apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

Stopping past to say  "hey".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Stopping past to say  "hey".

Hey, ho.

Lumineers -- 2012

Thanks for the visit oh great source of inspiration!

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

You're just too "humble" Andy.  LOL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Sorry to hear about your struggles. When you wrote about thinking you need to continue your taper ~ I admit that thought has crossed my mind as well. Somehow I don't think complete body healing can take place until I'm no longer putting Zoloft in my body. I've held the past few months & am beginning the final taper. Of course, I have to throw in my opinion about DARE & diet (sorry!!). I've found 5HTP & GABA calm to be helpful. But I know they are not recommended on this site. 

Anyway, hoping the next time I check in that you'll be feeling better. 

All my best to you.   

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/24/2017 at 11:23 AM, bromor said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles. When you wrote about thinking you need to continue your taper ~ I admit that thought has crossed my mind as well. Somehow I don't think complete body healing can take place until I'm no longer putting Zoloft in my body. I've held the past few months & am beginning the final taper. Of course, I have to throw in my opinion about DARE & diet (sorry!!). I've found 5HTP & GABA calm to be helpful. But I know they are not recommended on this site. 

Thanks for the kind words, B.  It's been a rough go of it for the past several months, but I've continued to do all that I need to do in my life so I am grateful for that.

I don't know about the need to be off the meds or not -- I think it really depends person to person. Some people can heal with the drug still in their system and others may need to be further down or off.  It's really hard to know how it affects each person.

Thanks for always checking in.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well, it's July 5th so time for the monthly update.  Unfortunately, it's still not very pretty.  No real improvement to speak of.  

I have reduced my dose down to 14.8 mg.  I am currently on a program of reduction by anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5% on a weekly basis with optional 1 week holds after several weeks of reduction or if I notice a real drop-off in how I'm feeling.  I don't notice huge dose-response changes and am still quite frustrated that no pattern has really emerged that would allow me to predict how I will react.  It still feels very much like a daily game of "let's see which crappy symptoms are bothering me today" with little rhyme or reason.  Kind of like "spinning the roulette wheel of withdrawal."  

The most challenging symptoms at this point remain:

• detachment from the world, i.e., dp/dr that leaves me in the classic "acting in the movie of my life" that characterizes the condition for many
  • a sense of imbalance/dizziness that is mostly constant but from which I have had a few extended (several days) periods of release
  • health anxiety that is in direct response to body aches/pains/sensations that are too numerous to list and which change daily/hourly (from mouth/jaw/tooth pain to hip pain and shooting pains in the arms/chest, etc.)
  • anxiety and depression that are more generalized but which I can normally "wait out" because I cycle out of them reasonably quickly

The rest of the list is too long to bother with and are mostly transient in any event.

I am under a fair amount of stress between working my full-time job and the fact that my brother-in-law is living with us due to his separation from his wife.  We are in the process of building out a small building we have on our property into an apartment for him so he can get back on his feet.  So, in addition to work and family obligations, I am serving as a construction manager as we go through the process of building it out.  If I were not in withdrawal, I think this would be a fun project and the fact that I am struggling mightily with it is an indication to me that I have a LOT of healing to do.

At this point I have not changed anything for quite some time and don't really see any point to doing so.  I have tried a lot of things over time and they have all either made me worse or had no measurable improvement over time.  The longer I go through this process the more I come to see that time is really the one thing that allows for improvement. While some may see benefit from changes here and there, once the body normalizes to the change and returns to homeostasis, the tendency is to regress to the mean and wind up back where you were before unless the pendulum "overshoots" or you react adversely in which case you wind up worse off until you restabilize.  

I do, however, continue to be full of doubt about my recovery along with doubt that "this is all really withdrawal."  This too is very consistent with what I've read in many success stories, where people did not think there was a chance they would improve until they did.  Thus, I try to "shake off" the negativity with the use of the various coping mechanisms that I can fit into my day.  These include:

• meditation
  • gratitude (see happyfeed.com)
  • journaling
  • exercise 
  • daily walking
  • heartmath (HRV training)
  • maintaining a good diet (although I confess to more sweets of late that I need to cut out)
  • continued learning (for the brain and self-improvement)

In short, I am in a holding pattern at what I would describe as a fairly but not overwhelmingly uncomfortable place.  To put that into more understandable terms, this is a place where I can manage my symptoms with the expectation I will get better, but not a place where I would be content to live the rest of my life.

