SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Matthew914: Generic vs brand name Paxil

Matthew914

Hello Everyone. You might remember me from Paxil Progress as the person who started the post regarding Paxil and Garcina Cambogia and the cold turkey I went through when I stopped the GC while still trying to come off paxil. I was down to about smidge of paxil. Probably around 2 mg. While going through the "horrible" withdrawals of the GC, I went back to 10mg of Paxil and since then(October) I've made it through the rain and since then I have been steady up until the last couple of weeks. 

I had a small brain zap and on a Friday night on the right side of my head while out to dinner about three weeks ago. I then had a small panic attack on the drive home. Over the next couple of weeks, i have just felt out of it. I am not motivated, I feel spacy, just lost in my own mind, and still have some pain on the right side of my head. Then, last week I got my prescription refilled on the paxill 10mg (generic brand) and since then I have really been feeling like I am in a wihdrawal pattern even though I havent changed anything. I have always taken the generic brand of paxil. In addition, I have noticed that I am not sleeping through the nights and I have been having some night sweats. Does anyone think that I may have received a bad batch of the generic brand Paxil????? Does this sound like another withdrawal or a crash??? I had been doing so well since I made it through the GC withdrawals, but lately I have been depressed and feeling like total crap and just dont know why. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Stay strong everyone. We will beat this!!!!

Matthew914 -

Edited by scallywag
tags added

April 2016 cut .25 in half and took until April 24, 2016 when i stopped.

March 2016 tapered to .25 until April 2016

Feb 2016 tapered to .50 until March 2016

Jan 16 - tapered to .75 until Feb 2016

Updosed to 10mg Mid May until Dec 2015

Updosed to 7.5mg Mid-April to first of May

Dropped to 5mg in February until mid April

Reupped Paxil to 10mg in Sept 2014 until February 2015.

Started with 3/4 of a pill...to half a pill to 1/4 of a pill by January 2014

Mid summer of 2013 started cutting 10mg. Started to tapper off paxil CR in fall of 2012. Went from 25mg - 12.5mg. January 2013 12.5mg - 10mg of regular paxill.

Prescribed paxil CR 25mg in 2008. Tried to quit cold turkey in fall of 2009. Almost killed me. Back on paxil CR 25mg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matthew914

• Altostrata

• KarenB

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to SA. I'm sorry you are struggling at the moment. It could be a delayed withdrawal effect or a reaction to something. Have you had any other medications (antibiotics?) or supplements lately?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks for the reply. NO. Nothing has changed. I just wonder if the generic pills are just that GENERIC with bad ingredients.

Mid summer of 2013 started cutting 10mg. Started to tapper off paxil CR in fall of 2012. Went from 25mg - 12.5mg. January 2013 12.5mg - 10mg of regular paxill.

Prescribed paxil CR 25mg in 2008. Tried to quit cold turkey in fall of 2009. Almost killed me. Back on paxil CR 25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

There can be issues with generic pills - https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=issues%20with%20generic%20paxil

But this would usually kick in when substituting brand name for generic or perhaps swapping from one to another.   It could be a quality control issue for the batch but you would never know.

It could also be some delayed withdrawal hitting.  We have people here that have experienced that.  

I would sit tight for the moment.  Monitor your reactions but don't invest too heavily in them.  It can be disheartening but you are right, we will beat this.   We have a cursing thread if you feel like unloading some of that frustration - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1081-the-cursing-thread/

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thank you Dalsaan. I appreciate your thoughts. I have come to believe other people's perspective on these drugs than actual doctors. I just feel like we are all victims and the drug companies and doctors could care less about us. That's why we need to stick together and fight this together.

• 1 month later...

I'm debating on whether or not to increase my dude of paxil. I'm experiencing a pain in the right side of my head that bothers me. It's not my eye sight as I went to my eye doctor for a check up. I'm on the verge of going to yhe doctor or ER to have it checked but I'm sure it's thses F'ing pills to blame. I just want to e normal again and it's hard to accept the fact that I won't ever be. Thoughts anyone on how to cope with this?

