RealMadrid - How can I tell if it's withdrawl or relapse?

RealMadrid

My signature has the majority of the information. I stopped Prozac on December 15 (I was on 10, the lowest) and around the beginning of January began to get MASSIVE headaches that I still get today. 

I mean, they're horrible. I wake up with them, and go to bed with them. They last all day, and are less noticeable if I'm outside distracted, but other than that, they are terrible. These headaches lead to my anxiety attacks throughout the day. I begin crying because I'm afraid of staying in this state of mind forever and afraid of the headaches not disappearing. Then, before night, I begin to think about everything and worry excessively. It takes me a bit longer to fall asleep than it used to, BUT WORST OF ALL is for two nights in the past 2 weeks I've gotten NO SLEEP AT ALL due to anxious thoughts. About 2 weeks ago, I went 35 hours without sleep, and 2 nights ago I went to bed at 12am, and woke up at 2am not being able to get anymore sleep after that. 

Last night, I went to bed at 12:50am, woke up at 3am, then woke up again at 5am. I wake up a lot earlier than usual when I used to be able to sleep till 10:30-11:30. My sleep has been horrible. I used to sleep like a baby. 

My doctor (whose really not that great) told me my headaches are 'probably' just a symptom of depression.

Have any of you experienced headaches to this degree (waking up with them and lasting all day)? If so, how long did these last and how long were you on the medication for?

Is it normal for anxiety to get to a very high level after stopping Prozac despite the fact that my anxiety BEFORE Prozac was very mild? (speaking from experience of course). Is insomnia a common withdrawal symptom? 

Is it normal for withdrawal symptoms to only come into effect a couple of weeks after stopping the medication? 

What has helped you?

I know this is a lot, but if you have experience in even one of those areas, it would help tremendously.

AH ALSO, I forgot to mention that I've seen a drastic decrease in my appetite. I used to have no issues eating all 3 meals of the day, and snacks throughout, but now, I have to FORCE myself to eat even 1200 calories. Come dinner, I can only manage very small portions. Otherwise, I feel very nauseous. 

Edited by RealMadrid
Sorry if this is long, but I don't know what else to turn to. 

I was seeing as psychiatrist when I was 14-15,  I'm now 19. She put me on Prozac which I started at 10mg, then went up to 20mg, then 30. I only did 30 for a few weeks, then went down to 20, and was on 10 for the last 2 years or so.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it) prescribes the same 10mg every time so that's what I've been on.  However, I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to depend on medication, and on around December 15 2014 (can't remember the exact date), I decided to stop taking medication, without consulting my doctor. Seeing as it was only 10mg, I didn't think it would make much difference. I also cut off caffeine a couple of weeks after I stopped my medication as I heard it can worsen anxiety.

Since then, about 2-3 weeks after stopping my Prozac, I began to have horrible headaches everyday, panic attacks, and waking up throughout the night and not falling asleep due to anxous thoughts. The headaches cause my anxiety attacks as I worry they (the headaches) won't disappear seeing as I've had them for nearly 3 weeks. Before taking Prozac, I never had issues with this. I had MILD anxiety, but the reason I went on Prozac to begin with was only for depression. 

I'm not sure how to handle this withdrawl right now as it's turning out to be one the lowest points in my life. I'm scared, and not sure what to do anymore. I'm on a waiting list for a psychiatrist as my old one was a child and youth psychiatrist. January 22: Began taking Natural Calm magnesium 

January 23 - Reinstated back onto the 10mg of Prozac 

Im no dr but it sounds like withdrawal to me.

Withdrawal can hit weeks, even months after stopping an ssri. Insomnia is a complaint of many people suffering. Since you've only been off the meds a few weeks, you would probably do best to reinstate at your last dose, then slowly start a taper to vet off the last of it.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RealMadrid,

given this is your first post and its about you and your situation, I have moved it into our introductions forum.   This is where we have our own personal threads.  This is yours.   You can keep coming back to it to ask questions, seek clarification, record whats happening for you etc.  You might want to bookmark it so you can find it easily.

