Sujema: Effexor withdrawal, 10 days, multiple symptoms, suicidal thoughts.

Sujema

Symptoms and coping abilities of others withdrawing from Effexor.

post-4364-0-26505000-1423478655_thumb.jpg

I started Lexapro 2013 30? mg

Changed to Effexor 75 mg Jan 2014

Started tapering. 1st Dec 2014 -

75mg down to 37.5 in 1st month.

18.7 mg to 9 mg between 1st jan- 1st feb.

Discontinued 1st Feb- 27th Feb

Have experienced, daily, vertigo, disassociation, chronic fatigue, insomnia,

Pins and needles down right side head and intense despair.

Reinstated 4 beads Effexor 28th Feb 15'

Side affects of withdrawal not manageable particularly

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema, there are some of us here who are tapering effexor, it is a nightmare drug to get away from! I tapered too fast and suffered withdrawal so reinstated then restarted my taper. I am now almost off and looking forward to being completely free of it. 

What is your experience? Did you taper or quit cold turkey? Reinstatement is the only way to stop the withdrawal symptoms, then once stable can start a slow safe taper. No-one ever wants to reinstate, ever..... but it is better than suffering the nightmare of withdrawal!  Here is a topic on reinstating to stabilise. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

About withdrawal syndrome http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

You are among friends here, we all have suffered in some way from withdrawal, some more than others and we know how devastating it can be.   

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi MummaP ,

Thanks for your reply. It makes such a difference talking to others in the same Effexor boat!

I started on 75mg just over a year ago, reduced to 37mg after bad side effects. I made the decision to come off this 'poison' due to the chronic fatigue, gastritis and generally felt it was numbing me to life.

I started tapering 2 months ago, from 37 mg to 18.5. mg, to 9.7, and made the leep to zero 10 days ago.

Since you are still tapering, I don't want to burst your bubble of hope, for a better experience post Effexor.

Perhaps I shouldn't recount my present experience, since we are all biochemically different, and yours may, hopefully, bring you better results.

Sujema X

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi   Sujema ,     welcome.     That's a super-quick taper you've just done . . .   how are you doing?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

You can share your experience here Sujema, my bubble will not be burst! I have been taking effexor for 13 years now, and tried several times to quit, each time had the nightmare of withdrawal and had to go back on again. It is one of the hardest to get away from without withdrawal, and I have had my share of that over the years! I tapered for around a year, I thought I was tapering very slowly but I still had withdrawal because it was still too fast, even though I thought it was very slow!  Once again I was plunged into withdrawal so I reinstated at the 5 beads I was on when I quit.  Then held for several months before starting to taper again. Now I am fine and have just one bead from the capsule to go. That bead gets smaller and when the tiniest one has gone then I am done. We have others who have also managed to taper and are off effexor now, it can be done, but needs lots of patience. 

We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks and that can take years but it is much better than the fast tapers that I have tried previously. You tapered very fast but did what you thought was best, and doctors really don't know anything about tapering off these drugs. They usually advise very fast tapering by skipping doses and quitting in just a few weeks, then tell patients that they need the drug for life to control the mental illness it was prescribed for  :angry: .

It is early days for you and you can reinstate if you wish, it doesn't need to be the full dose, often just 1-5 mg can do the trick and halt the withdrawal. The side effects are dose related and are less at lower doses. I was housebound and at one time was bed bound due to the side effects of this poison. I also dropped from 75 to 37.5 because of the side effects, and that is why I also decided to taper off, and chose a slow taper after a few previous cold turkey or very fast tapers over the years. I didn't know about the 10% at the time so even the slow taper was not slow enough and I wish I had seen this site before I started that taper. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello Fresh,

Thank you so much for your reply . It is so good to communicate with others who are having similar experience.

I was prescribed SNRIs for Major Depression Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

After just over 1 year ago I started on 75mg, I began tapering 2 months ago. Starting with 37.5, to 18.7 then 9, and zero 10 days ago.

It may seem like a rapid taper, but I was guided by information I'd read.

