☼ 302zoloft

302zoloft

Anyone recommend any supplements to help stabilise my brain and nervous system?

I'm taking omega fish oils and b complex vitamins. Read about gaba, magnesium and calcium? Amino acids? Just want to try and help my body as much as possible.

50mg daily Zoloft (Sertraline) since March 2011 (For Panic Attacks/Anxiety)
25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 302zoloft

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling very agitated and my jaw keeps clenching????

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 
Thurs 29th jan; took a one-off dose 20mg fluoxetine in an effort to get rid of withdrawal side effects
Sat 31st jan; in desperation took one off dose 50mg sertraline. Got very anxious and spiraled, so was given 5mg Valium to take every four hours for the weekend until psych appt mon
Mon 2nd feb; psych told me to take 75mg venlafaxine and 1mg lorazepam three times a day
Tuesday 3rd feb; took 12.5mg sertraline and 1mg lorazepam but couldn't take it the full day as instructed by doc.
Plan to follow advice from here and take 12.5mg sertraline daily. I also take b vitamin complex and omega fish oils daily (stopped fish oils and b vits 4th feb as advised. Continuing with 12.5mg sertraline)

You have consistently taken more of the zoloft than Alto recommended: you took 50 mg Sat, not sure what you took on Sunday, 25 mg yesterday and now 12.5 mg today in addition to a large dose of prozac one day in there. Alto recommended a smaller dose of 10 mg and not 12.5. You will have to try not to panic, you have too much SSRI in your system right now, it just doesn't have a reduction in effects after it leaves your system, that takes time and it appears you are very sensitive to it now. Remain calm and try to rest, there is unfortunately no pill or supplement you can take that will make this better right now but rest assured it WILL go away if you stop putting so much of the drug back into your system.

Darken the room, make sure you eat something and drink plenty of water. Cut out as much stimulation from the environment that you can and do something to distract yourself form all this worry, it is just making it worse. Try a warm bath with epsom salts too, in fact more than one bath will help till your system calms down.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I only took 50 Saturday. I haven't taken any other than today; 12.5mg. Sorry for any confusion.

The syringes should be here tomorrow so I can better measure the amount by adding the pill to water as today I quartered the pill which I know isn't exact but I didn't want to not take it....

Have lots of pressure from mother to take the venlafaxine. You think I will feel better on 12.5mg consistently by the weekend? Thanks for all your help

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Go back and read your thread from the beginning and read all of the links we gave you. Pay very close attention to the posts that Alto wrote.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I have read all the links. Was up most last night. 12.5mg for at least four days.

Ordered a syringe. Ordered Epsom salts.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Alto initially suggested a tiny dose of prozac (5 mg) since you seemed to be keen on that. Then when you expressed an interest in restarting the sertraline she said 12.5 mg. She changed that to 10 mg yesterday after seeing what the larger dose of it did to you.

A quick trip to the local pharmacy would get you some epsom salts quicker? That would actually go a long way toward calming your system down. Even just several warm baths today would be good. Wearing sunglasses (even in the house!) or even if it is cloudy has much benefit too. Try to rest quietly as much as you can and stay off the computer (I know it is hard but the blue light the screen emits is really activating on the nervous system, and wearing blue blocking glasses really helps.)

Many find meditative breathing helpful. I never did, too high stung. But I played endless games of solitaire on the comp with a blue blocking program on it.

This really will get better!

I couldn't do 10mg today as don't have the syringe to do the water solution, hence why I quartered my 50mg pill today. Tomorrow can do 10mg accurately.

It's winter in England; so there is no sun ???? I went shopping (food) today to get out the house. I think in the morning I need to go for a walk to get rid of the anxious/cortisol feeling I start with. IM usually so busy when at work etc the last three or four weeks have been hard as I hate not doing anything. I did paint our new bathroom which was something. And I try and busy myself around the house tidying etc or take my parents dog for walks.

I don't think the prescription for the lorazepam the psych gave me is good. I only took one today but it says take three daily; id be a zombie!!!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Lorazepam is a benzo and it says nothing in your signature to the effect that you are taking a benzo. We need all of your drugs accounted for and any supplements you are taking.

Walks are good and winter is good too unless the lack of sunshine causes gloom. The best thing you can do to calm your nervous system is 1/2 hour of gentle walking every day. Do not underestimate this and the importance of eating regular meals and snacks. A low blood sugar really causes all sorts of symptoms that can be avoided with small snacks. I used to feed my cortisol as much as I could and took it out for walks with out fail though I really hated them (really hated them because they made me anxious too!), but I don't think I missed more than 10 daily walks in one whole year, a friend called me up and took me every day.

You might want to consider dropping the B vitamins since they can be very stimulating for some people.  I still can't take them and I'm almost ten years med-free.  I have found magnesium to be very calming so you could try that.  I know you're very scared right now; many of us have been there and can sympathize.  I think you are on the right track by going back to Zoloft but it will take time to adjust back to it.  No jumping around in doses ... stick with a dose for a while.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

Sorry; it keeps changing! They had me on diazepam all weekend 5mg every four hours and it was awful. Then today meant to be on 1mg three times a day of lorazepam but I just can't do it. Only managed once today daren't take the other two.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Oh okay; I didn't know that about the b vit. What about Berocca or something? I'm trying to get vitamins in me as I really struggle to eat. Usually manage a banana and some toast till dinner.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Try something like Sustagen 302 , the vanilla one.   Hot milk (2 minutes in the microwave)   and it dissolves easily and is yummy.    I have it everyday so I know I've had at least one nutritionally balanced meal.   Sits nicely in the tum too.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I was going to try slim fast with milk in the morning so I get nutrition and fibre. Not to lose weight as already lost eight lbs from my lower appetite.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Babs on the b vitamins. At the moment your nutrition is less of a concern than your destabilised nervous system. Get your system right and you may be able to stomach proper food. Fresh has given you a suggestion in the mean time

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I just thought I needed to try and keep some balance?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

What about amino acids to help the nervous system?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

If it was me I would privilege stabilising my withdrawal.

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

But how? Back on sertraline, Epsom bath tomorrow, light exercise, keep busy. Any more tips to help balance?

Thanks again to all of you taking the time to post replies.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

keep your drugs the same, consider dropping B vitamins, epsom bath, gentle exercise if that's not too much, minimise stress, consider your sugar/caffeine intake and drop if they stimulate you 

• Administrator

It's going to take some time for your nervous system to stabilize on 12.5mg Zoloft or 10mg Zoloft.

Since you've started 12.5mg Zoloft, give that a good try. Be sure to take the same amount at the same time each day.

Keep calm, do not throw in confounding factors such as other drugs if you can avoid it.

Going up and down in dosage or getting impatient and trying other drugs or supplements works against stabilizing your nervous system.

It's likely you're very sensitive right now, be careful with remedies.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have taken the 12.5mg again today. I have had a slim fast shake and am trying to get a banana down. I have an appointment with the gp for one last ditch attempt at getting the liquid sertraline and then I am changing surgeries.

IT took me a long while to get off to sleep last night but I peresevered and didn't take anything to try and help. Because of that I tried to stay in bed a little longer but woke up with anxiety and being agitated from a dream. Just getting dressed to go for a short walk. Then going to try and keep myself busy until my fiancée returns around 2pm.

Keeping focused and positive is difficult. I also really struggle not to stress about how things have changed and not having control over things right now.

Looking forward to an Epsom salt bath later; hope that helps!!!!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey 302  ,   if you look on ang's thread ,   btdt has posted some relaxation/guided meditation clips.   

Try laying down and listening to one , I found them very helpful  :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks fresh; I have been listening to some from YouTube which I have found effective. Also practicing diaphragm breathing.

What's the deal with liquid bum??? (Sorry)

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I don’t understand why psychiatrists suggest alternating days on and off medication when you are trying to taper. I have a young psychiatrist and I hoped she would “get it” about withdrawal syndrome but no; she denies that I can have a reaction to lowering some drugs by 50% (!) and often suggests one day on and one day off. So I am just doing it how I think it works best and try the 10% guidelines here. I went CT off Effexor several years ago and would NEVER do that again nor would I recommend it. THe help/suggestions you get here are far and away better/more practical/helpful than that given by any psychiatrist I have found. 

I know. It's so frustrating. I'm back at the doctors today to try for the last time to get the liquid so I can taper off better. Feel better since taking 12.5mg the last couple of days but think the liquid is my best bet long term to reduce 10%

Spoke to a really helpful Bristol and districts who support the slow withdrawal and levelling out for a month or so on 12.5mg

Their details; Bristol & Districts Tranquilliser Project

0117 962 8874

10 – 4pm Mon to Thurs

www.btpinfo.org.uk

This group helps people worldwide with telephone counselling and has 4 support groups each week in Bristol.

Telephone calls are preferred as resources are limited to deal with written correspondence.

They have even said my doctor can call them to confirm what they have suggested in support. On Bristol (I'm outside) they also write to gps with letters of support. Almost worth moving those six hours away just for that support. Also made another appointment with a psych for a second opinion as I don't think I'm depressed, I don't think I need venlafaxine and I cannot possibly take 3mg each day of lorazepam which the Bristol districts project advised me was equivalent to 30mg of Valium!!!!!

The doctor has me in the waiting room as he needs to call around to see what the best thing is to taper off but he has in principle agreed to prescribe the liquid. Fingers still crossed.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

Long story short; no liquid sertraline.

Doctor called around (don't know where) and told me it is unlicensed so he couldn't prescribe it but will call me this week with suitable alternatives (assuming fluoxetine or something) to taper off. He said that he has never heard of anyone so sensitive and if I couldn't do one day on one off then he had no suggestions. Spoke to pharmacist who agreed that coming off the way I did is not a good idea and asked which doctor it was. I have registered with the new doctor surgery where I will get an appointment tomorrow to see if I have any luck. Syringes also didn't arrive today as promised so still limited to cutting my pill in quarter. Thinking I should get some mini scales and do it that way? Worried about the suspension or lack off in water and not getting the proper or consistent amount? Thoughts?

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Administrator

You can make your own liquid, see Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

You might be able to get oral syringes from a veterinary, see Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

In the meantime, I would stick with quartering tablets, imprecise as it may be. It would be a good idea for you to stay at 12.5mg for a month or more. The liquid will enable more precise dosing and titration.

It may take a while for your nervous system to settle. How are you feeling now? It's been 2 days on 12.5mg, correct?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am feeling okay thank you. I'm still struggling to eat. I had a short walk today and kept busy; even went to see a friend. Definitely improved since the spiral last week. I am looking forward to my Epsom salt bath tonight!!!

i just wonder; if I struggled on 25mg why am I now settling on even less? (Not complaining, just trying to understand)

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Administrator

Your nervous system is sensitized. See What is withdrawal syndrome?

• Moderator Emeritus

So happy you've turned a corner 302  :)

LOL @ liquid bum ...typo?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Me too. All thanks to all you!

No type sadly; my system just out of whack I guess! Hoping to go back to work next week!!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

• Moderator Emeritus

Ahhh , hence the bananas.    I get it now.   I used to think of it like I had a puree machine in my gut ... that too will pass  (no pun intended).  ; )

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

It's so gross!! I have some fybogel to help in the morning. It's not even purée it's just water :(

Lost 8lbs in last three weeks. Not a fun diet mind you! The only way is hopefully up now.

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

I'm struggling a bit today; didn't sleep well and had nightmares then struggled to lie in and make up some of the lost sleep time. Anxious and tense. So many ups and downs. I want to be back at work but still not up to it. This is so frustrating. Half wish I had never started this journey to come off. I thought I had my anxiety under control but seems not since the last three or four weeks. Or is it just a wd symptom? But no one knows for sure! Or how long!

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015 

The Bristol project I mentioned above have suggested tomorrow I go back up to 25ng for a month to six weeks then change to 15mg metazapine and come off that as the tablet is easier to cut. Any thoughts?

The doctor from yesterday called and said that I should go back to 25mg for 4 days and then take one every other day; despite what I have told him about that not working for me. I thanked him but said I had now moved surgeries.

I hate the mornings and early afternoons. I hate the anxiety and racing thoughts I hace. It's so much better in the late afternoon and evenings. Why??

I managed a slim fast shake and half a cup of porridge this morning before I started wretching. Not sure work next week is going to be doable? Unless this 12.5mg stabilises at the weekend?

What do you think about the suggestion to go to 25mg as that's where I was last stable at (although I had a week of crying and feeling crai, but was that just because of the bronchitis?)

25mg since Nov 2014
0mg since 21st Jan 2015