I try to get involved in the threads of other members where possible because I believe that to the extent we can "pay it forward" and help others in need, we see growth and improvement in ourselves.  I appreciate those of you who follow my thread and provide comfort, reassurance and words of wisdom.

My best and healing to all.

Andy

Edit to post:  I wanted to follow up with the one caveat to my "no change" comment.  When I went for functional medicine analysis late last year and early this year, they found evidence of an exposure to Lyme disease.  I have been actively considering following up to rule that out or treat it with herbal (not antibiotic) means.  Many of the symptoms of Lyme overlap with withdrawal and I'd hate to miss that as a cause if it is part of the problem. It is my belief that, along with the havoc wreaked by psych meds now and over the next decade, Lyme will be the greatest health problem seen in the Western world as we are seeing 300K new cases diagnosed a year and it is clear that is a fraction of the total number of cases that are being contracted annually (perhaps as small as 10-20%).

Edited by apace41

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, apace41 said:

In short, I am in a holding pattern at what I would describe as a fairly but not overwhelmingly uncomfortable place.  To put that into more understandable terms, this is a place where I can manage my symptoms with the expectation I will get better, but not a place where I would be content to live the rest of my life.

This really resonated with me, Andy.  It's the "treading water" aspect.

I'll add an analogy that was shared with me on a benzo forum (forgive me, I think I may have already shared this with you, but it just "fits" so well here) -  withdrawal is like you're wearing ankle and wrist waits to build up your strength. But over time, these weights get heavier and heavier, even at the soul level. You can't ever take them off and you're aware of them all the time. And when you're treading water, it can be quite oppressive.

But as we heal, those weights are building up strength. And one day, we get to shed those weights and finally be set free of all of this pain.

And we will be as strong as warriors, mentally and physically, from building up strength from the weights that we no longer have to carry.

12 minutes ago, apace41 said:

At this point I have not changed anything for quite some time and don't really see any point to doing so.  I have tried a lot of things over time and they have all either made me worse or had no measurable improvement over time.  The longer I go through this process the more I come to see that time is really the one thing that allows for improvement. While some may see benefit from changes here and there, once the body normalizes to the change and returns to homeostasis, the tendency is to regress to the mean and wind up back where you were before unless the pendulum "overshoots" or you react adversely in which case you wind up worse off until you restabilize.  

I see so much growth here, Andy. I remember when you wanted to add this or that supplement, and to come to this place of "acceptance" is really beautiful to read and will serve you well past withdrawal. 

So please add "acceptance" to the concept of time being the healer because this acceptance - to continue with the analogy of the weights - can take some of the burden off of you. 

The SSRI / benzo combo is an extremely difficult form of polypharmacy to untangle yourself from, but to be able to do it while working full time and taking care of your family and extended family is really amazing. 

Thanks for sharing your list of coping mechanisms. I'll have to look into happyfeed.com. :)

Hi Andy

Thanks for the update.

You may not think you are doing well but you really are. 

You are going about life the best you can, coping with stressors and still managing to taper. I like the 'lets see what crappy symptoms are bothering me today' as that is exactly where I am at. 

Yes, good idea to look further into the Lymes disease exposure. At least you will know if it is 'just' withdrawal or if you need to treat Lyme.

All my best to you for this coming month and thank you for your continued support and kindness.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi Andy(apace41):

I just wanted to stop by and say hi.

I think, just like Flowers, if you think about everything you are doing in your life and tapering, you are doing wonderful.

I've had a slight bit of nausea, but I'm sure it's stress related. No running water or sewer for almost a week. But we are back up and running. Then my birthday was the 3rd, the day they replaced our pipe, and the plumber ran out of pipe. I just walked away with tears, but he found some. It's not easy where I live. No Home Depot. Have to find someone that's got some laying around. Had my uncle here for a week and people over last night for a bbq. Glad it's over!

But just think of everything you do once again, and the few side effects you have. You are doing amazing, in my opinion. And helping me, you are just a peach. :)

I wish you nothing but good vibes, and healing.  

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Shep,

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts.

4 hours ago, Shep said:

I'll add an analogy that was shared with me on a benzo forum (forgive me, I think I may have already shared this with you, but it just "fits" so well here) -  withdrawal is like you're wearing ankle and wrist waits to build up your strength. But over time, these weights get heavier and heavier, even at the soul level. You can't ever take them off and you're aware of them all the time. And when you're treading water, it can be quite oppressive.

But as we heal, those weights are building up strength. And one day, we get to shed those weights and finally be set free of all of this pain.

