apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

I sometimes feel the drop the same night. But nowadays day two. It is absolutely related!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

I sometimes feel the drop the same night. But nowadays day two. It is absolutely related!

Thanks for the confirmation and reassurance, Amy!

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, time for another update in my journal.

Today I reduced by dose (after 3 more weeks) to 25mg.  Down to a single pill -- yay!  It will be nice to not have to do the liquid Sertraline for a while.  I intend to hold at this level until after the new year in the hopes of stabilizing as completely as possible before heading down for the last 25mg over the next year plus. 

The good news -- I am still functional and making it through work, life, stress on various fronts, etc.  I am still able to exercise (to the extent not limited by my hip pain).  I am surviving.

The bad news -- I just don't feel all that great.  Symptoms for the most part:

• I'm not awful but I have a fair amount of random pain that seems to come and go all over. 
  • I have some generalized anxiety that can ramp up at any time without much warning
  • Some general feelings of hopelessness and fear this will never get better
  • Brain fog and "heavy-headedness"
  • General exhaustion
  • Health anxiety that leads me to believe symptoms are more significant than they are
  • Periodic restlessness (not to the level of akathisia but annoying nevertheless)
  • Some level of insomnia -- not horrible but sleep is not great

Overall, as you can see, I feel "not normal but not horrible."  I suppose it is to be expected given that I:

• tapered off of a benzo over two years prior to starting (immediately) to taper the SSRI
  • went from 100 in November 2014 to 75 in December and down to 50 by February 1 before I realized that was too fast to cut (essentially 50% over 2 months)

In all honesty, from the time I started "not feeling good" in June 2012 that prompted me to decide I needed off the psych meds, I just haven't felt "right".  Ever.  There have been ups and downs along the path but the general trend has been flat to down.  I'm hoping that over time it starts to turn around so that my graph goes upwards as I get lower.

Sorry if this isn't an "upper" post.  I'm a little down about this process of late. 

Encouragement would be appreciated.

Best to all,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hey Andy,

I think your doing great!

It's awesome that you are able to work and live.

Good luck to you. You will be fine!

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy,

I think your doing great!

It's awesome that you are able to work and live.

Good luck to you. You will be fine!

Tgirl

Thanks, tgirl!  I appreciate you checking in.

"Fine" would be, well.... FINE!

:D

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think you accomplished a lot during the last months and though you still have several annoying problems I also think that you will be fine.

Many people have severe problems reducing a benzo alone and you managed this and are already very far with the SSRI.

I share some of your "bad news" including the health anxiety but by re-reading posts and stories from co-sufferers I am still very optimistic that we will finally get better. I also hate this state of not feeling normal (not horrible as you said but also not really good) but at least there is change and (incremental) improvement.

Coming down from 100mg to 25mg is I believe an improvement itself if the wd symptoms haven't increased too much.

So as tgirl already said I think you are doing great and the rest will come as well.

Don't give up,

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, PapaBear.

I appreciate your support.

I know you've dealt with some struggles but you are making great strides as well.

Hang in there.

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

Hi, Andy. Yes, the process is slow and frustrating. I think your plan to hold at 25mg is a good one.

You may wish to work on your sleep, see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Andy. Yes, the process is slow and frustrating. I think your plan to hold at 25mg is a good one.

You may wish to work on your sleep, see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Thanks for your input, Alto.

The challenge for me is, at least in part, that I am a CPAP user for apnea.  I do not fall into the typical apnea sufferer category in that I am not overweight but, instead, have been blessed with an oversize (17 inch) neck (oversized because I'm only 5'8" (leaves me built sort of like, well... a fire hydrant?) that has led to structural apnea.

The difficulty is that I have been extremely compliant with my machine over the years but, of late, I've grown tired of it.  I suspect that withdrawal has played a role in that as I don't have the patience I used to for dealing with it.  I also find that some of the sensations I have in withdrawal, e.g., numbness and tingling, are irritating to me and impact sleep.  Overall, my sleep is better than many on this board so I don't want to overstate.

Best,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Finding it really hard to deal with the ups and downs (can't really call them windows and waves I don't think -- maybe tiny cracks?).  Sunday was at least a decent day and I was thinking "maybe I'm heading in the right direction?"  By today I woke to a numb right hand, high anxiety and generally just in a bad place.  Nothing to say here other than to vent a little frustration.  Need to center myself and move forward.  I have a dinner meeting tonight that I was hoping I'd be in a decent frame of mind for -- perhaps worrying I wouldn't has helped bring this on.

Well, just some musings.  Good day to all.

Andy

Hi Andy, just popped in to offer some support and to say keep going. I'm sure the dinner will be fine. Just eat a lot so you don't have a mouth empty enough to speak and then just nod in the right places! You'll be home before you know it.

Seroxat 30mg (January 1998 > till started taper April 2013 > off completely July 2013) this was about my fourth attempt.

Prozac 40mg ( July 2013 - Feb 2014) 

Sertraline 75mg (Feb 2014- started taper Feb 2015 - off May 2015)

Mirtazapine - 7.5mg for 2 weeks - 3.75mg one week - 2mg one week (December'15 - Jan 16)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

OK.  So I had to post this study but didn't want to put it on the more technical studies area because this is like the MOST OBVIOUS STUDY in the history of studies:

http://www.psychiatrist.com/jcp/article/Pages/2015/v76n01/v76n0106.aspx

It tells us that in the Baltimore, MD area approximately 70% of people on anti-depressants are not clinically depressed.  Shocker!!

I post it because it validates what we know on this site and that most of us got here even though we had "some other issue" than major depression to begin with.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

It's the same in Australia Andy , they prescribe ad's for a whole range of normal life events.    Good to hear you're

going to sit on one little pill for a good stretch . . . you deserve a tapering holiday.

I started taking MSM last week and thought it may help your hips . . . check it out.

Keep on keeping on , and happy halloween :) .  

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

It's the same in Australia Andy , they prescribe ad's for a whole range of normal life events.    Good to hear you're

going to sit on one little pill for a good stretch . . . you deserve a tapering holiday.

I started taking MSM last week and thought it may help your hips . . . check it out.

Keep on keeping on , and happy halloween :) .  

Thanks, Fresh!

I appreciate you keeping an eye on my symptoms!

Yes, the joint pain formula I am taking includes MSM along with several other things. 

http://www.targetednutrients.com/products/viewproduct/jubilee-3-joint-relief

So what exactly is in Jubilee 3™?

Here's what you get in every bottle of Jubilee 3™:

• Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate - This "dynamic duo" of natural joint healing promotes the repair of damaged cartilage and relieves arthritis pain better than the prescription drug Celebrex!
  • Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane (MSM) - This powerful natural source of biologically active organic sulfur supercharges the repair of joints and cartilage!
  • Hyaluronic acid - This powerful natural joint lubricant - often called the "WD-40" of the joints - helps restore natural lubrication, dramatically boosting flexibility and mobility!
  • Type II Collagen - This special form of collagen helps maintain the integrity of the cartilage matrix where cartilage tissue is manufactured!
  • Boron - This frequently overlooked dietary mineral has been known to miraculously reverse arthritis symptoms once it is added to one's diet!

Next logical question -- does it work?

I think it has provided some help.  I ran out and didn't refill right away as I was feeling somewhat better.  It felt worse so I refilled.  I'm feeling better again.  Not perfect but better.  So, I think it's a good product based on my N of 1. 

:P

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Ahh , interesting (and expensive!).    Do you know how much MSM is in each tablet?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Ahh , interesting (and expensive!).    Do you know how much MSM is in each tablet?

True, but only about a dollar a day if it helps!

Looks like 1000mg.

Supplement Facts Serving Size: 3 Capsules Servings Per Container: 30 Each Serving Provides:

Glucosamine Sulfate (Potassium) 1500 mg *

Chondroitin Sulfate 400 mg *

MSM 1000 mg *

Cartilage Support Factors - a blend of :    

Hyaluronic Acid 50 mg *

Type II Collagen 100 mg *

Boron 3 mg *  

Suggested Use: 3 capsules daily as a dietary supplement preferably with meals or as advised by your health professional.

• Moderator Emeritus

1000mg equals 1g , yes?   The recommended dose (from my reading) is either 5-8mg or up to 20mg.

One study is cited that shows doses larger than 8mg produce no additional benefit.  One doctor/author has been

taking 90mg a day for many years.

I'm just so chuffed with the effect , and I've been taking 2 x 2mg daily.   

Re price ,  500mg cost me $26 , and that's more than 3 months supply. 

You're right , a dollar a day is a bargain if it helps.

I wish I had come across this mineral years ago.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

1000mg equals 1g , yes?   The recommended dose (from my reading) is either 5-8mg or up to 20mg.

That's correct. I've seen recommendations for between 1500mg and 6000mg but I imagine some could say higher.  In the formulation I am taking the theory is that there are synergistic effects with the other ingredients so that 1000mg suffices.  It might be interesting to add another 1000mg and see if there is improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, I spent a little time rummaging through the site and I've come to some interesting theories about SSRI withdrawal.  I figured I'd use my thread as a place to post about it a little.  Kind of blogging here.  My two primary symptoms that are most frustrating are:

• dp/dr and
  • mild dizziness/imbalance

So, I've done a lot of research on both.  In addition to research I bought Shaun O'Connor's book on the subject and have read through it and listened to it numerous times.  What I find most interesting is the hypothesis that in dp/dr one's amygdala gets "stuck" in the "fight or flight" state and does not reset to normal levels.  This causes ongoing anxiety even if one does not "feel" anxious and this, in turn, leads to the self-defense mechanism of dp/dr where the mind/brain is essentially "removing" you from the anxiety-causing situation and distancing you to protect you.  Interesting theory and one that totally resonates for me.  It argues that the core of the dp/dr is anxiety and that in the absence of the anxiety you can't have dp/dr.  In this situation, the brain has neuroplastically remodeled itself so that the amygdala does not need a real trigger as it is always triggered.  OK.  Hold that thought.

My dizziness started back in 1986 when I was on vacation and was sunning myself daily on a dock that was gently swaying in with the ocean.  Lovely except that after perhaps the 3rd or 4th day I got up from the dock and still felt the sense of motion.  I went for all kinds of testing and it never really was resolved.  It was for that I was first prescribed a benzo and, I believe, that the benzo led me to ultimately need an AD.  So, this dizziness "thing" is at the core of my situation in some way.  Over time I've looked at a lot of possible diagnoses but one that keeps coming back to me is Mal de Debarquement.  For those of you playing along at home, here is a link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement  In essence, this is a disease where the sense of motion continues in the absence of motion.  Again, the theory behind this is that the brain is unable to reset to its "non-motion" situation.  Not sure that's what I have and I have frequently wanted to view this false sense of motion/dizziness as a withdrawal symptom, however, it predated my initial foray onto psych drugs, so... that argues for some underlying organic condition (with the understanding it could be attributable solely to the anxiety and depression that existing beneath it all).  The similarity in the two, i.e., focusing on the brain not resetting is striking to me. 

Today as I was rummaging, I came across the following from a 2006 response from Dr. Shelton to Alto's email.  Dr. Shelton said the following regarding prolonged withdrawal syndrome (I've highlighted some particularly relevant passages):

The discontinuation effect is truly horrific in some people. The direct mechanisms involved in the genesis of the problem can't really be involved in it's persistance. So, what's up with that? In fact, there are long-standing adaptations that can take place in the nervous system. However, as with most things in the body, the problem is a variation of a normal process (otherwise, it wouldn't be there in the first place). There appear to be lots of variation in this reaction in people who develop persistent symptoms, but one salient feature that seems almost invariably present: They become intensely afraid during the experience. People may describe this in different ways, but the way the brain is reacting is an exaggeration of what the brain does during threat. The physical symptoms are consistent with that. So the "threat" systems are "turned on" and don't "turn off" easily. This can happen in a few ways, but has to occur pretty fast. In fact, it is a normal response. Think of a mouse living in a field somewhere. If there is an acute threat that occurs (e.g., chased by a cat) and the mouse escapes, the mouse's brain has to remember that and react. There are a couple of ways to do that. One is to synthesize proteins to "remember." That, actually, is slow (but happens). The second is to actually do something to the genes controlling the system itself: to induce chemical modifications to the genes or the supporting structure to activate some genes and inactivate others. The net effect is for the system to stay "on" so to speak. However, in this situation, it is purely adaptive. Going by the principle, then, that people vary in their response, some people seem particularly prone to have this to occur. That is why when people are exposed to a life threatening situation, some go on to develop post-traumatic stress disorder, and others don't. Now, one important thing is that most people develop trauma related symptoms immediately after an event (e.g., insomnia, dreams of the event, anxiety, etc., etc.). In the normal situation, these symptoms resolve within a month. But some people develop long-standing responses, in which the system is turned "on" and they can't turn it "off." I think that is what is at play here.

I'm not entirely sure what all this means, but I do think it means something.  I think it suggests that in my case but perhaps in many of our cases, the brain is susceptible to overreaction and is unable to return from its overreactive state to its normal state.  This would explain why benzos help because it results in an overall dampening of the brain's response. 

