Healing

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Jennifer78   
Jennifer78

I'm co confused about windows and waves. Are windows when you feel healed or when symptoms aren't as bad as the waves? I'm trying to figure out if I've experienced any windows. I know exactly what the waves are, just curious about the definition of windows. I have not experienced a time yet when I feel healed but I've had a few short experiences when the symptoms aren't as bad as they normally are. I might have already asked about this but my memory is awful. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Nena59   
Nena59

Jennifer,

Windows happen when you feel better for a time...almost back to normal. I have a hard time with them sometimes, I'm afraid they will go away! Waves are 2/3 of my day lately. I feel anxious sometimes, depressed sometimes, low energy, sad :(. I am just so tired of this! I read the success stories when i get too down. You will get better! Your brain is healing right now!

Nena

miT   
miT

Learning how to protect your nervous system from abrasive people is a good skill to learn and will serve you well in the long run.Being pushed to take care of ourselves is, I guess you could say, one of the benefits of this awful condition.

You hit the nail on the head there. We just have no other option than to take matters in our own hands. After all the drug ain't doing it anymore.

I definitely escaped my imagined disney-like world by direct confrontation with my suffering. The only problem is that I'm so sensitive in this wd process that I tend to overreact or overprotect. In some situations when I perhaps mistakenly feel offended I'm one of these abrasive people towards others, and that's not who I want to be. That knife between my teeth is really wearing me out.

But I get better at distrusting my own mind's interpretations. Unfortunately it's only after creating a fire that I find the waterhose.

powerback   
powerback
On 2017-5-29 at 7:50 PM, miT said:

You hit the nail on the head there. We just have no other option than to take matters in our own hands. After all the drug ain't doing it anymore.

I definitely escaped my imagined disney-like world by direct confrontation with my suffering. The only problem is that I'm so sensitive in this wd process that I tend to overreact or overprotect. In some situations when I perhaps mistakenly feel offended I'm one of these abrasive people towards others, and that's not who I want to be. That knife between my teeth is really wearing me out.

But I get better at distrusting my own mind's interpretations. Unfortunately it's only after creating a fire that I find the waterhose.

This is so true for myself also mit I'm getting much better at looking out for the demon in my head

btdt   
btdt

I have come to learn that in part some of these bad moods ect call them what you want demond in your head ect melt downs... for me are caused by sensitivities to things in the environment.  I would never have suspected such a thing and would never have guessed that the same things that can put me in bed tired could also cause an extreme mood change cognitive issues ect ect ect....

if you know me you know I have been limping along for 10 years and suffering drug reactions food intolerances since going cold turkey... doctor assisted... long and old story...

for years I would have blood pressure spikes ... swollen red eyes .... dizzy spells... so many things... 

At one point during this process I avoided having a shower as I lost my stability in the shower yet I could not join the dots I just went backwards in  my healing after a shower... I was dirty... I thought it was the water the heat the cold the wet... everything the exertion on my nervous system by temp changes... so many things just plain old broken by wd... 

It was the saop... the chlorine in the water.... who knows what else.  

I was reacting badly to soap and did not figure it out until I got really really sick... I have since been diagnosed with multiple chemical sensitivity and have come to know more. 

I have had a melt down mentally emotionally from febreeze... wood being cut for construction... perfume... you name it the list seems to be endless. 

Avoiding these things is no easy task but is supposedly part of how one could heal from this curse. 

I have learned I can have a horrid reaction to a chemical that I cannot smell... scent free products for me are still dangerous. 

Difficult as it may be to sort out this is one idea I bet nobody has thought of.... before you have a melt down what did you eat... what was in your air.. were pesticides sprayed in your area?  

Putting a carbon filter in your home and finding products that don't set you off could make a big difference and may actually help your healing.  

For me I can only use nature clean soap and shampoo (unscented)... no I have not stock in the company and buy it at Loblaws no stock

there either...no fabtic softener or bleach...no tooth paste no deoderant... the list in endless of things I can't use or be around. 

If I am around a person who just had their hair dyed I will get sick... have a melt down... ect the list of types of reactions is almost as endless.... there is a thread on here about this if you want to read more.

changing or stopping products could make a difference in your healing....

one of these threads I can't recall which 

Hypersensitivity ... MCS video - In the media - Surviving Antidepressants

survivingantidepressants.org › Current events › In the media
Jun 9, 2015 - your 18 x more likely to have MCS .... http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/5/971.full .... http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/bastienmcs.html ...

TILT Includes fibro and multiple chemical sensitivity - In the media ...

Feb 16, 2016 - 22 posts - ‎3 authors
So fibro pain mood for me was mostly pain pain pain... mcs... well self ...... Published: August 13, 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10...al.pone.0073708.

Chemical Sensitivity - Surviving Antidepressants

survivingantidepressants.org › Support › Symptoms and self-care
Aug 19, 2013 - 33 posts - ‎17 authors
http://www.ewg.org/g...e=1&per_page=15 ... Some of us have this MCS I found this bit defining and describing what is going down when we are ...

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity - In the ...

Apr 18, 2014 - Republished text on Healthrising [dot] org: Limbic Kindling ..... http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11355-tilt-includes-fibro- ... Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) is a Limbic System condition brought on by .

Pepita   
Pepita

wooooow that sounds horrendous! And since you've adapdet your lifestyle as far as possible to all these allergy- demands ... you are significantly feeling better?

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post

Mourad   
Mourad
On 8/11/2016 at 8:12 PM, RockSie said:

Yes zando. There was a time where my windows and waves switched per minute.

This is good to hear. I cycle up and down so quickly and erratically, it's hard to distinguish between windows and waves. I can feel perfectly okay one minute, then drown the next. Symptoms move in and out, increase and decrease. Sometimes it's one day up, the next day down. It's so exhausting. 

Pepita   
Pepita

Hi everyone:) Recently I found a very representative sketch of the WD path to recovery;) Hope it makes you smile as well

2017-06-06-PHOTO-00000315.jpg

Happy2Heal   
Happy2Heal

hahaha yes that's what it's like!!!

it sucks not being able to plan but then, in regular non WD life, this can be true a lot of the time as well

thanks for posting that!

Gussy   
Gussy

How many of you fear a wave ending? Man i do.

Pepita   
Pepita

hmmmm medium? of course I don't want a window to end but as I've experienced a few windows/waves by now I also know that the waves come to an end... but yes, I'd rather feel good than miserable

Kittygiggles   
Kittygiggles

I get that. Waves can have the appearance of being predictable and consistent, which is reassuring. When we start to enter a window it can be hard to trust it as they so often are shorter than waves, or in some cases so overwhelming as to be frightening. I realize that one of my biggest problems is having a fear of transitions. Maybe that's a common them in withdrawal for a subset of sufferers. Perhaps it's the hallmark of anxious people, to be more troubled by the transition from one to the other, in any direction, and to find any change difficult. 

I am in a window right now and I can feel the urge to just buy into denial and believe that this time the window is forever and I won't ever go through a bad wave again, only small, mild ones. Accepting that a wave will happen again is what gives me peace of mind, just as I must also accept that windows will happen to. Beyond that is the fact that for many people the cycle simply ends: we heal and can probably afford to forget all this every happened! :P

Gussy   
Gussy

I'm so sorry, stupid me i meant to say "fear a window ending".

Mourad   
Mourad

Thanks, Kittygiggles, for your wonderful insight. I think you're exactly right. The waves are one thing, the transitions quite another. The cycle from window to wave is just heartbreaking.

But my sense is that sometimes the windows are almost too good to be true. Sometimes they don't even feel like normal life, but as a kind of enhanced existence, as wondrous, magical life. Maybe that's simply because of sheer relief, but maybe there's something unreal about some windows as well. Perhaps the point is not so much that the waves in time  disappear to make way for one ongoing window, but rather that the waves and windows sort of integrate into regular imperfect existence. 

Pepita   
Pepita
2 minutes ago, Mourad said:

Thanks, Kittygiggles, for your wonderful insight. I think you're exactly right. The waves are one thing, the transitions quite another. The cycle from window to wave is just heartbreaking.

But my sense is that sometimes the windows are almost too good to be true. Sometimes they don't even feel like normal life, but as a kind of enhanced existence, as wondrous, magical life. Maybe that's simply because of sheer relief, but maybe there's something unreal about some windows as well. Perhaps the point is not so much that the waves in time  disappear to make way for one ongoing window, but rather that the waves and windows sort of integrate into regular imperfect existence. 

I think that´s really right on point! I think so too, real life is a kind of balance between windows and waves and it will all even out in time!

Bridgetini   
Bridgetini

Thanks for all the great help here explaining about windows and waves. Alongside withdrawal from Mirt and contraceptives, I had gynaecological surgery 4 weeks ago. I have to remember to pace myself physically, emotionally, mentally. 

I have bookmarked this thread on my phone's home screen and put two new wallpapers on it to remind me: a Hokusai Japanese wave print and a Tiffany stained glass window. _20170801_094817.JPG.3f477e0c10e095dc22f76caca10c990d.JPG

Tsunami_by_hokusai_19th_century.jpg

RainbowDbc   
RainbowDbc

This is a very interesting and new way to appreciate what I go through. I am new at tapering..my last tapers were simply cold turkeys I had no idea what I was doing. Now that I have just one pill of lithium there have been moments where I feel lucid and "better" or symptom free...I guess these are windows. But most of the time it's expected to have waves or unexpected reactions. Any doctor would claim Im being bipolar but knowing that this will fade is very uplifting to know. Im wondering if once I am off all drugs for good how much time would it be to be completely normal? Will excercise and binging on healthy food be a plus that accelerates healing?  Also the neurotoxicity of lithium caused a constant emotionless perception pf life and I get excited just by thinking about how life would be once I started having lapses of emotion....this is a sign of break through for me. 

Cheeky   
Cheeky

Can I ask that when tapering how do you know to do your next drop in dose if your still getting windows and waves of withdrawal from your last drop. ?

Nena59   
Nena59

Hi Cheeky,

I didn't taper properly. I didn't see this site until I was off of the drugs for a long time. I could have reinstated, but I didn't want to. My doctor advised a taper that was too quick and I suffered. Sorry I can't be more helpful. After a year, I am better...not back to normal though.

We have to just stay strong and know that we will get better. You will! Keep reading this site!

Nena

RachelSusan   
RachelSusan

Hi Cheeky,

This is my opinion only. I will not move on to another taper until I am not getting any waves.  It has to be all windows before I move on.  But that is based on my history and what I have learned works for me. I up-dosed after a C.T.  and never want to go through that again. I am now doing a cautious taper.  I am sure others on the site have different experiences.

RS