And we will be as strong as warriors, mentally and physically, from building up strength from the weights that we no longer have to carry.

I don't recall if you shared that with me but it is awesome.  Thank you!

4 hours ago, Shep said:

I see so much growth here, Andy. I remember when you wanted to add this or that supplement, and to come to this place of "acceptance" is really beautiful to read and will serve you well past withdrawal. 

So please add "acceptance" to the concept of time being the healer because this acceptance - to continue with the analogy of the weights - can take some of the burden off of you. 

It's so good to hear perspective from others because from the inside it feels so much like a gerbil on an exercise wheel.  Thank you again.

4 hours ago, Shep said:

The SSRI / benzo combo is an extremely difficult form of polypharmacy to untangle yourself from, but to be able to do it while working full time and taking care of your family and extended family is really amazing. 

I do believe that the second drug makes a huge difference in the overall process.  One ain't easy -- don't get me wrong -- but the second really throws a monkey wrench into the process.  That's why I'm astounded at you and Rhi and others who manage with 3, 4, 5, etc.

4 hours ago, Shep said:

I'll have to look into happyfeed.com.

Good app for the phone.  Prompts you daily to jot down 3 things you enjoyed about your day and congratulates you for doing it.  Gratitude journal for the lazy (like me).

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Flowers said:

You may not think you are doing well but you really are. 

You are going about life the best you can, coping with stressors and still managing to taper. I like the 'lets see what crappy symptoms are bothering me today' as that is exactly where I am at. 

Thanks so much, Flowers.  I know you've been up and down a lot but try to remember that when you were on holiday, and your CNS was at rest, you did pretty well.

That's a huge positive.

Thanks for the visit.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Frogie said:

I just wanted to stop by and say hi.

I think, just like Flowers, if you think about everything you are doing in your life and tapering, you are doing wonderful.

Thanks for checking in, Frogie.

3 hours ago, Frogie said:

I've had a slight bit of nausea, but I'm sure it's stress related. No running water or sewer for almost a week. But we are back up and running. Then my birthday was the 3rd, the day they replaced our pipe, and the plumber ran out of pipe. I just walked away with tears, but he found some. It's not easy where I live. No Home Depot. Have to find someone that's got some laying around. Had my uncle here for a week and people over last night for a bbq. Glad it's over!

You've had a lot going on and have, by and large, been doing quite well.

You should be thrilled as I know you are.

Best,

Andy

4 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks for checking in, Frogie.

You've had a lot going on and have, by and large, been doing quite well.

You should be thrilled as I know you are.

Best,

Andy

I'm doing my best, life goes on.

You have a great day! I'm hoping your healing goes well. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy . . .  I read some of your posts and I'm following you now. I'm looking forward to going back to the beginning to read your full history. It seems we wrestle with similar challenges and your courage inspires me! Thank you :)

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, elbee said:

Andy . . .  I read some of your posts and I'm following you now. I'm looking forward to going back to the beginning to read your full history. It seems we wrestle with similar challenges and your courage inspires me! Thank you :)

Thanks, Elbee.  I've been following you since you joined. We do have a lot of shared experience.

i wish I were in a place to provide more positivity, but the past 6 months have totally sucked.  I continue my slow reduction and am down to 14.4 mg, but have a long way to go and am moderately (at times it feels worse) symptomatic. I define that as a place I can deal with on the way to getting better but not a place I'd be OK winding up at.

Here's to mutual healing.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy,

You have been kind and funny with me on days that you could not possibly feel like it.  I am truly sorry that you are stuck in a wave with little letup.  You do so much for everyone else that It never occurred to me that you were in such a difficult place.

Thank you for being here to lift us up no matter how you are feeling at the moment.  It is much appreciated, and it puts me in awe.  You are truly a good person.  You work full time, work out, are supervising the building of an apartment on your property, and still have the strength to get online here and bring light to so many as you struggle.  You are an inspiration!

Thank you for being you.  I hope that your window will open very soon!

Skeeter

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Andy,

You have been kind and funny with me on days that you could not possibly feel like it.  I am truly sorry that you are stuck in a wave with little letup.  You do so much for everyone else that It never occurred to me that you were in such a difficult place.

Thank you for being here to lift us up no matter how you are feeling at the moment.  It is much appreciated, and it puts me in awe.  You are truly a good person.  You work full time, work out, are supervising the building of an apartment on your property, and still have the strength to get online here and bring light to so many as you struggle.  You are an inspiration!

