SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jim24: When will I get back to my normal self after stopping risperidone

Jim24

I just received a supplement called Brain Energizer it supports Optimal cognitive performance ill see if it does anything I have not received the serotune yet. 

took Risperidone 4mg for 3 months

Stopped Risperidone on September 12

Started Trazodone 50mg for sleep on 28 nov 2014

Stopped Trazodone 50mg on Jan 12, 2015

Ativan,2mg,clonazepam,1mg,oxazepam,15mg, tried them for sleep then stopped with no results

started Celexa 12 dec 2014 

Stopped Celexa 30 of dec fearing it would make me worse 

currently on no meds

SUPPLEMENTS that im takeing: Centrum for men,Omega 3-6-9,Max-B12,Oceans alive,Brain energizer,Magnesium trophic,Vitamin C,Panaseeda oil,Serotune

Psychiatry wants your soul.

Jim, I totally relate to the feeling of being lobotomized. I jus sit all day staring into nothingness. I try to escape into computer games but can't enjoy it either.

jan 03, 2015 - started haldol 2 injections/day

jan 17, 2015 - off haldol

jan 21, 2015 - received a shot of haldol deconoate, 50 mg

waiting for recovery ever since

Jim, I totally relate to the feeling of being lobotomized. I jus sit all day staring into nothingness. I try to escape into computer games but can't enjoy it either.

My recover jump-started at around five or six months in. It's glacial, but most of us should get back eventually.

I wish I knew exactly what risperidone did to my brain im assuming it messes with dopeamine the most.

Ativan,2mg,clonazepam,1mg,oxazepam,15mg, tried them for sleep then stopped with no results

currently on no meds

SUPPLEMENTS that im takeing: Centrum for men,Omega 3-6-9,Max-B12,Oceans alive,Brain energizer,Magnesium trophic,Vitamin C,Panaseeda oil,Serotune

heres a link that explains a bit of the complicated mechanism of antipsychotics (with some fun pictures and commentary).  http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

great dude/resource, which many other people here seem to appreciate and link as well.  basically, the important thing to understand, if you dont read the top portion of that link, is that risperdal acts on several different neurological systems simultaneously, so theres a variety of repairing and recovering to be done, and sometimes it feels like areas are competing for your energies or restorative abilities.  or, also, sometimes it feels like recovery is stalled while certain areas undergo bottom-up renovations (so to speak) instead of changes that are immediately obvious to you.

its good to be a bit informed, but transfixing on the biology of your recovery or all the terrible things about psychotropic meds can leave you feeling paranoid and negative, so i recommend a dose of learning here and there but a much more pronounced focus on the healthier choices you can be making, and on giving yourself and your body the freedom of some relaxation and de-stressed treatment of your withdrawal.

as you mention, dopamine is one of the most noticeable and hardest hit areas, and recovering both functionality and proper sensitivity levels is one of the most trying portions of my own withdrawal recovery process.  youre shoveling down the vitamins and such, so i think its just a matter of time before you rehabilitate to whatever extents.  i often notice patterns involving 3s for biological changes (totally unrelated to medication withdrawal, but also applicable)...3 days to become accustomed to something new (like a new object in your environment), 3 weeks to feel differently about something (trying to make a decision on an idea, for instance), 3/6/12 months for some symptoms to change with withdrawal, 3 years for things to feel as differently as they do now with the health situation.  its not something to rely on or anything, but an interesting and encouraging phenomenon ive observed; perhaps other people have their own number systems or understandings.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

I just feel the same 24/7 and this is the time of year where im usually very happy and full of energy this is the first time in my life that I cant get happy or excited plus my energy levels are very low it is scary. Its impossible for me to be like this for years right? it's all because I took the risperidone but its not permanent right?

currently on no meds

i dont think it will be permanent, and is not for most people who experience withdrawal and persistent negative symptoms.  the most important step to take was going off the meds in the first place, and you have accomplished that.  recovery can be confusing and very painful/frustrating, but progress does happen.  its easier to notice when you distract yourself from how worrisome and different everything feels, even if you arent capable of your 'usual' distractions or cant participate in them on the same level as before.  once you have some time away from yourself, and the preoccupied state these symptoms can cause, its easier to see when stuff improves slowly over time.  a watched pot never boils but watched pot is always smoked, or something.