What you describe sounds very much like withdrawal to me.   Although you were on a low dose of prozac, your brain had got used to it and is now having a reaction to you stopping.   That doesn't mean you need prozac, it just means that you need to give your brain some time to adjust to its absence.   We give the brain this time by tapering slowly bit by bit.   Our philosophy is that generally speaking people should taper 10 percent of the previous dose, every four weeks or so,   Some people can go faster, some need to go slower.   In your case your first drop would have been to 9mg.

You also will be in caffeine withdrawal from stopping coffee.   Depending on how much you were drinking each day this can be pretty full on.   When I stop drinking coffee I get bad headaches, unless I drop that down slowly too.

In your situation we usually recommend reinstating the drug to taper slowly.   We usually recommend that you reinstate a small amount initially - a couple of mg to test out how you react to it because sometimes our systems become very sensitive when we have plunged them into withdrawal.

Here are a couple of key threads for you to read:

What is withdrawal - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

Key principles to recovery - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Tips for tapering prozac - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi RealMadrid,

given this is your first post and its about you and your situation, I have moved it into our introductions forum.   This is where we have our own personal threads.  This is yours.   You can keep coming back to it to ask questions, seek clarification, record whats happening for you etc.  You might want to bookmark it so you can find it easily.

What you describe sounds very much like withdrawal to me.   Although you were on a low dose of prozac, your brain had got used to it and is now having a reaction to you stopping.   That doesn't mean you need prozac, it just means that you need to give your brain some time to adjust to its absence.   We give the brain this time by tapering slowly bit by bit.   Our philosophy is that generally speaking people should taper 10 percent of the previous dose, every four weeks or so,   Some people can go faster, some need to go slower.   In your case your first drop would have been to 9mg.

You also will be in caffeine withdrawal from stopping coffee.   Depending on how much you were drinking each day this can be pretty full on.   When I stop drinking coffee I get bad headaches, unless I drop that down slowly too.

In your situation we usually recommend reinstating the drug to taper slowly.   We usually recommend that you reinstate a small amount initially - a couple of mg to test out how you react to it because sometimes our systems become very sensitive when we have plunged them into withdrawal.

Here are a couple of key threads for you to read:

What is withdrawal - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

Key principles to recovery - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Tips for tapering prozac - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Dalsaan

From experience, and from what you've read on here, do you think it would make sense for me to go back on Prozac despite being off of it for a month..or should I just continue on. 

My doctor just told me I need to stay on it forever, or stay off. I can't keep going on and off. That's all she said when I asked. I'm not exactly sure what to do. 

Today I went out and bought some Gabba as I've heard that can help with anxiety, and I also bought some of the Natural Calm Magnesium for sleep in hopes of that working. 

As for caffeine, I used to have a cup of coffee every morning and then on some days,a Starbucks flavoured latte in the afternoon. But, for the last few weeks before going off caffeine, ,I just drank black tea in the mornings. I had a 'normal' amount of caffeine, not excessive (just on same days, maybe lol).

Im no dr but it sounds like withdrawal to me.

Withdrawal can hit weeks, even months after stopping an ssri. Insomnia is a complaint of many people suffering. Since you've only been off the meds a few weeks, you would probably do best to reinstate at your last dose, then slowly start a taper to vet off the last of it.

Would what I described be considered insomnia? I'm not sure if I used the correct term or if I'm using it too lightly. Two days in the past 2 weeks with relatively no sleep and waking up throughout the night often? 

I was seeing as psychiatrist when I was 14-15,  I'm now 19. She put me on Prozac which I started at 10mg, then went up to 20mg, then 30. I only did 30 for a few weeks, then went down to 20, and was on 10 for the last 2 years or so.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it) prescribes the same 10mg every time so that's what I've been on.  However, I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to depend on medication, and on around December 15 2014 (can't remember the exact date), I decided to stop taking medication, without consulting my doctor. Seeing as it was only 10mg, I didn't think it would make much difference. I also cut off caffeine a couple of weeks after I stopped my medication as I heard it can worsen anxiety.

Since then, about 2-3 weeks after stopping my Prozac, I began to have horrible headaches everyday, panic attacks, and waking up throughout the night and not falling asleep due to anxous thoughts. The headaches cause my anxiety attacks as I worry they (the headaches) won't disappear seeing as I've had them for nearly 3 weeks. Before taking Prozac, I never had issues with this. I had MILD anxiety, but the reason I went on Prozac to begin with was only for depression. 

I'm not sure how to handle this withdrawl right now as it's turning out to be one the lowest points in my life. I'm scared, and not sure what to do anymore. I'm on a waiting list for a psychiatrist as my old one was a child and youth psychiatrist. January 22: Began taking Natural Calm magnesium 

• Moderator Emeritus

Whether you reinstate is a question for you.  I think you are in withdrawal, I think a slow taper provides more chance of avoiding withdrawal symptoms and at this stage that means reinstatement.   Its no guarantee and it comes with a risk that your body will react to reinstatement.   However, its also unclear how long you might be in withdrawal for.  It can last a long time.  Some people decide to tough it out and regret that decision.

Here is a post that explains the pros and cons of reinstatement - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

Im sorry to keep pointing you to threads but there is a lot of accumulated wisdom on this site and we cant reproduce that in each persons thread.

Yes I would call that insomnia, not as severe as many of us have it but insomnia nonetheless.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Ps I would avoid too many supplements, at best you are wasting your money, at worst exacerbating your withdrawal.  We find people do well on magnesium and fish oil

We also find Drs don't know much about withdrawal and some feel more confident if their patients just take meds for life.  Its easier - for them

D

• Moderator Emeritus

I think a partial reinstatement might be worth trying, say 2-4 mg, just to see if it helps at all. If it helps a little, or doesn't make you feel worse, you could crank it up to 5-7 mg.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

So sorry you are in this difficult place.

My doctor (whose really not that great) told me my headaches are 'probably' just a symptom of depression.

What a lot of nonsense.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it)

This is also nonsense

Here is what i reckon :

You are suffering classic wdl symptoms from a very potent addictive drug.

Crying spells panic attacks, uncontrollable anxiety diarrhea vomitting insomnia these are all wdl . Its not you its the drug! Period. These are not life time drugs. Personally i think these drugs are not even anytime drugs.

Only one month off it is still time in my opinion to ri.

My doctor just told me I need to stay on it forever, or stay off. I can't keep going on and off. That's all she said when I asked. I'm not exactly sure what to do

Wrong again . But these are not drugs that can be stopped and started at will they are not dispirins they are brain altering chemical and those alterations need a long time to recover and they recover by doing a slow steady taper. A CT will shock the brain as you are finding out.

You havent used the 's' word yet but you basically have 2 options as i see it:

1. Press on drug free and wait it out until wdl recedes ...could be many months, or

2. Reinstate, but where ....well with only one month off from a ct, I'd be tempted to go back and start again. imo

[Note: This site rec starting a ri at a low dose. ]

Stabilize then start a 10% taper with a month between drops ...that will take 23 months.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

So sorry you are in this difficult place.

What a lot of nonsense.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it)

This is also nonsense

Here is what i reckon :

You are suffering classic wdl symptoms from a very potent addictive drug.

Crying spells panic attacks, uncontrollable anxiety diarrhea vomitting insomnia these are all wdl . Its not you its the drug! Period. These are not life time drugs. Personally i think these drugs are not even anytime drugs.

Only one month off it is still time in my opinion to ri.

My doctor just told me I need to stay on it forever, or stay off. I can't keep going on and off. That's all she said when I asked. I'm not exactly sure what to do

Wrong again . But these are not drugs that can be stopped and started at will they are not dispirins they are brain altering chemical and those alterations need a long time to recover and they recover by doing a slow steady taper. A CT will shock the brain as you are finding out.

You havent used the 's' word yet but you basically have 2 options as i see it:

1. Press on drug free and wait it out until wdl recedes ...could be many months, or

2. Reinstate, but where ....well with only one month off from a ct, I'd be tempted to go back and start again. imo

[Note: This site rec starting a ri at a low dose. ]

Stabilize then start a 10% taper with a month between drops ...that will take 23 months.

What's the S word? I'm going to assume it's suicide....I was weary about saying that here. Ooccasionally I've had a few thoughts, but nothing serious. Just the "I'm not going to want to continue living if I have to continue this way" etc. 

If I reinstate, let's say tomorrow, seeing as I was only on 10mg, would I go back to 10mg or go down to 9? How do I even go down to 9 seeing as 10 is the lowest dosage and I'm not exactly sure how to measure 9mg of Prozac.

By stabilize do you mean go back to 10mg - what I was taking to begin with ? Is 37 days a long withdrawal period? Will my Prozac kick in straight away or will it be the usual 2 weeks it normally takes for 'new' patients taking the medication?

I'm heavily considering going back on it tomorrow, so would I start back at 10mg?

I apologize for all the questions, but it's 12:30am and my anxiety is terrible over this at the moment. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RealMadrid,

I will try and answer your questions.  I don't know what nz11 meant by the 's' word, maybe he will clarify that for you.

If you read through this topic:   Tips for Tapering off Prozac  it will give you information about how to reduce the dosage by small amounts.

These two topics provide even more information:

How to cut up tablets or pills

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

I think a partial reinstatement might be worth trying, say 2-4 mg, just to see if it helps at all. If it helps a little, or doesn't make you feel worse, you could crank it up to 5-7 mg.

Rhi, who is one of our more experienced staff members suggested trying a small reinstatement first.  There are some very valid reasons behind this:

If you've been off the drug for a month or more, many people can find relief from antidepressant withdrawal symptoms by reinstating as little as 1mg-5mg. (you stopped taking it about 5 weeks ago, which is more than a month)

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.
  • These drugs are vastly more powerful than they need to be and you want to be taking only the lowest EFFECTIVE dose.
  • Your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you had withdrawal symptoms.
  • If you can stabilize on a lower dose, you have less to taper when you finally do go off.
  • If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.
  • You can always adjust the dosage upward if you find you need to.

Please read through this for more information:  

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

By stabilize, we mean reinstate the dose and then wait until any symptoms subside before beginning a new taper.  This usually takes between a month and several months, but in some cases it can happen sooner, or take longer.  Sometimes, after reinstating, symptoms come in waves, gradually decreasing, so you need to allow enough time to make sure the symptoms have really stopped or decreased significantly.

I hope this helps, please let us know what you decide to do.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm so tired. So so tired. I didn't get a good sleep last night due to constant waking up throughout the night. However, now I'm trying and the moment I get into bed, my legs start shaking. Even when I just got out of bed, like now, they're shaking as is a bit of my upper body due to nerves.

I'm anxious about not being able to fall asleep or falling asleep but constantly waking up throughout the night. And weirdest of all, I'm anxious about sleeping in TOO long so I keep texting my sister telling her to make sure she wakes me up before 11:30. I'm not sure why I'm anxious about that as I have nothing to do tomorrow. I'm just scared of all of this and wish I never took this medication to begin with.

Then on too of all of the above worrying, I worry shout not being able to see through the darkness of my room if I wake up throughout the night. Think this is because when I was younger, only a few times, I'd wake up and couldn't see anything- the door, light switch etc. and began screaming for help. Another time I fell asleep in another room of the house, think it was my moms when I was 14 or so and I couldn't see due to the darkness so once again I panicked, and while trying to find the door, broke lamps, curtain rods, etc. Horrible. Because of this, a few days ago when my anxiety over this began, I've been using an electronic picture frame as a night light lol.

Ugh. I hate this SO much to the point where I'm in tears over this. Thank you everyone, I'll read all of the links in the morning.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there RealMadrid.      I agree with Rhi and Petu about trying a partial reinstatement . . . say 2-4mg before bed tonight.    

Keep us posted.  Even though each moment seems like an eternity , you're now in the company of people who DO understand.

xx 

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Realmadrid you need to follow the advise on this site as i am only a newbee too. Perhaps an opinionated one. For i am sure that others have seen things that i have not yet in my limited observations seen.

But yes you are right about the 's' word.

It is not an easy place you find yourself in and i wish you strength.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

Follow the advice.  Fear and distress and panic are WD symptoms.  If you can reinstate, do it........ then research this site, and go slow...  I never had agrophobia, before these drugs, I never had so many things, before these drugs, I was never suicidal, before these drugs........ THE FEELINGS ARE DUE TO THE DRUGS.     

