SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ arcade79: Trazodone Question

arcade79

Hi All,

I am currently tapering off of a benzo and my psych doc prescribed me trazadone and said it was perfectly safe.  I only took as needed during benzo withdrawals during tapering to help with insomnia.  I kept a log and here are the following days I took it:

I have no interest in taking this anymore after reading about w/d issue and dependency.  Based on the information below, will I need to taper?

12/8/2014      12mg
12/9/2014      12mg
12/19/2014     12mg
12/20/2014     12mg
12/21/2014     12mg
12/22/2014     12mg
12/29/2014     12mg
12/30/2014     12mg
12/31/2014     12mg
1/1/2015       12mg
2/4/2015       12mg
2/10/2015      12mg
2/11/2015      36mg
2/14/2015      25mg
2/15/2015      25mg
2/16/2015      25mg
2/20/2015      25mg
2/21/2015      25mg
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi  arcade , welcome to SA.   

You've been taking the trazodone for  a little over 6 months , and lots of people suffer harsh withdrawal if they just stop after that long.   Try to avoid that if at all possible.

Thankyou for the info. you've provided.

Are you currently on any benzos or other medications?

If you go into the Support section , you'll find lots of information on tapering , some specific to trazodone.

Good to have you here ,

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Silver Star,

Those date formats are American.  I've been taking it only 9 days in December and 9 days in February and not every day.

I'm really concerned about my PRN use, and I just stopped using it, so if I need to taper, I need to know. This situation could be urgent if I need to reinstate in order to taper.

Hi All,

I am currently tapering off of a benzo and my psych doc prescribed me trazadone and said it was perfectly safe.  I only took as needed during benzo withdrawals during tapering to help with insomnia.  I kept a log and here are the following days I took it, the dates are American format:

I have no interest in taking this anymore after reading about w/d issue and dependency.  Based on the information below, will I need to taper?

I'm really concerned about my PRN use, and I just stopped using it, so if I need to taper, I need to know. This situation could be urgent if I need to reinstate in order to taper.

12/8/2014      12mg

12/9/2014      12mg

12/19/2014     12mg

12/20/2014     12mg

12/21/2014     12mg

12/22/2014     12mg

12/29/2014     12mg

12/30/2014     12mg

12/31/2014     12mg

1/1/2015       12mg

2/4/2015       12mg

2/10/2015      12mg

2/11/2015      36mg

2/14/2015      25mg

2/15/2015      25mg

2/16/2015      25mg

2/20/2015      25mg

2/21/2015      25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh , I see.    These are individual dates.    Thankyou for clarifying..     I'm sure someone knowledgeable about this will respond soon.

My name is Fresh  :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay  arcade , I think I get it.   

I wouldn't think you'd have to taper it in order to stop after 9 days.   If you need to use it prn you could try a tiny dose , half or quarter of 25mg.

Perhaps slowing down the benzo taper to make it smoother , will alleviate the need for any prn?

Definitely a good move on your part to seek info. and advice at this point.

Best wishes ,   Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh.

Makes me feel better.  I didn't want to deal with another dependency.  I also posted in the support forum and I'm sure I'll get the same answer.

The funny thing is my pill bottles say to take 1 daily.  Glad I checked.

Added info.  I am/was taking this prn while tapering off of valium.  Benzo w/d causes insomnia for me.  I'll use other methods to treat my insomnia.

*this post moved from thread in tapering section

Fell asleep just fine tonight without traz and woke up with a lot of anxiety. Not sure if from benzo w/d or traz.

Edited by Petunia
added note
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome arcade79,

If I'm reading your post right, you have been taking irregular small doses of trazodone as needed over the course of the last 3 months, 18 doses in total.  This has been to help with sleep issues caused by Valium withdrawal.  I agree that you shouldn't need to taper and strongly suggest you don't use this nasty drug again.

