tanit

Permanent side effects of SSRI?

clearday

Well, these drugs certainly are powerful, no doubt about that. And doctors have certainly ignored our cries for help. And they continue to be in denial about the existence of protracted SSRI syndrome. If I could do one thing over in life, it would be to have never taken these SSRIs which have turned out to be toxic for me, causing me difficult long-term problems. 

Many people swear by these SSRI drugs. They definitely have helped thousands of mentally ill people to live a tolerable life compare to life without these drugs. And that is why they are so popular. And that is one reason why psychiatrists think these drugs are so great. But they overlook the harm that these drugs are causing so many of us, which we struggle so long with to heal from.

Regarding agnosia - yes, it is possible that there are people who feel that overall they have no harmful changes from years of SSRI use, but are at a lower level of functioning they are not aware of due to the effects of SSRIs. But for me, I'm very self-aware and would know even tiny differences between how I felt  before and after SSRI use. It's hard for me to imagine that so many people could walk around so clueless as to changes in how they feel over time. And the whole picture is muddied by the fact that our level of function slowly diminishes over time anyway due to aging and the cumulative effects of a lifetime of stress and use of alcohol and other drugs. So how do we know what agent took the toll on us. 

And also, there are people who say they feel better after taking years of SSRIs, post use. Those people give some doctors cause to say that yes, these drugs cause permanent change, and change for the better, that these drugs may "cure" some symptoms. I'm just not going along with that. People often naturally recover from bouts of depression and anxiety, I would be very skeptical of someone asserting that these drugs actually cause permanent change for the better.  

Thanks btdt - great to see someone looking in to this. The more the public becomes aware of the potential for harm that SSRIs pose, the better!

btdt

"Many people swear by these SSRI drugs. They definitely have helped thousands of mentally ill people to live a tolerable life compare to life without these drugs. And that is why they are so popular"

Yes I know I use to be one of those people who "swore" by the drugs... after I had a severe reaction to prozac I never returned to baseline.. and the drugs helped me.. sleep... not have as much pain ect. 

I was put on prozac or two wks to treat nerve pain in my leg I have had mental health issues ever since a bad reaction to it.  Because of me and my advocating Antidepressant use many of my family member are not addicted to these drugs and do not hear a word I say about them now.. as they are now swearing by them. 

These drugs change how we think... so do a lot of illegal drugs I am sure many alcoholics and crack heads swear by their drugs too. 

jthebrave

Some things may be permanent but  in my case I took prozac for 10 years. I was off of it for 4 years with absolutely no problems, nothing permanent that I could detect. Years later my original problem did relapse. Ignorantly I thought prozac may help again but I had a severe adverse reaction. I tried a couple of other SSRIs but my brain rejected all of  them.

I do believe something was permanentely changed because my brain violently reacted to the SSRI. However, I don't think that whatever was changed permanently makes me feel any different. Psychologically I recovered 100% from the prozac but I think something changed since I cannot take an SSRI again.

That's basically what happened to me. After being on meds for 13 years and tolerating them very well, I just can't take them anymore at this time. Why the hell is this? Every time I try to reinstate I feel like a have serotonin syndrome...heart racing, head pressure, difficulty breathing, and other symptoms that are not in my head...otherwise I wouldn't have been able to take the drugs for 13 years in the FIRST DAMN PLACE!!!!!

Theon

Is prozac the only AD that has been shown to cause these permanent changes in the brain? What about the other ADs and the rest of drugs?,

Or is prozac the only one that has been researched?. I hope for the sake of my brain that prozac does not end up being the worst of all ADs...

Marta

I think in a different way all Ads cause permanent changes in the brain...I have hope that in 30 years "good" medicine will understand what's really going on in our brain....so you are in good company

Altostrata

This is a concern that comes up over and over. If SSRIs permanently damaged the brain or nervous system, there would be no reason to come off them, and there would be no reason for this site.

The the brain and nervous system are constantly changing. If your brain and nervous system changed to accommodate the effects of the drugs, they can change again.

See

neuroplasticity = hope

Neuroplasticity - Norman Doidge MD Interview

Self-directed Neuroplasticity

Neuroplasticity, slow taper and recovery

Brain remodeling

“I wrote a new story for my nervous system” — neurosculpting - neuroplasticity....

The IT GETS BETTER SERIES

The Heart-Brain Connection: The Neuroscience of Social, Emotional Learning...

Andrews, 2012 Primum non nocere: an evolutionary analysis...

Marta

Thanks a lot Altostrata! 

NoMeaning25

Alto, i agree and accept, BUT

If these drugs dont do permanent damage, WHY am i not getting better at all at 37 months off.

I feel in my heart i will never get better. 37 months is too long with barely no improvements.

I am 26 years old. YOUNG!

antidepressantsNoMore

I think most times, people make a full recovery. It just can take years.

NoMeaning25

MOST times.

There are the very few rare exceptions and you are looking at one.

dalsaan

Nomeaning you seem determined to be permanently damaged. Nothing we say can change that, nor will anything that is posted on the site help you in that context.

I'm very sure you system has the capacity to heal given the right conditions. I'm just as certain that your beliefs and their effects on your nervous system are not conducive to healing.

I don't say that out of a lack of compassion. I say that out of devastation that you are undermining your healing potential to such as extent

Dalsaan

NoMeaning25

There are many people that are still very ill at 10 - 12 years off.

What is the definition of permanent then?

Im not negative. Im just stating that there are exceptions. No point in denying this. There are the very rare few people who are left disabled by this and there is no need for anyone to ignore this.

Im just someone suffering for 3 years straight with no improvement in sight. What conclusion am i supposed to come accross?

dalsaan

My definition of permanent is 'forever more'.   My question to you is what have the people who are still very ill over 10-12 years done in regard to their healing?   Monica at beyond meds argues that everything that you do matters for your health and prospects of recovering.   I would agree, it takes 100 little things.  That's the reason why it is important not to be fatalism and construct protracted withdrawal as permanent because when you do you stop looking for your 100 little things.

Dalsaan

NoMeaning25

Monica tapered off her drugs. To me that is a big difference to cold tukey and adverse reactions. I do not know what they have done to promote healing.

Sometimes one is just too sick to do anything. Even if its just something small like taking a walk.

Yes there is no point on dwelling on the idea that this is permanent, but when you have been suffering so severely for so long you kind of give up being positive and hopeful. I am too weak and severely affected to even attempt anything. I cannot do yoga, i cannot go for short walks. For a 26 year old thats devastating as it is.

It might be that the trauma ive had to deal with had a big impact. Im suffering from CPTSD and my outlook in life isnt too great atm.

antidepressantsNoMore

Monica tapered off her drugs. To me that is a big difference to cold tukey and adverse reactions. I do not know what they have done to promote healing.

Sometimes one is just too sick to do anything. Even if its just something small like taking a walk.

Yes there is no point on dwelling on the idea that this is permanent, but when you have been suffering so severely for so long you kind of give up being positive and hopeful. I am too weak and severely affected to even attempt anything. I cannot do yoga, i cannot go for short walks. For a 26 year old thats devastating as it is.

It might be that the trauma ive had to deal with had a big impact. Im suffering from CPTSD and my outlook in life isnt too great atm.

Don't give up hope. What about taking magnesium?

btdt

Iam not scared .I accepted long ago the fact that I will have to live with some damage .

I simply don`t understand  people reaction here .

It is like they are completely in denial that there will be some changes that are irreversible(may be in few years thanks to medical progress)and that will need people engagement to find a solution. 

They may improve(some will FEEL like they were before ) but to say that everybody will  be 100% like before is a pure blatant lie.

I guess most need some lies to keep going but the future generation owes us the truth to not make our mistakes .

May be we need to stop being egoistic and self-centred and just expose those medications for what they truly are :poisons 

Long-term effects of antidepressants

Antidepressants have been shown to produce long-term, and in some cases, irreversible chemical and structural changes to the body and brain.

The administration of Prozac and Paxil raises cortisol levels in human subjects (Jackson 2005, p.90). Given the fact that elevated cortisol levels are associated with depression, weight gain, immune dysfunction, and memory problems, the possibility that antidepressants may contribute to prolonged elevations in cortisol is alarming to say the least.

In a study designed to investigate the anatomic effects of serotonergenic compounds, researchers at Thomas Jefferson University found that high-dose, short-term exposure to SSRIs in rats was sufficient to produce swelling and kinking in the serotonin nerve fibers (Kalia 2000). Research performed by a different group of investigators showed that antidepressants can kill neuronsand cause structural changes similar to those observed in Parkinson’s in rodents.

I want to emphasize that what I’ve covered here is only the beginning of the story when it comes to the adverse effects of antidepressants. There are volumes of published research and many books which present this information with much more detail. I recommend Peter Breggin’s landmark “Brain Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry” and Grace Jackson’s “Rethinking Psychiatric Drugs” as resources if you are interested in pursuing this further.

I tried to read those books from Breggin and Jackson I had them for a time but could not think well enough to read them.  So here we are a few years later and somebody else has chewed if up for us and spit it back out.  

I for one respect Tanit's sensibilities tho I know it may be damaging for those in early wd who are struggling hard we must have room for the facts too.  Future generations..... !?

Check the dates of the studies I noticed 2000 and 2005.... and I wonder other to come after us will look at dates... our dates. 

2000 was the year I started Effexor had I known the truth I would not have taken it and may have saved myself from if not forever damage 10 years of wd.... 

2005 I was in tolerance and had no clue what was wrong with me... got sicker and sicker till I and my life completely collapsed and I lost it all have not recovered from any of it yet not financially sexually health ...not yet. 

What we those future people think when they read out posts ... they will know we know the damage of the drugs.. and they will come to learn how very powerless we are to change any of it ... or if we are the change is so slow this next generation will not see any benefit from our damage...

Perspective... do I have any... maybe not but this pace is way to slow... 

https://chriskresser.com/the-dark-side-of-antidepressants/

Zeipii
On 08/02/2015 at 10:04 PM, tanit said:

Iam not scared .I accepted long ago the fact that I will have to live with some damage .

I simply don`t understand  people reaction here .

It is like they are completely in denial that there will be some changes that are irreversible(may be in few years thanks to medical progress)and that will need people engagement to find a solution. 

They may improve(some will FEEL like they were before ) but to say that everybody will  be 100% like before is a pure blatant lie.

I guess most need some lies to keep going but the future generation owes us the truth to not make our mistakes .

May be we need to stop being egoistic and self-centred and just expose those medications for what they truly are :poisons 

fully agree, poisons