i do not think you will experience such a complete level of anhedonia and exhaustion for years on end---its usually the first stretch of withdrawal that feels the most like when you were still on meds.  and i believe that if you are burning of medicine weight-gain, there are metabolizable portions of the risperdal in there.  enough for a therapeutic dose most of the time?  i have no real idea, but i have noticed a correlation between weight loss and symptoms, and the literature does state that you can be noticeably dosed while off meds just by burning fat stores.

it took me like 2 years to even realize i was in withdrawal.  i thought i was just going through all sorts of crazy **** and rough patches.  got a new schiz-spectrum diagnosis and tons of problems doctors couldnt help me with.  even the psych ward rejected me after i was sent there from the urgent care center of a hospital.  no one could even tell me what was wrong.  so, i think you are in a pretty good position in knowing that you are experiencing withdrawal, at least---the mystery is part of the problem.  and not knowing when or how your withdrawal will cycle can also be a mystery that stresses you out, but having some positive meditative practices/thoughts might help you be calmer about the whole process.  perhaps activities (like the mandalas in the art thread someone started in one of the forums the other day) or positive ideation/mantras (thinking or saying sentences you write yourself that help you reflect on mindsets that make you feel healthier and, in time, happier).

the physical symptoms of withdrawal are pretty terrible, but what is almost equally difficult is the emotional state it puts people in.  to suffer in ways other people around you either cannot know or cannot understand, and to lack the support and emotional validation that most people get just by living daily life in a community---workplace, or family, or church, or whatnot.  its really important to find ways to support yourself emotionally so the physical struggle doesnt take as big a toll.  having a counselor to talk through stuff with, or researching anxiety/stress coping techniques can move you towards greater peace.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

If anyone went through risperidone withdraws please chime in. Is ringing in the ear a withdrawl symptom? will it go away?. 

currently on no meds

i had 3-4 years of risperdal, and tinnitus is a side effect/withdrawal symptom.  it is also (and even moreso) associated with benzo use, if i recall.  i had hearing loss and a bit of tinnitus during treatment and withdrawal but it has mostly cleared up unless its a bad day.  i have all sorts of hearing issues (ringing, tones, pulses, and neurological issues like difficulty discerning speech and confusing what spatial area sounds are originating from).  i thought the tinnitus type stuff was from going to over 100 really loud concerts, but suspected the medication could be the culprit.  the psychiatrist denied all plausibility for most of the serious symptoms risperdal caused that have since diminished or vanished after withdrawing (weight gain, memory obliteration, coordination decline, etc).

i think you will heal, but it might take a while.  people can have tinnitus (either periodically or sustained) for life from non-drug causes, but withdrawal is a different beast and sometimes people do recover.  i dont have any ideas of supplements or whatnot that might speed the recovery, but i notice you are on a multivitamin.  i do not recommend broad multivitamins because there are a variety of dangers and scammy things about many of them---things like insufficient bioavailability, the inferiority of manufactured forms of most vitamins, the need for complementary substances for proper absorption for some vitamins, and the possibility of vitamin/mineral overdose due to the haphazard and unbalanced nature of many multivitamins.  even fortified breakfast cereals have caused serious disorders in people due to the overload of things our body does actually need.  i would honestly check to make sure things you are taking are not making your hearing situation even worse (separate or combined), since some buildups or interactions can have negative effects on symptoms, even when the things being ingested are technically 'good for you'.

i hadnt always realized the dangers of multivitamins and while i was still on psych meds i was getting much worse kidney stones from taking my 'One A Day' multivitamin on top of the antipsychotic and anticonvulsant.  im not trying to make you paranoid, and chances are its 'just withdrawal', but its a factor to consider.

brainpan addlepation

Thanks for the input. I wish I could sue that damn doc for misdiagnosing me and putting me on such a harmful drug for pain and suffering and ruining my quality of life I should be able to sue for millions lol. 

currently on no meds

i know the feeling, though i was probably a bit less in the dark than many people here and simply persevered because the degree of my disorders was so severe that i felt i had exhausted all other/better/healthier options.

litigation is itself a rather expensive endeavor, but i bet new class-action suits are cropping up every year.  many psychiatrists have individual practices (and insurance), and you cant always get a huge settlement.  both of these situations often require both strenuous documentation and limited specificity of meds---the more variables you add in, the more plausible deniability there is.

i think our best method of airing the frustration, as well as making a difference, is to proliferate the truth about these substances.  a boatload of money would surely make my life and withdrawal experience a lot easier, but thinking big picture (even in this state of being) cant be a bad thing.

brainpan addlepation

the hardest things im going through now are anhedonia,apathy,lack of energy,brain fog,I cant think of things to say I used to joke around alot and was smiling all the time, music just sounds like noise (part of anhedonia) life just isnt as beutiful as it used to be  :( probly because my dopeamine is messed up also im shure it messed up my Epinephrine,Histamine,and serotonin receptors especially the 5ht7 receptor which I read is irreversibly blocked by risperidone what a mess this crap did to my poor brain no wonder im like this but I have to have hope that ill get back to my non medicated self. 

currently on no meds

Jim,sorry to head this.

Have you ever tried to make a PET scan? If there is a receptors damage you maybe can sue Janssen company...

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

I just want to return to my normal self before the meds Im not going to go through all the hassel to try and sue I dont have the energy or the brain power to sue anyway im just looking for some way to feel human again and I dont think any meds will help me but if im still like this in lets say 2 years im going to have to try something.

currently on no meds

I really want to get over the anhidonia and apathy I want my emotions and personality back most of all, this EXTREME BOREDOM is really taking its toll I cant get stimulated or feel fun anymore. Can anyone relate to this? is there anything that can be done?   

currently on no meds

Hi Jim. This WD process robs us of feeling anything joyful or pleasurable because we feel so emotionally drained, physically exhausted and mentally fogged. I pray for all of us to return to some sort of premed status soon, even if it's not 100%. We all just need a glimmer of hope and it seems that's the hardest commodity to come by in WD. The alternative is going on a ridiculous med cocktail that will be just as, if not more, painful than the current state we're in. If there was a guarantee out there that we'd find the right drug combo, I'd probably jump all over it. But there isn't. Hugs to you in this battle for our lives. The only way to get past this misery, is to go through it.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I really want to get over the anhidonia and apathy I want my emotions and personality back most of all, this EXTREME BOREDOM is really taking its toll I cant get stimulated or feel fun anymore. Can anyone relate to this? is there anything that can be done?   

Jim, I'm totally in the same boat regarding music sounding like noise, lack of emotions and apathy, as well as boredom. I just force myself to play videogames and watch TV, that's all.

something i have found to be absolutely essential in my recovery and trying to regain positive emotional response is novelty.  being super medicated (and also depressed) meant i fell into very limited and structured patterns of behavior, and deviation rarely occurred, especially because i didnt even have the energy.  and, in withdrawal, if i was retracing those old circles, it was much harder to get a new feeling from any of it.

so, i began to try re-embracing spontaneity and arbitrary decisions; experiencing new things simply because they are new, whether or not id normally figure that its something id like or pursue---walking in a totally new environment, trying ethnic foods ive never had before, even simply disturbing my schedule by doing a normal task in an abnormal time or place or manner.

these things did not instantly feel 'good' a lot of the time, in the beginning, but it felt, at least, different from sitting around catatonic or trying to muddle through the few things i could halfway competently accomplish, like watching a spot of tv or having a snack.  sometimes its hard to have direction when you feel so incapacitated or sapped of creativity, but opportunities often present themselves once you start looking for details to follow random places.

i definitely cannot guarantee an emotional response, or positive change in your perception, but the fundamental scientific principle behind this is that new stimuli = new neurological patterns and thus growth.  learning something new, being someplace new, shaking up your routine in whatever way...it all contributes to your brain healing itself and branching off from the bastardized connections these atrophy-promoting medications assaulted.

