• Announcements

AmyK

AmyK: Intro about myself

762 posts in this topic

Hi.

I am a former member om Paxilprogress, and as many of the other members I was schocked when it suddenly closed. I am tapering zoloft since 2011. I started 25 mg in March 2011 and after two weeks went up to 50 mg. I started due to stressrelated tinnitus and the panicattacks that gave me.

But Zoloft was horrendous for me, and now later, I think I had an adverse reaction to it. I was zombieliked, felt suicidal, vomited and felt totally crazy. ((But the tinnitus got better.) So after downs and ups in doses (doctors told me to hold on) I started to drop for real in August same year. But now I was supersensitive. I tried to drop from 18.75 to 12.5 but got into heavy wd. So since 17.5 mg I have dropped by 5 percent of the previous dose, just enough to be able to function at work and at home. It has taken me 3.5 years! I feel better and better the more I drop.

Now I am down to 2.35 mg. I, on the whole, feel fine with my drops. On the lower doses I have felt almost nothing.

But I know I am super senstive, still. I have been able to (social) drink wine the last year with no issues. But last thursday I,stupidly, took my dose after two glasses, and the drank some more. Oh god...the day after I felt like I was in heavy wd. Akathasia, shaky, headaches. I think the wine blocked the zoloft out, like if I missed a dose (I have never ever missed a dose).

This made me feel really scared. This drug is so powerful, still on a low dose. I guess I just have to keep tapering... 

Nice to find a new community! :)

Amy

Welcome Amy ...yep i am another pp refugee.

hey sounds like you are onto it with a wise taper plan..wow 3.5 yrs of tapering that is another legendary taper you like some others from pp are writing the book on how to do it.

Sorry about this little set back ...

2.35mg to go , wow you are definitely in the home straight. Remember dont rush the finish line ..the turtle always wins .

Great going Amy. I think 2015 will be a great year for you ...i can hear the alcohol free celebrations even now.

Heaps of great resources here i agree we are so lucky to have SA.

Good to see you here Amyk!  

Hi Amy, welcome to SA.I am glad that your taper has gone well and that you are feeling much better for tapering.

It is a shame you had the setback, I tried a half glass of cider a few days ago and suffered the consequences but

it wasn't as bad as your reaction, I hope you are recovered now. I stopped effexor at about 1 mg and had awful

withdrawals, it is important for some people to taper right until there are no more reductions to be made. You 

and I are 2 of them! Some people manage to jump off much sooner but there is no way of knowing how it is

going to go until off, and the gamble just isn't worth it in my opinion! 

Could you put your tapering history in your signature for us? You will find instructions how to do that here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks for welcoming me. I thought I had my signature, will look again.

My taper has been really smooth the last year. But this! Last week's incident when I (probably) missed/blocked one dose out. I haven't felt so bad for long. This night I was soaked in sweat again (happened the night after the "missed dose" but not again until now five days after) and had head aches, and now in the morning I vomited (sorry!). What is happening to me? I am on day 18 from a drop by 6 percent. I have almost not felt the latest drops. I usually drop after four weeks.

Will this stabilize? I feel scared.

Hi Amy , sorry to hear you're having a dreadful time.      I had severe akathisia - it's the worst thing ever.

Your symptoms could definitely be a delayed reaction to the Zoloft decrease , even though you're 18 days in.    Withdrawal symptoms can set in months after

decreasing.    This WILL stabilize with time.   

If you can't stand it , would you consider going back to the previous dose?     Four weeks isn't a long time  at one level , and you may have rushed it.

Fresh 

Thankyou Fresh for your kind reply! I see what you mean, but I dont think updose is right for me. I havent done that in years. I have never felt like this after my small drops.

This thing is because of probably a "missed" dose. But I am overwhelmed it was such a strong reaction. Anyone experienced this? I am on such a low dose I thought I was almost done.

I feel quite anxious and panic is under my skin. Just want to get back to my "normal" wd me.

The last few mg seems to be a bit of a barrier for some.

I'd keep holding ...normally people hold for 4-6 weeks so i am sure it will settle down soon.

If you are tapering at 5% that is great tapering.

Maybe go slower at this stage. I think there is a thread on micro tapering.

Check out member 'ever' i think she has had trouble at this stage.She did a small updose to stabilize.

AmyK - this site recommends going really really slow for the last few mgs.  There is some really good info here - I have found the links for you, but also just now looking for some of the good posts that the mods have put on about it lately.   There are really sound reasons why many of us have trouble at the lower doses (when we think they are so small they shouldn't make a difference).  But they are seemingly, the very hardest to do.  I'm looking for the info right now - meanwhile a mod might come on and say it more sensibly than I.  :)

Thanks for the support! I feel really sick and beat my self up for my stupidity about drinking wine...But I also try to understand the reaction. Before this incident I hardly felt when I took my dose. Now the last days when I take my dose I have felt so brainfoggy, nauseous and like I was struck with a hammer. I just pray I will stabilize soon.

I tried to find those links about the last mg. Please post them if you find them, Ever!

Bugga - I can't copy and paste - damn Internet Explorer!   AmyK - basically, a study they did in 2004 found that the Serotonin Transporter Occupancy was about 80% when taking a 20mg dose and still nearly 50% at a 3mg dose.   Even at a 1mg dose, the occupancy was nearly 25%!  

Hopefully someone will put the links in here for you to the study, the graphs, and the discussion around this, but what it means is that those low doses are by far the hardest ones, and the dose you are on now is in the very hardest range from what I can see.   So SA encourages us to take those final mgs really really really slowly, and hold for much much longer.   

Hang on a minute Amy - I can point you to one or two of the threads where the links have been posted.

Can't find them at the moment AmyK - and I'm exhausted and a bit foggy now.   I'm sure someone will post the links when they see this.  Going to have to go to sleep now - it's 1.30am.   I hope you feel better soon....

Oh of course, Ever! Thankyou for your help! Good night!

Welcome, Amy. I am 6 months out from a MUCH too fast taper off Zoloft (6 weeks off 100 mg.), and it's pretty rough. Glad to see you're going the slow taper route. (I didn't know). Hope you get through this rough patch soon.

Thankyou, luv2knit (cute name)! Yes, i can totally understand that is rough. I feel so sorry for you. 

I can see that you take Krill oil. Did that change anything for you? All the best!

That's the link AmyK.   I didn't really understand it at first.   There's another link which really helped me understand (after a while lol).  It's in the Tapering Forum and is called:-

"A more complicated (perhaps precise approach to the 10% taper

Phenom started it on the 10th Jan 2015.   At the bottom of his first post in it, he has put a spreadsheet:-

'Occupancy Taper'.  

I had to study it a bit, but this spreadsheet has helped me understand why these last mgs are the most difficult.

I inadvertently jumped off at 3mg, and crashed two months later and I can see why now after studying all the above - I would still have been at nearly 50% occupancy rate.  I re-instated back to 4mg and I'm absolutely fine again at the moment.

So far, I haven't have much trouble tapering at 10%, only when I get to zero, so what I'm planning to do now, is keep tapering at 10% every month or so until I reach my uh-oh point, then go to maybe 5% or even a micro-taper, depending on what my body tells me.   And I will hold for many months if necessary.   I've learnt my lesson and never want to repeat this palaver ever again.   There are a couple more threads that I found really good too.  I'll go find them now.   Sorry about last night - I got really really tired and frustrated when I couldn't copy and paste this stuff for you lol.  

In the Tapering section - there's a thread called:-

The slowness of slow tapers

Started by Rhi 5Jun 2012

I found this helpful

Thankyou Ever! I will read this. Evening here now, so my turn soon to go to bed. :)

Another helpful one in the Tapering Forum:-

Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan

Started by Rhi 18 September 2013

Hope you have a good night AmyK!  :)

Hi Amy-- I've been having trouble lately too.  These lower numbers are going to take some doing.  Don't beat yourself up over the missed dose and the wine, it happens, and the results will settle out pretty soon.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Ever, thankyou again for taking time to search for this info!

Tom, I know, I read your journal. I am sorry you had it so tough too. We just have to keep on, don't we? :) Hug you back!

Feel much better today. Lots of snow fell this night, and I will soon take a walk in all that white. Take care all!

Hi Amy,

You are very welcome here  :)

It sounds like you are doing great by tapering so slowly and gradually. That takes patience. All credit to you!

Don't beat yourself up over the wine. We learn as we go along. You will stabilize and all will be well again  :)

When I have a bump in my withdrawal, new or uncomfortable symptoms, I remind myself that this is the healing process in action. Your body is working in your favour, slowly but surely to aid your healing. We may feel yukky or unsteady while this is happening, but ultimately, we will feel much better.

Be kind to yourself, Amy.

Tilly x

Thankyou Tilly!

Xx Amy

Hi AmyK ,     How's the past week been for you?

Welcome, Amy. I am 6 months out from a MUCH too fast taper off Zoloft (6 weeks off 100 mg.), and it's pretty rough. Glad to see you're going the slow taper route. (I didn't know). Hope you get through this rough patch soon.

Amy, I've been taking the Krill Oil for a couple of years--WAY before withdrawal--so I don't really know how much difference it has made. I do suspect it has made some difference, though.

Thankyou, luv2knit (cute name)! Yes, i can totally understand that is rough. I feel so sorry for you.

I can see that you take Krill oil. Did that change anything for you? All the best!

Oops--Sorry! Idk what happened there! Quoted the wrong post.

Hi AmyK ,     How's the past week been for you?

Thanks for asking Fresh. Much better. Back to normal wd me = functional and ok. Thank god.

Thanks for stopping by, Luv2knit. I havent been around tha last week. I will read your thread.

That's wonderful to hear.     Looks like  s-l-o-w-l-y  is the way to move forward.    So pleased things have settled for you.  :)

I felt so strange two days ago, dizzy and like I had dropped, so I thought it was time. Sometimes if I go to long before I drop the body tells me. With head ache or wd symtoms. A small drop usually ease that. 3-4 weeks is the best amount of time between my drops. Now it was five.

But since I had a set back a couple of weeks ago I was really scared. But I dropped to 2,23 mg yesterday. 5 %. And boy, I can feel it. Restlessness and heavy. Shakey. I cant believe these small amounts...

Feel quite sad and fed up and long for the day when all this is over. I have been tapering for 3.5 years. I am really fed up.

Hi Amy-- I know exactly what you mean.  These low doses are really taking some work.  I'm really glad I'm breaking my total drop over several weeks, to do it all at once would be killer.  Forward progress is so slow right now, such tiny amounts that it seems like we will never get to the end.  I've had to push my prospective end date back several times.  Ah well, we WILL get there, and at least for now the symptoms are giving us a break before it's time for the next drop.  Hope you feel better tomorrow.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))