days like this I really want to go to bed forever. 

KarenB

Incredible how alcohol (and some foods) can have such an effect on us.  Just rest as you need to, you'll gradually pull out of it again. 

I sent myself over the top yesterday by eating a chocolate muffin.  Gave me the same shakiness that coffee used to.  Where is the justice in that?!?!