Thank you for being you.  I hope that your window will open very soon!

Skeeter

Thank YOU Skeeter for one of the nicest messages I have ever received!

It IS a struggle a lot of the time of late, and there are times when it's really, really hard, but doing what little I can do to "pay it forward" on this site is one of the (unfortunately few) things that gives me a good feeling these days.

Thank you very much for the recognition.

Hope you are doing well.

Andy

Hi Andy:

Just stopped by to see how you are doing? I haven't read your thread.

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Just stopped by to see how you are doing? I haven't read your thread.

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Thanks for visiting, Frogie.  I'd love to say I'm a lot better -- but that would be a lie.  I'm in a holding pattern hoping for clearance to take off.

Hope you are doing okay.  Enjoy the A/C, the dog and the TV.  It will cool off soon.

Best,

Andy

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope it passes quickly. :)

im going through a little nausea, but very wheapy right now. I'm sure it's all nerves, everything that's been going on.

I hope it cools off soon. It's 9:35am and 83.3 degrees. Yuck!

Does it get hot where you are?

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Frogie.

Yes, in DC it gets very hot and very humid.  It can be quite unpleasant at times.

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41

1 hour ago, apace41 said:

Thanks, Frogie.

Yes, in DC it gets very hot and very humid.  It can be quite unpleasant at times.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I hope you stay cool too. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

So ~ you're still tapering, working full time, overseeing construction while having another family member live with you.... and you're doing GREAT!  Keep telling yourself that.  You can do this & are doing it.  You look beyond yourself to help others...even when you're not feeling that great yourself. 

As always, my very best to you.  I don't check in here much but I make sure to check in on you.... because your kindness comes through on your posts. That, my friend, is priceless. 

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

On 5.7.2017 at 3:13 PM, apace41 said:

Well, it's July 5th so time for the monthly update.  Unfortunately, it's still not very pretty.  No real improvement to speak of.  

I have reduced my dose down to 14.8 mg.  I am currently on a program of reduction by anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5% on a weekly basis with optional 1 week holds after several weeks of reduction or if I notice a real drop-off in how I'm feeling.  I don't notice huge dose-response changes and am still quite frustrated that no pattern has really emerged that would allow me to predict how I will react.  It still feels very much like a daily game of "let's see which crappy symptoms are bothering me today" with little rhyme or reason.  Kind of like "spinning the roulette wheel of withdrawal."  

The most challenging symptoms at this point remain:

• detachment from the world, i.e., dp/dr that leaves me in the classic "acting in the movie of my life" that characterizes the condition for many
  • a sense of imbalance/dizziness that is mostly constant but from which I have had a few extended (several days) periods of release
  • health anxiety that is in direct response to body aches/pains/sensations that are too numerous to list and which change daily/hourly (from mouth/jaw/tooth pain to hip pain and shooting pains in the arms/chest, etc.)
  • anxiety and depression that are more generalized but which I can normally "wait out" because I cycle out of them reasonably quickly

The rest of the list is too long to bother with and are mostly transient in any event.

I am under a fair amount of stress between working my full-time job and the fact that my brother-in-law is living with us due to his separation from his wife.  We are in the process of building out a small building we have on our property into an apartment for him so he can get back on his feet.  So, in addition to work and family obligations, I am serving as a construction manager as we go through the process of building it out.  If I were not in withdrawal, I think this would be a fun project and the fact that I am struggling mightily with it is an indication to me that I have a LOT of healing to do.

I do, however, continue to be full of doubt about my recovery along with doubt that "this is all really withdrawal."  This too is very consistent with what I've read in many success stories, where people did not think there was a chance they would improve until they did.  Thus, I try to "shake off" the negativity with the use of the various coping mechanisms that I can fit into my day.  These include:

• meditation
  • gratitude (see happyfeed.com)
  • journaling
  • exercise 
  • daily walking
  • heartmath (HRV training)
  • maintaining a good diet (although I confess to more sweets of late that I need to cut out)
  • continued learning (for the brain and self-improvement)

I try to get involved in the threads of other members where possible because I believe that to the extent we can "pay it forward" and help others in need, we see growth and improvement in ourselves.  I appreciate those of you who follow my thread and provide comfort, reassurance and words of wisdom.

My best and healing to all.

Andy

Edit to post:  I wanted to follow up with the one caveat to my "no change" comment.  When I went for functional medicine analysis late last year and early this year, they found evidence of an exposure to Lyme disease.  I have been actively considering following up to rule that out or treat it with herbal (not antibiotic) means.  Many of the symptoms of Lyme overlap with withdrawal and I'd hate to miss that as a cause if it is part of the problem. It is my belief that, along with the havoc wreaked by psych meds now and over the next decade, Lyme will be the greatest health problem seen in the Western world as we are seeing 300K new cases diagnosed a year and it is clear that is a fraction of the total number of cases that are being contracted annually (perhaps as small as 10-20%).

Andy, you will start to feel better once off the drug. This what you are feeling are side effects of the drug you are taking.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Martina23 said:

Andy, you will start to feel better once off the drug. This what you are feeling are side effects of the drug you are taking.

Thanks, Martina.

i hope, like BrassMonkey, I will see improvement on the way down.  With a slow taper it will be a long time before I'm off altogether. 

Thanks for visiting.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

Just wanted to stop by to say hi.

How are you feeling? I hope better. :)

I've had some nausea here and there, but I attribute it to dentist visits and nerves. Novocain makes me nauseous before I even started all these meds.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Frogie said:

Just wanted to stop by to say hi.

How are you feeling? I hope better. :)

Thanks for the visit, Frogie.  I've been struggling for the most part but I'm keeping myself busy to try not to dwell.

8 hours ago, Frogie said:

I've had some nausea here and there, but I attribute it to dentist visits and nerves. Novocain makes me nauseous before I even started all these meds.

That makes sense.  Glad you avoided our tendency to blame EVERYTHING on withdrawal.  You know -- "stubbed my toe -- must be withdrawal."  If you had it before withdrawal, seems like that's the likely cause.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Andy

1 hour ago, apace41 said:

Thanks for the visit, Frogie.  I've been struggling for the most part but I'm keeping myself busy to try not to dwell.

That makes sense.  Glad you avoided our tendency to blame EVERYTHING on withdrawal.  You know -- "stubbed my toe -- must be withdrawal."  If you had it before withdrawal, seems like that's the likely cause.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Andy

I'm slowly learning what's WD and what's not lol...

Have a great weekend. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

Just wondered how you are feeling?

Hope better. :)

I wrote on my thread if you get time to read it. No emergency.

Have a great weekend!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Frogie.

I responded to you on your thread.  I wouldn't worry at this point.

I don't have the time or energy to respond right now.  My father-in-law passed away suddenly last Sunday morning and we have been caught between shock, funeral arrangements, family, etc.  It has been a massive struggle and he was a wonderful person who will be greatly missed.  I have taken a serious blow to my CNS from this and imagine it will take a bit of time for me to recover fully.  I am going to hold for a while in the hopes of coming back to baseline.

Best,

Andy

5 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thanks, Frogie.

I responded to you on your thread.  I wouldn't worry at this point.

I don't have the time or energy to respond right now.  My father-in-law passed away suddenly last Sunday morning and we have been caught between shock, funeral arrangements, family, etc.  It has been a massive struggle and he was a wonderful person who will be greatly missed.  I have taken a serious blow to my CNS from this and imagine it will take a bit of time for me to recover fully.  I am going to hold for a while in the hopes of coming back to baseline.

Best,

Andy

Andy:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. 

You, your wife and family will be in my prayers.

Take care of yourself.

Take care,

Frogie xx

so sorry for your loss,Andy....my condolences to you.

take care of yourself,ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sending healing vibes to you and your family, Andy. Please take extra care of yourself. 

Andy-- I'm so sorry to read about your loss. Whether it was expected or not, it's still a major shock.  My father lingered for several years, but when the call came it still was extremely upsetting.  This is one of the times when societal dictates are much more important than personal ones. Dig deep, WD and CNS be d****d and concentrate on what needs to be done.  You'll surprise yourself with the inner strength that can be called up.  You may pay for it later, but not as much as you expect.  I found it best to compartmentalize my grief and let it out a bit at a time as I could handle it.  It's not being cold, it's being practical, and being there for others can be solis in it's own right.  In a few week, when life starts to return to normal,you can think back and say "dang, that was rough, but look what I did." and feel great for your effort. Then you can deal with the WD/CNS fallout.  Being selfless when you think you have no self to give is an excellent way to honor his memory.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MAN HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Tom

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, DS, Shep and BrassMonkey,

Thank you all for your kind words of support.

I am working through it -- day by day.  Not easy but necessary.

Best,

Andy

Andy, I am so sorry for your loss. 

Sending warm thoughts. 

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.