Trazodone's active metabolite, mCPP, does the opposite of aiding sleep -- it's very, very activating, often in an unpleasant way.

I will post the link to our trazodone topic here, not because you need to taper off it, but just for your information.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

How are you tapering off Valium?  If you are doing a slow, safe taper, there should be no need for you to take other drugs to help with sleep.  It would be helpful if you could provide some details of your Valium taper and any other drug history. 

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm concerned that you may be tapering too fast and combined with the way you have been taking trazodone, your nervous system may have become destabilized, you may need a short break from tapering to let things settle down for a while.  If you could give us a few more details, that would help us understand your situation.

How are you feeling at the moment and do you have any other symptoms besides insomnia?

Once you get back to us with more details about your drug history and situation, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Here is the link to our benzo tapering section:

Members-only benzo forum

But for now, if you could post here in your own introduction/update thread, that would be best, until we have a few more details.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petunia. I counted my traz pills and out of the 30 prescribed and I have 13 left so I was really close with my log. I am glad I was warned about this drug and was proactive. I'll put more about my valium taper shortly but right now my pdoc is using the Ashton method with me. A lot of trial and error in beginning but things went well for a bit but zI hit a wall at 4mg valium. Might have moved too fast and now the past drops might be hitting me a bit. I was able to fall asleep just fine tonight without traz but woke up with a lot of anxiety, might be worry from traz use or benzo w/d anxiety. Waking up to anxiety has happened the last 4 days. This hasn't happened when I was tapering above 4mg. I told my pdoc this and he prescribed gabapentin. I was recommended to stay away from this drug also and haven't touched it. So it sounds like I need to hold at 4mg for awhile. Been holding for ,19 days so far.

I was worried tonight the traz use was causing my anxiety. I am really sensitive to meds. Will try to get some sleep now and I will add more about my Valium taper after some rest. The challenge will be convincing my pdoc to slow down or finding another pdoc.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Arcade

There are a lot of suggestions for managing anxiety without drugs in our symptoms section. If it was me I wouldn't be throwing anymore drugs into it. It's like throwing petrol onto a fire to try and put it out. Yes it's wet but it's also explosive. I would also be inclined to ask your pdoc for non drug solutions and if he/she can't offer you any then reconsider whether this is the best person for you.

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Brief summary of my history.

Back in Sept 14 to November 14 I was prescribed Xanax .25mg to help me sleep during a bout of esophagitis.  Little did I know about benzo dependency and was hit with withdrawal symptoms for 2 months not knowing what was going on.  I only took between .125 and .25.  I went to ER with no sleep for 4 days, they did not identify benzo w/d and gave me an IV of ativan.  Next day I figured out for myself what was going on.  Monday morning the w/d was more intense from ER ativan.  I went to family doc and she referred me to my pdoc.  Went through w/d for 2 days, she gave me a little klonopin to get me through, I only took two low doses.  When I met with pdoc I had no idea about ashton method so I trusted him.  He start with 15mgV 3 days, 10mgV 3 days and 5mgV 3 days then stop.  Of course that didn't work.  He then tried a 1mg weekly rapid taper and that failed the first week.  I then discovered Ashton method and showed him.  He did not do a hold of the initial dose for 30 days before reduction.  He did .5 drop starting at 7mg every 10 days.  It worked out until I hit a wall at 4mg so here I am destabilized.  It was too fast and I think it's all hitting me now.  I need to find another pdoc because he wants me to drop to 3.5 in a few days.  I need to updose or hold here for awhile until stable.

Towards midway into 4mg I always wake up to benzo induced anxiety early in the morning.  It eventually goes away mid morning after the first day's dose.  I suspect inter-dose w/d?  Maybe it was the trazadone metabolite causing it?  I fell asleep fine last night wothout the traz but woke up a few hours later with intense anxiety and shaking.  Hopefully not traz related.

Anyway before this xanax deal the only med I take is prilosec 20mg because of my esophagitis issue.  I have no past issues with depression or GAD.  Maybe some acute or situational anxiety in the past but rare.  My pdoc tried to get me on lexapro but I declined and glad I did.  The only psyc med now is the Valium which I am tapering.  I am done with the PRN trazadone thanks to an individual on benzo buddies which pointed me to this site.

Any thoughts?

Since I am very symptomatic right now and not taking trazadone, what do you suggest? My brain jerks my body awake right when I am about to fall asleep.

• Administrator

Welcome, arcade.

Startling while attempting to sleep is a very, very common withdrawal symptom.

Has this doctor had any success adding gabapentin?

Knowledge of Ashton is actually pretty advanced for a psychiatrist. Please use search and see our discussions of the Ashton method.

However, people need to taper at individual rates. It sounds like you reduced Valium too fast. While Ashton discouraged updosing, people often find a slight updose can help get past a rough patch.

Did you have any problems after switching to Valium?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, arcade.

Startling while attempting to sleep is a very, very common withdrawal symptom.

Has this doctor had any success adding gabapentin?

Knowledge of Ashton is actually pretty advanced for a psychiatrist. Please use search and see our discussions of the Ashton method.

However, people need to taper at individual rates. It sounds like you reduced Valium too fast. While Ashton discouraged updosing, people often find a slight updose can help get past a rough patch.

Did you have any problems after switching to Valium?

I did not.  It was a direct switch since the xanax was a low dose.  I am definitely having a rough patch right now.  I will call him tomorrow to see if I can hold here for awhile or updose.  He did give me gabapentin but don't I have to taper from that at some point?

• Administrator

Yes, you would need to taper gabapentin. You cannot take it occasionally. I have never heard of it helping benzo withdrawal.

Carefully tapering Valium is a better idea.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

That would be your doctor's instruction, communicated to the pharmacy. Your doctor believes, without any basis that I know of, that gabapentin can be taken on an as-needed basis, and it can substitute for a benzo.

You might ask him why he thinks this.

It is not unusual for doctors to have odd ideas about psychiatric drugs.

See dosing instructions here http://www.drugs.com/dosage/gabapentin.htmlDo you see any as-needed instructions?

• Moderator Emeritus

You're in the drivers' seat arcade.    

If it were me I'd try an increase of 0.25mg.  

You don't need to call the on-call doctor for that.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Called pdoc today too see if I can hold longer or updose because he controls my pill count . He pushed back using the gabapentin rather then waiting to stabilize. My wife and I are now looking!ing for a new pdoc. He just wants to medicate me into the endless medication pit.

• Administrator

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

Feeling better today. Stable and slept well last night without additional drugs. Setting an appointment with a doc for liquid valium so I can try microtaper from here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are feeling better, hope it continues for you and you find a doctor to support you and give you the liquid for tapering   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 month later...

Update:

I am down to 3mg and will start taper soon with Liquid Valium.  I fired my first pdoc because he wanted to hurry my taper.  I found a benzo wise pdoc and he prescribed me liquid valium.  We'll see how my body reacts to that.

I forgot to mention when this mess first started happening my family doc tried to push AD's on me.  The first one was Paxil from my family doc.  I took it twice and then threw it out.  I lied to her and said the paxil gave me a headache, she then tried lexapro.  I took 3 pills and then threw that out.  I will never stick an AD in my mouth again. Thank goodness I caught those quick.

I am having a tough time in the lower numbers so I will be slowing it down and keeping it below 10% with the liquid.  The only other medication I take is Prilosec.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Arcade, how are you doing now?

• 1 month later...

Arcade, how are you doing now?

Really well.  I am close to being done with my valium taper and I have improved immensely since I first posted here.  Most of my withdrawal symptoms have subsided and getting on with normal life.  I am not 100% but I am getting there slowly.  Just mainly some minor physical symptoms that limit me.  I'll be fine in due time.  Thanks for asking.