Nevertheless it's done. I have no intention of revisiting that poison, after the Chronic Fatigue, stomach ulcer, and a worsening of my original symptoms , due to the drug, to the point where the Psych was upping the ante, to Bi Polar med, which I know I don't have.(or didn't have).

Last 10 days I have had constant imbalance, insomnia, pins and needles down the side of my face, which I can cope with , but it's the total despair, gut wrenching sadness and suicidal thoughts that are harder to bear.

I know we are all biochemically different , and it's early day, but to hear others recount protracted symptoms, sometimes years, is so disheartening.

I don't drink, or smoke and have an incredibly healthy diet. Take fish oil. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

I also have Thyroid disease, (Autoimmune ), which affects hormone production, like serotonin .

I know of neuro plasticity, and meditation,....,it's the lack of impetuous to do it.....when you just want to hit your head hard against the wall.

Depression/dispair.

I have no intention of revisiting that poison, after the Chronic Fatigue, stomach ulcer, and a worsening of my original symptoms , due to the drug

Last 10 days I have had constant imbalance, insomnia, pins and needles down the side of my face, which I can cope with , but it's the total despair, gut wrenching sadness and suicidal thoughts that are harder to bear.

to hear others recount protracted symptoms, sometimes years, is so disheartening.

Hi Sujema,

It's great that you found this blog so that you know what is causing your symptoms - it is SNRI Withdrawal -

Yes, the protracted WD is hard to deal with, but many of us have dealt with it for years and came out the other end in good shape.

You had the depression before the drug, and so did I, so while SNRI WD may cause depression, we'll have to do our best to deal with that in other ways since these drugs just give us more problems.

A friend of mine survived two major depressions that lasted over six months each time. And each time, the depression ran its course and he never used SSRIs to get through it. Although the doctors tried pushing SSRIs on him, he declined. He's doing fine these days. I wish I had done what he did! But that's just him, everyone is different.

Do what you have to do to survive and get through this. 

Keep coming back here for feedback as things get better or worse for you. 

I don't blame you for not wanting to go back on these poisons. I'm off Lexapro for one year, and I am so happy to be off it!

I still deal with waves of symptoms but slow and steady progress overall. I've had many great days since I quit the drug, but also some challenging WD symptoms.

Hang in there - 

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow ,     sorry it's hit you this quickly.    A lot of people don't start to get these effects for a month or longer.     For some , they continue to get more and more intense for 9 to 12 months.     So it's a very individual thing.

There's thread on taking  magnesium , which this site advocates.

There's also a thread on Reinstating to Halt Withdrawal Symptoms  that's worth reading.   You need to be as informed about options as possible at this time.  At only 10 days out you have a window where reinstating a small amount may stop the W/D symptoms.

Good to have you here   :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank all you kind souls, ('Clearday' and 'Fresh' most recent), for your helpful input. One thing I'm having coming to terms with, is that if the Depression and despair I've experienced takes me to the point again where I may need professional help, (Hospital), I am apprehensive they will force the SNRIs on me again.

I guess I am new to Withdrawal syndrome, and I am angry that so many people are losing the fight, because " you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't " type of situation.

Why were we not warned by those who are suppose to uphold the Medico's vow, 'first do no harm'!

There is enough proof out there. It is criminal negligence!!!

I am adamant that I want to give it my best shot to recover from this insidious drug.

I am high risk for stroke, and further erosion of stomach lining, so to continue is not an option.

My heart goes out to those of you who have had years of these symptoms.

You are a courageous bunch of people.

I hope I can stay on this rudderless boat. Im sorry if I sound defeatist, I have been struggling with depression for 15 years or more, and the very thing that was suppose to help, is adding fuel to the fire.

Hoping some of your positive stories will give me some hope.

Depression/dispair.

Thank all you kind souls, ('Clearday' and 'Fresh' most recent), for your helpful input. One thing I'm having coming to terms with, is that if the Depression and despair I've experienced takes me to the point again where I may need professional help, (Hospital), I am apprehensive they will force the SNRIs on me again.

I guess I am new to Withdrawal syndrome, and I am angry that so many people are losing the fight, because " you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't " type of situation.

Why were we not warned by those who are suppose to uphold the Medico's vow, 'first do no harm'!

There is enough proof out there. It is criminal negligence!!!

I am adamant that I want to give it my best shot to recover from this insidious drug.

I am high risk for stroke, and further erosion of stomach lining, so to continue is not an option.

My heart goes out to those of you who have had years of these symptoms.

You are a courageous bunch of people.

I hope I can stay on this rudderless boat. Im sorry if I sound defeatist, I have been struggling with depression for 15 years or more, and the very thing that was suppose to help, is adding fuel to the fire.

Hoping some of your positive stories will give me some hope.

Amen to what you said, sadly it is all true, wish it wasn't  - 

These meds do help a lot of people, and many don't get hit badly with side effects or protracted WD -

But when things go wrong with these meds, it's a nightmare, and all of us here are working through it -

And so many more out there, clueless as to why they are suffering, being put back on the meds, riding the SSRI Merry-Go-Round -

This is the current state of modern psychiatry. 

In the 50's it was thalidomide babies and lobotomies. These days, it is us.

When will they stop rampantly "doing more harm" ???

Why are we stuck with finding diagnoses and solutions with strangers on the Internet?

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

I know you don't want to put that poison in your body again, but we find that people with histories like yours do not do well with the kind of sudden fast taper and stopping at a relatively high dose that you have done. Since you are struggling at 10 days out, you are not likely to do well. 

We find that a very small reinstatement of just a few milligrams of the drug can "put a floor under" the nervous system's withdrawal freefall and give a person enough improvement that they can get through that withdrawal period.  The dose is so low it doesn't produce the poisonous effects that a higher dose gives, but these drugs are so powerful that even that low dose has enough effect that it can steady your brain and help you stabilize.

Please allow yourself to consider this possibility.  It's early enough days that you have the choice. I've met hundreds of people who wish they had known this was an option to avoid the hell they ended up going through, sometimes for years. Not to say that's what you're in for necessarily, but it's obvious you're not going to be one of the lucky folks who can come right off these drugs easily, and the sooner you do give yourself that bit of help, the better.

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I checked out the Calming and Acceptance video, and I believe this will help me to 'not get in my own way' of my healing through heightened anxiety, when the symptoms hit HARD.

Having read your posts, I know many of you share the despondency and fear for the future. Please take the time to look at this video.

Depression/dispair.

Sujema,

In the Introductions forum it is one topic to a person, all of your comments, updates and questions can be posted here in your topic. I moved the above post here.

Please place a brief drug history in a signature that will attach itself to all of your posts. The instructions are in my signature which follows this post. That way, wherever you post on the site people will know a bit about where you are coming from in your journey.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

After just over 1 year ago I started on 75mg, I began tapering 2 months ago. Starting with 37.5, to 18.7 then 9, and zero 10 days ago.

It may seem like a rapid taper, but I was guided by information I'd read.

Nevertheless it's done. I have no intention of revisiting that poison, after the Chronic Fatigue, stomach ulcer

IMO, you basically did a cold turkey. Going from 75 to zero in two months, your body still thinks it needs 75 mg to function, IMO.

I cold turkeyed twice because I didn't know any better. If I could do it over, I would have done a long, slow taper as recommended on this forum.

For example, once upon a time, I cold turkeyed off six years of Prozac. I was fine for four months and then suddenly my nervous system collapsed one night. And I was sick for years after that. I had abruptly removed the Prozac support pillars, and my body held strong for four months until it couldn't take it anymore, and the dam broke. That's just my experience.

So all I can say is, if you start to feel some bad things developing, you may want to reconsider the tapering advice from those on here with experience.

It's your journey. At least you know your options and what may happen. It took me eleven years to finally figure out what happened to me. At least you won't be in the dark.

24 months SSRI-free  

HELP!!Can anyone help?.....Staff?

1. I tapered over 2 months 75mg - 0 Effexor. Last capsule 2 weeks ago.

My capsules are tiny/minuscule beads. Not coping. Waves of fear, fatigue, helplessness.

2. Is it too late to reinstate?

3. How do you overcome the crippling fear of reinstating? It's like knowingly boarding a plane you know is going to crash. Sound drastic??? Believe me , the fear is genuine.

Your help would be very appreciated.

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema  ,    is it getting worse?   You sound scared.

It isn't too late to reinstate.   Read the section on Reinstating to stop withdrawal symptoms.

I think  (from memory)  that you might try 4 or 5 beads as a test dose.   If you have a bad reaction , it will come quickly and you'll feel different , more unpleasant things.

If it gives SOME symptom relief , then you're on the right track.     I'm not that familiar with all the ins and outs ,  but I'm sure one of the mods can advise.

Your fear of reinstating is very valid , and you're only considering it because of the other fears about what might happen if you DON'T do it.  Better for you (in my opinion) if you halt the withdrawal before it picks up more momentum.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Sujema.

Yes, you might open one of your capsules and take 5 beads as Fresh suggested. If this helps, you could stay on it for a month or more and then taper.

If you try this, please let us know how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for replies. When is the cutoff point where it too late to reinstate?

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

There's no set cut-off point.    Advice here is based on technical information available and anecdotal evidence from thousands.

In "Symptoms and Self-Care" ,  read the thread on About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Stop W/D symptoms.

Alto writes:   Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of WD symptoms.

The more time that passes , the less likely it is to work.  The length of this window of opportunity varies according to the individual.

Sometimes people can reinstate successfully months after quitting.  Others cannot.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Mentor

Try reinstating, give it a go......   I wish I had known, I gave up my Efexor, after a short taper, it was a disaster.    

Please let us know each day, how you are.  

Do you still have tablets left?

It seems to me, reading all the stories on this site, that it is a much lighter landing reinstating a half dose, or such, than CT (I would call yours CT)...  We all suffer ..... but make the suffering less, reduce slowly as recommended.

I found this site too late.  

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Thank you Ang- Fresh and Altostrata, for your replies. It helps to make informed decisions.

ANG,

Can you tell me your story of your rapid taper with Effexor, and the symptoms you experienced?

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sujema , have you looked at ang's thread?   It may answer your questions before ang can respond.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Sujema , have you looked at ang's thread? It may answer your questions before ang can respond.

Depression/dispair.

Thanks Fresh,

I am far from computer literate, books and paints are my thing,.....how do I find a members 'thread' on this site?

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Go to "Introductions" , and put the screen name into the box at the top SEARCH.   You'll find all posts and/or topics. :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sujema, I am sorry that you are still suffering but sadly that is common after cold turkey or tapering effexor too fast. I quit too soon after what I thought was a slow taper, suffered withdrawal but reinstated at 5 beads and it made a big difference. It is not too late for you and I hope it helps you too. 

It is important to start low, if 5 beads does not help then it can be increased bead by bead until you are comfortable. Give it a week after reinstating to see if it is going to help before considering another increase. Let us know how you get on. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sujema,

Just wanted to add my support for you.  I am reading your thread closely as I hope to soon start tapering from Venlafaxine.  I am really feeling for you, and wishing that you will discover some previously hidden reserves of strength and hope.  I try to tell myself that even when I'm overwhelmed with fear and sadness and everything else, that still inside me is goodness and strength and hope.  They are harder to see during hard times, but they are still there - they never leave us. 

I believe they are there for you too.

Sending you also warmth and love and gentleness,

Karen 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen, thank you for your support. Still holding off reinstating, to ease these debilitating WD symptoms. Trying to be patient, in the knowledge that the symptoms ebb....and flow. Learning so much from those amazing people who have paved the way, citing their own experience, and others who have researched and shared their knowledge. Trying to make an informed decision, rather than making life changing decisions, in the midst of overwhelming fear. As I did when I trusted well meaning, but ignorant Medicos.

Day to day,.,, trusting my instinct to heal myself. I have to believe..."this too, shall pass".

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Windows and Waves , Sujema.   It comes and it goes.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello all,

Prior to the commencement of Effexor, I was experiencing severe depression, (MDD) with suicide ideation, fatigue,etc.

Since I am 3 weeks off the SNRI after a 2 month taper, and experiencing the same PRE med symptoms, how can I be sure that I am not just experiencing a 'Relapse' of MDD??

NB: Whilst ON regular 37.5 mg Effexor although the suicidal thoughts diminished, I did not have complete cessation of depressive symptoms, (less frequent, often every other day, with chronic fatigue, highly elevated cholesterol and GI inflammation, hence the move to discontinue.)

Depression/dispair.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sujema ,

Before you were started on Effexor , you were taking Lexapro (during 2013).   I'm curious to know how long you took it for , and when you stopped.

Knowing what you know now , is it possible that before you were started on Effexor , you were experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping Lexapro?

Best ,     Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Your story is very much like my own with effexor. I too was suffering what they called MDD, an unremitting depressive episode of bi-polar. I started effexor but took it for 5 years at 75mg before I cut to 37.5 because of the side effects.  Fast forward another 5 years and I was really ill, housebound and bedridden at times. No energy, absolute and utter fatigue that meant I couldn't even take a shower without collapsing into bed after.  I had gallstones after the years on it, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Pain in all my joints, I have arthritis too but this was even worse. Muscle pain and weakness, it hurt even to touch my skin on my arms Scratching an itch was so painful it felt like I was using a knife to scratch it with. My memory had gone and I couldn't remember basic things, constantly looking for my glasses when I had them on, looking for the phone while I was texting or even during a call I would look for the phone! 

I couldn't remember my own grandchildrens' names and got my kids names mixed up all the time. A lot of people said they were just the same but they were not, this was unrelenting. I had to give up driving because one day I was driving and suddenly didn't know how to stop the car. Thankfully it wasn't an emergency, just needed to stop but couldn't remember what to do!  I could go on and on, the doctors thought I might be suffering early onset alzheimers 

but scans showed clear and I was told it was my depression over and over again.  I had reacted to every drug they had given me and said they couldn't increase the effexor because of the side effects I had earlier. ( mania, headaches etc. ) 

Then one day I put my drugs into drugs.com and discovered the side effects, all of which I had in spades. I decided then and there that I was getting off them.  Over the years I had tried  cold turkey, that didn't last more than a few days because the brain zaps were EXCRUCIATING! Then I asked the doctor who gave me a taper plan.........far far too fast as they all are, I had withdrawal and felt very depressed again so went back. They said I needed it for life.

Then after I saw the info on drugs.com I  did some research and started to taper more slowly, I thought I was going very slow but it was still too fast and I had withdrawal after  a few weeks of thinking I was fine. I was depressed and thought that maybe I DID need them for life like the doctors said and was suicidal because I couldn't live with them and it seemed couldn't live without them either.  I couldn't go back to either state, bed ridden ( and depressed )on or depressed off and severely agitated off.  Ironically the side effects lessened as my taper progressed and I felt much better, until withdrawal! 

I found this site and they helped me to see that reinstating just a few  beads was an option.  The first dose was too high and I had some effects from it but I dropped a bead and settled on 4 beads. It took a few months to stabilise enough to restart tapering but I was functional and much better than when I was on 37.5.  I also realised later that my 'MDD' which led to effexor was withdrawal from another drug I had taken previously. 

I know you never want to take that poison again, and believe me every time I pop that little bead in my mouth I am angry at the doctors and hate taking it but I will continue until my nervous system has recovered enough to let it go. Having faith is good, I have a very strong faith but that doesn't stop the physiological withdrawal symptoms of a destabilised nervous system. I am glad that I reinstated because I am now doing so much better yet some people who have been suffering from protracted withdrawal for the same amount of time are still in that nightmare. 

2002  effexor. 

Hi sujema ,

Before you were started on Effexor , you were taking Lexapro (during 2013). I'm curious to know how long you took it for , and when you stopped.

Knowing what you know now , is it possible that before you were started on Effexor , you were experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping Lexapro?

Best , Fresh

Depression/dispair.

Hi Fresh ,

Yes you are right, I was on Lexapro for. 3 months prior to Effexor. Diagnosed With MDD before the Lexapro, experiencing the symptoms I mentioned.

Apart from the horrendous physical side affects on Effexor , as I said. , the depression did occur but to a lesser degree. Since I've come off it, the depression and anxiety have returned with a vengeance , and I guess , the million dollar question is, is this a relapse of my original condition??

I very much appreciate your input .

Depression/dispair.

Your story is very much like my own with effexor. I too was suffering what they called MDD, an unremitting depressive episode of bi-polar. I started effexor but took it for 5 years at 75mg before I cut to 37.5 because of the side effects. Fast forward another 5 years and I was really ill, housebound and bedridden at times. No energy, absolute and utter fatigue that meant I couldn't even take a shower without collapsing into bed after. I had gallstones after the years on it, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Pain in all my joints, I have arthritis too but this was even worse. Muscle pain and weakness, it hurt even to touch my skin on my arms Scratching an itch was so painful it felt like I was using a knife to scratch it with. My memory had gone and I couldn't remember basic things, constantly looking for my glasses when I had them on, looking for the phone while I was texting or even during a call I would look for the phone!

I couldn't remember my own grandchildrens' names and got my kids names mixed up all the time. A lot of people said they were just the same but they were not, this was unrelenting. I had to give up driving because one day I was driving and suddenly didn't know how to stop the car. Thankfully it wasn't an emergency, just needed to stop but couldn't remember what to do! I could go on and on, the doctors thought I might be suffering early onset alzheimers

but scans showed clear and I was told it was my depression over and over again. I had reacted to every drug they had given me and said they couldn't increase the effexor because of the side effects I had earlier. ( mania, headaches etc. )

Then one day I put my drugs into drugs.com and discovered the side effects, all of which I had in spades. I decided then and there that I was getting off them. Over the years I had tried cold turkey, that didn't last more than a few days because the brain zaps were EXCRUCIATING! Then I asked the doctor who gave me a taper plan.........far far too fast as they all are, I had withdrawal and felt very depressed again so went back. They said I needed it for life.

Then after I saw the info on drugs.com I did some research and started to taper more slowly, I thought I was going very slow but it was still too fast and I had withdrawal after a few weeks of thinking I was fine. I was depressed and thought that maybe I DID need them for life like the doctors said and was suicidal because I couldn't live with them and it seemed couldn't live without them either. I couldn't go back to either state, bed ridden ( and depressed )on or depressed off and severely agitated off. Ironically the side effects lessened as my taper progressed and I felt much better, until withdrawal!

I found this site and they helped me to see that reinstating just a few beads was an option. The first dose was too high and I had some effects from it but I dropped a bead and settled on 4 beads. It took a few months to stabilise enough to restart tapering but I was functional and much better than when I was on 37.5. I also realised later that my 'MDD' which led to effexor was withdrawal from another drug I had taken previously.

I know you never want to take that poison again, and believe me every time I pop that little bead in my mouth I am angry at the doctors and hate taking it but I will continue until my nervous system has recovered enough to let it go. Having faith is good, I have a very strong faith but that doesn't stop the physiological withdrawal symptoms of a destabilised nervous system. I am glad that I reinstated because I am now doing so much better yet some people who have been suffering from protracted withdrawal for the same amount of time are still in that nightmare.

Depression/dispair.

Mamma P,

I empathise with your story, it was an awful time for you. Exactly like mine, but 'on steroids ' !!

Do you still experience depression and anxiety at this tapering dose ?

And have you had some relief from physical and memory symptoms?

Depression/dispair.