ChinmayJoshi: Recover from short dose of Sertriline 25

ChinmayJoshi

A short dose of Sertriline 25 prescribed by doctor (to make feel better) while recovering from back pain. The doctor was physician and did not have any physchological expertise...
5 days on Sertriline 25 made feel crazy. Started singing in public, got too emotional and sensitive and sometimes think of leaving family and live in some remote place.
Stopped taking sertriline immediately, however after 8 days, still not completely recovered.
Emotional sensitiveness and weird future plans still haunt me..

How much time it would take to recover fully from these symptoms ? Should i see a pschologist to recover or just stopping Sertriline is sufficient ??

From your description it appears you are very sensitive to psychotropic medications and you may not wish to ever take them again in the future. Even being on them a very short time is enough to cause you to experience things differently and it will take some time for the effects to wear off, they are not like aspirin. They have quite a mental and emotional effect as you have seen and I don't know as I would continue to see a doctor who prescribes an antidepressant for PAIN.

It may take more time for the effects to subside. Make sure you keep yourself well nourished and hydrated with water in the meantime. Some members find that using fish oil helps their mental status some, Please see our Symptoms and Self Care forum in the meantime and it might be helpful to read our topic on neuro emotions too. Here is also a topic discussing them.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Mentor

what is sertraline 25?  25 mg?  Please try your best to write down all the drugs you have been on..... called a signature.     If you only been on it five days, gosh you will recover.    Some of us been on it for years.    

I am in withdrawals, will take me years.  You, have seen the "light" you KNOW what has caused your weird reaction.  Stay off all psycho drugs, please.  Are you working?  How dare a doctor give you a psycho drug for back pain?

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

From your description it appears you are very sensitive to psychotropic medications and you may not wish to ever take them again in the future. Even being on them a very short time is enough to cause you to experience things differently and it will take some time for the effects to wear off, they are not like aspirin. They have quite a mental and emotional effect as you have seen and I don't know as I would continue to see a doctor who prescribes an antidepressant for PAIN.

It may take more time for the effects to subside. Make sure you keep yourself well nourished and hydrated with water in the meantime. Some members find that using fish oil helps their mental status some, Please see our Symptoms and Self Care forum in the meantime and it might be helpful to read our topic on neuro emotions too. Here is also a topic discussing them.

I think you mean,,, WOULD NOT  continue to see a doctor who prescribes .... antidepressant for pain... 

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm confident you will recover.  How have your symptoms changes since you stopped taking the medication.   You say you are not totally back to normal so I assume you have seen some change

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks all for your inputs and suggestions... really valuable for me...

I have observed following changes in my bahviour....

After started taking Sertriline 25 mg (twice a day)...

1. Started talking abnormally loud and also laughed loud at simple jokes at public places...

2. used to sing a song loudly for no reason... I usually never do that but was fond of music in my childhood days...

3. Started fighting with my family members for things which did not go wll with me... but those were very old days... like 10-20 years back...

4. Some old thoughts and plans which were not successful started coming back to my mind... And though they are not feasible today, I keep thinking about them and start planning future with the same plans...

5. Got very emotional.. would cry out loud on small fights...

6. started living in a shell where I am surrounded by my own thoughts... disconnected from surroundings...

After I stopped the dossage...

Emotional sensitiveness and doing crazy things in public has reduced a lot... but other things have not improved much...

I still take things granted to happend the way I want it to... and then try to convince everyone that how my version of story is justified...

CJ,

It may take some time for your thinking processes to return to what they were before you took the drug and we are confident you will recover. It is safe to ignore any odd thoughts you are now having as they are not 'you'

Some members report using a good quality fish oil sometimes helps. Here is our topic on that.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

It has been more than 3 weeks now... the symptoms of side effect are somewhat reduced... but still not completely normal...

I am seeking help of Homeopathic treatment for the recovery ... Not very keen to go with Alopathic/Psycho medicines again ... specially when first experience has been very disturbing...

If someone has any inputs to help recover ... please suggest...

• Administrator

Welcome, ChinmayJoshi.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

It's a good sign your symptoms have reduced somewhat. You may wish to practice meditation or another calming discipline to cope with the mental agitation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.