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hi RealMadrid,

I will try and answer your questions. I don't know what nz11 meant by the 's' word, maybe he will clarify that for you.

If you read through this topic: Tips for Tapering off Prozac it will give you information about how to reduce the dosage by small amounts.

These two topics provide even more information:

How to cut up tablets or pills

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Rhi, who is one of our more experienced staff members suggested trying a small reinstatement first. There are some very valid reasons behind this:

If you've been off the drug for a month or more, many people can find relief from antidepressant withdrawal symptoms by reinstating as little as 1mg-5mg. (you stopped taking it about 5 weeks ago, which is more than a month)

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.
  • These drugs are vastly more powerful than they need to be and you want to be taking only the lowest EFFECTIVE dose.
  • Your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you had withdrawal symptoms.
  • If you can stabilize on a lower dose, you have less to taper when you finally do go off.
  • If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.
  • You can always adjust the dosage upward if you find you need to.
Please read through this for more information: About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

By stabilize, we mean reinstate the dose and then wait until any symptoms subside before beginning a new taper. This usually takes between a month and several months, but in some cases it can happen sooner, or take longer. Sometimes, after reinstating, symptoms come in waves, gradually decreasing, so you need to allow enough time to make sure the symptoms have really stopped or decreased significantly.

I hope this helps, please let us know what you decide to do.

Petu.

I'm completely new to all of this so some of this confuses me.

Should I go on the full 10mg in the morning, or reinstate at, say, 5mg, stay there for 4 weeks or so and see if my WD symptoms improve. If they do, I should then go down to 4mg, and do the same with checking to see if the withdrawal symptoms improve and then down to 3mg etc after another 4 weeks etc etc

What would I do, if say, 5ng didn't make a difference for me. Would I go straight to 10? Im afraid of starting at 5 and then finding that it made no difference and having to go back to 10.

Would be a lot easier if I had a psychiatrist, but of course it would be that when I'm in need of one most, there's a long waiting waiting list.

For any of you, from what you've witnessed, heard of, or experienced, how long does it normally take to feel better after beginning the Prozac again? I'm not sure how much longer I ca handle this for. It's crippling.

Another thing, from what you guys have experienced or seen on here, does reinstating normally make people feel better right away? Do they still experience bad withdrawal even after tapering slowly.

I've read that prozac stays in your body the longest which makes for an easy withdrawal time but I'm having a horrendous time at the moment even with having being on just 10mg. Does the long half-life mean it might take longer for me to notice the effects? So would I need to wait, say 5-6 weeks instead of 4 before tapering off to a lower dose?

Finally fell asleep at around 3am, woke up just now at 6:30am, now gonna try and fall back asleep :(

Also, I'm constantly fighting the urge to like. Of I see something gross - the tiniest thing even - I begin to gag and have to run to the bathroom only nothing happens , I just gag.

Last time I actually threw up was when I was 12. Not sure if this is withdrawal symptoms.

I'm considering reinstating and going back on 10mg of Prozac (my original dose), but before I do, I was wondering if this combination should be avoided?

It's all natural.

The Gabba is 100% Natural from Natural factors : http://www.canadianvitaminshop.com/Product/Natural-Factors-STRESS-RELAX-GABA---Tropical-Fruit-Flavour(Amazon reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Factors-Stress-Relax-Chewable-60-Count/dp/B000R8IPR0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top )

The Natural Calm is one of the most popular supplements for magnesium : http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-Raspberry-Lemon/dp/B00BPUY3W0

My family doctor isnt available at the moment, so I cant ask. 

Do any of you know if it helps with withdrawal symptoms. 

Call a local pharmacist who should be able to help you out.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

RM,

Please post all of your questions about your situation and your medications here in your thread.

Why are you wanting to take GABA? We have a topic that gives information about it in the Symptoms forum.

Many people prefer to take mag citrate or glycinate in tablet form as the Calm powder can often cause bowel upset if you try to take too much of it. Please see the magnesium topic for more information.

You can put the drug and supplement combinations in the Drug Interactions Checker

There is no drug or supplement that we know of that will take away withdrawal symptoms.

Please read the links Petu so helpfully gave you.

I see you have already started taking GABA.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Seeing as my 10mg of prozac is in the tablet form that can't be cut, should I just reinstate at 10mg rather than 4 or 5? I don't have the necessary materials to change my prozac capsules into liquid at the moment.

I

RM,

Please post all of your questions about your situation and your medications here in your thread.

Why are you wanting to take GABA? We have a topic that gives information about it in the Symptoms forum.

Many people prefer to take mag citrate or glycinate in tablet form as the Calm powder can often cause bowel upset if you try to take too much of it. Please see the magnesium topic for more information.

You can put the drug and supplement combinations in the Drug Interactions Checker

There is no drug or supplement that we know of that will take away withdrawal symptoms.

Please read the links Petu so helpfully gave you.

I see you have already started taking GABA.

took 2 yesterday (gaba) before I found the site and before I considered going back on Prozac. I haven't taken anymore since then. I'm not sure what to do anymore, I'm so lost.

I want to reinstate prozac for sure but I'm afraid of going to 10mg but also afraid of 4/5mg (super anxious today). Have any of you reinstated back with your original prescription?

Alright, so its 12pm now, and I decided to take the 10mg as I dont have an accurate way of getting down to 4 or 5mg at the moment. 

How long should I stay on 10mg...I read on here 4-6 weeks. Is that the normal or general time frame for most people...I know it varies but generally speaking. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you'd probably be better off getting a pill splitter (at any drugstore) and splitting your pills as accurately as you can and taking 5 mg rather than the full 10 mg. We find that after being off for a number of weeks, people are often too sensitized to take the full dose they quit at.

If you feel grrrrEAT! today, though, after taking the 10 mg, it would be okay to stay there. The danger signs would be if you feel too overstimulated (worsened anxiety, insomnia etc.) in which case you should go to the half-tablet tomorrow.

As soon as possible, look into either getting the prescription liquid form, or getting stuff to make your own liquid. You will need that for tapering anyway.

Here's the thing: Your nervous system is jumbled up from the too-fast taper and quitting at too high a dose. This is something that won't go away or fix itself overnight. It's going to take time. Ideally, a reinstatement will reduce your symptoms enough that you can find life tolerable (and keep them from getting worse, which they can at this point). It won't fix you or make all the withdrawal symptoms disappear.

Once you have stabilized on your reinstated dose--which as Petu said above, can take some time--you can then begin a regular taper. I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. 

The links that Petu gave you are full of good info, as well as all the topics "pinned" at the tops of sections, and the links in those topics.  

It's also helpful to start realizing that these aren't drugs like aspirin or alcohol, that affect you for a while while they're in your body and then get cleared out. They actually remodel your brain around the drug's chemistry, like a plant growing on a trellis. When you yank out the trellis it's not pretty. Here's a little more on that: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=89767

Let us know how you do with the 10 mg. I think 5 might be safer, but it's up to you. I would recommend doing the most accurate pill splitting you can and taking half one day and the other half the next day; with Prozac there's a bit of overlap with the longer-acting metabolites so that might work out well as a temporary solution, until you can get more accurate measuring.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I think you'd probably be better off getting a pill splitter (at any drugstore) and splitting your pills as accurately as you can and taking 5 mg rather than the full 10 mg. We find that after being off for a number of weeks, people are often too sensitized to take the full dose they quit at.

If you feel grrrrEAT! today, though, after taking the 10 mg, it would be okay to stay there. The danger signs would be if you feel too overstimulated (worsened anxiety, insomnia etc.) in which case you should go to the half-tablet tomorrow.

As soon as possible, look into either getting the prescription liquid form, or getting stuff to make your own liquid. You will need that for tapering anyway.

Here's the thing: Your nervous system is jumbled up from the too-fast taper and quitting at too high a dose. This is something that won't go away or fix itself overnight. It's going to take time. Ideally, a reinstatement will reduce your symptoms enough that you can find life tolerable (and keep them from getting worse, which they can at this point). It won't fix you or make all the withdrawal symptoms disappear.

Once you have stabilized on your reinstated dose--which as Petu said above, can take some time--you can then begin a regular taper. I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. 

The links that Petu gave you are full of good info, as well as all the topics "pinned" at the tops of sections, and the links in those topics.  

