apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Mentor
On 12/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, apace41 said:

Positivity -- I have realized that my negative attitude is contributing in some way to my situation.  While I know I need to be self-compassionate, Happy2Heal reinforced in a PM yesterday how much changing her thoughts has helped her and I know that I need to do that too.  Unfortunately, it's something I SUCK at so it will take some time and effort.

actually I find you to be quite positive, even in the face of a lot of difficulties. It's not easy to keep looking for the good when so much feels bad, and I think there are times when it's appropriate, and maybe even healthy, to wallow in some self pity and give yourself permission to be super super good to yourself.

looking for good things is something that EVERYONE needs to work at, because, according to the books I've read on the topic, at least LOL we are designed to pay more attention to the negative, to the threats, it helped up survive back at the beginning of time. So bad stuff sticks better in our minds, as a kind of protection  and good stuff slips away too easily. 

We just need to keep re directing our attention back to the things that are good and that make us feel good. It's very much a learning thing for everyone. 

I find, Once I start on the path of looking for good things, it becomes like a treasure hunt.:) 

even if the negatives in your day to day life seem to outweigh  the positives, that treasure hunt can be a good distraction, at the very least.

:/

On 12/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, brassmonkey said:

What's the old adage, "no good deed goes unpunished".  It happens so often you can't think it's coincidence, but there are so many variables it probably is.  For a while there I was at a point I wouldn't even tell my wife I was feeling better because I'd get slammed the next day. Sorry it had to happen after such a supportive response, hope things settle out soon.

oh I have noticed this same thing!I post that things are going well and bam, I have a bad day or a run on not great but not horrible ones, and I wish I'd just kept my mouth shut. 

when things are rough, Andy,  I find it sometimes helps to remind myself that it means that more healing is going on, and that when the rough patch ends, you are likely going to be a higher level of healing and recovery

that seems to be the case for me, at least. and I think others have noticed this same thing.

hang in there, and just take it one day or one moment at a time ok

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 12/16/2017 at 6:52 PM, Happy2Heal said:

when things are rough, Andy,  I find it sometimes helps to remind myself that it means that more healing is going on, and that when the rough patch ends, you are likely going to be a higher level of healing and recovery

that seems to be the case for me, at least. and I think others have noticed this same thing.

hang in there, and just take it one day or one moment at a time ok

Thanks for the positive note, H2H.  I appreciate it very much.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

On December 18, 2017 at 7:14 AM, apace41 said:

Thanks for the positive note, H2H.  I appreciate it very much.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

Just wanted to say hi.

I posted on my thread but I've been busy.

I hope you have a very Happy Holiday.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, I'm back from my vacation in Florida.  There was some good and some bad as can be expected.  Overall, I would have to say that I was less well than I was a year ago and I had more anxiety and internal unrest during the trip.  I had a couple of relatively sleepless nights which I did not have a year ago.  I did, however, feel a little bit more connected to people and was able to converse and enjoy meals with family for the most part.  My physical limitations always set the stage for me there because in the past (several years ago) it was like summer camp for me where I would play tennis all day and go running and play ball on the beach, etc.  With the limitations on my hips and overall body pain my exercise was largely limited to swimming laps which I did most every day.  Other good news came in the form of significant diminishing of the burning mouth symptom which suggests that stress of home/work, etc. plays a major role in it for me.  The biggest challenge overall, however, was a recurrence of dizziness that was affecting me much of the time.  When I say dizziness I mean the sense of being "off balance" and unsteady that is frequently referenced by many.  This was, however, important in that it led me to do some additional research and searching and I now have a better overall "working theory" regarding withdrawal and the symptoms that come from it.

I found myself looking at dizziness as a symptom and that led me to www.anxietycentre.com.  For those of you who have never been there it is an excellent site that addresses stress and anxiety and the overall hyperstimulation of the nervous system.  The site is far more analytical than any "anxiety site" I have ever visited and it looks deeply at the physiology of anxiety and the symptoms that arise from it.  I bought a membership because I thought the free stuff was so good and when you get into the member site there is a list of symptoms of anxiety that is pretty much a direct corollary of the Glenmullen list of withdrawal symptoms.  The site's founder, Jim Folk, dealt with anxiety for many years until he figured out some of this stuff and he has been helping people for 15  years or so and therefore has a great database of anecdotal evidence of what stress and anxiety can do to you physically.  I think I always "knew" that but I never really looked into it, appreciated it, and internalized it so that it made sense to me. 

As a result of my time on this site and my understanding of withdrawal in general, I have come to the viewpoint that what happens for many of us in withdrawal (and, I believe, in my case) is that withdrawal acts as a stressor on the CNS.  Over time, the repeated assaults on the CNS create an ever increasingly stimulated CNS which gets to the point where you no longer even feel "stressed" on a regular basis -- you simply are.  In that state, the body has myriad symptoms that are essentially stress reactions ranging from pins and needles, to dizziness, to depersonalization, etc. The website does a great job of going through symptom by symptom and explaining how things like palpitations arise.  The only way to get the symptoms to go away is to reduce the overall stress load.  In this vein, the site applies many of the same tools that we advocate here such as meditation, deep breathing, deep relaxation, etc.  Over time, when the bodies stress load is reduced symptoms go away and the CNS is no longer on the "hair trigger."  But, there's the rub.  In withdrawal, we are continually stressing the system whether by taper or cold turkey, the system takes a very long time to heal.  So, in addition to the general life stresses that create more strain on the CNS we have the impact that the chemicals have created on the brain.  Hence, the long, long (did I say long?) time it takes to heal the CNS.

What I found truly compelling in the member's area of the site, however, is a series of Skype interviews that Folk has with members who raise various concerns with him and which he addresses.  When I tell you that it could EASILY be a series of calls from SA members discussing these issues with him (the symptom complaints are so similar to what is posted here every day) I am understating the overlap.  The lines between what we feel from withdrawal and what an anxiety sufferer (without regard to medication) feels are virtually indistinguishable.  

This site has helped me better understand one of the cardinal rules of SA which is the need for acceptance.  I have struggled for a very long time with the notion that "there must be something else wrong with me."  If you listen to virtually ALL of the calls on anxietycentre you will hear everyone saying that very thing -- "it can't just be anxiety -- there must be something medically wrong with me."  It struck me that if anxiety alone -- without medication withdrawal -- can cause these symptoms without some medical issue, then it stands to reason that adding withdrawal into the mix makes it even more justifiable.  In some small way this has helped me come to terms with accepting that I don't have some horrific disease and that what is wrong with me is the result solely of the drugs I took and am now trying to discontinue.  Hopefully, over time I will be able to calm my CNS a little more with this knowledge and I won't have the flash of second fear that comes about when the crazy symptoms arise.

Anyway, this has been, as Shep would say, something of a word salad so I hope there is some meaning and value that can be gleaned from my ramblings.

Happy new year to all and I will post more when I can be a little more cogent.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy ~ I found that site a few months ago. I joined as well because the information is quite amazing. I don’t post there but I read everyday. 

Yes, acceptance is key & it takes our bodies so long to heal. But I know they will!  

Will post more later. Just had to say that great minds think alike 😊

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Andy.

I really enjoyed reading your update and although you are struggling a lot with the physical symptoms and dizziness, you are psychologically in a really amazing and beautiful place.

2 hours ago, apace41 said:

This site has helped me better understand one of the cardinal rules of SA which is the need for acceptance.  I have struggled for a very long time with the notion that "there must be something else wrong with me."  If you listen to virtually ALL of the calls on anxietycentre you will hear everyone saying that very thing -- "it can't just be anxiety -- there must be something medically wrong with me."  It struck me that if anxiety alone -- without medication withdrawal -- can cause these symptoms without some medical issue, then it stands to reason that adding withdrawal into the mix makes it even more justifiable.  In some small way this has helped me come to terms with accepting that I don't have some horrific disease and that what is wrong with me is the result solely of the drugs I took and am now trying to discontinue.  Hopefully, over time I will be able to calm my CNS a little more with this knowledge and I won't have the flash of second fear that comes about when the crazy symptoms arise.

Since one of your main "signature symptoms" is health anxiety, it's really wonderful to see you get to this place of total acceptance. Just reading it, I can sense a giant weight being lifted off your shoulders. It's like everything you've been through so far has finally "clicked". It's quite possible that this acceptance will help nourish and strengthen your nervous system and set the stage for some advanced healing over the coming months and years. 

Sending healing vibes your way. I hope 2018 is going to be a great year for you as you taper off the rest of your AD and move on into the recovery phase. 

• Mentor

Andy,

What an outstanding post. Thank you for the information. I want to learn as much about my situation as possible. You post gave me a lot of the reasoning behind what is going on. 

I'm sorry that you trip wasn't as good as last year.  That stinks. As we all know anxiety is a killer. I'm sorry that you were having problems physically as well. You mention your hips, did you say in one of your post a while back that thought you might need a hip replacement but weren't sure? 

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy, thanks for posting your insights about anxiety.  As someone who hasn't experienced anxiety during withdrawal or really much at all, I'll be checking out the free material to educate myself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, bromor said:

Andy ~ I found that site a few months ago. I joined as well because the information is quite amazing. I don’t post there but I read everyday. 

Yes, acceptance is key & it takes our bodies so long to heal. But I know they will!  

Will post more later. Just had to say that great minds think alike 😊

LOL, B.  I'm not surprised.  We seem to travel in the same places.

I'd  be interested in your further thoughts.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Shep said:

Since one of your main "signature symptoms" is health anxiety, it's really wonderful to see you get to this place of total acceptance. Just reading it, I can sense a giant weight being lifted off your shoulders. It's like everything you've been through so far has finally "clicked". It's quite possible that this acceptance will help nourish and strengthen your nervous system and set the stage for some advanced healing over the coming months and years. 

Thanks as always for your support, Shep.  It's a "work-in-progress."  I think I now have a cogent story that fits together and "makes sense" to the extent anything in withdrawal makes sense.  I will try to pull it all together in a post later.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

What an outstanding post. Thank you for the information. I want to learn as much about my situation as possible. You post gave me a lot of the reasoning behind what is going on. 

Thanks for the kind words, RS.  I think I know you fairly well and I think you would gain a lot from spending a little time on that site (or googling youtube videos under anxietycentre).

17 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

I'm sorry that you trip wasn't as good as last year.  That stinks. As we all know anxiety is a killer. I'm sorry that you were having problems physically as well. You mention your hips, did you say in one of your post a while back that thought you might need a hip replacement but weren't sure? 

Yes.  I did say that.  My orthpod would LOVE to cut me open.  I'm waiting until I'm less symptomatic to see if that symptom is one that is being greatly exacerbated by withdrawal/stress.  In addition, as new therapies improve (PRP and stem cell especially), I'm hoping to avoid the replacement altogether.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, scallywag said:

Andy, thanks for posting your insights about anxiety.  As someone who hasn't experienced anxiety during withdrawal or really much at all, I'll be checking out the free material to educate myself.

Thanks for the visit, Scally.  It's interesting as I think my views on this GO BEYOND "pure" anxiety.  It is my belief that the stress that is placed on the system by withdrawal causes hyperstimulation of the CNS and the HPA axis and that many of the symptoms that are rampant in withdrawal are essentially "caused" by this stress to the CNS.  For some that may manifest along with "pure" anxiety but for some I think that it will manifest in the form of stress on the body without any of what we would classically call "anxiety".  That may be a function of many things, most notably learned behaviors and the tendencies that we had when we first started on the medications.

I'd love for someone as insightful as yourself to give this some thought and research, test what I am postulating and see where you come out.  Especially if you can look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't suffer "pure" anxiety.

Best,

Andy

Andy, you sound like a scientist :)

I and I am sure, many others on SA hope the postulations lead somewhere.....

Best,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

I have not a single doubt that dose changes are a stress on the body/CNS and are therefore likely to set off or worsen inherent sensitivities.  If one has a tendency of being anxious, anxiety will arise and/or worsen. Skin issues? Same. Digestive issues? Same. Ad infinitum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Andy - 

That is awesome you were able to get away and enjoy some time off.  Even though you think you are worst compared to last year I think it is admirable that you were able to go to Florida and participate in family vacation and be more connected during conversations than before. 

I am so glad you brought the subject of anxiety into your thread.  Anxiety is such a powerful monster, it can send so many uncomfortable bodily and mental sensations to anyone.  I am like you and struggle with health anxiety, but also general anxiety and now social.  For a while I went between my anxiety is due to WD to I have an anxiety disorder this cannot be WD.  I tried to pin and point my symptoms and figure out which symptom is caused by what WD, anxiety or side effect.  Ultimately, I gave up since my firm belief is that I want to be off medication and can function in this world w/out being medicated.  Your explanation makes perfect sense in that our nervous system is in even more stressed state due to history of medication use and withdrawing in general.  I do think it is important to also realize that anxiety should not be solely blamed on WD.  WD for sure can be the cause but anxiety by itself can exist in an individual and symptoms are quite similar.  

I do belief that in order to conquer this anxiety monster we have to do some work.  That is where acceptance comes in, meditation, CBT, and all that good stuff.  I started reading a book by Barry McDonagh "DARE" in hopes of using some of the techniques (not sure if you read this one yet).  I also just finished another booked called "10% Happier" by Dan Harris - it is a mix of self help and a personal journey about discovering meditation.  It is an easy yet powerful read.  It really resonated with me and I am leaning more into making meditation a daily habit.  He discusses Buddhism and the beliefs behind it.  I am not suggesting or advertising for anyone to become one, but some of their teachings can truly help in anxiety and WD related situations.  Acceptance would be the big one of course, and another one I thought was helpful was not attachment to the outcome.  I know me I am so hard on myself for not doing something or not trying hard enough (the list goes on) and dwell on it, so letting that go would be truly healing.  It does not mean we do not have to try a desired goal, but when something does not work out the way we want to it is okay to let that go.    

I think it is important to note that individuals in WD that experience anxiety symptoms should do some self work and not simply sit and wait on time.  Time does heal, but when WD stresses the body and sends it into chaos the anxiety that kicks in can cause even more debilitating symptoms.  I feel like I am preaching and maybe I should not be mentioning this on your thread, but I get upset at times when I read threads where the person is suffering for a while with profound WD/anxiety symptoms yet is only waiting on time to let these symptoms dissolve.  I feel like reaching out across and saying - are you eating healthy?  can you do some exercise?  What about meditation?  CBT?  Yoga?  Positive Affirmations?  It sounds like anxiety,  please don't blame everything on WD and try to help yourself.  

B. 

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
40 minutes ago, apace41 said:

LOL, B.  I'm not surprised.  We seem to travel in the same places.

I'd  be interested in your further thoughts.

Best,

Andy

I am going to join that site too :)

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
  • Mentor
On 1/7/2018 at 9:10 AM, apace41 said:

Thanks for the kind words, RS.  I think I know you fairly well and I think you would gain a lot from spending a little time on that site (or googling youtube videos under anxietycentre).

Thanks Andy.  I did google on youtube and watched some videos, I then went directly to the site. There appears to be some overlap with WD and stress & anxiety. They all seem to over-stimulate the nervous system. And the symptoms on the site were amazing, yes many of them seemed the same as WD. Thanks for sharing.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Hi Andy:

I wrote on my thread, if you get time to read it.

I hope you are doing better.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi Andy,

Not been here for a while but I'd just like to wish you the best of luck. You were very supportive of me at my worst and it meant a lot. I suppose I just want to say thanks and that if you persevere it really does get better.

Keep on Keeping on.

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for visiting, Sert, and glad you are doing so well.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/7/2018 at 4:49 AM, apace41 said:

As a result of my time on this site and my understanding of withdrawal in general, I have come to the viewpoint that what happens for many of us in withdrawal (and, I believe, in my case) is that withdrawal acts as a stressor on the CNS.  Over time, the repeated assaults on the CNS create an ever increasingly stimulated CNS which gets to the point where you no longer even feel "stressed" on a regular basis -- you simply are.  In that state, the body has myriad symptoms that are essentially stress reactions ranging from pins and needles, to dizziness, to depersonalization, etc. The website does a great job of going through symptom by symptom and explaining how things like palpitations arise.  The only way to get the symptoms to go away is to reduce the overall stress load.  In this vein, the site applies many of the same tools that we advocate here such as meditation, deep breathing, deep relaxation, etc.  Over time, when the bodies stress load is reduced symptoms go away and the CNS is no longer on the "hair trigger."  But, there's the rub.  In withdrawal, we are continually stressing the system whether by taper or cold turkey, the system takes a very long time to heal.  So, in addition to the general life stresses that create more strain on the CNS we have the impact that the chemicals have created on the brain.  Hence, the long, long (did I say long?) time it takes to heal the CNS.

Another great post and update Andy, I'm also sorry your vacation wasn't as good as last year, but being able to travel and enjoy some of it is an achievement, I'm not quite there yet.

I used to belong to anxietycentre.com, before discovering what was really wrong with me. It was my lifeline for a while, before discovering what was really wrong, that it wasn't 'just' anxiety and that's why I wasn't getting better in spite of doing what was recommended.

What you have written here makes sense, and I've come to a similar conclusion. We can reduce all our stress and use all the calming techniques and not scare ourselves with secondary cognitive anxiety about what is 'really' wrong, but there's nothing we can do about the reality of just how physically stressful this recovery process actually is. There's no map, no predictability, no control and the symptoms themselves can be stress inducing, no matter what we do or don't tell ourselves about them. I know for a fact then when I wake up every morning with surges of adreneline, my body in an automatic fight/flight response, which I have no control over, that in itself is stress, and I'm sure its a factor in how long its taking for my CNS to recover. None of this is anything like my original anxiety, although some of the physical sensations I experience now are similar to anxiety responses I used to get in certain situations, but they always had an identifiable cognitive cause.... I was worrying about something.

And of course with symptoms like dizziness and pain, even if you know they are 'just' withdrawal and not something more sinister, there is still the actual impact they have on our life and daily functioning, or lack of. Pain causes stress and can slow healing. All stress slows healing and all of our symptoms are stressful by their very nature and how they manifest. To me, this all seems like the mother of all catch 22 situations and perhaps an induced coma is what we need.

Like you, I'm feeling worse physically than what I did this time last year, but better in other ways. I keep telling myself that when my CNS has settled down and stays that way, I will be able to work on improving my physical health which has declined terribly over the last few years.

Best for 2018

P.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I guess since I'm up at 1AM and can't sleep due to anxiety with no apparent cause, Petu, I'm a living example of the truth of your fantastic post.  You are spot on in that there are things in withdrawal that we simply can't control and that creates continual issues for a hyperstimulated CNS.  So, for me, the real question is what amount of "collateral" healing can you do while you are in withdrawal.  If we assume that not all of the problem is withdrawal and that some percentage of what is going on is due to learned anxiety behaviors, it would be logical to assume we can make at least some progress along the way while we "wait" for the CNS to get on with the healing.  Hopefully, as you suggest (I think), we can make the environment more conducive for withdrawal CNS healing to take place.

I think Blondiee's post earlier in my thread is the way I think about it.  Doing nothing clearly doesn't do anything to accelerate healing.  Doing various relaxation and acceptance techniques may only help by 10% or 20% or who knows, but at least it's something.  Plus, it presumably puts us in a better place to recovery faster once the CNS starts to move in the right direction.

58 minutes ago, Petunia said:

I keep telling myself that when my CNS has settled down and stays that way, I will be able to work on improving my physical health which has declined terribly over the last few years.

I tell myself the same things, Petu.  Every day.

I honestly believe that if I could stop thinking about it so much it would improve a little.  It wouldn't heal me but I wouldn't be so obsessive about it and that would be helpful.  Trying to figure out ways to do that if I can.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

May we both see a lot of healing in 2018.  It's time.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a note in my thread to memorialize the bad sleep wave I've been in lately.  Not quite an "every other night" but getting close.  Lying in bed with waves of anxiety passing through me -- the kind Petu refers to in her earlier post where there is nothing to be anxious about other than the pure bodily sensations.  There is nothing (other than withdrawal) that I'm particularly concerned about on a conscious level that would be causing this anxiety.  

I am very, very tired of this whole process.  Having a hard time seeing the light at the end of this incredibly long tunnel.

Very down at 3:30 AM.

Hope all are well. 

Andy

21 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Just a note in my thread to memorialize the bad sleep wave I've been in lately.  Not quite an "every other night" but getting close.  Lying in bed with waves of anxiety passing through me -- the kind Petu refers to in her earlier post where there is nothing to be anxious about other than the pure bodily sensations.  There is nothing (other than withdrawal) that I'm particularly concerned about on a conscious level that would be causing this anxiety.  

I am very, very tired of this whole process.  Having a hard time seeing the light at the end of this incredibly long tunnel.

Very down at 3:30 AM.

Hope all are well. 

Andy

Thinking of you Andy, and  know how you feel.

Its the "bodily sensations" that get me each time too.

Sending hugs from across the pond.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, JC.  This is really a rough one.  An ugly wave.  Ugh.

I need a hug.

Best,

Andy

Just now, apace41 said:

Thanks, JC.  This is really a rough one.  An ugly wave.  Ugh.

I need a hug.

Best,

Andy

BTW, are you a scientist?  

I just recognise that analytical and logical thought process from from the way you write......

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus

No.  A lawyer of all things. 

Best,

Andy

1 minute ago, apace41 said:

No.  A lawyer of all things. 

Best,

Andy

Not a bad guess, I wasn't too far off then, lol!!!  Really admire you for holding down a high pressure profession despite WD.

I'm waiting at the station for the cheap day fare into London......hate going to the big city,  WAY TOO stressful.  

Still, needs must.

Hang in there Andy.

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

Hi apace41 

just to to say I sympathise. My sleep pattern had improved until about 6.30 but the last couple of nights I have been sharing those nasty anxiety ridden early hours with the accompanying nasty symptoms. I think when you get a relatively good nights sleep you can cope better with the anxiety during the day. Unfortunately when sleep deprived along with the dreaded symptoms it makes the days so much harder. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

Roughly, what % of time do people spend thinking about their withdrawal?. I spend at least 90+% and that can’t be healthy. It has become an obsession I think.In fact the smarter you are the worse it is because you are used to solving puzzles and intellectual problems. This problem is very difficult and can suck you in.  We are all looking for the grand theory to explain what is happening and what to do. Sounds like some of the futile attempts in philosophy to create an understanding of everything. Best ignore it and get on with the basics in life like walking in nature and making lunch.

I also suffer from adrenaline surges surges and dread in the morning and during the night.  Probably when the cortisol hits a sensitised CNS it triggers feelings of dread.

I took citalopram from 1 jan 2011 to the end of 2016nat a dose of 40mg. As citalopram was not working I was advised to take another ssri so I went on Effexor in jan 2017 and stopped citalopram. I was on Effexor, 47.5mg for about 3 months but found it too activating. I stopped effexor in March 2017 and went on 20mg prozac on 1 April 2017. I was on prozac until 6 May 2017 when I stopped because I started having intolerable reactions to it. So I went cold turkey and have been off all Ssris from 6 May 2017 so that is 8 months at this point.

I realise my CNS is totally sensitised and is the reason why I have multiple symptoms. I at least understand that and I am trying to accept the symptoms for what they are and trying not to dwell on them too much. But it is very hard and a brutal experience. 

Andy

im an M&A partner in a big 4 firm of accountants! Somehow I keep protracted withdrawal under wraps during the day. It’s not easy but many of us run this kind of parallel existence. I thought your intro to this thread was great. Following from my earlier comment, Claire Weekes talks about the absolute brain *** of constantly thinking about this condition- it leads to huge levels of introspection and lack of engagement with external events, which can result in DP. Not surprising really.

I took citalopram from 1 jan 2011 to the end of 2016nat a dose of 40mg. As citalopram was not working I was advised to take another ssri so I went on Effexor in jan 2017 and stopped citalopram. I was on Effexor, 47.5mg for about 3 months but found it too activating. I stopped effexor in March 2017 and went on 20mg prozac on 1 April 2017. I was on prozac until 6 May 2017 when I stopped because I started having intolerable reactions to it. So I went cold turkey and have been off all Ssris from 6 May 2017 so that is 8 months at this point.

I realise my CNS is totally sensitised and is the reason why I have multiple symptoms. I at least understand that and I am trying to accept the symptoms for what they are and trying not to dwell on them too much. But it is very hard and a brutal experience. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Bobo71 said:

Roughly, what % of time do people spend thinking about their withdrawal?.

Hi, Bobo and welcome to SA. I know for me the answer is “way too much”

1 hour ago, Bobo71 said:

. It has become an obsession I think.In fact the smarter you are the worse it is because you are used to solving puzzles and intellectual problems.

Agree completely. My “analysis” a few posts earlier is an effort to put a bow on it and then move forward knowing there’s only so much one can do.  For me, however, having a coherent theory about what has happened and is happening is important.

1 hour ago, Bobo71 said:

Best ignore it and get on with the basics in life like walking in nature and making lunch.

LOL.  So much easier said than done. As I’m sure you know.

25 minutes ago, Bobo71 said:

im an M&A partner in a big 4 firm of accountants! Somehow I keep protracted withdrawal under wraps during the day. It’s not easy but many of us run this kind of parallel existence.

Yes, this is a syndrome that does not discriminate.  Sucks for all of us.

Look forward to your continued contribution. 

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41

2 hours ago, Bobo71 said:

Following from my earlier comment, Claire Weekes talks about the absolute brain *** of constantly thinking about this condition- it leads to huge levels of introspection and lack of engagement with external events, which can result in DP. Not surprising really.

Sorry, what's "DP"?

Since JUN 2016: Sertraline. Took for 1 year, reduced & removed from 100 mg in 2 months. OFF Sertraline since 11 AUG 2017

-OCT and NOV 2017: Hipericum-St.Johns Worth

-25 DEC 2017: took sertraline 1 pill 50 mg

-Since end DEC 2017: Diazepam 5 mg. Reduced gradually. OFF Diazepam since 30 MAR 2018. 

-Since end DEC 2017: magnesium, omega3. 

• Mentor

"I honestly believe that if I could stop thinking about it so much it would improve a little.  It wouldn't heal me but I wouldn't be so obsessive about it and that would be helpful.  Trying to figure out ways to do that if I can"

Oh, if you figure out ways to do this, please do share! I have tried all sorts of distractions, but I realize that they are purposeful distractions and I immediately connect it to WD/Recovery, so it's on my mind even now, way more that I'd like it to be.

I find the harder I try to NOT think about it, the more it's "in my face". 
Maybe, just maybe, acceptance is also just allowing this to be the main focus of our lives, for however long it's going to take....?
I don't know, I wish I had the answers.

and yes, it's an incredibly long journey but it does get better. That's all that I am 100% sure of at this point, at least in my case. I can't speak for anyone else, I know. But for me, it's gotten massively better. It annoys me, the stuff that is lingering, but I have to acknowledge how far I've come.

I believe you'll get there too, Andy. One slow day at a time :/

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hi Andy - 

Check out Rod Stryker on either YouTube or yogaglow (you can sign up for 10 day free access) .   He helped me tremendously yesterday to shut that monkey mind and after I felt peace and less of that chatter in my head,  it was truly a shift in me after I got home from work and experienced a horrible anxiety attack.  Can you do some like yoga (I know you have issues with hips but maybe some gentle poses?) .  Basically the whole class you concentrate on your breath while doing the same yoga pose and you count your inhale then hold and count your exhales and hold again.   The mind solely concentrates on counting since it can change (inhale 4, hold 1, exhale 4, hold 1; then 5/2/5/2 and so on ) and in time you realize wow I have been so concentrated on breathing that I have not thought about any of the anxiety / symptom stuff.   Thought maybe this could be helpful 

I am sorry you had an aweful night but I do believe it will get better .  It has too 

DP is depersonalisation.

i also find it difficult to distract as when a symptom flares up - it brings me right back to the drawing board. I keep hearing the importance of acceptance and I think it must be true to stop the resistance. It’s all very difficult to put into practice thoughI. feel I could write a self help book about this condition but the trouble is I can’t do any of it myself. I’d hate to think that it was only the passage of time that cures this and there’s nothing else to do  but wait because life is so miserable and complex to manage at the moment. Every basic thing in life I took for granted (sleeping, eating, talking to others, even breathing) can be challenging.  Just juggling all these symptoms is a full time job.