(((((Matthew))))) No permanent damage. Time will heal you, sweetheart. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Take care of yourself, eat healthy, drink water and do light exercise. You'll get there.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone. Just wanted to give an update as to where I stand getting off of Paxil. I dropped my dose from 10mg to 7.5mg to now 5mg and have been on 5mg for the last month and a half. I am still experiencing some pains in the right side of my head only and the pain drops down into the right side of my face only. Its so weird. I dont have any pain, zaps, etc anywhere else but the right side. In addition, I am battling small spells of anxiety and panick attacks but I try to work through them. I so want to go to the doctor to have these pains checked out to make sure they aren't anything more serious, but I know in the back of my mind that its probably these stupid pills. I so wish there was some detox program we all could take that would flush this crap out of our bodies and make us normal again. I guess that would just be a miracle. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Stay Strong everyone.

• Administrator

Hello, Matthew.

You are tapering rather fast. You may wish to hold at 5mg for a while and let your nervous system settle down.

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage? and Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

When people are down to a low dosage, as you are, and particularly with Paxil, they often find they need to reduce by less than 10%.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

If I were to reinstate, what doasge should i go back to in order to stabilize or level off to some sort of normality? I feel like for the past month and a half I have just been on a turbulent flight from hell. I cant seem to find smoothe air. My thoughts and my head seem to be all at of whack. I am fearful that I have damaged my nervous system beyond repair. I so hate these stupid drugs and wish I was never presecribed them. The only hope I have is this site as I can not go to my doctor as she doesnt know anything about treating someone, only writing prescriptions. This withdrawal is the worse I have exeperienced as it seems like nothing is getting better, only worse. Thoughts?

• Administrator

An updose would be maybe up to 6mg. Liquid Paxil makes measuring this easier.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

so you would NOT recommend me going back to 10, 12.5 or even the original 20mg CR to level out and start over? this is pure crap going through these withdrawals. i wish they would not last that long.

• Administrator

It's impossible to predict what will work, but going up to 6mg is a way to test if a little more would be better.

If you updose further, you might find you are sensitized to Paxil and have a bad reaction. Or, you might not need that amount of an updose, but you'll have that much more to taper off later.

Hello everyone. I need some support and encouragement. I have been struggling with this damn tapering of Paxil. It seems like ever since I stopped taking garcinia cambogia (those might remember me from paxill progress) I feel like I have just been in s complete battle trying to get off Paxil. I was down to 2.5mg of Paxil from 20mg over 1 1/2 years of tapering and when I stopped the GC pills and had a major meltdown, it seems like I just can't level out and feel normal. I have been battling between 10mg to 5mg but I have been experiencing a lot more anxiety, right side head pain that comes and goes, achy joints and muscles, coughing, agoraphobia, weight gain, loss of sexual desire, fears, etc. I just don't feel like I use too and I look back as this has been going on since September. I try to stay strong and not quit, but I just don't know how much more I can take. I just want to feel good again. It seems like that will only happen when I go back on full dose of Paxil. I just hate this crap. No one seems to understand us but us. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matthew,

I actually remember a time I used generic zoloft and suffered slight withdrawal symptoms.

[*]At 15 years was put on 50mg of Zoloft for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

[*]2006 Tried to withdrawal from 50mg . Doctor told me I would have no trouble. I tampered over about a month (50mg-0) which left me with severe and debilitating withdrawal symptoms. Doctors put my dose up to 75mg mistaking my withdrawal symptoms as a relapse. Stayed on Zoloft 75mg since 2006.

March 2015- adverse reaction between Zoloft (75mg) an antibiotic and anti nausea drug resulting in debilitating symptoms/recovery identical to withdrawal. Have not altered or changed dose since 2006.

I'm done. I'm giving in. I can't take this anymore. This is not life. I've tried to taper off this stupid drug and I have been right for the past 4 months. Guess I will go back to 20mg of regular Paxil to see what that does. I was originally put on 25mg of paxill cr but I haven't taken that for a couple of years. Something has messed up my body, and mind and I can't take it anymore. I was down to a smidge of Paxil last year but I was also taking that garcinia cambogia crap. Seems like since I stopped that all hell has broken loose. Well something has to change. I own a business and I can't be like this any longer. I guess the evil big pharma has won.

• 2 weeks later...