The key, of course, is to find some kind of "factory reset" button like you have on your iPhone!  Not sure how to find that and whether the logical reset would be chemical or mechanical but it's definitely a place to look. 

Perhaps that is why people who have done TMS and CES have seen benefit?  I.e., they did a "mini-electro shock treatment" that caused the brain to move towards a reset?  Just speculating but interested in anyone's thoughts (if you've managed/bothered to read this far).

Thanks for indulging,

Andy

Yes i have read it. Very interesting.

Just wanted to say great stunning avatar...remember though 'no headers'.

Hey now there is something to look into....headers!!

nz11

Ban those headers.

And all Russian track and field athletes.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Just wanted to say great stunning avatar...remember though 'no headers'.

Hey now there is something to look into....headers!!

I recognize the levity of your comment, NZ, but I have LONG THOUGHT that some of my issues relate to many, many years of soccer playing and heading the ball.  Back when I was playing a lot there was no understanding of brain microtrauma and the repeated "mini-concussions" that undoubtedly take place heading a soccer ball descending from, at times, 50 or more feet.  I would have hoped that any such TBI would have healed over time but then you add the brain-altering substances like benzos and ADs and...

Who really knows.

Thanks for reading,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

So, I'm posting to journal my frustration with the process. I'm on week 6 of holding at 25mg of Sertraline and I really figured that by now I would be feeling pretty good and certainly better than I did when I decided to start my hold.  Unfortunately, I'm definitely not improved and, if anything, have slid back a few steps.  Having more internal agitation, dp/dr, vision issues, health anxiety, etc.  Not dramatically worse, but enough that I'm noticing and I'm frustrated.  Not sure there's much that can be said other than "stay the course" and "time heals" but just needed a place to vent.

Thanks,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy , sorry you're not feeling better by now.  So frustrating , and you're right , all you can do is

"stay the course".

I sometimes wonder if your holds were long enough , but I understand you were keen to get down to

one single tablet.

Your post 163 was very funny for me to read - it explains so eloquently what I experience all the time.

Part of me is waiting in the wings in a defensive mode , just waiting to jump out as soon as I feel threatened.  

This is lessening over time , I'm less quick to react , but It's definitely still an issue.

Here's a recent example:  Ms X , who I've had numerous disagreements with , chair of the strata executive

committee where I live , recently moved out (yayy , I don't have to see her anymore , big relief !).  

She got tenants in but her and her partner still  hold 2 out of 5 positions on the committee . . . partner

has a proxy from a third member of the committee who owns 2 units.  

So there's this menage a trois running the show.

The week she moves , the garage door remote controls stop working on our door.  I tested mine on another garage door , still works , so it's not the device.  So I jumped to the conclusion that they've had the code changed , and I was furious.  

This inconveniences everyone else , and is exactly the sort of thing she would do.  I was sooo furious , enraged , probably disproportionate to the circumstance.  

I see this as a symptom on a dial , it can be turned up and down , rather than just on or off.

Perhaps one day it actually will be turned off . . . I'll have to wait and see.

. In the normal situation, these symptoms resolve within a month. But some people develop long-standing responses, in which the system is turned "on" and they can't turn it "off." I think that is what is at play here

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for responding, Fresh, as always.  ;)  You are a gem among gems.

I don't know about the "holds" on the way to where I am.  You could be right but, to be honest, drop to drop it was mostly "no change."  I felt pretty much the same all along the way.  Some were better and some were worse but none caused me to say, "uh-oh."  It is entirely possible that the cumulative effect of those drops is being felt now in some sense, but there was really no warning sign or way to know to do it differently if that was the case.  It is highly likely that the back-to-back tapers of the benzo for 2 years followed immediately by the AD stressed my CNS to the point where it is like the proverbial "dog that's been beat too much" (apologies to Mr. Springsteen).  I'm hoping that the hold which I planned to go for another 6 weeks will suffice to see things stabilize so that I can start the taper of the last 25mg.  Only time will tell,

Again, thanks for jumping in and, just to be clear, if it were MY garage door and she DID change the code, I might have OFFED her!  Not that I'm prone to overreaction or anything!

:P

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL , thanks Andy.  I initially reacted childishly , using the visitor parking instead of the garage.  But it's hot

here , and better to park in the shade.  Probably good she's moved out so there's no risk of her car/motorbike

getting accidentally scratched as I walk past , :angry: .

When I'm can be calm enough I need to email the Strata very politely. Even now my heart is thumping thinking

about it. I hate these games.  But I love that I'm well enough to RESPOND rather than just REACT.  

Re Traumatic Brain Injury ,  does anything show up on an MRI?   I'm curious enough that I'd want to see.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Andy,

Sorry you are having a little rough times. You have been great support to me and i just want to say(and I have said it before) that considering the length of time you are on these meds you are doing very well!

SC2

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Star.

I appreciate your coming to my thread to offer support.  Hoping it is just the annual "pre-holiday season" too stressed out combined with an overly sensitive CNS that is causing some waves for me.

Much appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

nice picture. What position did you play?

I am sorry to hear about your current situation. I hope it will improve soon!

From what about I read about TBI or CTE following high impact sports it seems to be more related to football, rugby or boxing but only in very few cases to soccer. So even if you used your head often I woulnd't worry too much about possible consequences.

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

...pressed 'Post' accidentially :-)

I also read the piece from Dr. Shelton with interest and I always had a similar theory in mind after reading several articles about a potential cure for PTSD found by a Dr. Lipov (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Lipov) who is argueing that the symphatic nervous system is adapting to stress (I guess wd is stress) by permanently increasing its efficiency. Thus after some time it will simply remain in a state of higher functionality which I assume could be true for some of us.

Anyway I really hope that you are feeling better soon and that the coming holiday season will bring relief to you.

PB

I hope you're feeling better today.  I appreciate you stopping by my journal & for your advice.  Was going to ask ~ do you take whole food Vit C with your mag?  I read on the FB mag page that the whole food Vit C will help the mag to be absorbed better.  Yes, I know...completely off topic.  Have a good weekend.

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your posts, PB and bromor.

I recently started Vit C and I use spray on as well so that gets absorbed either way, I imagine.

Update is that Friday and Saturday were good days.  Had some brief periods of feeling better -- hesitate to call them "windows" but definitely better.

Today, not so much.  Trying, as we all do, not to get down on the backslides but that is hard.

Hanging in as I hope we all are.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends.

Andy

Hi Andy! I'm also tapering Sertraline- just got through a hold of about a month at 29. It was discouraging to feel I had to hold so long. I wasn't feeling great, and earlier tapers had been relatively painless. Then after a while... I felt ready to taper again. Fingers crossed.

Don't discount the effect of winter weather and light on things. I inevitable feel different this time of year. Might affect you too. Taking a walk in the early morning is great for me, if I can hack it- the light and exercize are so helpful.

Good luck! Happy Thankgivibg. I'm fleeing family this year and headed to relax with hubby all by ourselves, in a non American country!! Can't wait.

Found this site for real in 2015. Decided to taper slowly.

** I should mention that anytime I haven't been in a wave, I've felt pretty amazing! I only record the waves to look for patterns : ))**

50 mg Zoloft 6/2015, with intermittent fish oil

6/9/15 alternated 50 mg/37.5 mg - doc's idea (she meant well) 6/17 terrible morning anxiety and rumination, flu symptoms, and prickles in legs. 6/18 up to 45 mg liquid Zoloft. 6/26-29 cortisol mornings and bad anxiety. 6/30 started to take mag 100 mg and fish oil regularly with med 7/4 44 mg. 7/8 42.6 mg. 7/16 40 mg. 7/23 39 mg 8/1 32 mg (bad idea).

8/5 fatigue, anxiety, can't sleep, depressed. 8/7 36 mg resolved to be patient and try to keep to THE THREE KIS's. 8/13-15; 8/17- 23 painful physical and mental wave. Started light therapy 20 m in am. 8/25 34 mg, added 80-100 mg liquid mag during day. great window til 8/29 2 day down stretch 9/8 32.8 mg 9/11-14 wave added acupuncture 9/22 31.5 mg teeny wave 10/6 30 mg small grumpy wave 10/19 28.5, same pattern- small wave at day 5. A few tough weeks. Held around 29 until 11/18 when dropped to 28 mg; 11/22 the usual fluey fatigue. 11/30 27 mg 12/14 25.75ish mg "hold til Xmas club" (in my case New Years) Xmas was tough, kept holding: by 1/15, feeling good again. 1/25/16 Mirena IUD out after nearly six years- I think it was affecting my mood and taper- feeling super great! 2/2 down to 24 mg. symptoms much less severe. One day, not too bad wave on 2/8. 2/15 down to 20 mg from 24. A week later, two restless mornings and one morning of brain fog. 3/2 from 20 to 16 mg! Wish me luck.

Medicine History:

Currently tapering from 50mg Zoloft. Ten years of SSRI's including Celexa, Prozac and Zoloft, as well as a stretch with Wellbutrin added to the Zoloft. When I started on Zoloft (4 years ago?) I was on 100 but was able to taper down to 50 via 25 mg increments slowly around 2013. Have used light therapy and fish oil intermittently since around 2013. Have tried unsuccessfully to get off the meds since then in what I know now to be too large a taper (for example, jumped from 25 to 12.5 and that did not work). Motivated to do this slowly because that's the only way it will happen.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy! I'm also tapering Sertraline- just got through a hold of about a month at 29. It was discouraging to feel I had to hold so long. I wasn't feeling great, and earlier tapers had been relatively painless. Then after a while... I felt ready to taper again. Fingers crossed.

Don't discount the effect of winter weather and light on things. I inevitable feel different this time of year. Might affect you too. Taking a walk in the early morning is great for me, if I can hack it- the light and exercize are so helpful.

Good luck! Happy Thankgivibg. I'm fleeing family this year and headed to relax with hubby all by ourselves, in a non American country!! Can't wait.

Thanks for checking in, Orangecat. Have a great trip!

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Apace,

The soccer-ball caught my eye as both my daughters are soccer mad (ages 10 and 13).  Then your comments about brain injury from heading the ball jumped out at me.  Just recently word came down through our NZ soccer federation advising our young soccer players to avoid heading the ball, and definately not to practise it repeatedly.  Apparantly it is now of some concern...

I need to re-read your post about withdrawal theories and fight/flight etc.  I have PTSD, and that's basically having your fight/flight switch stuck on (so far as I understand it).  I've had it since before I was 5 years old - and it's an immense battle for me to operate in any other way.  So that would make sense of my being an especially sensitive withdrawer.  But I need to understand it better, cause it seems scary too.  I've been trying to get out of this place in my life generally because it is horribly unhealthy in all sorts of ways.  But that it might cause w/d to be extra long and difficult...

Gleep.  Okay, didn't want to be a big worrier on your thread, just trying to make sense of it.  I think it would be good for me to look further into how to turn it around somewhat, if possible.  Surely it's possible? 

I learned something called EFT which helps kind of re-set things in your brain/body/feelings. 

So I've got some thinking to do.  Thanks for sharing - I don't mind getting through a slightly scary new info if it gets me somewhere better in the end.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your post, KarenB,

The theories I have on microtrauma and TBI from soccer ball heading are not fully formed and while there are some studies done in Turkey on Italian professional players as I recall, there is not a lot of hard science that would suggest it is a major concern.  I do think that the NZ soccer authority is smart in limiting the practice in children whose brains are still forming.  I think the bigger issue that is usually identified is head to head contact during battles for balls in the air.  Far more likely to cause significant concussions.  Having said that, the theory of repeated head trauma at a lower level leading to problems is akin to what we see in the States in US football where lineman hit helmets play after play after play.  It's not a huge collision that would result in concussion, but it has been theorized to take a gradual toll over time.  Since one of the keys to brain injury in the form of concussion is allowing time for repair, the constant repetition would seem to promote repeated microtearing without much time for repair.  I'm not a neurologist but can't imagine that can be GOOD for you.  LOL. 

As far as the fight or flight and PTSD concepts, this is consistent with what I think is going on generally, i.e., that some people have brains that are more likely to get "stuck" in some hyperexcited state and need a longer time to rewire.  I think it happens -- just slower for some of us than others.  The question is whether we can find something that is safe but also allows for recovery at a quicker rate.

Best,

Andy

Concerns about head trauma in sports have become a really big topic over here.  The primary thrust has been in American style football where it has become obvious over the years that the continued minor traumas add up to cause much greater problems.  It is not uncommon to see players pulled from the game to get checked after a particularly rough play.  I'm not certain, but pretty sure, that there are strict rules on "heading" in our the youth soccer leagues for the same reasons.  If you look at the "sport" of boxing you can see a very clear pattern of accumulative minor head traumas adding up to big problems.  The term "punch drunk" was the way to write it off for years.  I have seen the decline, over the years, in several friends who participate in such events.  With one friend you can tell how the weekend fights went by his cognitive abilities the next week and can also see that there is no "full recovery" each time.

To me, not heading the ball just makes sense, as the couple of times I've done it, it was just plain painful.  Has anyone seen my glasses, I can't find my glasses. What were we talking about? LOL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking