apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

To me, not heading the ball just makes sense, as the couple of times I've done it, it was just plain painful. 

The problem is, Tom, that it is an integral part of the game, and the game, as currently constructed, can't be played at a high level without it.  At the youth level, which here in the US is NOT uniformly governed as to heading to my knowledge, parents can step in and tell their kid not to head the ball, but, after a certain point, that will hold a player back from advancement.

Of course, 30+ years ago, when I was playing in my prime, we didn't know SQUAT, so I spent hours after practice with my coach just heading balls over and over and over. 

It is not clear what it takes to create CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) but here is a brief summary of what it is:

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in athletes (and others) with a history of repetitive brain trauma, including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head. CTE has been known to affect boxers since the 1920s. However, recent reports have been published of neuropathologically confirmed CTE in retired professional football players and other athletes who have a history of repetitive brain trauma. This trauma triggers progressive degeneration of the brain tissue, including the build-up of an abnormal protein called tau.  These changes in the brain can begin months, years, or even decades after the last brain trauma or end of active athletic involvement.  The brain degeneration is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and, eventually, progressive dementia.

Definitely scary stuff.

Andy

For those interested, this is a very well-written article squarely on point.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/cost-header

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy ,  if you even suspect you have TBI from soccer , it's only sensible to get yourself tested.

Particularly if this is a degenerative condition , as the above info. suggests.  

It's important for your future to know.  Do it for your wife and kid/s if not yourself.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

That would be great, Fresh, but there is no way to test any of this.

I mean I've had CT and MRI over the years which showed nothing degenerative so...

The only tests that are conclusive for any of these conditions are brain studies after you are dead. 

They need to study the brain tissue.  I'm not giving them any.

I don't really show many signs of dementia to be honest.  It's just something I wonder about as a cause of the initial diagnosis of dysthymia.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

I don't visit much lately, to focus all my energy on recovery, but I often think about your journey and how you are doing. I hope all is well and you are meeting with success and holding on to much hope.

Take care my friend.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Andy!  Finally, I read your thread!  (sorry, I am the slowest mod in the biz, I try to make up for it by being thorough.)

The bit about soccer and TBI, well, it's real.  My best friend (doctor-friend, you hear me talk about her a lot) has a son who was soccer mad.  She was ecstatic because it wasn't high impact like basketball (knees) or football (heads, spine, knees), and promoted excellent cardio health, running running running.  On his 15th birthday, he had a grand mal seizure.  They SAY they cannot trace the cause, but it's like you say - multiple tiny TBI's are really hard to diagnose.  Hopefully the young lad looked at his choice:  to drive a car in the future, or to continue playing soccer? and chose the car.  I haven't checked in on this, it really stressed his Mum out.

BUT here's the thing:  done is done.  The best thing to do is not do it again - and keep a loving eye on your daughter.  Hopefully she wasn't exposed to the same drills as you!  I remember that, the soccer lads at school felt that repeated drills would "toughen up the head," and there is some truth to that, but it requires um, centuries of evolution, in addition to the drills?  (STORY:  this is hearsay, but my understanding of the native aboriginal Australian skull was that it was thicker, due to their legal punishment system of blows-to-the head.  AND 30,000 years of evolution with this tribal practice.  Unfortunately, in one breeding cross, this trait is lost, and if they inflicted their traditional punishment, it  could be fatal.  Now, a "spear to the thigh" is one of the punishments still executed in some tribal laws.)

The good news is, even if it is TBI, your CBD (see Cannabis thread) should help that, over time, along with fish oils and coconut oils.  My herbalist has me on Bacopa for the damage done to me (also called Brahmi) - says you need at least 3 months to build up brain benefit.  Additionally, she insists that I take lecithin and Phosphatidyl Serine and Choline.  OR - eat sunflower and pumpkin seeds.  (these contain helpful amounts of selenium and zinc, too).  As always, try supplments carefully, and refer to http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet/ to see about other's experiences.

You mention:

The challenge for me is, at least in part, that I am a CPAP user for apnea.  I do not fall into the typical apnea sufferer category in that I am not overweight but, instead, have been blessed with an oversize (17 inch) neck (oversized because I'm only 5'8" (leaves me built sort of like, well... a fire hydrant?) that has led to structural apnea.

The difficulty is that I have been extremely compliant with my machine over the years but, of late, I've grown tired of it.  I suspect that withdrawal has played a role in that as I don't have the patience I used to for dealing with it.  I also find that some of the sensations I have in withdrawal, e.g., numbness and tingling, are irritating to me and impact sleep.  Overall, my sleep is better than many on this board so I don't want to overstate.

Yeah, I'm sick of CPAP and I haven't even started yet.  Hubby's CPAP is enough to have in the house.  Again, the good news is, start singing:

and

especially the "ng ng ng" (saaaannng, biiing, nooong) and "G" sounds "gaaaa giii geeeee gooooh, guuuuu" and "gu-gu-gu-gu-gu"  to strengthen the INSIDE muscles of your throat.

It's not that your fire-hydrant neck is overbuilt, it's that the soft stuff inside isn't as well trained as the outside!   ;)

Sadly, I cannot stand the sound of my voice since thyroid surgery.  I try to spend some time chanting in the car and acupuncture and hot tub, but my vocal chords are damaged, and I have a lot of work to do to build them up.  But you, you still have vocal chords, I can hear them from here!  Go get 'm tiger!  ROAR!   :lol:

My dizziness started back in 1986 when I was on vacation and was sunning myself daily on a dock that was gently swaying in with the ocean.  Lovely except that after perhaps the 3rd or 4th day I got up from the dock and still felt the sense of motion.  I went for all kinds of testing and it never really was resolved.  It was for that I was first prescribed a benzo and, I believe, that the benzo led me to ultimately need an AD.  So, this dizziness "thing" is at the core of my situation in some way.  Over time I've looked at a lot of possible diagnoses but one that keeps coming back to me is Mal de Debarquement. 

For those of you playing along at home, here is a linkhttps://en.wikipedia...de_debarquement  In essence, this is a disease where the sense of motion continues in the absence of motion.  Again, the theory behind this is that the brain is unable to reset to its "non-motion" situation.  Not sure that's what I have and I have frequently wanted to view this false sense of motion/dizziness as a withdrawal symptom, however, it predated my initial foray onto psych drugs, so... that argues for some underlying organic condition (with the understanding it could be attributable solely to the anxiety and depression that existing beneath it all).  The similarity in the two, i.e., focusing on the brain not resetting is striking to me. 

Ah-hah!  Me too!

Mine was somewhere in between what you experienced and "land sickness."  Normal land sickness goes away after a few hours.  I went on a very rough pre-spring Caribbean Cruise - 5 days - but there were times that the tilt was quite sickening - hubby's vertigo was very unhappy on the ship.  I took the ship in stride - loved it in fact (I have seafarers in my genes!).  When we embarked at port, I didn't notice anything - but when we LANDED - for 3 weeks to the month, any time I walked through a door, I had to adjust my brain to the tilt (or non-tilt, as the case actually was) of the room and sway a bit.  I called it "sea legs," and just thought it was "land sickness."  BUT it went wayyy too long for normal "land sickness."  I was still tilting at 2-3 weeks out.  

By then I was an SA'r, and didn't think much about it.  Just laughed and went on my way.  BUT - I do not work, I was on holiday, it didn't interfere with driving or functioning.  IF IT HAD BEEN MORE SEVERE, and I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER, I might have sought help from a doc.  (BTW, the antihistamines Serc and Antivert would've been better choices than damn benzos!)

So no hammocks for you, then?  I've always wondered about hammocks - spinal support?  swaying at sea while sleeping?  Hmmmm.  Maybe not?

NOTE:  Yoga balance exercises may be of benefit to you.  This one is not too bad - but if you are like most men I know, I recommend you use blocks to support correct spinal alignment in your forward fold (fold from hips, not upper back):

It's a delight to read your thread, Andy Apace - you've got a bright and contagious positive attitude that is a huge boon to our little village here.  I'm honored to claim to know you!  You can do this!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw geez, that post took on a life of it's own!  Franken-post!   :D  :P

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I'm not knowledgable in TBI & I do tend to agree with not giving your brain tissue for study! ;). However ~ thinking that you probably can't go wrong to support your brain function & balance in whatever natural ways you can. The brain's neuro plasticity is truly nothing short of amazing.