NEED ADVICE ASAP. I did not give in just yet to increasing my dosage back to my original dose of 25mg, but I am on the verge. I have been holding on 10mg for over a couple of weeks now after getting down to 5 mg and could not handle it. I was getting very anxious, depressed, and agoraphobic to say the least. After undosing to 10 mg things somewhat subsided but have not gone away. In addition I have been getting this mild to sharp pain only on the right side of my brain and when it happens I get anxious that something serious is wrong with me. Each morning I wake up with extremely dry mouth and whenever I do anything physical I sweat extremely bad. Now today for the first time I am extremely nauseous in the morning. What is going on with me? Have I pooped out on Paxil? I am tired of feeling like this and would rather just get back to a normal, functioning life even if I had to take a higher dosage for a while and then try to retaper. This crap is for the birds. Please someone give me some advice before I resort to going to the doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Matthew, I have removed the new topic you made as we have a rule of 1 topic per person here in the intro forum.  I'm sorry that you had to wait a while for answers, staff are all volunteers and either busy with life or suffering badly themselves and only able to be here occasionally.  

On 5th May you said that the only symptom is the head pain,  

Hello Everyone. Just wanted to give an update as to where I stand getting off of Paxil. I dropped my dose from 10mg to 7.5mg to now 5mg and have been on 5mg for the last month and a half. I am still experiencing some pains in the right side of my head only and the pain drops down into the right side of my face only. Its so weird. I dont have any pain, zaps, etc anywhere else but the right side. In addition, I am battling small spells of anxiety and panick attacks but I try to work through them. I so want to go to the doctor to have these pains checked out to make sure they aren't anything more serious, but I know in the back of my mind that its probably these stupid pills. I so wish there was some detox program we all could take that would flush this crap out of our bodies and make us normal again. I guess that would just be a miracle. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated. Stay Strong everyone.

On 12 May seem worse.

If I were to reinstate, what doasge should i go back to in order to stabilize or level off to some sort of normality? I feel like for the past month and a half I have just been on a turbulent flight from hell. I cant seem to find smoothe air. My thoughts and my head seem to be all at of whack. I am fearful that I have damaged my nervous system beyond repair. I so hate these stupid drugs and wish I was never presecribed them. The only hope I have is this site as I can not go to my doctor as she doesnt know anything about treating someone, only writing prescriptions. This withdrawal is the worse I have exeperienced as it seems like nothing is getting better, only worse. Thoughts?

Alto suggested a small updose to 6mg to see if that helped. Then on 19 May....

Hello everyone. I need some support and encouragement. I have been struggling with this damn tapering of Paxil. It seems like ever since I stopped taking garcinia cambogia (those might remember me from paxill progress) I feel like I have just been in s complete battle trying to get off Paxil. I was down to 2.5mg of Paxil from 20mg over 1 1/2 years of tapering and when I stopped the GC pills and had a major meltdown, it seems like I just can't level out and feel normal. I have been battling between 10mg to 5mg but I have been experiencing a lot more anxiety, right side head pain that comes and goes, achy joints and muscles, coughing, agoraphobia, weight gain, loss of sexual desire, fears, etc. I just don't feel like I use too and I look back as this has been going on since September. I try to stay strong and not quit, but I just don't know how much more I can take. I just want to feel good again. It seems like that will only happen when I go back on full dose of Paxil. I just hate this crap. No one seems to understand us but us. Thoughts?

Now you are on 10mg, can you tell us of all the changes between May 5th and now, did you go to 6,mg or go straight to 10, I'm asking because you said you have been battling between 5 and 10?Have you any new or worse symptoms since going up to 10?  I'm sorry for all the questions, they can be tiresome but they answers will help us to understand better what is happening . 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Matthew, it can take some time for your system to stabilize after an updose. If 10mg worked, stick with that for a good while. Do not go up and down in dosage, that adds to the destabilization. Be very regular and gradual. Take Paxil at the same time every day.

You may still have waves and windows for a time.

I strongly suggest you read

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Thanks Everyone for your responses and Thanks MammaP! As for the updosing, i went up from 5mg to 7.5mg for a couple of weeks and felt somewhat better but still had alot of symptoms mainly fatigue, nasuea, head pain on the RIGHT SIDE only, agrophobia, high cortisol in the mornings, depression, dehumanization, etc. So I just decided to go back up to 10mg as that has been the highest dose i have been on in almost 2 years. I'm really concerned with the sharp pain in the right side of my head ONLY that comes and goes, but when it comes, it throws me into another fear, depressive state and make everything worse as I worry that something major is wrong. I am also very depressed, have no desire for anything, lots of brain fog, no emotion, just a total "numb" feeling. I push my self so hard everyday just to keep going, but I am tired and exhausted and just want to be normal again. looking back, i felt better when i was using a stronger dose of this crap than i do now? i realize my CNS, BRAIN, etc need to be revamped and time for healing, but this is ridiculous. i have never felt worse in all the times i have been on this crap. i cant believe i was able to come down from 25 mg of paxil CR to 10mg of regular paxil without much problems. it was nothing like this. i am almost zombie like or non functional in my mind just teetering between 5mg and now back to 10mg. dropping from 25 to 10 was a cake walk compared to this. I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

• Moderator Emeritus

It can take some months to stabilise, you need to be consistent with the doses. I really don't know what to suggest for the headaches, they sound very much like the cluster headaches that I get, or used to get as they started to get better as I tapered off effexor, but came back in full force when I quit too soon and had withdrawal.

They are so painful and sudden that they could have me unable to open my eyes in minutes. The eye would be watering and the pain was behind the eye and piercing into my brain, very unpleasant indeed. Eye checks and brain scan were fine. I didn't take drugs for it because I am so sensitive, and would lie down until it passed.  There is a topic on migraine, maybe there will be something there that will help. You should maybe see the doctor to rule out other causes, but you will be offered more drugs that would likely  have some adverse effects due to your very sensitive nervous system. Most of us can't tolerate drugs in withdrawal. 

Time is the greatest healer here,  and patience, something that we have all had to learn unfortunately.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6024-what-is-this-migraine/?hl=migraine 

People generally find magnesium and fish oil helpful , maybe they would help with the head pain, magnesium is calming and fish oil helps with brain zaps and dizziness. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Mammap do you think stopping magnesium would have any effects? I had been taking magnesium citrate for a while and then I noticed it had gluten in it do I stopped taking it. I skipped out for s week and that's when it seems like my symptoms got worse. I started taking it again today.

• Moderator Emeritus

I take magnesium glycinate every day with omega 3 fish oil, it really helps me. I wasn't aware of the gluten, maybe other makes don't have gluten. I find it calming and soon feel out of sorts if I don't take it. See how you feel in a week or two, it may be a real help to you too. 

2002  effexor. 

I'm going to go back on the magnesium. Something has changed. I need to get my spirits up and out of this depressive state. I find it hard to believe that it could the Paxil. I've been on 10mg for atleast 3 weeks. I just tired of feeling like this

NEED EXPLANATION. So I have been on Paxil since 2008 taking 25mg CR until 2013 and then I started taping my dose down to where I am now at 10mg. It seems like ever since I stopped taking Garcinia Cambogia, and had my major anxiety attack it seems like I have had some kind of brain/thought damage. Especially the last 3-4 months. I worry more, anxious more, lost a lot of feeling, emotion, etc. I know I have fluctuated my doses back n forth by I have been steady on 10mg for about 3 weeks and I seemed worse than when I was on 25mg for 5 yrs. I just feel like there has been some damage done to my brain and over thought process on the smaller dose on a short period of time verses the higher amount for a longer period of time. Any explanation for this? Will this ever go away? I was much happier at the higher dose than this lower dose.

• Administrator

The reaction you attribute to Garcinia Cambogia sound like withdrawal symptoms from the Paxil. Your stopping the Garcinia Cambogia was probably simply coincidental. Your assumption the Garcinia Cambogia caused your symptoms is probably incorrect.

You were tapering Paxil too fast.

We're giving you our best guesses about what you might do. If you wish to take a higher dose of Paxil, that's up to you. It means if you want to go off it, your taper will be longer.

Even if you go up to a higher dose of Paxil, even if you go to a higher dose than you've ever taken before, it make take some time before you stabilize. You may never get the same beneficial effects you got before from Paxil.

It's up to you what you want to do. You need to negotiate with your own nervous system.

Do you think I could be having s Paxil poop out? Last year at this time I was down to 2.5 mg of Paxil but I was taking close to 3000mg on GC. The only time I increased my Paxil was when I had my breakdown which was a week after I stopped the GC. I feel like I have ruined my brain, and CNS after stopping the GC pills as I have researched has an effect on your serotonin. Now I just feel like the paxill isn't working like it use too.

• Administrator

You have withdrawal syndrome.

I'm curious has any used the Road Back Program? Also since I have been steady around the 10mg dose, how could I be experiencing the withdrawal? Is it because my body has not had 25mg for over two years? It just seems weird that I am experiencing all these withdrawal symptoms now than when I dropped from 25mg to 12.5mg. I still have to wonder if those GC pills didn't have some effect on my brain and CNS since I was already on an anti-depressant drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

We don't recommend any of the commercial companies that claim to help people to withdraw from drugs. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1371-no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal/

When the nervous system becomes unstable because of a too fast taper it can take a long time to stabilise. The only way to be stable is to stick to the same dose, every day until the symptoms ease.  Going up could make things worse because you have become sensitive.  Listen to what Alto has said, she has gone into detail for you. 

2002  effexor. 

Thanks MammaP. I really appreciate you and everyone taking the time to respond to my posts. It's the positive straightforward answers that I need as reassurance to what I am going through. I never thought I would get this bad and I will admit I am a very impatient person. I keep telling myself that this too shall past and just takes time. I guess I just get angry as to how I use to feel compared to how I feel now and it's all because of a stupid pill. The brain fog, forgetfulness, the flu like symptoms, especially a cough, cortisol mornings, head pain,etc is really getting the best of me and it's hard when you own your own company, but I keep plugging away because I want to beat this and prove to myself that I can do this and be successful in getting off this drug. Since no one else around me understands this, I rely on people like you, Brassmonkey, altostratus, for my moral support to keep my spirits up. Funny how when you go to the doctor they are so quick to give you a pill to make things better, but when you are trying to get off that pill, there is nothing that will make that transition any easier but TIME.

• Administrator

Please read the links we give you. Your questions are answered there.

I read thread on magnesium and I'm wondering if the magnesium I have been taking for a few months is what is messing with me? I use to take a magnesium from cvs and switched to a mag citrate 160mg from vitamin world. Any thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus

Citrate didn't agree with me so I use glycinate and its fine. Whatever you try will not make the withdrawal go away unfortunately, only time will do that, your nervous system needs to stabilise. The mag might be the wrong one for you but whichever you try you will still have withdrawal, it wont cure it but can make it easier. 

It really is difficult to live with and we all feel, or have felt the need to do something, anything, in a desperate bid to make things better. We tell ourselves that we cant do this, but there is no choice we have to do it. It DOES get better with time, you WILL stabilise and get back to some form of normality. When you have stabilised I would recommend the micro taper from the 10mg, it is easier on the nervous system. You tapered too fast when you got to the low doses, many people do it, including me. I had to reinstate effexor and wait 7 months to get stable enough to restart tapering. That 7 months was agonising at times, with some good windows but horrific waves. Trying to go to a higher dose made things worse than ever because I had become sensitive while tapering. After reinstating I had to hold for months between drops and it was 2 years to taper 1mg! I am now off completely for 3 months and have been fine, apart from when I had a reaction to drugs following surgery but that wasn't anything to do with the effexor.  

Stick where you are and this will pass, you are able to go to work which is a good thing, it will get better than this and I hope you get a window soon but it is not long since going to 10mg so could take a while longer. Try to be patient, if you had broken your leg you would have to wait for it to heal and accept that you would be in some pain until it healed, you can't rush the healing process your body will heal at it's own pace but it WILL heal. 

2002  effexor. 

Thank you MammaP. I am so thankful and grateful for your response and advice. I am going to look into switching back to my original magnesium and see what happens. Beyond that I'm just going to just hang on. I will keep posting and I would do appreciate any response you could give me.

• Moderator Emeritus

I still have to wonder if those GC pills didn't have some effect on my brain and CNS since I was already on an anti-depressant drug.

My daughter was taking Garcinia Cambogia a while back, and got sick with GI issues. I did some research on it. Apparently it increases serotonin levels and one of its actions is to act like a mild SSRI. Some doctors are saying it shouldn't be combined with SSRIs. 

Its good you are not taking it any more.

Various in vivo studies have contributed to the understanding of the anti-obesity effects of Garcinia/hydroxycitric acid via regulation of serotonin level and glucose uptake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3748738/

I think there's a possibility that when you stopped taking the GC suddenly, it may have contributed to increased withdrawal symptoms.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes