apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

After several pretty good days, I am having a very high cortisol morning.  It's interesting because I just finished a very stressful, highly visible piece of work at my company and now that it is over I'm having kind of a crash.  Rather than that leading to fatigue and wipe-out, however, it's leading to me being on edge and agitated.

Strange to me but probably not.

Who knows with this crap?  :angry:

Decided today was NOT a good day for coffee of any kind.

Hope all are doing well or hanging in there.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

Sorry to hear about the downturn; I had bedtime anxiety last night and got very little sleep, so it must be going around. The unpredictability is very frustrating!! I hope you feel better soon and this passes quickly.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Pug.  I'm doing fairly well -- just that couple of hours this morning where I was running a little "hot."

Sorry to hear you are in a wave.  I hope/expect to hear it was a short one.

Best,

Andy

P.S.  For those of you who have not seen it -- I'm attaching a link to "Bought" the documentary detailing how the FDA has been bought by big pharma.  Very well done and free online for a while.

http://www.boughtmovie.com/partners/lifeenthusiast?inf_contact_key=24dad6c27efa255ae30496c2f70a930cb33b6bc9d477b998d7517f4788615cf6

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

OK, I give up trying to understand what does and doesn't make me feel better.

Yesterday I posted that I was feeling higher cortisol in the morning and rather anxious and uptight.  That got better over the day.  Last evening, I followed through on a commitment to celebrate the conclusion of a work matter that had been very stressful for several of us but ending favorably.  That celebration included some drinks and cigars (which I haven't done in about 5-7 years and which I don't intend to do again any time soon).  I, of course, expected that I would suffer greatly today as a result. 

Instead, I woke up feeling pretty good despite only 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  WTF?  I'm not complaining in the sense that I'm glad to be feeling decent in spite of some modest carousing, but I do find it confusing as all get out!

Perhaps instead of fish oil and magnesium I should put myself on the beer and cigar program?

I'm guessing that Alto does not endorse that approach.  LOL.

I'm sure I've just cursed myself and will feel like crap later, but, for now, I'll take it.

Cheers to all,

:ph34r:

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Ha ha , too funny.  Sometimes the curved balls are in your favor.

:P

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

How is the day going for you Andy?

• Moderator Emeritus

How is the day going for you Andy?

I'm hanging in there, Pug. Long day for some reason, but I'm doing decently overall. Sorry your window closed but sounds like it's getting a touch better.

Thanks for checking in.

Andy

Andy,

How are things for you?

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy,

How are things for you?

Pug,

You are a good friend asking me that out of the blue.  I've had a mixed bag of late.  Been having a little more DP/DR which is a sign of underlying anxiety and is an annoying symptom.  My sleep has been decent but not great.  I've been doing a lot as my youngest daughter is heading off to college in a week, so I'm feeling a lot of stress about that (for her and for me -- not sure about the whole "empty-nest" issue).  I have, however, been very productive at work and, while it's harder than it needs to be, I've been able to manage.

My hips have been an ongoing problem and I've probably been pushing it too far so that I work out and then suffer the consequences.  I can't stand being inactive -- creates a down mood.  Exercise really takes me out of the bad place when I'm doing it so -- one step forward one step back.

Thanks again for checking in.

Andy

Hi Andy,

How are you going ?  I  understand the "empty nest ".  I hope you are ok .   I know it's hard, but there's nothing else you can do , but " accept".   Been there, done that.!!   I understand that it's challenging, particularly at this time, but you just have to "move on." 

My daughter is about to move "overseas"  indefinitely.  She is a "feminist", and very proudly "independent".  I don't know what I did  ( wrong or right  !! ). She will probably  never  " settle down". 

I don't know , if I did the right thing, with her.  I worry, all the time.

Anyway my point is, that I understand your concern about your daughter, but you have to take care of yourself.  It doesn't mean  that we don't worry, but we have to move on.

Our kids will do what they want to do, and no amount of worrying will stop that.   I am trying to accept that , the best way that I can.

I hope you're doing well,   Love ,  Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

My hips have been an ongoing problem and I've probably been pushing it too far so that I work out and then suffer the consequences.  I can't stand being inactive -- creates a down mood.  Exercise really takes me out of the bad place when I'm doing it so -- one step forward one step back.

Hi Andy,

I've been following your thread and wanted to respond...but find myself overwhelmed a lot of the time and not always sure that I can be of help.

I can relate to your feeling that exercise helps mood, but sometimes causes more issues in the body. That's been true for me too, so it's always a weighing out of how to manage all of that. I have noticed though, that more exercise has helped with reducing some of the arthritic types of pain. My shoulders are better for example, when I swim more regularly.