It's also helpful to start realizing that these aren't drugs like aspirin or alcohol, that affect you for a while while they're in your body and then get cleared out. They actually remodel your brain around the drug's chemistry, like a plant growing on a trellis. When you yank out the trellis it's not pretty. Here's a little more on that: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=89767

Let us know how you do with the 10 mg. I think 5 might be safer, but it's up to you. I would recommend doing the most accurate pill splitting you can and taking half one day and the other half the next day; with Prozac there's a bit of overlap with the longer-acting metabolitesT so that might work out well as a temporary solution, until you can get more accurate measuring.

Once again, thanks for the thorough answer!  I'm not able to split pills since my Prozac is a capsule with the outer plasticy part and inside the powder. After taking the 10mg of Prozac, I feel the same. Not better but not worse. It normally takes a while for any effects to show up, but this makes it difficult to tell whether the 10mg is good or if I should go on the 5mg. 

Would it do my body harm to go onto 5mg tomorrow after being on 10mg today? Or should I just stick to the 10? 

I went out and bought the only oral syringe I could find. http://www.pharmasystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1240

I read the thread regarding how to dissolve it, but I'm still a little bit confused. 

So would I put one entire 10mg Prozax capsule into a cup of water (10mL?) and remove the plastic outer coat of the pill, and then fill it up to the 9mL line on the syringe and drink it? I'm not sure how to go about it exactly lol!

Lastly, my doctor prescribed me Seroquel (Quetiapine) last week when I told her I didnt get any sleep one night and having a difficult time staying asleep. I have yet to take it in fear that it'll affect me or I'll become dependent on it. Anyone have experience with it? 

Do not jump around in your doses, pick a dose and stick to it. You could have waited a bit before starting it and gotten your measuring technique down and started with a lower dose but that cannot be helped now. So stay on your chosen dose for at least 4 days and keep track of your symptoms on paper. It takes that long for your body to register a dose. In the mean time, re-read the links you were given above, they will answer your questions on how to dilute the medication.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Welcome, RealMadrid.

Does your pill come in a two-piece jacket that looks like plastic? That is a capsule. You can open it and empty it to make a liquid. Read this topic:   Tips for Tapering off Prozac it explains how to make a liquid.

We suggest trying perhaps 2mg to start. This can be enough to take away the withdrawal symptoms. Many times, going back on a full dose is too much for someone like yourself and makes them worse. It's best to start low and test the waters.

nz11, I appreciate your zeal but everyone has a choice -- no one MUST take our suggestions. We're only peer counselors.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I've been in bed since about 10:20pm, it's now 11:55 and I'm still not asleep. I haven't had this issue before. I was constantly yawning in the morning since I only slept from 3:20am-6:30am so I'm dead tired but I'm not feeling as tired now.

What do you guys do to help fall asleep. I have seroquel that my doctor prescribed last week as I told her I didn't get why sleep this one night. I'm not sure if I should take it though.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RealMadrid,

Withdrawal symptoms can appear as long as 9 months after stopping ssri's.     Sleep disturbance and anxiety , panic attacks seem par for the course.  Hopefully reinstating will put a stop to the symptoms , but things might also get worse (sorry to say).

I found seroquel a life-saver when my withdrawal got more than I could handle.   If I were you I would try taking half , or even a quarter , of a 25mg tablet and see how that goes.

Seroquel can be very sedating , and that may be enough.    What dose did your doc suggest?

I've also found big relief from sleeplessness the last 2 nights from Melatonin 1.5mg.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi RealMadrid,

Withdrawal symptoms can appear as long as 9 months after stopping ssri's. Sleep disturbance and anxiety , panic attacks seem par for the course. Hopefully reinstating will put a stop to the symptoms , but things might also get worse (sorry to say).

I found seroquel a life-saver when my withdrawal got more than I could handle. If I were you I would try taking half , or even a quarter , of a 25mg tablet and see how that goes.

Seroquel can be very sedating , and that may be enough. What dose did your doc suggest?

I've also found big relief from sleeplessness the last 2 nights from Melatonin 1.5mg.

She prescribed a 25mg doSe so nothing big, but still, after reading the side effects, it made me very weary of this medication. Those are some pretty serious side effects, and it can interact with Prozac so I'm not sure why I was prescribed that. At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I'm gonna wait a bit to see if I can fall asleep.