im sorry if youve already mentioned, but how is your quality of sleep?  i wonder if your sleep is lacking the proper level of restorative to recover fuller emotional functionality.  music would sound like noise when i was lacking sleep or feeling tired while on the risperdal---something i never really experienced all the years before.  and my ability to process and discern music has been altered even to this date, 3 years into withdrawal, but i am making slow improvements.  i can listen to more than one song in a row some days, and that is a huge step forward from how it was at my worst in withdrawal.

sleeping, and dreaming, are essential to balanced and comprehensive functionality, especially in the cognitive and emotional senses, so monitoring how those things are going can give you clues as to what is changing or requiring a lifestyle adjustment.  while on meds, i was mostly dreaming of stuff 10-20 years ago...it was exceptionally rare for me to remember a dream with contemporary persons or settings.  i figure my brain was just so bound by the meds that it was still reprocessing old stuff, or unable to make the connections and growth necessary to process new stuff like i had dealt with it before meds.  but, now that ive quit, ive begun having more up to date dreams, and though its taken a while i consider it a very positive sign.

brainpan addlepation

• Administrator

You will need to work with what you have now. "Fake it until you make it" -- expose yourself to pleasant experiences and don't obsess about the limits of your enjoyment. Feed your brain with kindness.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Got the serotune its saposed to raise serotonin, dopamine, and gaba levels ill see if this supp works if it works even a little bit its worth it serotune contains 5-HTP (Griffonia Simplicifolia)  100 mg, L-Theanine 100 mg, L-Tyrosine  300 mg and Magnesium (As Magnesium Citrate) 50 mg its worth a try I guess im hopeing it will boost my state of mind or do something good.

currently on no meds

I have not found anyone on the net that has fully returned back to there normal self's after stopping risperidone.  

currently on no meds

The Internet will scare you if you let it. It's full of doom and gloom. It doesn't matter what drug. They all effect everything. Our brains will heal eventually.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I have not found anyone on the net that has fully returned back to there normal self's after stopping risperidone.

Right. I've reached the same conclusion...also a good psy doc I have met recently told me this state of things could last 5, 10 years, or forever. We have to adapt to the new situation. nobody knows cause nobody knows well what Risperidone did to our brains...it's a shame. I think I will wait about 1 year, then, if nothing changes, I will kill myself in some way. Amen.

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

Right. I've reached the same conclusion...also a good psy doc I have met recently told me this state of things could last 5, 10 years, or forever. We have to adapt to the new situation. nobody knows cause nobody knows well what Risperidone did to our brains...it's a shame. I think I will wait about 1 year, then, if nothing changes, I will kill myself in some way. Amen.

Ya and you were only on 1mg for a month or so I was on 4mg for 3 months of this sh*t im going to wait about a year also and see if something changes I dont want to feel like this forever thats for sure. Your right Its a damn shame I wasn't even saposed to be given this drug and I was happy everyday and I was so full of life and love and energy I also felt spiritually connected, it really is undescribable how bad risperidone damaged me they ruined a perfectly healthy young man, this is probably freemasonry at its finest DAMN BASTARDS!       

currently on no meds

Ya and you were only on 1mg for a month or so I was on 4mg for 3 months of this sh*t im going to wait about a year also and see if something changes I dont want to feel like this forever thats for sure. Your right Its a damn shame I wasn't even saposed to be given this drug and I was happy everyday and I was so full of life and love and energy I also felt spiritually connected, it really is undescribable how bad risperidone damaged me they ruined a perfectly healthy young man, this is probably freemasonry at its finest DAMN BASTARDS!       

I'm with you guys, feeling horrendous and doomed. Don't even think I can make it through one year...