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy,

I don't visit much lately, to focus all my energy on recovery, but I often think about your journey and how you are doing. I hope all is well and you are meeting with success and holding on to much hope.

Take care my friend.

Pug,

Thanks as always for your kindness and interest.  I'm hanging in there and continue to try to keep the positive going.

You stay well my friend and congrats on the 1 year mark!

You are healing,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I started a new topic for this article in "Tapering" but thought I'd put it here as well.

Awesome article. Need more docs like Kelly Brogan!

Andy

http://kellybroganmd.com/article/stop-madness-coming-psych-meds/

• Moderator Emeritus

It's incredible to read words like that and know they are written by a doctor.  I especially love the words 'The patient is rarely wrong.'  Thanks for posting the article.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks for stopping by my journal. Hope you are feeling well ~ I certainly appreciate how positive and supportive you are to others. :)

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• Moderator Emeritus

So nice of you to stop by to say that, Bromor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Trying to find the best place to post this so I figured I'd start here. 

http://stateofyourhealth.com/live2

At 9AM PST, 12 noon EST and 3AM tomorrow (in some parts of Australia) Kelly Brogan will be speaking at the attached.  It will also be on tape so those of you down under (including you Kiwis) don't need to be up at all hours.

She's always good to hear speak.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Good stuff to watch on psychiatric drugs from a few months ago.  Panel with Whittaker, Kirsch, Gabriel Cousens, and former Drug rep Gwen Olsen. Very compelling.  2 parts -- about an hour each.

http://www.therealtruthabouthealth.com/2015-conference-replays/watch/64/the-truth-about-pharmaceutical-drugs-and-medical-industry-part-1

http://www.therealtruthabouthealth.com/2015-conference-replays/watch/64/the-truth-about-pharmaceutical-drugs-and-medical-industry-part-1

Very worthwhile,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

So, it's been quite a while since I've updated and I thought this would be a good time.  Like many, I was hoping to find a nice window so my post would be positive and cheerful but that is not the case.  I have been on a hold since early October and was really hoping that I would stabilize and feel really good so that I could start the last 25mg of taper.  Instead of feeling better to be honest I've felt worse for the most part.

I went away on an annual vacation to Florida the last two weeks of January.  I fly my family down and drive down to meet them.  It's a 16 hour drive so that is kind of stressful.  I guess the fact that I can do that is a sign that I'm in decent shape but it's hard to say what toll that takes on the body and mind.  I will say that the first week on vacation I was pretty good.  Not great but at least a mini-window where I could enjoy some things, people, relaxed, read and overall was in a pretty good place.  Second week my anxiety and symptoms ramped up and ever since then I've been dealing with very bad dizziness.  Feeling off-balance and out of sync most of the time.  While dizziness is a pretty common symptom of w/d, it triggers severe health anxiety for me and I start thinking about other things it might be.  This spirals things out of control and makes it hard to function. 

Importantly, I would note that 30 years ago, before I ever took any psychotropics, I was hit with unexplained dizziness that led me to my first benzo since my doctors did not find any cause and assumed dizziness due to anxiety.  That may be correct, but this latest bout has triggered in me the fear that I will wind up back on benzos or something else to deal with this issue. 

I came back from my trip on New Year's Eve, dropped my family at the airport at 5AM and drove the 16 and a half hours straight through so I could be home for New Year's Eve.  I'm probably largely paying the price for that piece of idiocy.  Couple that with the fact that I went back to work on Monday and was absolutely slammed with a ton of high stress matters at the job and, well.. perfect storm for feeling kind of crappy.  I've been less active on the site because of the job pressure, the life pressure and the head pressure. 

This condition, as you all know, is so hard because it plays with your mind and hits you in your weakest places.  For me that is fear that something is going on other than withdrawal.  The fact that my "original" symptom has resurfaced with a vengeance only serves to make this fear even worse. 

My plan is still to restart my taper this coming weekend.  I have not seen enough upside from holding for 3 months to feel like a continued hold is warranted.  Not really sure what else to do but to try to continue to get off the poison and hope that as I go lower it will get better.

Any words are welcome -- words of encouragement especially appreciated.

Best to all,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to offer some support and encouragement as you continue your journey. I am planning on beginning my first sertraline taper in a long time very soon, and you have all kinds of fantastic information on this thread. So for that, I thank you.

For me the number one cause of all of my stress is sleep. During the few, short times that I was completely off medication, a one or two hour difference, temperature, light--anything--made an enormous difference. Trying to counteract it with coffee always gets me feeling dizzy from lack of sleep and dehydration too. Hoping to cut it out soon, though, to help stabilize energy levels. I would rather feel either consistently crappy or okay than to be up and down all day.

Driving as much as you did + the holiday season in general would make me feel a little insane. I'm sorry to hear about your dizzy spells and anxiety. I hate feeling like my motor skills are being taken over by a sloth. My blood pressure has always been a little lower than average, so anytime I stand up I get a head rush/blackout. It's annoying, but my doctors have never found it to be anything serious, even though I sometimes get nauseous too.

I don't know very much about tapering (yet) nor do I have any great advice, but you seem like a very intelligent and wise person. In whatever case you're feeling panicked, I'm willing to bet that you are way stronger than you think. I kind of feel like all of us here are a first wave clan of fighters to this industry and a culture that encourages the suppression of any negative feelings, much less assigning connotations to human emotion at all. As long as you are confident and persevere in what you're doing, you're being a huge inspiration to everyone. 

PS: The fact that you were still able to survive the holidays and get straight back to work is impressive sheerly from a human standpoint, haha.

Peace,

RBR

Beginning of slow taper: November 2017: 45mg liquid sertraline 

December 2017: 40 mg liquid sertraline

January 2018: 35 mg liquid sertraline

February 2018: 30mg liquid sertraline

March 20, 2018: 25 mg liquid sertraline

May 2nd, 2018: 20 mg liquid sertraline

June 1st, 2018: 18 mg liquid sertraline

July 2018: reinstatement to 20 mg liquid sertraline

September 21st, 2018: took 50mg sertraline for one day; reinstated back to 22mg liquid sertraline after

September 29th-30th: Ran out of liquid, taking 25 mg tablets to hold for two days until liquid scrip is ready

Wow 16 hrs ...thats some drive! You must have passed a fair few crackerbarrels !

Thanks for update nice to see that soccerball back on the 'header' page again. (pun intended)

That looks a very interesting link on the whitaker conference. At first i thought it was the cep one then i looked and realised its a different one . Noticed that Kirsch and Owen are in the speaker lineup ....thats funny cos i just ordered their books from the library and got the email yesterday to go and pick them up so i think that will be a great listen ....ugh! so much great stuff to read and listen to . Andy how  do you manage to fit a job in as well?

This condition, as you all know, is so hard because it plays with your mind and hits you in your weakest places. 

Boy did you totally nail it with that sentence! Got it in one.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Andy! It's nice that you have shared what you are going through. Strangely, a lot of what you said resonates with how I've been feeling lately.

I also started getting very wobbly in October and things have been only getting worse since then. When you mention that the original symptom that led you to start taking the drugs resurfaced, that's exactly what has happened to me. In my case it was panic attacks which I hadn't had for over 10 years. What I keep telling myself (although find it very hard to believe) is that we are not the same people we were all those years back. 

We have much more experience and knowledge to enable us to take a better care of ourselves now. As I keep saying to other members who are struggling, although I feel our situations to be very similar, I can look at your situation with much greater clarity than on mine. What I would like to see for you is to be a lot more easy on yourself. Protect yourself more, put yourself first, second, third...even if that seems difficult, selfish, not feasible.- in particular if it feels like that. I know I should take a sick leave but for all the just mentioned reasons I think I can't. I see that you also have a lot of reasons against that. One of them being that you have just come back from a holiday. But this was not the case for your brain. It didn't get its due. 

I would say that a better self care and putting ourselves first at the expense of everything and everyone else is a lesson we have to learn from this experience.

I wouldn't push the taper although you don't feel the benefit of holding. That would be more stress for your brain. I also see that I will have to hold for much longer than I thought and I don't like this one bit. That was not part of the plan. But I'm so unwell that I can't even be frustrated.

I don't think this kind of feedback was what you expected but I see two replies have just arrived and I believe they will be more spot on :)

We will make it. Maybe not in the way we planned but we will.  

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a rough time. Have you ever thought about a naturopath or functional med doctor to help? I'm only asking because the doc I'm working with has helped me so much!! I'm still dealing with some withdrawal symptoms but nothing like I was before. I think that so many of us actually have underlying physical issues & instead of doctors trying to find out what is causing the symptom(s) ~ they hand you AD or benzos. I don't mean to be on a soapbox about it. Anyway, for what it's worth, the doc who is helping me is in another state but does phone consults after testing ect. Hang in there ~ better days are ahead! ????

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know very much about tapering (yet) nor do I have any great advice, but you seem like a very intelligent and wise person. In whatever case you're feeling panicked, I'm willing to bet that you are way stronger than you think. I kind of feel like all of us here are a first wave clan of fighters to this industry and a culture that encourages the suppression of any negative feelings, much less assigning connotations to human emotion at all. As long as you are confident and persevere in what you're doing, you're being a huge inspiration to everyone. 

Rattled,

Thanks so much for your post.  Very sweet and I love your name and what you wrote. 

I confess to reading the part about "intelligent and wise" and feeling compelled to look up your profile.

Then I realized that you are a little over a month older than my oldest daughter and I realized that I'm "over the hill."  :D

I just went mid-post to check your thread and saw that your intro post was not responded to.  On behalf of the board I apologize for that.

Happy to provide you thoughts on your situation as I think your goal of getting off the meds is vary admirable.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy how  do you manage to fit a job in as well?

NZ11,

Thanks as always for jumping in.  Always enjoy your posts and shared interest in the conferences, webinars, etc.

I've been doing what I do for 30 years and I'm really, really good at it by now.  Not bragging -- just am.  I can get what I need to do most of the time done in about 3/4 of the time I have allotted so I use the rest to follow up on this stuff, etc.  I also spend a lot of free time listening and learning.  Keeping the mind active is the only way to fight off the brain fog that comes along with all this nonsense.  Even when it hurts to think I try to force myself to do so.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

It is good to hear from you though I am sorry that you see no improvement since the last taper. Maybe your intended drop will bring some relief! I keep my fingers crossed!

Reading your worries about dizziness I don't think that a serious health problem would take so long to return or to manifest itself. So it would either be progressive or existent all the time. I mean if the benzos or the AD helped in a way then it is probably either really from anxiety or a kind of psychosomatic problem. In any case maybe you now find a good way to cope with it, which - without or with reduced AD - I am sure you will achieve. Reading your posts you seem too clever not to (if you are not driving 16hours nonstop;-) )

All the best,

PB

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't think this kind of feedback was what you expected but I see two replies have just arrived and I believe they will be more spot on :)

Au contraire, Bubble, any response from you is always valued.  I so appreciate your thoughtfulness and knowing your own struggles feel a kindred spirit with you.  Your input is greatly appreciated and self-care is, as you point out, so valuable.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a rough time. Have you ever thought about a naturopath or functional med doctor to help? I'm only asking because the doc I'm working with has helped me so much!! I'm still dealing with some withdrawal symptoms but nothing like I was before. I think that so many of us actually have underlying physical issues & instead of doctors trying to find out what is causing the symptom(s) ~ they hand you AD or benzos. I don't mean to be on a soapbox about it. Anyway, for what it's worth, the doc who is helping me is in another state but does phone consults after testing ect. Hang in there ~ better days are ahead!

Thank you for your thoughts, Bromor.  I have been working with an integrative doctor (who is an MD but has strong leanings in the functional space).  I have had many of the tests that are not routinely given by conventional docs, tests for leaky gut, zinc and copper levels, lyme, etc.  I've had several gene expression tests as well.  Also some detailed inflammation testing (interleukin levels, etc.).  So far nothing that really jumps out that would account for my feeling "off."  I think what I need to do is continue my taper and see where I am 6 months to a year from now.  If I still have the same symptoms of dizziness, etc. I would do further follow up with a functional doc to seek "root cause resolution".  Who are you working with if you would care to share?

Thanks for your thoughts and insight, Bromor. 

I appreciate your input.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy,

It is good to hear from you though I am sorry that you see no improvement since the last taper. Maybe your intended drop will bring some relief! I keep my fingers crossed!

Reading your worries about dizziness I don't think that a serious health problem would take so long to return or to manifest itself. So it would either be progressive or existent all the time. I mean if the benzos or the AD helped in a way then it is probably either really from anxiety or a kind of psychosomatic problem. In any case maybe you now find a good way to cope with it, which - without or with reduced AD - I am sure you will achieve. Reading your posts you seem too clever not to (if you are not driving 16hours nonstop;-) )

All the best,

PB

PB,

Of all my online friends I feel the worst that I've "neglected" you as I've seen you post and know you have been through your own struggles.  Thus, I really appreciate your coming onto my thread to provide me with support when I was looking for some.  I will definitely make it my business to give you my thoughts on your thread as you are a good person and deserve that much in return!

Your points are well-taken.  If this is an anxiety-driven issue it makes sense that it would get worse during withdrawal and your logical analysis about my catastrophizing helps me see it for what it is.  As you know, when you are in the throes of it everything seems like you are falling off a cliff and you can't reason your way back on the ledge.

Hoping for better times for all of us.

Thanks again, PB.

Best,

Andy

Glad to hear you have explored the more "natural" route. Chiropractic is always good too. The doctor I'm working with is Dr. Rob at Alternacare. I know many don't agree with the different testing. Dr. Rob did test my hormones, cortisol & my liver/gut function. I wasn't surprised at the results ~ just further cemented the thought that our gut and brain are truly connected!! And he didn't just shove adrenal glandulars at me ~ which cause me to have panic attacks. Anyway, I can't say enough good about him. I feel I'm finally on the right path to healing ~ just wish I wouldn't have taken a 9 year Zoloft detour! Best to you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you have explored the more "natural" route. Chiropractic is always good too. The doctor I'm working with is Dr. Rob at Alternacare. I know many don't agree with the different testing. Dr. Rob did test my hormones, cortisol & my liver/gut function. I wasn't surprised at the results ~ just further cemented the thought that our gut and brain are truly connected!! And he didn't just shove adrenal glandulars at me ~ which cause me to have panic attacks. Anyway, I can't say enough good about him. I feel I'm finally on the right path to healing ~ just wish I wouldn't have taken a 9 year Zoloft detour! Best to you.

Very interesting website, Bromor.  Looks pretty comprehensive.  Do you feel like you are getting good personal attention?

Thanks,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I posted this in current events  but thought I'd also post here for those who "follow" me:

I found this fascinating and promising regarding neurogenesis. 

http://www.ted.com/t...ells_here_s_how       

One thing I note, however, is the statement that is made which suggests an even greater level of certainty of the mechanism of action of antidepressants on neurogenesis and the positive effect that has in countering depression.   This will become the rallying cry of Big Pharma, i.e., these drugs DO work -- just in a different way than we thought.

Best,

Andy

Yes, very much so. I've had a rough few weeks with gallbladder issues & I have his personal work email. He asked me to email him to follow up how I was responding to the supplement to help my gallbladder. I got a response back within 20 minutes!! And this was in the evening! I'm beyond impressed & yes, it's pricy but IMO so very much worth it. On another note, think of how everyone was told to eat low fat ect for cholesterol & our hearts ~ and that totally backfired!! I'm tired of band aids for a cure.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Bromor! Sounds awesome!

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

The first thought that went through my mind after reading your update was, "Sounds like Andy's been overdoing it a bit lately"

Then I read what Bubble wrote and have to agree, perhaps some slowing down and more self care is in order.

I'm sorry you're struggling now, but from where I'm sitting, its not surprising. Even good stress is stress, our NS doesn't know the difference.

Of course I don't know this, but my guess is your original symptom was caused by stress and that's probably the cause of it now. Only now you have the added stress that you are still healing after your benzo taper and are currently tapering Sertraline. Even though you tapered slowly from K, you were on it a long time and probably should have waited a while before tapering Sertraline.

From what I've learned during my time here, after long term drug use, even after a slow careful taper, the nervous system can remain vulnerable for some time, I've seen 2 years mentioned. This would indicate to me that waiting a while before beginning the next taper might be best, unless life is completely stress free, which it sounds like yours isn't.

Then there is Alto's famous saying about our nervous systems being resilient, but not made of rubber. If Rhi were here, I have a feeling she would also be in favor of more holding and self care.

I'm going to shut up now and just send some hugs.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

The first thought that went through my mind after reading your update was, "Sounds like Andy's been overdoing it a bit lately"

Then I read what Bubble wrote and have to agree, perhaps some slowing down and more self care is in order.

I'm sorry you're struggling now, but from where I'm sitting, its not surprising. Even good stress is stress, our NS doesn't know the difference.

Of course I don't know this, but my guess is your original symptom was caused by stress and that's probably the cause of it now. Only now you have the added stress that you are still healing after your benzo taper and are currently tapering Sertraline. Even though you tapered slowly from K, you were on it a long time and probably should have waited a while before tapering Sertraline.

From what I've learned during my time here, after long term drug use, even after a slow careful taper, the nervous system can remain vulnerable for some time, I've seen 2 years mentioned. This would indicate to me that waiting a while before beginning the next taper might be best, unless life is completely stress free, which it sounds like yours isn't.

Then there is Alto's famous saying about our nervous systems being resilient, but not made of rubber. If Rhi were here, I have a feeling she would also be in favor of more holding and self care.

I'm going to shut up now and just send some hugs.

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Petu.

Had a rough night of anxiety and dizziness last night which was enough to convince me you all suggesting holding off on the taper resumption are wise. I think the "overdoing it" characterization is fair. It's hard to balance care for self with care for others but I need to do a better job.

I definitely wish I had taken time between my benzo taper and my SSRI taper but who knew? I had yet to find SA.

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm pleased to hear you've rethunk it Andy.

I was worried when I saw " I think what I need to do is continue my taper and see where I am 6 months to a year from now."

If the dizziness is w/d related it should abate in the next months. The risk of ploughing on reducing is that a flood of worse symptoms could be triggered.

Bear in mind that you have a far more difficult lifestyle than many of us. Working full time as a lawyer

is taxing even for "well" people. Throw the occasional 16 hour drive on top of that and it's bound to take it's toll.

To compare , whilst I seem to be doing very well on many levels , if I go out for 3 hours , say to the park then grocery shopping , I can hardly move for the next 2 days !! My thinking is foggy , my body feels like lead , and it's all I can do to eat well and sleep on and off all day.

So be gentle on yourself Andy.

My new phrase for the week: this is a marathon , not a sprint.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm pleased to hear you've rethunk it Andy.I was worried when I saw " I think what I need to do is continue my taper and see where I am 6 months to a year from now."If the dizziness is w/d related it should abate in the next months. The risk of ploughing on reducing is that a flood of worse symptoms could be triggered.Bear in mind that you have a far more difficult lifestyle than many of us. Working full time as a lawyeris taxing even for "well" people. Throw the occasional 16 hour drive on top of that and it's bound to take it's toll.To compare , whilst I seem to be doing very well on many levels , if I go out for 3 hours , say to the park then grocery shopping , I can hardly move for the next 2 days !! My thinking is foggy , my body feels like lead , and it's all I can do to eat well and sleep on and off all day.So be gentle on yourself Andy.My new phrase for the week: this is a marathon , not a sprint. :)

A quote I use often Fresh.

Thanks as always for your friendship and support.

Andy

Hi Andy,

You have been great support to me I will try to give my support as well.

I had health anxiety before i took ad, and now I don't because maybe I am so bad many days that I don't care.

Anxiety manifests itself in health anxiety, it can be different manifestation for everyone.

Try to think that it is not health worry but a symptom of anxiety itself. Also, what does being afraid of being sick mean to you? Early death? Death in general? Have inability to do certain things in life? Not being there for your kids? Perhaps if you narrow down what exactly you fear you can handle exactly that. It is not the illness you fear.

I think I know why I ended up so bad that i went for a med but once so far down it was very hard for me to handle life.

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

Hi Andy. Just wanted to see how you were feeling. Has the dizziness gotten better?