Keep track of your symptoms on paper. The 10 mg dose of prozac may have been a bit too much to go back on, your inability to fall asleep easily might be reflecting that. Trying to dampen that with another drug (instead of lowering the dose of prozac) might not be a good idea. Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic, not a drug to promote sleep.

Keep track of your symptoms on paper. The 10 mg dose of prozac may have been a bit too much to go back on, your inability to fall asleep easily might be reflecting that. Trying to dampen that with another drug (instead of lowering the dose of prozac) might not be a good idea. Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic, not a drug to promote sleep.

So let's say that the reason I couldn't fall asleep is that the 10mg were too much, what would I do then? Yesterday was my first day taking the 10mg, so would I continue taking the 10mg? If so for how long and what would I then do?

I did end up falling asleep at 3am, and woke up at 10:30, slept for a bit more till 11:15am.

I did get it into bed at 10:15 though, at 11:50 noticed it still wasn't sleeping. I got out of bed a few times within the timeframe between 10-3 as I was anxious.

My bad, on my phone so it did a double post.

Anyways my question is should I definitely stay on the 10mg for a few days. If let's say, the trouble falling asleep is because of the 10mg prozac, what would Ido then?

RM it is up to you. The longer you stay on a higher dose the longer you will have to stay on it so as not to antagonize your nervous system by bouncing around in dosages. The reason we say to start low is so things like 'over activation' are not as likely to happen and why Alto suggested 2mg. That was based on your ending dose and the length of time you were off it altogether. And then you don't have so much of the drug left to taper. I t would be hard to suggest a dose now seeing as how you don't seem ready to prepare a lower dose from your capsule. Are you? If you want to try say 5 mg or even 2 mg tomorrow, would you know how to measure it out? And how would we be able to predict if you will continue having problems falling and staying asleep?

RM it is up to you. The longer you stay on a higher dose the longer you will have to stay on it so as not to antagonize your nervous system by bouncing around in dosages. The reason we say to start low is so things like 'over activation' are not as likely to happen and why Alto suggested 2mg. That was based on your ending dose and the length of time you were off it altogether. And then you don't have so much of the drug left to taper. I t would be hard to suggest a dose now seeing as how you don't seem ready to prepare a lower dose from your capsule. Are you? If you want to try say 5 mg or even 2 mg tomorrow, would you know how to measure it out? And how would we be able to predict if you will continue having problems falling and staying asleep?

I took 10mg before I read this, as I was afraid of jumping around in doses a lot. 

Tomorrow, would I be able to take 5mg without antagonizing my nervous system? I'm going to do a test run and see if I can dissolve my 10mg and put 5mg into an oral syringe to see if I can do it. 

Also, I haven't mentioned this yet as I didn't think much of it. Some days, when I'm anxious/nervous about getting to sleep - when I begin to wonder 'what if I don't fall asleep again' etc - I begin to shake a lot in bed and feel very restless. I'll have to get out of bed and pace around back and forth because I can't stand just lying in bed. It causes anxiety. 

Yesterday, for example, I slept from 3:00-6:30am and got out of bed as I wasn;t able to fall back asleep and had to pace back and forth for HOURS. My boyfriend who was downstairs tried to get me to sit down, but I just kept pacing around the room. I'm okay to sit down, but I don't like to lie down as that's when I begin to feel anxious. 

This is mainly for the first few hours in the morning, and then in the afternoon it's not as bad. But over the past few weeks or so, I tend to wake up

feeling anxious.

Have any of you experienced this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RM,

What you're describing is low-grade akathisia . . . "inability to be still".    Like a trembling quivver under the skin , a low electrical current running through your body.

Pacing is a tell-tale sign.     It's part of withdrawal syndrome , and will fluctuate in intensity throughout the day.

At this point it's impossible to say your sleep disturbance is from taking the Prozac 10mg , because you had sleep problems before you reinstated.  

The Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic as C/W said , and when used for that the daily dose is about 800mg.

It is very sedating , and at small doses can reduce anxious thoughts and body sensations , and promote sleep.

xxx

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg