jazminet: tapering fluoxitine

jazminet

I'm looking for some advice, I've been taking 40mg of fluoxetine daily since being diagnosed 2 years ago. I'm now ready to start reducing my dose and have been reading lots of posts on this and other forums. If I use the method of opening the capsules and dividing the powder out could I not just put the powder back into the capsule after measuring instead of buying new gelatin capsules? Also should I start by just taking out one quarter of the powder of one capsule? So I'd be taking 1 full 20 mg capsule and 1 capsule which would have 3 quarters of the powder?

Jazminet,

I have moved your post in the tapering forum to this forum to start your introductory topic where you may keep track of your progress and ask questions about how to taper off fluoxitine.

What were you diagnosed with 2 years ago that you were given fluoxitine? Doctors have gotten in the habit of prescribing these drugs for a variety of reasons having nothing to do with their original use. And why are you wanting to get off of it at this time? Were you able to read our information about getting off the drugs safely by only decreasing them by 10% or less of the CURRENT DOSE every 4-6 weeks only if you remain stable?

If you decrease by 25% that is far faster than we recommend and might set you up for withdrawal syndrome.

Here are some helpful links:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You have to remember that these drugs are not often able to remain stable and pharmacologically active when exposed to air and light after you have opened the capsule. Were you just planning on throwing the excess away? Will you have access to enough of the drug to last for a safe taper if you discard the medication you don't plan to take? Do you have access to a scale to accurately measure out how much of the powder to take each time?

All of these topics are covered in the above links.

I hope I have not given you too much to read but that is what you will need to do to get a solid background before you contemplate doing a taper off psychoactive drugs. This topic is most important:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually, CW, she said she was thinking of taking out one quarter of one capsule which is actually an eighth of the total, which isn't so bad especially at such a high dose (40 mg).

Jazminet, your questions may already be answered in the "tapering Prozac" thread that CW gave you the link to above. I'd read through that if I were you. 

It's okay to post questions specific to Prozac formulations there, but if you have questions that are more general, about your situation, about how to taper, and about withdrawal in general, it's better to post them here in your Intro and Update thread, because they'll get quicker attention here.

As far as taking out powder then putting it back into the original capsule, that should be fine, but you need to keep in mind that all that manipulation (removing powder, replacing it) is going to cause you to lose a certain percentage of the drug and should be included in your calculations for tapering. Eventually, especially as you get to lower doses (below about 5 mg) (which is where tapers get trickier) you may want to switch to using some kind of liquid formulation for tapering. That's probably addressed in that Prozac thread.

And definitely I do recommend reading through the links CW gave you above. It's worth taking the time to learn and prepare, to avoid withdrawal, which can be a pretty miserable and life-wrecking experience.

Welcome to the forum! I hope we can help you. With care, you can come down off this stuff safely.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jazminette, welcome to our little corner of the world wide web. I'm glad that you found us before starting your taper, most of us ended up here in withdrawal after  tapering psychoactive drugs too fast or quitting cold turkey. Thankfully you will be able to avoid that now you know the best way to taper.  :)  You will find lots of information here and a very supportive community. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome  Jazminet.       Just wanted to say HI.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jazminet!  Welcome!

It's so good that you are looking out for ways to do this in the safest way possible!

Is this your first experience with antidepressants?  If you do this gently, you have a good chance of coming clear.  It may seem longer to do it the SA way - but we try to keep it so that symptoms and problems are at a minimum - which - really - even if it seems slow - actually speeds up the recovery process because it's slow and steady instead of spikes and valleys and crashes and booms.

I know, you've been given a lot of info up there but I would also ask you to put your history in your signature.  It helps us so much, and it could be relevant if you were put on any psych drugs earlier in life, and how you came off of them then.  It helps us to understand your possible risks.

The info you find here is massive, detailed, and precise.  We hope to get you off this drug with as few symptoms or problems as possible.  IF that's what you want.  As I've said to others here, SA is about taking charge of your own self, your own dosages, and finding the best way through.  We're not survivors for nothing!

Here's how to do your signature, here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=view&do=showConversation&topicID=5907#msg26929

Later, when you are more comfortable, we can talk about your support (it's important to have support in place for a taper), and other things you can do (such as mindfulness or alternative health services, or even just having good friends to talk to) to make your journey, well, more supported.

Welcome!  Look forward to hearing from you!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

PS - new gelatine capsules are cheap!  Do you have a scale!?  Doing that by eyeball is pretty tricky.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!