antipsychodics are only good for severely schizophrenics for anyone els they leave you in a BS state of mind with no emotions and no feelings of pleasure cause vision problums and tennitus and leave you isolated and make you not think or have a personality it should be a crime to give non schizos these kinds of meds it blows my mind why they gave me such a high dose of this crap thats going to be pulled of the market ya thanks docs fu*k me up with risperidone then take it off the market WTF im only 24 and I had so much going for me I really am giveing up hope im going to have to live like this now if nothing changes in a year I really dont think ill be able to handle this state any longer it sickens me how docs can be so stupid they really do ruin lives for profit I dont know what to do there is no escape antipsycodics put you in a state of hell and leave you there 24/7 there is no getting used to this its so messed up it blows my mind how my own government can do this crap to people I never ever thought this **** would happen to me its fu*cked up big time how can I live with a messed up brain, a chemical lobotomy, anhedonia,apathy,messed up my vision,tennitus,cant exsplain the state of mind (perception) but its hell loss of intelligence isolation (dont want to be isolated but I cant do **** all in this state cant drink with friends or even have a conversation nothing feels good) can hardy do my work now I dont talk im like mute I cant show a real smile because I dont have the awesome happiness I used to feel I cant joke around or have/feel fun anymore im pale and have dark circles under my eyes now with an expressionless face have waked dreams or dreams of my past self before I took that poison im overwhelmingly board and cant even enjoy music or enjoy a beer or something after a hard labour job I used to be in perfect shape but now ive never been so weak them damn drugs made me retarted pretty much but worse because I dont even have the dopeamine to support fun or excitement this is worse then death anyone who hasent takein antipsychodics like risperidone dont/cant fully understand but if im still like this in a year the shotgun looks nice and im only 24 damnit how could they do this to me heartless bunch of cowerds burn in hell if I never took the crap I would still be haveing fun like I always did with friends (that I lost) and have a girl but I cant show my true self anymore I hope all psyc docs burn in hell.   

currently on no meds

Jim, how are you holding up?

well lapd I still have anhedonia apathy and not able to enjoy things in life I have been looking into the whole irreversable deactivation of the 5-ht7 recepters that risperidone causes and I read that a competitive antagonist like clozapine can reactivate these receptors and way back like 8 months ago I told my Pdoc that I did not need risperidone and it was causeing all kinds of bad effects so he gave me olanzapine I knew not to take it because I did not need it and have no mental illness anyway I also read that Olanzapine is structurally similar to clozapine and can possibly be a competitive antagonist to the risperidone blocked 5-ht7 receptors, so if I take olanzapine do you think it could unblock these recepters? I dont really want to try it incase it further damages my brain and its all based on internet research but I am desperate enough to try it if it gets me closer to my old self what do you think? and my research is below.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00213-010-2001-x

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT7_receptor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine

currently on no meds

clozapine and olanzapine (ZYPREXA!) are both atypical antipsychotics.  the more complex AAPs (like many psych meds) can have both activating and inactivating properties, but the #1 goal of antipsychotics is to assassinate your dopamine.  i do not recommend any antipsychotics for your condition whatsoever unless you are wanting to undergo a reinstatement protocol, which has its own set of risks.

also, being a competitive antagonist is NOT the same as being an agonist.  heres an article describing binding actions a bit, if it would help.  if you have discontinued the risperdal (and you have), adding more inactivating drugs wouldnt change your pseudo-irreversible inactivation issue.

though, i am not entirely clear on how 'irreversible' "irreversible" is when it comes to binding...i dont know if this is to imply that theres essentially tons of drugs up in your brain still, just hanging out and such, or if the longevity of the binding (and vehemence---normal functioning and most drugs cannot reverse the binding) is simply more pronounced as compared to the transience most drugs are figured to have.  the studies cited in the wiki article you linked refer to risperdal as 'pseudo-irreversible', which definitely implies you might just have to wait it out because it will get better.  heres a little link on mechanism classification (the context is alzheimers drugs---not entirely unrelated in terms of neurological issues, but entirely related in terms of how receptor interaction is described, i would figure).

even a selective 5-HT7 medication might cause other negatively impactful activations or hypersensitivity reactions, so i dont know if modern pharmaceuticals are a viable option for you.  id have to do more research to find out observed ways of dissolving pseudo-irreversible bonds more expediently or seeing if perhaps certain foods or supplements, like krill oil or omega-3/7 heavy foods, could give you a better shot at having functionality return.  i really have to reiterate here: i have seen a reduction in these symptoms you experience by waiting out my withdrawal.  the top three things i focused on are:

1. exercise (movement more than rigor)---get your body and brain active, even if its just a short daily walk. it is very important for helping your neurological communication and functioning resume.

2. proper diet---giving your body what it needs to refurbish damages and excrete toxins while also dealing with the digestive changes withdrawal can cause.

3. novelty---expose yourself to new situations, substances (food, drinks, whatnot), ideas, people, and feelings.  when you explore something new, your brain is required to make new connections, pathways, etc instead of relying on the same circuits that could be locked, degraded, or inhibited by your psych med usage.

those three things plus a decent sleep situation and positive mental attitude are the best ways to spend your time in 'lock-down'.  youve made efforts towards improving your diet and such, we have discussed, but i wanted to put that these activities are, in my opinion, probably more liable to be helpful than anything a doctor could prescribe you.  its good that you havent given up, and that youre looking for answers---just save some of that energy for positive ideation and growing your patience, as well.

brainpan addlepation

I wont try to make things better with more psyc drugs could land me in more hurt. I also read that the body will recycle the inactivated receptors eventually. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreversible_antagonist

currently on no meds

Hello Jim I am curious about the 

Brain energizer

Have you noticed any change since starting it?  

and here the heck did you get this

recycle the inactivated receptors?

Which receptors do you mean... ones affected by celexa?  or other drugs that I don't know much about. 

I am far out from early days I could not handle supplements but now thinking I may try again.  I am always amazed to see anyone who can take a number of supplements and not get worse. You amaze me in other words. 

wishing you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

its a supplement I got online its saposed to improve cognitive function,memory,mental speed and total body wellness I dont really notice anything different im not getting better or worse. And the receptors I meant were the 5-ht7 receptors that risperidone irreversibly blocks I was just reading things about it and someone on the crazymeds website told me that the irreversible blocking of these receptors will unblock with time because the body will recycle the non-functional receptor protein im not exactly sure ither I just go by what people say about risperidone and what the internet says this is the whole article on it.

An irreversible antagonist is a type of antagonist that binds permanently to a receptor, either by forming a covalent bond to the active site, or alternatively just by binding so tightly that the rate of dissociation is effectively zero at relevant time scales.[1] This permanently deactivates the receptor and is usually followed by rapid internalisation and recycling of the non-functional receptor protein. Irreversible enzyme inhibitors that act similarly are clinically used and include drugs such as aspirinomeprazole and monoamine oxidase inhibitors.[2]

To be honest I dont know crap about what kind of damage risperidone has done to me but I definitely know it caused me brain damage I just go by internet research and by what people say and other peoples experiences risperidone ruined my life so far and its been 8 months almost 9 months off it and im still the same im just a scared lost boy thats been damaged by a drug that I didnt need that was given to me by a crook doc. I was amazing before I took them damn drugs and so was life its such a shame and I can hardly find people that have been through the same thing im going through its like not many people ever took risperidone and when I do find people that have they never really returned back to there former selves I should not be in this situation but sadly here I am and I still dont know why that crazy person put me on Risperidone at such a high dose they should know the dangers of it by now and he could of just sent me home with no drugs I would be fine maybe he just wanted the money I dont know and ill never know I kinda failed myself to because I didnt look it up first but anyway damage is done and I like to rant just because the situation im in and what happend is so wacked I guess im just looking for a miracle or for someone who has been damaged by risperidone to just tell me not to worry and that they got better and I will to I guess im just looking for some real hope the only things I have heard over the past 9 months is that it can take 2 years or 5 years or even 10 years or ill never be the same again its heart breaking but maybe thats the reality of it maybe im stuck like this now please God just make me the way I was oh lord give me this miracle and let me live as I once did please God :(    

currently on no meds

Was hoping for regrowth. 

Antidepressants cause downregulation of serotonin receptors. In a mechanism of brain self-defense, the receptors actually disappear, becoming more sparse so as to take in less serotonin. It is thought among withdrawal researchers that people who experience the worst withdrawal are slower than others to repopulate serotonin receptors.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/392-one-theory-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

theory I guess. 

I recall long long long ago talking on other sites as they say.... about how the new receptors that are grown are not as strong or as viable as the previous receptors; Since I took that all powerful drug too I am hoping those old receptors that were blocked will be replaced by new receptors so to hell with it :) 

I think they other bit which sounds a bit dicey to me is this bit..

"receptor protein" is actually this "recycling of the non-functional receptor protein" 

both come back online in time that is the hope as far as fact I am seeing no facts.... 

Who knows there are different receptors to think about. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201107/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

"Several receptors--including 5-HT1A--aren't especially malleable, moreover, and take longer to sprout anew after drug treatment ends, delaying the patient's return to neuronalhealth. Indeed, some studies I consulted found that in certain patients those receptors fail to grow back at all, in effect leaving the patients worse off than before. (See for instance "Dissociation of the Plasticity of 5-HT1A Sites and 5-HT Transporter Sites

(link is external)

" in Paxil Research Studies 19.3 [1994], 311-15.)"

If anyone has some bigger new gleaming proof of how this all works... lets see it please. 

As of now I think we have what we have now there is no going back and untaking drug... it would be nice if the folks who made the drug could tell us more about how to recover from it. 

Maybe some brainiack will pop in here and tell us both how this works :) 

peace Jim

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

What I found interesting is when I was looking at the drug that affect this receptor 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT7_receptor

I found the one reported to help with pssd 

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=survivingantidepressants.org%20-%20cyproheptadine

interesting as that may be I will never take it

" Inactivating antagonists all likely interact with the 5-HT7 receptor in an irreversible/pseudo-irreversible manner, as is the case with [3H]risperidone.[31][32]

• Bromocriptine[32 this drug I think I was given when in bad wd... short use the above pseudo - irreversible... just has me scratching my head which is it. 

Had a car accident in 85

ya I know scary stuff. Can the brain even go back to its previous state after risperidone use its so frustrating because there are no straight answers and I dont want to be like this for the rest of my life I want to be me again. Does anyone know if the brain can go back to its normal state after risperidone use? 

currently on no meds

scientifically speaking anything "can" happen if the right conditions are met.  i would say that i feel you are a bit too fixated on this, but i totally understand, and was just as bothered and constant in my pursuit when i was questioning the potential side effects and damages of long term antipsychotic use before i quit meds.  no one would give me a straight answer (on crazymeds and other places), or would just cite materials that essentially had no real basis in reality.

it can be really encouraging when theres a success story, but im not entirely sure what kind of information you are looking for.  "normal state" is a kind of ambiguous term, since the brain changes year to year, and from one time of day to the next.  if someone used meds for a year, or three years, or whatever, their brain after quitting and recovering still wont be just the same as before they ever took meds.  if you are asking whether or not one can recover complete functionality, i think it is safe to say that it is possible.  the brain regenerates, and also creates workarounds---with the level of neural plasticity in humans, when your body cant fix something to be just like it was before, it sometimes does a makeshift structure that allows functionality to return even if its not the same biological physicality.

for instance, scientists have invented chairs that deliver impulses to the skin of blind patients that allows them to see because the brain learns to interpret the sensations as a sort of 3D mapping type stimulus.  another example is how some patients with hemispherectomies (removing a lobe or entire half of ones brain) initially lose functionality in some activities considered to be more 'global' processes, but then can regain skills as their brain adapts to the loss and rewires to allow for normal functioning to return.

so, learning about receptors and the impact of drug use can be educational, but science still understands so very little about the overall picture, and the fuller scope of these interactions, that trying to hypothesize a recovery statistic or have some solid notion of what can/will happen is basically impossible.  go with what you know---the body is self-repairing, and people (even on this board) have seen significant improvement after quitting and withdrawing from AAPs, including risperdal.  no one can guarantee you a return to full functionality, but the stress of worrying and wondering can be counterproductive to your recovery.  but, anxiety and paranoia and worry come more easily than happiness and fulfillment when you are in withdrawal.  and, i mean that chemically---withdrawal has caused a lot of fear, rage, paranoia, anxiety, etc that would not normally be happening, while my 'positive' experiences of emotion have been hampered.  that has improved over time as well, but take your feelings in context of situation---some concerns or preoccupations can be ingrained from med use.

brainpan addlepation