Pugknows

Pugknows

Any words of wisdom from you would be welcome. I am 61 years old and have asked God to take me every day for a year. Guess he has other plans for me. Can't imagine it's a life full of suffering. I have to believe it gets better. It's all I have right now.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Hello Pugknows and welcome to SA!

I noticed the posts you made in other topics and fear you were falling between the cracks. I made you your own topic in our Introductions and Updates forum with one of them so you can tell us about yourself and ask questions. Please let us know how we can help you. This post I just made will bump your topic back up to the front page for a bit and I will also send you a personal message (that you will see the next time you log in) directing you to your topic here.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

All I can say, don't give up on God. Maybe your suffering won't last forever, tho sometimes it feels helpless. Hope you find some hope

Pugknows, so sorry you are suffering. I firmly believe God has a plan, and we don't always know or understand. We have to hold on to that, and believe He will see us through this. I don't really know what else to say, but I will pray for you.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pugknows,

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry you have been suffering.

Can I ask you to tell us a little of your story and fill out your signature.  Instructions on how to do that are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You will find us a helpful and friendly bunch who understand and empathise with suffering

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hello Pugknows,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering. I am pretty new here and I have got so much comfort and support already. It is a wonderfully supportive community. I'm sure that you will get lots of support to help you through this difficult time.

Try to take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. You are very welcome here.

Warm hugs,

Tilly 

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I will fill out my SIG as soon as I emerge from the muck long enough to do so. Just feel so scared and sick right now. All I can do is follow others posting. I keep reading and learning. Just need hope since CT with no possibility of reinstatement.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Ok, do it however you need to.

Why 'no possibility of reinstatement' and from which drug did you CT?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

In August 2014 CT gabapentin 1500mg, ended up in ER. Six doctors told me just stop taking it. Tried to reinstate at 900mg. Still felt awful. Tried to taper off too fast. Family and docs convinced me to CT off 700mg Nov. 8, 2014. I felt the same taking and not. Awful!

Why were you taking gabapentin?

Prescribed by pain doc for spinal stenosis pain.

Had Spinal fusion surgery September 2013. Hospital put me on all kinds of meds. CT off all but gab and norco. Went to detox facility August 2014 to get off opiates.

Nobody told me to taper gab. Now look at me!

Ok, so you are still on the opiates? Why can you not reinstate a small amount of gaba to see if your wd symptoms are alleviated and then do a slow taper off that?

How can we look at you? You have yet to describe all of your symptoms.

Crying. I need help. Can someone direct me to a doctor in my area?

Not on opiates since August 2014. Not on anything since November 2014.

Sorry if I confused you. I am so messed up.

CW and everyone who is following me and giving me kindness. I am petrified.

Copy the information from your "About Me" page (in your profile) here to your thread.

Then you may want to look at the lists of doctors for someone in your area that might be able to help you. If you are seriously ill please get immediate medical attention. We are only volunteers here and are not qualified to give medical advice.

CW and everyone who is following me and giving me kindness. I am petrified.

Try to stay calm and let your feelings wash over you. Don't give in to them. They will pass. You have a lot of support here from people who understand. You are not alone.

Tilly x

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

Do you have a friend or a neighbour who can call in to see you? Maybe they could help you call a doctor?

(Most) doctors just seem to not know or not care that these drugs need to be tapered. I only have myself to blame, because I did it (much too fast taper) on my own. I can't imagine my doctor would be much help, though. After all, 4 doctors (at the same clinic) in 20 years, and not one suggested trying to get me off the AD I was put on for Chronic Fatigue! They just happily refill the prescription. I had no idea of the need to taper. I only tapered at all because I knew I was irritable after a few days without it, and I thought I would spare my family that!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

I don't have any fight left in me like all you brave souls. I am exhausted and feel so drugged even though I have no drugs in me!

My heart is beating so fast. I hear it whooshing in my head.

Hang in there, Pugknows. You may think that everyone is braver than you, but that's only because of confused messages that your brain is sending you. It's so hard not to believe your own brain when it is sending you hurtful messages.

Do you have anyone around you who can help you with seeing a doctor or any other part of this?

Circa 1995 put on Paxil; Tried various meds over the years in an effort to get away from Paxil's side effects

06/29/13 Switched from 30mg Paxil to 10mg Lexapro

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

02/27/15 300mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

May 2015: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

08/05/15: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, 30mg Paxil daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

I don't have any fight left in me like all you brave souls. I am exhausted and feel so drugged even though I have no drugs in me!

We have all felt this, lovely lady. You are as brave as any one of us. Can you think of anything to distract or relax you? Try to call on a neighbour, friend or family member. If I were closer, I would happily call around to hold your hand. x 

God bless all of you! I am crying now, mostly because I feel the love from all of you. It's just so so hard and I've been trying supplements, and walking, and reading posts...I've been trying so hard to be better. I really am trying!

Copy the information from your "About Me" page (in your profile) here to your thread.

so we know what we are dealing with. You can do it!

Hey there...

Just wanted to encourage you to put some info here, so the mods can help you. CW is trying to let you know how to do it in the above post.

I know you are scared, but you can do this. It's a terrible experince, but you CAN endure it. And, there is a lot of support here.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Pugknows just wanted to say I am cheering for you, please don't give up. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Bless you Sky. The sadness, depression, isolation from my family is really getting to me. I just can't inflict myself on them anymore. I have no life but staying in the moment to moment grip of withdrawal.

((Pugknows))  I just did some research on withdrawals from gabapentin and came across a site where there were lots of people who had a bad reaction to the withdrawal.  They consensus there is that it can take up to a year for the brain to reorganize and to get relief.  Some found relief sooner.  One post directed the reader to SA here. 

The main topic was that of supplementing with Magnesium to offset some of the withdrawal tho not everyone gets relief.  I know that Altostrata highly recommends taking Magnesium if you can tolerate it.  There is a thread on it in self care section.  I know that they suggested a particular type, but forgot to note it before I left the site. 

Don't despair that you will not recover!  We are wonderfully made to heal.  It just can take a long and painful journey getting there.

Praying for you.

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pugknows, I am so sorry to read that you are feeling so helpless. Many of us know the feelings you describe, lots of us have been there but found that recovery does happen. Some are still where you are and feeling just as desperate. It is cruel that they 'detoxed' you from the drugs and then had you quit the gab on top. 

I know that it feels like this will be forever but it will get better, you will start to have windows when you will feel some relief. It may be for just minutes at first, but that is just the start. Eventually the windows will be longer, and each time it will feel like torture when they close and withdrawal takes over again. You have to remember the windows, and right now remember how it felt before all this, before the drugs. When the symptoms are bad it is your brain and nervous system trying to get back to how they were.  Symptoms change daily because your brain is working on different areas. It is this that kept me going through some awful waves, just knowing that my brain is fighting to regrow and rebuild itself. It is called neuroplasticity and is amazing. 

Imagine you have grown a huge plant that climbs and is supported by a trellis. At first you have to tie the plant in and train it on the trellis. Then eventually they become one. Then you realise that plant doesn't need the trellis, it can grow by itself and support itself. So you yank away the trellis, just rip it away and the plant collapses. It will take time for the plant to recover and grow on it's own but eventually it will be as strong as it would have been. This is our Rhi's illustration and very apt for withdrawal.  Your brain is the plant, the trellis is the drugs. It will get better, in time you will heal. Take each day as it comes, get through that day. Don't think about the next one, today is enough to worry about. Come here whenever you like, we are all here for you and understand what you are going through.  Your son in law is a doctor? Maybe you could show him this site, especially the journals and scientific sources forums, where he can see the developments that have been made and the truth about psychiatric drugs is exposed. It might help him to understand what you are going through.

Here is the topic on windows and waves, I hope that you get a window open very soon. I wish I could give you a hug right now, you would get one of my special ones, I'm good at hugs if nothing else! 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery Edited by Petu
added link

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Pugknows.

Do you have any gabapentin left? Could you take perhaps 50mg or 100mg? This might help the withdrawal. Then, after a bit, you can taper off properly.

It comes in a liquid so you can take small doses, you could request a prescription from your doctor. See this topic for titrating gabapentin Tips for tapering Neurontin (gabapentin)

Here is information about fish oil and magnesium supplements, these may help, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Bless you Sky. The sadness, depression, isolation from my family is really getting to me. I just can't inflict myself on them anymore. I have no life but staying in the moment to moment grip of withdrawal.

I know what that is like, I have been there. 

Keep trying it does get better.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.