I don't feel it's safe to recommend a supplement to anyone else, given how awful the response can be to these things. But I will say that taking tart cherry has proved helpful in reducing inflammation and arthritis pain for me. I started off using some juice, but was concerned about the high sugar content. I had no ill effects from it, so decided to move on to the supplement. I took 1/4 of a pill for about a week, then gradually increased to a full pill per day. No negative for me, and it helps reduce histamine..which is another issue.

Are you able to do any stretching or gentle type of movement...like yoga, tai chi, or qi gong? I think you've mentioned doing activity in the water before, which is easier on joints.

Seeing a chiropractor has also helped ease back pain for me. As I remember, this is something you were considering too. I think it's most helpful if you can get recommendations from friends or colleagues though, as there's such a variation in skill and healing abilities from one practitioner to another. I go for regular massage as well, and that's been a great assistance through wd.

I hope you'll see some easing of the hip pain. I think a lot of us suffer more from arthritis through wd...I know mine was worse than it had been in many years, but in most areas, is a whole lot better now.

Take care.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Freespirit,

Thanks so much for stopping by and posting, and adding some valuable information regarding the arthritis. 

I have done tart cherry juice in the past, and had no adverse effects, but I wasn't taking it for the arthritis -- just generally for anti-inflammatory purposes.  I think I will take another look at it as a means of helping limit the pain. 

What I find right now is I exercise for a day or two and then have to take several days off with much more limited movement.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Regardless, I try to get outside during the workday to walk around my city block 3 times to take a break from the sitting, etc.

The water exercise is the classic Catch 22.  My pool gets dirty with algae and if my hips hurt the last thing I feel like doing is cleaning the pool.  But I know if I did then I'd get in and maybe it would allow me to exercise and the hips would feel better, and...  LOL.  Hmmm.  I don't have a pool company on board because they are so crazy overpriced it kills me to pay them to do it and, if I had no issues, I like taking care of it.  I will need to figure this out next year.  What I'm doing now is not really smart.  :wacko:

I am planning on starting a Yoga class through my integrative medicine practitioner in the fall so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for your suggestions and visit!

Andy

I didn't realize you had your own pool. I can see how that would be a catch-22 situation. When I try to mention to anyone about how difficult it is keeping up with my house and yard, their eyes glaze over. They don't get it. My next-door neighbor just responds by saying, "you have to just get out and do it.". Clearly, he's never been in wd before. I always think I'd love to have my own pool though, as there are a lot of things about the public pool that don't agree with me..but yes, then I'd have to clean it.

Yoga sounds good...hope it proves helpful.

I understand the frustration around being more active, then having to take breaks. That's been true for me too, though it's a little better on that count now. Since the arthritis in my feet was bad and also a lot of back pain, I started riding my bike more. It doesn't seem to bring any ill effects, save a sore butt..which I can handle.

I think it's great you're able to get outside a few times/day for a walk. I'm a firm believer in the healing power of nature...and every bit of activity counts in my book.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Free.

Even when not in withdrawal yardwork is not my favorite thing, but... I'd happily do it if that was the trade off.

I tried cycling the other day and it went okay (spinning bike).  My butt hurt as well and until I see if it's something I can do regularly I'm not getting a gel seat which I recall helps (from my prior spinning life). 

The "mean streets" of Washington, DC are not exactly "nature" but the general point remains the same.  :P

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy ,    I was thinking exactly the same as Freespirit along the lines of gentle stretching yoga-style.  

Get those chakras opening , under a tree in a park.   It doesn't solve the activity issues but may relieve some hip pain.  You can look for youtube instructions on what specific poses to do.   I personally love the way you can feel pain by moving just a fraction , then it disappears as your joints stretch open.    

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Andy,

I hope that things are well with you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pug,

Thanks for checking in. I'm dropping my daughter off at college for preseason soccer so I have mixed emotions. Excited for her, nervous for her, and completely unsure of the empty nest thing -- especially not feeling great.

I've been dealing with some DP/DR and periodic small cortisol spikes which have been annoying. The health anxiety, fatigue and hip pain are still frequent visitors. But, I'm managing as best as I can. And I'm hoping for some greater improvements over time.

As for you, Pug, I do think the windows are a good sign, but I'm sorry you are enduring pain as the price to pay for those windows. I ope the windows grow while the waves recede.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've read through your thread and thought I'd weigh in on a few ideas being kicked around here.

I'm queen of the heart palps and daily cortisol spikes. Mine are mostly related to waking from REM sleep, or anxiety brought on by situational stress, or ruminating thoughts, or nightmares----or nothing at all! Ha!

Try Dandy Blend. It's got lots of antioxidants, tastes like coffee, helps calm the heart. You can get it on Amazon. I put a teaspoon in a mug of milk and microwave for 1 minute, then stir it, then microwave for another minute. Use more than a teaspoon if you really like the taste of coffee. I top off the mug with a big shot of whipped cream. It's yummy.

I have coffee when I feel like it. 2/3rds latte, 1/3rd coffee when I make it myself, or I just tell Starbucks, mostly latte.

Some people swear by OJ, cream of tartar and a dash of salt for heart palps. Some people swear by black strap molasses in their morning coffee. Some people take a small dose of a beta blocker that gets rid of them. I haven't done anything for them. They just come and go when they feel like it.

Also, I've never eliminated a thing from my diet, for fear I'll develop an intolerance to foods by eliminating them. I think withdrawal has a mind of its own and we just need to do our best to cope and reduce our anxiety over dealing with these symptoms as best we can.

I've spent a fortune on useless supplements that did nothing or made me feel worse. I've spent thousands of hours thinking about what I did or what I ingested that made me so sick when it probably was all withdrawal doing its thing, and what I did or didn't do had NOTHING to do with how I felt. I was going to feel like crap anyway.

Time is the only thing that heals us. I pray a lot. It soothes me to talk to God and beg for relief. The relief comes eventually, whether it was God's doing or not. Waves peter out sooner or later.

Just some random thoughts. No advice. I'm thinking of you. You spend lots of time encouraging people on their threads and I like that. Plus I have insomnia, so I'm awake and writing this at 11pm instead of sleeping.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other, do it one more hour, then one more day. The days pass, then the weeks, then the months, then you start feeling a little better, you despair a little less, you force yourself to think about how much better you feel than you did just a few months ago, and then you realize you're healing. The healing starts to pick up momentum and you know you're going to recover.

Love, Pug Knows

PS - The hip pain is very typical of withdrawal and will pass like a gas bubble eventually. In the meantime, warm baths in Epsom salts with lavender help a lot. I take Dr.'s Best chelated magnesium for relaxation and back pain due to six level spinal fusion surgery. I have no back pain and, in an X-ray, I look like a T-Rex. It may work for you. All the magnesium supplements work a little differently. I've tried every kind. You may want to try a different type or brand.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Pugknows,

Thanks so much for visiting my thread and giving me your thoughts.  You are a longstanding, valued contributor so I really appreciate your input.  I especially like the thought that hip pain might go away once this journey is further along.  That would be awesome!

Heart palps are very occasional and my theory is that the same things that predispose us to be sensitive to the SSRI and withdrawal are the same things that lead us to feel the heart palps when so many get them but don't notice.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts.

;)

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Quick update.  Per my adjusted signature, Monday was a drop of a little more than 6% (from 31 mg to 29 mg) which I am going to do every 3 weeks until I am down to 25mg (1 tablet) and I will stay there for a little while just to try to fully let my brain catch up.  Hoping to be at the 25 mg level by early October and will stay there certainly past the end of the year.  I posted recently about my various issues and they are all still relatively the same.  Still functional at work (at least my job still is in place so I assume so :o ) and doing all that I need to do notwithstanding some struggles from time to time.

Hope for the best for all.

Cheers,

Andy

You have a great attitude, Andy. It will carry you through this journey when you can't walk.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Andy,

How are things going with you?

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy,

How are things going with you?

That was a little scary, Pug.  I was (God's honest truth) just looking at your thread to see how you were when your message popped up in my email.  I'm looking around my office to see if there are any closed circuit devices trained on me!!!

Thanks for checking in.  I'm doing a little better today.  For the first time I can recall I felt a distinct tie between my drop in meds to being symptomatic.  I cut by 6.5% on Monday and by Wednesday and yesterday I was feeling it. I decided to ditch coffee and have been drinking my "Calm" and chamomile tea and today seems to be a little better.  Anxiety level is down a fair amount (I guess it being Friday doesn't hurt).  Still dealing with a lot of random "where did that come from" aches and pains but I was able to go to the gym and do a light workout so that was good (so at least my aches and pains will have a source! :P ).

Still moving along.  I have my general revised thoughts about a taper schedule in my mind.  Thoughts from you or anyone else welcome.

I am at 29mg of Sertraline right now (25 in a pill and 4mg in liquid).  My plan is to cut to 27mg in 3 weeks (September 14) and then to 25mg in another 3weeks (October 5).  At that point I will be on just the one pill and no liquid.  My plan then is to stay there for a while -- at least until the end of the year.  When I feel it is the right time (hopefully I will know :blink: ), I will start the reduction of the 25mg with the plan of reducing by 2mg per month or less if I need to slow down.  Goal would be to be off the med in 18 months which would be about 2.5 years total taper.

We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for checking in, Pug.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

So, I drove 8 hours yesterday to move my daughter into college. I'm feeling pretty crappy. Head is heavy, neck is stiff and painful, and I feel out of it and last night, after the drive, I was super dizzy which is a little better today. I feel some level of anxiety but mostly I am just depressed about feeling like this and being less than "there" for my daughter.

Any thoughts or words of support welcome. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm "surviving" rather than "living."

Sorry to be a downer,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

It's going to be okay Andy.  Speaking as a daughter , I can tell you that fatherhood is a marathon , not a sprint ( a bit like coming off ad's).  

You did good to get the drive and the move done - credit where credit's due.  

Hardly surprising to feel a bit beaten up , physically as well as emotionally.

Now that you've graduated to being an empty-nester , is this a time for creating a new space for your relationship with your wife?  

Be gentle with yourself today ,  

xxx

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Fresh. Not done with the physical move in. Bulk of that tomorrow.

I appreciate your words as always. As you know, the process is so friggin relentless.

As far as my relationship with my wife -- who knows? It's so hard when your significant other doesn't really "get" what you are dealing with and doesn't really try. Enuf said.

Andy

Andy,

Your feelings are understandable, it is so frustrating! I found these words of encouragement on the Bloom in Wellness FB page and saved them, maybe they will encourage you also. Take care my friend.

Today's reflection:

There are times when things don’t go according to plan or they take longer than anticipated to be resolved. When this happens, I may find it difficult to let go and be patient. I may feel as if life is passing me by and that I’m missing out on good opportunities. I may feel like giving up or may even be persuaded by well-meaning people in my life to release any expectation of a positive outcome.

If ever this is the case, I will remind myself that when in the midst of a situation, it is not always easy to see the bigger picture. My anticipated schedule may not be realistic and in sync with nature, and my complete healing may require more time. Although I may not fully understand the process, I will trust in my body's innate ability to heal and that I am on my way to being well again.

I let go of any need to analyse and control my situation and accept that I must be patient. As frustrating as persevering may be, I know this challenge is making me stronger, wiser and more compassionate. And I trust that in time, I will overcome it.

While I wait, I will look after myself well. I will nurture myself and be kind and gentle in my thoughts and actions. I will keep holding on. If I stumble and fall, I will get back up. If I fall again, I will pick myself up again.

I will never, ever give up. I know, in my heart of hearts, that I am going to make it. And so I will keep going and I will hold the vision of my recovery in my mind’s eye.

Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Pug,

I never thanked you for that post.  Thank you my friend.  From the bottom of my heart.  Beautiful.

An update since I haven't been on the board for the past week.  It's been a very difficult period but only partially due to w/d.

On the 31st we went up to move my youngest daughter into college.  She had been up at school for almost 2 weeks as a recruit to her school's soccer team.  She made fast friends with the girls on the team and was in an absolutely fantastic place.  We did the dorm move-in and, despite all the hassle, lifting, etc., it came out great and she was very excited.  We left her up there last Thursday in a great spot and were very happy.  On Friday we found out that due to a player who walked onto the team, the coach had decided to cut her.  She was devastated.  From that point on it was several days of calls and texts that "I can't stay here", "I'm leaving", "please come get me," etc.  It may sound melodramatic but as an incoming freshman she had built her transition to college on the foundation of this team and in one fell swoop it was ripped away from her.  For the better part of the past 5 days I thought for sure she was going to have to come home and have a total meltdown. 

She turned a corner on Monday night, in large part by taking control of her life and getting a tattoo (small and inconspicuous) which somehow was empowering for her.  Classes began on Tuesday and she is doing much, much better.  Needless to say, I am greatly relieved as it seems that she will be remaining in school and will, hopefully, thrive.

Surprisingly, during the worst of the days when it looked like things were really going sideways, and there was yelling and screaming and tears and efforts to persuade, etc., I was doing as well as I have in recent memory.  Almost like the cortisol rush that was ongoing was working IN my favor rather than AGAINST.  Yesterday, my first day back in the office and after things first appeared to have normalized, I crashed a little and felt like crap.  Lots of symptoms.  Today is only marginally better. 

I think while the CNS is sensitized do to withdrawal the mind and body do what is necessary to allow us to survive the chaos and then, when we don't need that support anymore, they let go and we come crashing back down to earth.  Perhaps this is part of what drives the windows and waves?  I'm not sure but I thought it was interesting and worth mentioning.

I've been keeping up and seeing how people are.

Best to all,

Andy

Hey Andy--  Well done on getting through the "life" stuff is such a good manner.  yea a bit of let down should be expected after all of that, but all in all it has moved you higher on the recovery scale.  Such a harsh learning experience for your daughter, but I'm sure it will all settle out and she will be fine.  Who knows maybe a slot will open back up on the team that she can slip into and save the day.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  Clearly a case of "what doesn't kill you..." for my daughter.  I don't think there's much chance of the latter and, to be honest, I'm not sure she'd want it any longer.  Anger is a good short term way of overcoming disappointment.

Thanks again.  I hope you are right about moving to a higher place on the recovery scale.  As you know, sometimes you feel like you are casting about, one step forward, two steps back.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a quick update.  Yesterday I did my next reduction in Sertraline.  Down from 29mg to 27mg after 3 weeks.  It was around 6.5% reduction still following the BrassMonkey Modified Slide (THANKS TOM!!!).  So far not feeling anything adverse but I wasn't expecting to after only 2 days of reduced dosage.  Will see how things go over the next couple of weeks.  Plan is to reduce to 25mg (one pill) in early October and then hold there until the New Year to see how I do with my body "catching up."  It would be nice to get some of that "feeling better while reducing" stuff.

Thanks for all the support to all.

Andy

So glad to see the slide method is treating you right Andy.  Keep it nice and slow and you should have a great holiday season.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Andy,

I am happy for you that your strategy is working and that you are feeling good at the moment.

I wish you all the best for the next weeks until the next drop.

If I will ever write a book or make a film I will incorporate a scene dedicated to the brassmonkey slide.

It could be the name for a secret martial arts move or the final and lethal blow in a boxing match.

Of maybe it is an counter-espionage technique only used by veterans from the cold war era ;-)

Anyway, glad to hear from you and that you are doing well.

Cheers,

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Tom and PB.  Probably posted a day too early.  LOL.  :blink:

So, last night I developed a fair amount of anxiety and elevated heartrate -- not dramatic but in the 80's rather than the 60's or low 70's -- enough for me to notice it.

This morning I feel rather "detached" and "remote" -- a little of the DP/DR that has been a struggle for me throughout.

Given that I reduced on Monday and it is now Wednesday, it is tempting to want to connect the two, however, I did want to hear from people as to whether that makes sense or whether it is "too soon" to be having a reaction to a less than 7% drop.  My guess is that people will agree it is related but I'm looking for reassurance and confirmation.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy-- as you know I did a 4 step slide, 2.5% a week for four weeks then hold an additional two weeks. In general the first drop I didn't feel much, the second drop I usually felt something about the fourth day, the third drop would vary between the second and fifth days and the last drop usually by the second day, but once in a while the same day.  Again in general, the symptoms would stabilize by the time of the next drop, except for week three which often lingered up into the next drop day.  Most of the time the symptoms stabilized over the hold period before I started the whole process again.

To maintain the 10% or less total drop I have changed my schedule since dropping below 3mg. I am now dropping 1mgpw (pill weight), which is equal to .08mg active ingredient, every three weeks.  The effects are similar in that I usually feel something by day two or three and it takes until the middle of week two or start of week three for things to stabilize.

It sounds like things are acting quite well for you, so I wouldn't worry.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tom, 

That's very, very helpful.

My protocol has been to drop 1ml/2mg of the liquid Sertraline every 3 weeks which is about 10-12% over a 6 week period (roughly similar to the 10%/month espoused here on S/A).  The reason for this choice is that 1ml is the smallest meaningful decrement I can measure with my syringe without feeling like I'm losing accuracy.  When I get lower I will need to either spread out the time or, more likely, dilute the liquid so that I can break this down further.  If, for example, I mix the sertraline in a like amount of water, then each ml will equal 1mg.  I figured I would do that when I restart my taper in January my intention being to hold from October to the end of the year as I will be on a single 25mg pill at that point and it will allow me 2 months of perfect accuracy (or as accurate as the pharma manufacturer is!) and give my brain a chance to fully "catch up" from the past several years of benzo reduction and SSRI reduction.

I really appreciate your weighing in with your experience and thoughts.  Knowing you had reaction within a couple of days gives me comfort that there is, in fact, a direct tie to the drop.

Thanks again,

Andy